• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wake County, NC - 'Scrub Education' Tournament [Date and Location set]

Negative Zero

Smash Apprentice
As I tried to imply by the topic title, I plan to hold a tournament to help teach the 'I'm better than you, Jiggs sucks, Mario is the best character in the game' sort of people what Smash is all about. I live in Southwest Wake County, near the Harnett County border. That is, I could see all the way to Angier if there weren't so many trees in the way. Anyway, I've been trying to hold this tournament for some time now, but I've been unable to find a place to host it. I've recently become aware that Gamefrog can be reserved for a period of time for the sake of holding tournaments, so I plan to do just that - charge an entry fee for the tournament and use that to pay to reserve Gamefrog for the time it would take to hold the tournament.
I plan to have two tournaments, a singles and a doubles tournament, with rules based on MLG's ruleset. (Four stock, eight minutes, items off, friendly fire on in doubles, only tournament-legal stages, a few more stages opened for counterpick, characters available for counterpick as well, etc.)

Edit: Tournament is happening on Saturday, January 20. It's happening at lord karn's house, which is 2018 Brilliant Drive, Raleigh NC, 27616.

Malk

Smash Champion
I'll try to come to this. It might just be scrub education, but come on, you all don't want all these kids thinking I'm the best there is do you?

PacStrife

Smash Ace
Malk everyone already knows you are the best :) Hey if you can make it though we should deffinatly team up man. Falcon + Jiggz = too good? falcon punch rest combo!!!!!!!

Anyways, I will try to make this tourney just make sure to keep us updated yo!

TridenT

Smash Cadet
Could you put up an address for this Gamefrog place? If it's not horribly, awfully far from the TN border I could swing out that way, possibly. (Depending on when, that is.)

Negative Zero

Smash Apprentice
I'll try to keep you all updated as much as possible, although not much progress is being made right now.

Negative Zero

Smash Apprentice
Yay for moonwalking. Anyway, I plan to actually start getting stuff done next week. I've been really busy lately, but that's culminating tomorrow, so past that point, I think I'll actually have time to call up Gamefrog to see if they'll actually let that happen. If not, I'll try to find a substitute quickly. This weekend is too short notice for my tournament, next weekend is when the Mourning Pirates are holding their tourny, so my best bet is either the weekend of the 20th or the weekend after. I know that I have exams on the 17th and 18th, so a tournament that weekend could be a good thing to help myself relax after the exams, or it might just distract me all week.

And hey, Toshiba, this will be my first tournament, too. >>;
Come if you can, but no pressure. To a large extent, I'm just testing the water for this one.

Edit: My friend suggests the 19th, since everybody in Wake County has that day off. Any comments?

hockey007

Smash Cadet
eh.. 19th?

I can't go if it was the 19th, do you guys have the 22nd off? It would be much easier to get to this tourney if it was the 22nd, we still have school the 19th :/

Negative Zero

Smash Apprentice
22nd? Isn't that a Monday?
Er, I'll see, but I dunno if that'll be possible. It's either that or the 20th, since some of you don't have the 19th off.

Toshiba

Smash Apprentice
ya for whatever reason we have monday off instead of friday, but i can do either 20,21,or 22. So let me know

Negative Zero

Smash Apprentice
It won't be much. A lot of people who don't play the game regularly will be there, I believe, so I don't want to raise the entrance fees else they might not come. So I'm thinking five each for singles, and ten per team. So, each person pays five for each part they enter. However, I'm not settled on this yet. One idea is to just have everyone pay a fraction of the amount Gamefrog charges to reserve the place, so that it's only a tiny amount of money for everyone, but there can't be prizes that way.

So hockey has trouble with 19, and Toshiba has a problem with 22. Would the 20th be alright with you all, then?

Matta_Mario

Smash Rookie
lots of ppl that dont play regularly huh, then we should definately have prize money if we arent going to beat anyone challenging lol. you should make the fee like 7 dollars. that way you squeeze two more bucks out of everyone without them feeling like holy **** thats ten dollars. besides most ppl pay eight dollars for a **** movie.

Malk

Smash Champion
Um. Yeah!
I agree!

Money isn't so important on this one. Just charge everyone a $10 door fee and give me half and the gamefrog half, it'll work out in the end.

Matta_Mario

Smash Rookie
im not too sure about that. if you get half and the other half goes to the rental, that leaves nothing for me, and thats unacceptable. so you rethink your math, and get back to me when you find out where my cut comes in

Toshiba

Smash Apprentice
20th is perfect, and 5 or 7, either way sounds good. I should definetly be able to make it, and bring atleast 1 if not 3 or more friends. If you had to guess how many people would be going, what would you say?

IntegraKid88

Smash Rookie
Lets see me Matta Mario, maybe like 2 more guys from around here and depending on the advertisment going on near the site of the tournament, plus people on here getting people from thier locations i would imagine a good number of people (20-30) and with the 5 dollars entry minus fee's......leaves a respectable pot for wins...but nothing to drool over

Matta_Mario

Smash Rookie
yeah we will probably all go together dublio. have you gotten any better yet ? lol integra thinks that he can beat you marth on marth lol, put him down for me!! that way i dont have to.. if you lose, of course marios gonna have to put his gloves on.... and since when do ppl think mario is the best in the game? ever since i started playing as mario ppl are like oh hes no good, dr is so much better, even an alright fox player can murder a master mario user. i guess im glad mario is getting some love even if it is from beginners lol. hey guy that is hosting this thing, who do you play as?

Matta_Mario

Smash Rookie
oh snaperella, number three might come. it sucks that ppl have to drive so far, and find times that work out for all and everything. hopefully with brawl an internet deal will be there and working. still i do like meeting new ppl, and there is nothin like sittin next to the guy youre killing and watching him sweat lol... of course it sucks when you are that guy lol.. and of course the free money is always nice.

Top Bottom