• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Even moar people!

I'll be there, but I'll be planning to leave 3:30ish, absolute latest at 4. If I don't, I know a lady that'll lose a boyfriend and gain a corpse ;)

Richard7

Smash Ace
Well, after some thought, I think I will no longer play Brawl competitively. I have been versing Sam a little bit more than what I usually would and I really think there's no point in trying anymore. The amount of frustration it causes is just not worth it. I may come (since its just down the road) and this may be my last tourny.

Muzga

Smash Ace
Even moar people!

I'll be there, but I'll be planning to leave 3:30ish, absolute latest at 4. If I don't, I know a lady that'll lose a boyfriend and gain a corpse ;)
Fair enough. god, most women are so scary!
lol smashboards is like a haven to me:p

(side note: thanks to my woman for helping with preperations for this tourny)

sorry turns out no one can come :(. We'll try and make the next one
naww thats a shame. maybe next time!

TunaInTheBrine

Smash Rookie
Hey guys

add another person to the list andre, I didn't check my email and another friend can make it =p His names Karl

It sucks you can't come Bob >_< and Ric, noooooooooooo don't give up!! I'll have a talk to you tomoz i suppose =p

See you lot tomorrow :D

EDIT: whoops, make that another friend on top of that, his names Adrian

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Dont give in Ric..! At least you have the advantage of versing Sam unlike the rest of us and seeing those vids has shown you have improved greatly and Diddy Kong WHOA is all i can say.. Hope the tourney went well and hope to hear some news about this GotGames tournament soon..!

Eagerly awaiting the next tourney.. as long.. as im home.. for it.. or i will have blood.. >_>

BLAH..!

Muzga

Smash Ace
Thanks everyone for coming!
Special thanks go to cal, eric, mic, niven and jon.
thanks guys for all your help setting up and recording matches and bringing the tvs and wiis, and the giving people lifts from the station!!
I really appreciate all of your help and effort.

im possibly going to be holding another one in 3 weeks- a month for those of you who are interested

But in the meantime, well done sam... YET AGAIN! gah!

Really good job Ric and Jon,
both of you did a really good job, it was very close this time.
I hope nobody was claustrophobic:p

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for hosting, it was great to see everyone there again. I don't think it was wise for me to enter in to that epic gano showdown >.>
Anyways grats to Sam and Jon once again for the amazing play, thanks for Muzga for taking the time and effort to make it work. I look forward to seeing all of you again at the next meet.

I'm going to start planning for a doubles tourney. I'll time it so it is when bob gets back not this time but the next, so it'll be on the 30th if things go as planned. I'll get to writing up the rules shortly (does anyone by any chance know a good source for doubles rules? It'd be greatly appreciated if you could direct me towards them.

Muzga

Smash Ace
I'm also considering upping entry to 10 bucks, but its only a consideration. whats the general consensus towards this? (should we use this thread for both tournies, or when i have the dates should i make a seperate thread?)

Also, i cant seem to find a solid ruleset for 2v2 brawl yet. maybe nobody's given it serious thought yet?
worst case scenario we come up with our own ruleset.

no objections this way!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'd lean towards 5 bucks for now, though that's probably because I'm cheap, heh.

2v2's in Melee (and from the SBR, Brawl) are the same rules, just team attack on, however there's usually one or two stages that change. (example, here's the melee stage list as a picture. Bottom colours were for teams, being green is neutral, yellow cp, red banned. http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/8236/mlgstagesphannauj4.jpg)

I don't think there's any lag issues, only one that's really being discussed to be changed for teams is Hanebow,.

Also, awesome matches everyone. Diddy, just wow. Not to mention, best tournament atire ever. Suits? Definetly dressed to Brawl with those.

EDIT: What were numbers like btw?

Muzga

Smash Ace
Hanenbow eh'?

God, i hate that stage.
ah well,

Yeah 5 bucks is enough, i think samuels getting enough money for now anyway. just figured id suggest it to add incentive for people to get better

Perfectly happy to keep it at 5 though

EDIT: oh, there were 20 entrants

EDIT2: whatd you all think of the willy wonka hat?
i thought it was a nice touch

Richard7

Smash Ace
Diddy Kong WHOA is all i can say..
Also, awesome matches everyone. Diddy, just wow.
What's so special about someone playing Diddy? :p I only just picked him up one or two days before the tourny and I don't know how to use any of his techniques, from what i've seen on the Diddy forums, he's got HEAPS. I'm still unsure on who to main though! :mad:

But yeah, good tourny, great turnout and sadly enough, Sam won again. A shame third place doesn't get any money, i've come third three times. :( I'm still unsure if i'm going to continue playing brawl competitively.

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
Doubles - Possible Map Lineup

Hey all, I've sat down this morning and had a bit of a think about what the map set should be for the doubles tournament. Post what changes you think should be made and the reasons for doing so, the current list is based off of my perception of how they would play out and follows the patterns that I've noticed on the melee stage neutrality list Mic posted - It'd be much appreciated if the more experienced smashers helped to finalize the list.

Neutral Stages
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Delfino Plaza (D)
Rainbow Ride (It’s neutral in Melee and, unlike Pokemon Stadium I can’t think of any changes that warrant moving it to counterpick. Let me know what you think)

Counterpick Stages
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Luigis Mansion
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 2
Distant Planet(D)
Pictochat
Mario Circuit (D)
Onett (D)
Green Greens (D)
Green Hill Zone (D)
Bridge of Eldin (D) (Possibly Neutral? Post your thoughts.)
Corneria (D)

BANNED
All other stages

Another question is the keeping of the D3 rule. In a 2v2 it would be much harder to land, considering that the one being grabbed has a friend who should be able to break them out, but if the other player also falls to an infinite (double d3, maybe?) then I could see things being somewhat unfair. This is another issue that I am unsure with and would like to hear the more experienced opinion on.

Anyways I'll make the official post tonight, I'm first going to try and make sure that Riot_fires is actually back on the day that I plan to host it.

Fire away with the feedback ;)

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for hosting, Muz. Grats to Sam and Jon for owning me in consecutive matches. >_< I should probably rock up earlier so I can have more than 1 match for warm up, not that it would have made a difference given my "lucky" draw.

I'm looking forward for some team tournaments soon.

Muzga

Smash Ace
yeah, sorry about that niv:p
if it happens again, you may demand a re-draw at one of my tournies:p

Riot fires: will you be back on the 23rd? thinking about hosting another one then.

as i said, should cal and my tournaments have seperate threads? it could get very cluttered in here

More tournaments=better. amirite?

Oh, and mic: if its from the SBR that works for me!:D

Tumnus

Smash Rookie
Hey guys me and le cheese will probably be along to the next tournie to check out how good you guys are. Why do you all have to live in woop woop.

Richard7

Smash Ace
I like the sound of team tournaments, they might change my sig. :D I'm guessing you're doing this because of the amount of times Sam has won, I don't blame you if you are.

Bah, never mind about the sig, it can't fit with the picture, but what i put in the sig was

Money used on Brawl tournaments: $45
Money earned from Brawl tournaments: $0
Yearly income: $50 - $100

Muzga

Smash Ace
I like the sound of team tournaments, they might change my sig. :D I'm guessing you're doing this because of the amount of times Sam has won, I don't blame you if you are.

Bah, never mind about the sig, it can't fit with the picture, but what i put in the sig was

Money used on Brawl tournaments: $45
Money earned from Brawl tournaments: $0
Yearly income: $50 - $100
Nah, its because the 2v2 is good as is.
Sams reign of terror may be over soon though.
Definitely getting closer each time.

There will be no puff next tournament:p

in the next 24 hours be expecting an official post about the next tournament im holding.
Woo! more tournies!!

Synnic

Smash Rookie
Another great turnout this time again and it was great to see a couple of new faces, hope to see you guys again at future tourneys...but I wont blame you if your reason is that Rockingham is too far, long train trips are long O.o...

Encoding of the videos is taking slightly longer this time around because I've been kinda busy with the new uni semester, about half of them are done so far, so expect them...soon-ish?

As for future tourney ideas, I'm with Mic on this one and probably prefer the $5 entry. Doubles tournament? Oh yeah I'm down for that, have had some pretty interesting doubles matches before and would love to see it done on a larger scale.

More tournaments=better. amirite?
Yes...and no (prepares flame shield). It's always great to get the chance to get together and play some competitive Brawl with everyone, but personally I'd prefer tourneys spaced apart a little, say with about a 1 week break in between each, rather than having them back to back...then again you guys have probably already thought about that and I'm just going through some useless ramble, so feel free to ignore at will!

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
PK Brawl: Doubles – Saturday 30th August
18 Morfontaine Pde – Port Kennedy

Entrance:
Entrance is $10 per team ($5 per person), if you do not wish to enter the tournament then you are welcome to come down to watch and play friendlies for no charge.

Signup:
In order to register, please contact me (Chris) on 0415857522 or let me know in this forum, When registering please provide the names of both players that will be playing as a team and, if you want, a name for your team. Please try to let me know as soon as possible, as late entrances may cause problems.

Start time:

12 noon – it is recommended that you arrive at least half an hour early though, so we are able to begin on schedule, I will be there from 9:00 am setting up though along with a few others, so if you want to get some games in before the tourney starts feel free to arrive earlier.

Prize:
Entrance fee split 80/20 1st + 2nd place.

Rules:

Each match will be 3 stock 8 minute time limit.

Items are off.

Team attack is on.

Life Stealing is allowed.

All stalling - including the MK infinite cape glitch - is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling. (citation from the SBR recommended rule list)

Controller Port Placement:
Controller ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion, if a debate arises over who takes what port, it shall be settled by rock paper scissors.

Each set will be decided through a best of 3 series of games with the Advanced Slobs counter-picking system. The format of this system is as follows:

For the first game of the set, both teams announce their characters that they will be using – this can be done without the other team knowing (optional).
The map is decided in one of two ways, if both teams are able to agree on a starter map then that one will be played, if the players are unable to agree on a map then it shall be decided through the game’s random function, which only contains maps on the starter list.

For the second and third game, the format is a bit different. The loser of the previous game first picks the map that will be played, this can be from the starter or counter-pick list. Once the map has been selected the winner of the previous game chooses their character, the loser – who has chosen the map – chooses their character last.

The Starter and Counter-pick stage list is as follows:

Starter Stages
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Delfino Plaza

Counterpick Stages
Rainbow Ride
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Luigis Mansion
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 2
Distant Planet
Pictochat
Mario Circuit
Onett
Green Greens
Green Hill Zone
Bridge of Eldin
Corneria
Hanenbow

BANNED
All other stages

We will be having two televisions running the tournament matches - both of these will be recording. The matches will be uploaded to youtube once they have been compiled. If you would like a match in uncompressed to higher quality feel free to approach me on the day with a storage device (blank DVD or USB) and I will happily transfer the clips onto it for you. I can also arrange to upload compressed clips to filefront, just contact me via PM if you want one. Clips usually range from 80 to 190 mb is size, depending on their length.

We will also have TV’s set up to run games other than smash, most likely we will have a television dedicated Guitar Hero and additionally I will try to bring another TV that can be used for friendlies/other games.

Currant Entrants List:
Cal + Brax
Rawt + Blapt
Sam + Ric
Eric + Muzga
Dan + Adro
Mic + Niven
Sam + Alex
Raymond + ?
Glenn + Alex
Quetzalcoatl + Kenton
? + ? (please let me know if this is you >.>)

Looking for a Team:
Let me know if you are looking for a partner and I'll add you here.

If required we can arrange lifts from Warnbro train station, it’s real easy to get here so don’t stress!

It is highly recommended that you bring your own controller.
I’m not 100% sure what the food setup will be, pizza seems to work well but if people want to try something else that’s fine, I’m up for anything.
There is adequate space for anyone that would like to stay the night.

If you would like to help out and bring spare consoles, games or TVs we would much appreciate it!

Muzga

Smash Ace
PK brawl 5! (singles)
for all of your PK needs!

*** Saturday September 13 ***
*** 9 parin Rd- Marangaroo ***

Entrance:
$5 to enter in to the tournament, if you don’t want to enter you are still welcome to come down and watch/play some non tournament matches.

Signup:
In order to register, please contact me (Andre) on 0421 744 909 or let me know in this forum or via PM, once I have received confirmation of your entry I will add you to the list. Please try to let me know as soon as possible, it can be quite difficult to organize brackets with odd numbers – especially when I’m unsure of the final amount of people turning up.

Start time:
12 noon – it is recommended that you arrive at least half an hour early though, so we are able to begin on schedule, I will be there from 9:00 am setting up. if anyone wants to come and help, come early to bring recording gear or play a few friendlies before the tourny starts, its your call. all help is appreciated!

Prize:
$5 entrance split 80/20 1st + 2nd place

Rules:
Each match will be 3 stock 7 minute time limit. Items are off.

Each set will be decided through a best of 3 series of games with the Advanced Slobs counter-picking system. The format of this system is as follows:

For the first game of the set, both players announce their character that they will be using without the other player knowing (optional).
The map is decided in one of two ways, if both players are able to agree on a neutral map then that one will be played, if the players are unable to agree on a map then it shall be decided through the game’s random function, which only contains maps on the neutral list.

For the second and third game, the format is a bit different. The loser of the previous game first picks the map that will be played, this can be from the neutral or counter-pick list. Once the map has been selected the winner of the previous game chooses their character, the loser – who has chosen the map – chooses their character last.

The Neutral and Counter-pick stage list is as follows:

Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpick Stages
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Luigis Mansion
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Battleship Halberd
Rainbow Ride
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 2
Distant Planet(D)
Pictochat
Delfino Plaza (D)
Mario Circuit (D)
Onett (D)
Green Greens (D)
Green Hill Zone (D)
Bridge of Eldin (D)
Corneria (D)

BANNED
All other stages

(D) signifies the stage is not selectable if someone is using Dedede, unless both players agree.

Also, MetaKnight's Infinite Dimensional Cape is counted as Stalling and is therefore banned

We will be having two televisions running the tournament matches. Like last time, i dont have any recording devices, so its up to YOU if you want the matches recorded:p

Sadly i only have one TV. (i only found out on the day of my last tourny that my other tv just can't connect to a wii.) If you bring a tv it'd help heaps. ideally we should have 3 tv's there. 2 for recording, one for other games/friendlies while the competitions underway. that being said, it's up to all of us to make this dream a reality:p

Currant Entrants List:
Muzga
Cal
Synnic
Shiekah
Riot_Fires
Dan
C7
Tumnus
Le_cheese
Mic_128
Niven
Bringer

In order to set this tournament up and make it work im going to need the support i had last time. thanks to everyone who helped out last time. hopefully this works out again:p
We (and i dont mean eric) will be offering lifts from warwick station and back for anyone who wants to come along!

Hope to see you there!
Take care!

EDIT: this could get really messy.

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
Put me down for the singles Muzga :D
I don't think it'll be too messy in terms of sorting out who is going in what, just as long as everyone makes it clear as to what exactly they are signing up for.

Btw, I'm adding a new section under the entrants list for those of you who are looking for a partner, this way people can easily see options for teaming up with other people that are currently without a team.

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Okay so im home now and to make life easier ive compiled a list of my weeks home..

AUGUST = 26th - 1st (Sep)
SEPTEMBER = 16th - 22nd
OCTOBER = 7th - 13th, 28th - 3rd (Nov)
NOVEMBER= 18th - 24th
DECEMBER = 9th - 15th

Rest is irrelevant cause its next year and im sure the GotGames tournament willresult and ill have a new roster out.. Hope this info helpos out for future tournaments so i might hopefully be home again sometime somewhere during one of these..

Ill be round for Cal's doubles tournament which should be a fun change but will be home a couple of days after muzgas tourney again QQ..

Hope to cyall round..

BLAH..!

Shiekah

Smash Cadet
Sign me up for both the singles and the doubles. Richard will be my team mate for the doubles ;)

Also, in your post for the singles tourny Andre, you have this written.

*** Saturday September 13 ***

I think u meant to put 23'd and not 13th :p

Synnic

Smash Rookie
*nudges sam* flip the calendar page and read off september rather than august, 23rd is fine :laugh:

Add my name to both singles and doubles tourneys as well, but im partner-less for the doubles atm, so I'll be on the "looking for" list. Who wants to adopt a fox/zamus/zelda and maybe ice climbers/snake? :)

Muzga

Smash Ace
add me to the doubles tourny as well. im looking for a partner!
(eric, youre probably ideal because we can get the most practise that way. its up to you)

EDIT: just to clear this up with anyone, my tourny will be 2 weeks after cals, not the 23rd of august (my previously suggested date.) just to clear that up

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
okay so i have some good news.. I will actually be home fore the 13th cause its my uncles 40th and im flying home early..

This means ill be there for your tournament on the 13th Sept (oh god plz dont change the date) AND for the doubles on the 30th Aug.. SO WOOT finally..!

Hope to see you peeps there.. and yes ive finally found an appropriate sticker for my new controller.. *insert maniacal laugh here*

BLAH..!

Synnic

Smash Rookie
Muzga and i will be teaming up so feel free to update the list

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
I've gone through the SBR rules and made a few changes to my rules list, mainly just a few switches of maps and clarifications, but it might be worth checking over it again to make sure.

Once we have 2 more teams enter we will be all good to run a double elim setup, will you be able to make it to this one Mic?

Tumnus

Smash Rookie
Will be in for the singles with le cheese, not sure about the doubles, how late do these shindigs usually run?

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
Usually we finish around 3-4, but no later than 5.
That is unless you plan to stay late for friendlies/misc games :p

Top Bottom