• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VS. Diddy Kong

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
This is for the matchup of DK vs dk. For me this is one of hardest matchups. His bannanas always **** me wsince DK is so **** big. Also he's very quick and small, and i seem to wiff alot of attacks. Again, the bannanas are a huge issue. And his recovery is pretty hard to gimp with bair. Any help please?

5yphon

Smash Cadet
Spike him when he does he >b with dair. That works pretty good for me, also use more ftilt and dtilt. Diddy is small so the bair is tough to hit. Ive been playing dk for a while and the 2 people i play that are decent both main diddy. Id say your best bet is to spike him in the >b its not hard to time.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
^ i've never tried the spiking Diddy out of his side b. but what i find works against the diddy i know is to just not get too worked up about getting owned by bananas. much like spammers their main thing is that thep piss you off... don't act so fast... space well and you'll minimize banana hits and you'll out reach diddy every time in close combat. so just learn spacing.

skuzzel

Smash Apprentice
you could also try picking up the bananas when you have time.

Even if you dont use it, one in your hand is one that's not on the ground...

Ebonyks

Smash Apprentice
This matchup is interesting.

The key is to play defensively to reduce the impacts of banana spam. Use lots of shield grabs and down smashes, and down-b for diddys who approach with his dash attack. Banana spam is annoying, but you can get around it. You die at a much higher percentage than he does. Just be careful around edges, diddy's spike outprioritizes donkey's up-b, so getting knocked off could lead to an early death.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Block a banana then jump out of shield and grab it with either Z, or an aerial. You can also grab bananas on the ground with aerials. Bair close to the ground works well.

DK can use bananas quite well since his glide toss covers a lot of distance. Glide toss to Fsmash/Punch/DownB/>B is good.

Diddy has problems killing DK, the only real kills he has is Fsmash over 150% or so, Ftilt at like 180%, Fair around 160%ish. DK outranges all of these kill moves with Ftilt and Bair, so the best way for Diddy to land a KO hit is to hit you with a banana first. So just watch out for theose bananas at higher % and you should be able to survive into the 200%s.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Like what the above poster says, try to control the banana game. Since I'm a diddy user also, nothing sucks more than someone controlling the field with my banana. Be careful though, Diddy can bait you into getting the banana so you can try grabbing the banana in the air and chunk it high in the sky, and focus on the match that way. That way it won't bother you for a few seconds. Thats what I do against wario's bike.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
bannana spam is too good lol, but it is really hard to kill DK if you cant spike him. And diddy dies real easy

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
I think you guys are forgetting that Diddy has two solid spikes against DK and bananas hurt your cargo game a bunch.

IDK

Smash Lord
well im not too happy to give away advice as i am a diddy myself and don't want people to figure out how to beat me and the rest of us... and i could have REALLY good advice but it wouldn't be too good to give out to non-diddy players... so i will tell you to play diddy for a little while. learn about him and how to play him and that will give you a bit of an advantage on what he may be about to do. but the main thing is you will no longer get ***** by his nannerz. you'll learn how to control them.

kkkoala

Smash Cadet
This is for the matchup of DK vs dk. For me this is one of hardest matchups. His bannanas always **** me wsince DK is so **** big. Also he's very quick and small, and i seem to wiff alot of attacks. Again, the bannanas are a huge issue. And his recovery is pretty hard to gimp with bair. Any help please?
listen to what other people say but 70% or more of beating a dittyK is using his bananers.

nothing pisses dittyKs off more than taking there bananers. seriously.

other than that... his upb is pretty easy to ledgehog, and if he aims it over the ledge and ur under 100%, thats practically an auto punish imo...

play defencive, also.

kkkoala

Smash Cadet
well im not too happy to give away advice as i am a diddy myself and don't want people to figure out how to beat me and the rest of us... and i could have REALLY good advice but it wouldn't be too good to give out to non-diddy players... so i will tell you to play diddy for a little while. learn about him and how to play him and that will give you a bit of an advantage on what he may be about to do. but the main thing is you will no longer get ***** by his nannerz. you'll learn how to control them.
u gave the secret away in the last sentance. and telling some1 to play the char there having trouble with is never advice. people generally ask for advice when theyve done so but cant figure it out.

AREL0E

Smash Apprentice
The way i fight Diddy is to always watch my spacing, pick up some of his bananas, basically play like a nub. I just take the hits i know i can survive and dodge the bigger ones. I always use my dsmash in almost any situations. Diddy is easy just learn spacing and watch the persons movements, and predict them.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
ok, theres two different styles of diddy, so i'll tell you what i know about both

banana camp - you're going to wanna pick the bananas up with running attacks, SHAD's, nairs, and bairs. your glide toss is insane and sets up for dsmash, so you can combo bananas into kill moves to get rid of diddy at 90 or so. bair is your friend, stay in the air, and don't be afraid to chase offstage, just don't be dumb about it

aggresive diddy - harder, but more fun of the two, you're going to have to really watch your spacing for this one, ftilt and fsmash work great if you're both on the ground, and a foxtrotted usmash can surprise him for an early kill, i don't know the specifics of aggresive diddy since theres like 3 total, so ill get back to you on it later

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Use the bananas against him so badly that he has to stop using them. Also, keep in mind that you don't have to work much to kill him. A 9-swing punch will kill Diddy very easily, dair will kill him around 30%, bair and back-throw will kill him around 110%.

Colbert

Smash Apprentice
To the people that say "just control his nanerz lole" are idiots and have never played a good Diddy Kong.

If you can control Diddy Kong's bananas, you simply are not playing someone of your skill level. Part of being good with Diddy Kong is about banana management, and Diddy's fast dash attack will always keep bananas on his side over your slow dash attack. I suggest learning how to glide toss and follow that up, as Diddy players rarely play against someone that knows their ATs.

Spacing is also important, but it will be hard to get away from Diddy's pressure game.

Mezna

Smash Cadet
I had trouble against diddies too, but since I used him a lot I got over it. That's not helping you, so like someone said earlier, throw 1- banana up in the air. I'm sure he'll still have another. Chances are you'll never have control over both bananas, unless you're good at catching items thrown at you. These are the best solutions I've found for showing your little monkey pal who is king.

Play defensively - "The best defense is a offense." Wiser words could not be said. Diddy is NOT a defensive character. he is offensive. You're both. Stay on your side of the field. Don't move. Lame as it sounds, if you just stand there, he has to come to you. That or he can try his gun, but even that can be rendered useless is you jump and airdoge to catch the peanuts. That gives you protectiles. If you must, however, approach slowly. Your sole goal in the game is not to go attack him, but simply punish all his movements, which leads me to...

Ftilt - ****. Outreachs all of Diddys attacks and cancels some. Diddy wants to dash? Backhand. Diddy wants to Facehug? Backhand. SH Fair? High Backhand. See what I'm saying? Just slowly walk towards him and whenever he starts getting close, Backhand. So he can spam bananas? His banana spam doesn't do as much as you Backhand spam, both % wise and mindgame wise. Nothing is more infuriating then getting hit by the same move you see coming everytime.

Dtilt - Similar to Ftilit, less range, less movement. This is for when you want to stay in your place. I often use it as a deterent for ground attacks. I don't use it often, but just show them that it's there and most likely they'll wanna jump and attack you which leads to...

Shield grab - The same technique used by players around the world. Hit them 2-3 times, then use whichever throw you prefer. I almost always use Dthrow, simply for the face-plant effect. It kinda feels like I'm giving them the message "Don't f***ing try that again." Especially when I do it multiple times. but that's just me.

Dsmash - They roll, you spam. they wiff, you spam. Smash smash smash!

Uair - A good kill move when they're in the air. People usually see uairs coming if you just jump up after them. Two ways I like to use it is sit there(yeah, I do that alot) and when they're getting pretty close I quickly jump and Uair. DK's Uair comes out pretty quick, so chances are they won't get hit. Kinda hard to tell you the distance, but it's between the normal distance for and upwards ground attack and the normal area people attack for Uairs(high in the air trying to kill). The other, somewhat more reliable way I found is when they are recovering. People often expect a spike from DK, so sometimes they'll try to jump OVER you when recovering. Guess where Uair hits.

Wafflekingz

Smash Cadet
The best way to beat diddy is to learn how to deal with bananas, that is the key. As long as you can't figure out how to deal with bananas you will not do too well. Ya and DK is one of the easier characters to use bananas against so if you have no clue on how to handle bananas you will have a harder time than most chars. Thats the best advice I can give, more important that what to do against him is just how to not be controlled.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
Is Banana Glide Toss to F-Smash a combo? I've tried it on several Diddy Kongs before, and it worked, but I don't know if its escapable or not.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
here are some vids against my friends diddy. I don't think the match up is that hard

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FU5uZDh9070
if anyone wants to tell me how I survived his f smash at 160 at the end of the stage....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WrVxNqmXy3U

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kliw6s3De2g
I **** in this game

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fX_mmxL_Ar8
- I get ***** in this game
That Diddy didn't know what he was doing

Anyways

If you want to beat a GOOD diddy that knows his match ups then DK isnt the character to use. I know you don't want to hear that, but once I play enough DKS then you will not have a chance against my diddy. Its like my diddy playing falcos and luigis. They are winnable, but not worth playing. I will pick metaknight. Learn another character.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
You Took My Avatar!!!!!

and besides he has only been playing for like 2 months so he isn't that good of a diddy

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
You Took My Avatar!!!!!

and besides he has only been playing for like 2 months so he isn't that good of a diddy
Mew is the best. What can I say =]

Anyways tell him to check out the Diddy boards a bit and when I can get videos up he can learn some things from them. Diddy is a beast :]

IDK

Smash Lord
To the people that say "just control his nanerz lole" are idiots and have never played a good Diddy Kong.

If you can control Diddy Kong's bananas, you simply are not playing someone of your skill level. Part of being good with Diddy Kong is about banana management, and Diddy's fast dash attack will always keep bananas on his side over your slow dash attack. I suggest learning how to glide toss and follow that up, as Diddy players rarely play against someone that knows their ATs.

uh... never played a good diddy kong? i've played n4n3rz dude. possibly the best diddy out there. and you just called him bad.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
You shouldn't ever be relying on DK's Dash attack to pick up Bananas. Use Z or aerials to grab them in the air and just pick them up offf the ground. Shielding a thrown banana then SHing out of shield with an aerial works well.

Also, if a banana is on the ground, Diddy will more than likely use DA to pick it up. DK can stand next to a banana without touching it and outrange Diddy, preventing him from picking it up. Ftilt, Dtilt, DownB, and punch all work fairly well to do this.

Once you can deal with bananas, DK outranges, and outpowers Diddy on just about every level.
Once you get a hold of a banana, glide toss is extremely useful if you can get the space. A forward glide toss into >B, Punch, Fsmash, or DownB is very useful. If you hit with the banana, all of those options are virtually guaranteed. If the banana is blocked, it puts tremendous shield pressure on Diddy. If he dodges or jumps, DownB/UpB works well for dodges and you can always Usmash/Utilt out of the glide to deal with jump.

Top Bottom