• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vote Arle Nadja for Smash!

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
Of course, given Shulk was localized beforehand, that might have helped a little. But, still, his demand was solely Japan at the very most. All fingers crossed that Arle does get a shot. And thank goodness that she is in such a high position! Really opens up the door for her.

And, alright then.
It's not like Arle is entirely japanese exclusive either. There was that GBA Puyo game Puyo Pop (or Minna de Puyo Puyo) that was still based on the pre-Sonic Team or "madou" era of Puyo, being the first actual Puyo game that got released over here. Puyo Puyo Fever as well, even though Amitie is the protagonist of that one. Considering how that one got released on basically every console at the time, I wouldn't underestimate how many people are actually aware of the series. Regardless of whether or not that's actually true, I suppose gauging interest in the series (or moreso gaining interest in having one of the characters appear in smash) outside of Japan is the primary issue...which Sega is doing nothing about.

I'm back. BTW, I forgot to mention, in the event that Arle makes it to Smash, I personally had some ideas in terms of music for a home stage. Basically, aside from Arle's theme, Amitie's theme, and Ringo's theme, these songs are ones I would hope for, but don't expect to see:
"Sonic - You Can Do Anything" - JP/PAL theme to Sonic CD (since this song was planned for Brawl, and was left out, Puyo Puyo might be another fit. Also, I just REALLY want to hear this song in a Smash game.:grin:

"Sonic Boom" - No:facepalm:, not the glitchiest Sonic game since Sonic '06:facepalm:, which currently has an admittedly decent tie-in animated series. I'm talking about the US theme to Sonic CD. Not going to lie, a little surprised this song didn't return to Smash 4 or at least the 3DS version.

The rest I don't think I can go into detail about at the moment, so I'll just say: The main themes (or at least one song) of the following SEGA games: Super Monkey Ball, Samba de Amigo, Shenmue, Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, Space Channel 5, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, Chu Chu Rocket!!, NiGHTS into Dreams, and Alex Kidd and/or Fantasy Zone. Maybe something from Virtua Fighter and/or Fighting Vipers, if they want to go that far.
As cool of an idea as that is, I think Puyo's got quite a bit of music to pull from where it wouldn't need that. I can imagine them throwing in some Sega medleys or something like they did for Pac-Man though.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It's not like Arle is entirely japanese exclusive either. There was that GBA Puyo game Puyo Pop (or Minna de Puyo Puyo) that was still based on the pre-Sonic Team or "madou" era of Puyo, being the first actual Puyo game that got released over here. Puyo Puyo Fever as well, even though Amitie is the protagonist of that one. Considering how that one got released on basically every console at the time, I wouldn't underestimate how many people are actually aware of the series. Regardless of whether or not that's actually true, I suppose gauging interest in the series (or moreso gaining interest in having one of the characters appear in smash) outside of Japan is the primary issue...which Sega is doing nothing about.

As cool of an idea as that is, I think Puyo's got quite a bit of music to pull from where it wouldn't need that. I can imagine them throwing in some Sega medleys or something like they did for Pac-Man though.
I am aware a few Puyo games made it to the West, but at that time, SEGA didn't even give Puyo Puyo the time of day in terms of advertising. Almost like they WANTED GBA and Fever to flop. If anything, lack of worldwide recogntion is Arle's BIGGEST issue. If not for that, she's got a pretty decent chance in my eyes. Honestly, as I've said before, the Puyo games have released so far on EVERY (literally, EVERY) Nintendo console to date, with the not-that-notable exception of the Virtual Boy. So it's no wonder Arle is a HUGE name in Japan in terms of gaming. Sometimes, I even think in Japan, Arle secretly serves as SEGA's mascot, if not Sonic.

That's actually what I meant in terms of music. Medleys for series like Alex Kidd, Fantasy Zone, Space Channel 5, Super Monkey Ball, Chu Chu Rocket!!, Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers, and Samba de Amigo, and a few of them use their main themes like Billy Hatcher, Shenmue, NiGHTS, and Crazy Taxi. Still, your ideas are interesting too. Sticker of Puyo, Final Puyo, and so on. Essentially, I picture that where Sonic the Hedgehog's music are ALL from his OWN games, Puyo Puyo in Smash, would have music from various SEGA series, including its own. An almost identical case to that of Pac-Man's music in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Notshane

Smash Ace
BTW, I forgot to mention, in the event that Arle makes it to Smash, I personally had some ideas in terms of music for a home stage. Basically, aside from Arle's theme, Amitie's theme, and Ringo's theme, these songs are ones I would hope for, but don't expect to see:
"Sonic - You Can Do Anything" - JP/PAL theme to Sonic CD (since this song was planned for Brawl, and was left out, Puyo Puyo might be another fit. Also, I just REALLY want to hear this song in a Smash game.:grin:

"Sonic Boom" - No:facepalm:, not the glitchiest Sonic game since Sonic '06:facepalm:, which currently has an admittedly decent tie-in animated series. I'm talking about the US theme to Sonic CD. Not going to lie, a little surprised this song didn't return to Smash 4 or at least the 3DS version.

The rest I don't think I can go into detail about at the moment, so I'll just say: The main themes (or at least one song) of the following SEGA games: Super Monkey Ball, Samba de Amigo, Shenmue, Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, Space Channel 5, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, Chu Chu Rocket!!, NiGHTS into Dreams, and Alex Kidd and/or Fantasy Zone. Maybe something from Virtua Fighter and/or Fighting Vipers, if they want to go that far.
Should she show up with a stage, I honestly think that the Puyo Puyo games had plenty of stage music to work with; as mentioned by Loïc earlier.

The first localization was actually done by Compile themselves. They localized it as "Puyo Pop" and it was released for the Neo Geo Pocket color; going off the base of "Puyo Puyo Tsu" though I do believe they could sadly not bring the Story Mode in all its glory over to that system with cut-scenes and all.

Strange to think that Puyo Pop Fever is actually the third game we got here, huh? One actually done by Compile, two done by SEGA. Well, if you count Mean Bean Machine, they have technically localized it "twice" when you think about it. So, both companies have truly only brought the game here two times, totaling four; and that was STILL not enough.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Should she show up with a stage, I honestly think that the Puyo Puyo games had plenty of stage music to work with; as mentioned by Loïc earlier.

The first localization was actually done by Compile themselves. They localized it as "Puyo Pop" and it was released for the Neo Geo Pocket color; going off the base of "Puyo Puyo Tsu" though I do believe they could sadly not bring the Story Mode in all its glory over to that system with cut-scenes and all.

Strange to think that Puyo Pop Fever is actually the third game we got here, huh? One actually done by Compile, two done by SEGA. Well, if you count Mean Bean Machine, they have technically localized it "twice" when you think about it. So, both companies have truly only brought the game here two times, totaling four; and that was STILL not enough.
Well, Kirby's Avalanche....

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
Huh, I had no idea. That's pretty interesting.

That's why I said first "actual" Puyo game to be released earlier, since both Avalanche and Mean Bean Machine are reskins. Mean Bean Machine was a bit more faithful though, keeping both Carbuncle (despite being renamed Has Bean or something along those lines) and the music. Speaking of which, on a bit of a personal note, MBM's remix/arrangement of Final of Puyo Puyo is probably my favorite version of that song. Good ol' genesis synth/electric guitars.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Speaking of which, on a bit of a personal note, MBM's remix/arrangement of Final of Puyo Puyo is probably my favorite version of that song. Good ol' genesis synth/electric guitars.
You mean Satan's theme from the early Puyo games? I like that version too since it makes the multiplayer mode a bit more intense when facing a tough opponent.

Notshane

Smash Ace
I meant translations done by the teams responsible for the game, but if we WANT to go there...well, not in the mood to go too far back so I will just leave it at that.

Huh, I had no idea. That's pretty interesting.
Ha, yeah. But, nobody had a Neo Geo Pocket Color so we pretty much did not get it XD

That's why I said first "actual" Puyo game to be released earlier, since both Avalanche and Mean Bean Machine are reskins. Mean Bean Machine was a bit more faithful though, keeping both Carbuncle (despite being renamed Has Bean or something along those lines) and the music. Speaking of which, on a bit of a personal note, MBM's remix/arrangement of Final of Puyo Puyo is probably my favorite version of that song. Good ol' genesis synth/electric guitars.
Yeah, that is why I like that localized re-skin the best. It also looks more detailed, though only cause Puyo Puyo was aiming for an anime-esque style so it had to look simple. But, MBM was going the video game sprite route where there is heavy detail on the characters which really brings out the Genesis' colors at its finest.

Speaking of Genesis, that version of Puyo Puyo is still my favorite due to the first rendition of the music sounding fantastic and the shadows that fade away each time you drop a Puyo. It is actually a really cool effect and it is the only version of the game to have it. But, you know, SEGA would NATURALLY make their version look superior to the rest.

Every other version simply modified the game in an awkward way or another. None of them did the character icon right, either, by just leaving in a plain black or other color instead of the stage background. And the SNES just moved it to look more unique, though it did have the highest quality sound chip to work with.

It really only shines in Puyo Puyo Tsu though, as they had some fantastic renditions there and added cut-scene themes in that sound just as catchy as the first one did and have the same feeling. The Saturn has my favorite How to Play theme, but the SNES is my overall favorite soundtrack of that theme for pretty much everything else. Wish it had a Virtual Console release.

Speaking of, this one is probably worthy enough to remix. At least, I liked its jingle out of the other ports of the game:

But, most of them were probably a bit better on the Saturn, too, when I think about it. Just this one from the SNES stood out more to me than it did on the Saturn. Given Tsu is the most popular of the games, since it even got an import release on Virtual Console, would make sense to use most of the music from that game for stage music.

I know Fever probably has a good selection from all its games, but none of them sound like they could be fighting music. But, the Compile games definitely have the best jingles to work with, well SEGA just mostly focused on the cutesy nature that none of it sounds worthy to be fighting music; with a few exceptions.

A good base to go off of would be the Saturn versions for the rest, such as:

And if the stage happens to drop Puyos on the players, they could do it like the "How to Play" scene from the Saturn where the background is explaining how to play well the Puyos are falling on the players. Could go well with this jingle:

Lastly, they could maybe just use the remix of Theme of Puyo Puyo that fifteenth anniversary made already if they are too lazy to do it themselves. I thought it sounded pretty good, but it also feels a bit too upbeat for the game at the same time:

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
Speaking of Genesis, that version of Puyo Puyo is still my favorite due to the first rendition of the music sounding fantastic and the shadows that fade away each time you drop a Puyo. It is actually a really cool effect and it is the only version of the game to have it. But, you know, SEGA would NATURALLY make their version look superior to the rest.

Every other version simply modified the game in an awkward way or another. None of them did the character icon right, either, by just leaving in a plain black or other color instead of the stage background. And the SNES just moved it to look more unique, though it did have the highest quality sound chip to work with.

It really only shines in Puyo Puyo Tsu though, as they had some fantastic renditions there and added cut-scene themes in that sound just as catchy as the first one did and have the same feeling. The Saturn has my favorite How to Play theme, but the SNES is my overall favorite soundtrack of that theme for pretty much everything else. Wish it had a Virtual Console release.

Speaking of, this one is probably worthy enough to remix. At least, I liked its jingle out of the other ports of the game:

But, most of them were probably a bit better on the Saturn, too, when I think about it. Just this one from the SNES stood out more to me than it did on the Saturn. Given Tsu is the most popular of the games, since it even got an import release on Virtual Console, would make sense to use most of the music from that game for stage music.

I know Fever probably has a good selection from all its games, but none of them sound like they could be fighting music. But, the Compile games definitely have the best jingles to work with, well SEGA just mostly focused on the cutesy nature that none of it sounds worthy to be fighting music; with a few exceptions.

A good base to go off of would be the Saturn versions for the rest, such as:

And if the stage happens to drop Puyos on the players, they could do it like the "How to Play" scene from the Saturn where the background is explaining how to play well the Puyos are falling on the players. Could go well with this jingle:

Lastly, they could maybe just use the remix of Theme of Puyo Puyo that fifteenth anniversary made already if they are too lazy to do it themselves. I thought it sounded pretty good, but it also feels a bit too upbeat for the game at the same time:
The music back in the original Puyo games were really great and memorable, huh. The Fever series and onwards has some really good tracks too. You mentioned how a majority of the music wasn't exactly suitable for fighting in those games, and I can agree with that for a lot of the default battle themes. But then there's stuff like this:

and

or

Granted those are all "boss" songs, but you get my point. I suppose it would depend on what era or game of Puyo Sakurai and his team would want to represent that would decide what songs and style they would be in. With that in mind, who do you think would be tasked with remixing whatever Puyo tracks would get in, or what particular composer would you want to remix which song(s)? I'd personally love for Jun Senoue or ACE+ to remix any song from the series, but if I had to pick one it'd be Area C/Witch's 20th Theme or Final of Puyo Puyo/Satan's theme.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
All those songs would make for a "Smashing" (:awesome:) selection of Puyo music! (I had to do it.) Also, the reason I mentioned other SEGA games is that, along with Puyo Puyo, these games have been somewhat forgotten, with Puyo Puyo possibly being the only other SEGA series to release new games on a consistent basis. So it would be like Puyo Puyo "leading a movement" to make itself and the other SEGA series I mentioned relevant again, by adding music from each series. As we know, Sakurai added Pac-Man with the additional purpose of representing Namco, past AND present. Who's to say that Arle couldn't do the same thing, referencing various SEGA series that were prominent in the 80's, 90's, and even 2000's, if they want to go THAT far. As we all know, SEGA's franchises are not referenced by Sonic in any way in Brawl and Smash 4. Arle could take that feature do something similar to what Pac-Man does. If she doesn't, I wouldn't be too broken up about it. It's just an idea.

Notshane

Smash Ace
The music back in the original Puyo games were really great and memorable, huh. The Fever series and onwards has some really good tracks too. You mentioned how a majority of the music wasn't exactly suitable for fighting in those games, and I can agree with that for a lot of the default battle themes. But then there's stuff like this:

and

or

Granted those are all "boss" songs, but you get my point. I suppose it would depend on what era or game of Puyo Sakurai and his team would want to represent that would decide what songs and style they would be in. With that in mind, who do you think would be tasked with remixing whatever Puyo tracks would get in, or what particular composer would you want to remix which song(s)? I'd personally love for Jun Senoue or ACE+ to remix any song from the series, but if I had to pick one it'd be Area C/Witch's 20th Theme or Final of Puyo Puyo/Satan's theme.
Oh, for sure they would go with classic Arle. It would make for a much easier conversion to 3D, since her post-Compile design is a bit awkward to convert, but can easily be used as a skin. They probably could throw in Fever music as well, but I can see them leaning towards the classic music since those tracks still did sound a bit upbeat. They could do heavy metal remixes and maybe dubstep for one of them if they really wanted them to work, but using the original versions would definitely not fly.

But, yeah, I can see them simply using classic Arle this time around since she has an appearance that is easier to convert to 3D and she appeared in way more games as a main character in both Puyo Puyo and Madou Monogatari; easily making for a solid character with awesome references to the past.

All those songs would make for a "Smashing" (:awesome:) selection of Puyo music! (I had to do it.) Also, the reason I mentioned other SEGA games is that, along with Puyo Puyo, these games have been somewhat forgotten, with Puyo Puyo possibly being the only other SEGA series to release new games on a consistent basis. So it would be like Puyo Puyo "leading a movement" to make itself and the other SEGA series I mentioned relevant again, by adding music from each series. As we know, Sakurai added Pac-Man with the additional purpose of representing Namco, past AND present. Who's to say that Arle couldn't do the same thing, referencing various SEGA series that were prominent in the 80's, 90's, and even 2000's, if they want to go THAT far. As we all know, SEGA's franchises are not referenced by Sonic in any way in Brawl and Smash 4. Arle could take that feature do something similar to what Pac-Man does. If she doesn't, I wouldn't be too broken up about it. It's just an idea.
Honestly, I will be VERY surprised if they actually use her classic appearance. I am assuming they would lean towards her Fever style since that is the current canon, but Nintendo did get a few Puyo Puyo games and have some history with them as well on all of their systems, so it would make sense that they put Arle in as her Fever self.

Honestly, even if she is an adult (Puyo Puyo~n), I would still be fine, but a little sad because I love her kid version a lot more and, again, the whole young characters thing: they need more of those. A pretty bad-ass final smash would be her becoming that adult version of herself and combining all of her spells into one blow.

Well she is combining them, she shouts all of her original combo phrases, as each spell goes into the orb she is creating. And it ends with her shouting the final phrase, "ばよえ~ん" ("Bayoeen") at her foe as she unleashes the Death Orb that flies to the opponent. But after it gets to them, it rises them up in the air, and then goes inside the foe. they flash a rainbow color as various hits are taken to them in the form of fire, ice and so on; dealing a deadly fifty percent and then they blow up from the stage, or rather "pop" from it, and meet their defeat. Afterwards, she flies back to the ground and turns back into a kid. That way, the adult version at least appears.

Or rather, instead of immediately becoming an adult, she first shouts all of the original phrases. And as all of the elements she summoned are floating up in the air in a circle, she becomes an adult. After that, she creates an orb in the middle of the spinning elements and they are all engulfed by the orb. She then proceeds to shout the final phrase and all of that other stuff I mentioned happens.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Dark Arle would be pretty interesting. I mean, we DO need eight costumes, so maybe we can throw in 20th Annviersary AND Tetris :b: to me, her first post-Fever design felt off in a lot of ways since it changed her eye color, among other colors. Then, her fifteenth anniversary design gave her classic look back. Lastly, twentieth anniversary just gave her costume the right kind of redesign that I felt it was more fitting than the other two.

I liked the longer hair myself, but I would much prefer the twentieth anniversary one if I had to pick myself. Just feels more like her. And, I think the longer hair represents that she is older than she was; being the first Puyo Puyo game to age her since Puyo Puyo~n. Which, being taken off official canon, basically reverted her back to her kid age so that she matched the other characters. But in Fever, you can honestly not tell at all :laugh:

Really?! The top four?! Given Shulk got in due to the demand there, and that Banjo & Kazooie is not really in Nintendo's hands anymore, Arle might very well have a chance. But, given nobody really gave the first official localization a positive enough reception to even have a permanent spot here in the west, I am not too faithful that she will make it in. But, they can CERTAINLY not say it is because she would have awkward gameplay. Because that is not true!

They can trace her back to the pre-Fever games, back to the pre-Puyo Puyo games, even! Madou Monogatari was still made after Puyo Puyo and even had a release on the Saturn that was considered one of the best RPG games on there. I should know, I own it and have played it! Though it was not cheap, let me tell you. The games certainly had enough story to continue them beyond the first three and it lasted a good decade and would have lasted further until Compile went bankrupt.

Honestly, I think Sakurai should just pull the trigger. That bullet is guaranteed to hit the bulls-eye because everyone loves innovative entries in the Smash series and Puyo Puyo fans outside Japan would obviously hop on the Arle train right away! I imagine the ones that became fans after Fever probably played past entries too and, for sure, found their way to Madou Monogatari. So, pretty much every fan of the series, alongside Smash players, would not dislike her appearance at all.

And, if that slim chance happens, I hope she has had more voice acting classes to sound less creepy :urg:
You know, I just did some counting, and apparently, it seems that all of the costumes you suggested, and the two I suggested, all add up to 7 alts.!

So I figured, how about Arle have her 8th and final alt. be a reference to Carbuncle,

(If they go with Arle's classic appearance, then make her clothes a soild yellow, and her adorable boots and skirt red.)

(If they go with Arle's "Yon" armor, make the armor completely gold, with some ruby in the lining and her hairband and the skirt for both outfits could be red.)

Or the alt. could be a mix of Amitie and Ringo's outfits from 20th Anniversary and Puyo Tetris respectively.

(Classic Arle, make the t-shirt gray, referencing Ringo's school clothes from Puyo Tetris, and the tank top she wears above could be pink, referencing Amitie's primary colors in 20th Anniversary, and make the skirt red, referencing Ringo's skirt.)

(If they go with Arle's "Yon" armor, make the armor gray-scale, (Ringo) and the skirt pink, (Amitie) the hairband pink (Amitie) and the lining blue to reference Arle herself.) What do you think?

Notshane

Smash Ace
You know, I just did some counting, and apparently, it seems that all of the costumes you suggested, and the two I suggested, all add up to 7 alts.!

So I figured, how about Arle have her 8th and final alt. be a reference to Carbuncle,

(If they go with Arle's classic appearance, then make her clothes a soild yellow, and her adorable boots and skirt red.)

(If they go with Arle's "Yon" armor, make the armor completely gold, with some ruby in the lining and her hairband and the skirt for both outfits could be red.)

Or the alt. could be a mix of Amitie and Ringo's outfits from 20th Anniversary and Puyo Tetris respectively.

(Classic Arle, make the t-shirt gray, referencing Ringo's school clothes from Puyo Tetris, and the tank top she wears above could be pink, referencing Amitie's primary colors in 20th Anniversary, and make the skirt red, referencing Ringo's skirt.)

(If they go with Arle's "Yon" armor, make the armor gray-scale, (Ringo) and the skirt pink, (Amitie) the hairband pink (Amitie) and the lining blue to reference Arle herself.) What do you think?
Or they could go nuts and have a literal 3D version of her Fever self as the final alt to spice things up. Would look hilarious XD

But, I am torn between the first and third choices. They both sound really good.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Or they could go nuts and have a literal 3D version of her Fever self as the final alt to spice things up. Would look hilarious XD

But, I am torn between the first and third choices. They both sound really good.
Wait, when you say first and third choices, you mean as in my ideas for a gold/ruby Carbuncle-themed suit and the Amitie/Ringo-themed suits, right?

Notshane

Smash Ace
1# (If they go with Arle's classic appearance, then make her clothes a soild yellow, and her adorable boots and skirt red.)

3# (Classic Arle, make the t-shirt gray, referencing Ringo's school clothes from Puyo Tetris, and the tank top she wears above could be pink, referencing Amitie's primary colors in 20th Anniversary, and make the skirt red, referencing Ringo's skirt.)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Either way, we should be lucky to get Arle so let us not overdo it by asking for a stage, too XD not like everyone on the roster has their own......wait a minute...
Actually, EVERY fighter in the game has a home stage. BTW, Wuhu Island, Miiverse, and Find Mii, technically belong to the Miis, who are playable in Smash 4, and Wrecking Crew IS technically a Mario property at its core. If anything, Pilot Wings is the only universe with established characters in its series to not have any playable characters in Smash so far. NO, I am NOT counting the Miis as Pilot Wings characters. They practically have their own series at this point. Currently, I'm taking it into my own hands to change this situation. I own the Pilot Wings for Smash thread, and I could use some help spreading around the propaganda, if you don't mind. Here's the link: http://smashboards.com/threads/nint...-vote-for-a-pilot-in-the-smash-ballot.339922/

Notshane

Smash Ace
Actually, EVERY fighter in the game has a home stage. BTW, Wuhu Island, Miiverse, and Find Mii, technically belong to the Miis, who are playable in Smash 4, and Wrecking Crew IS technically a Mario property at its core. If anything, Pilot Wings is the only universe with established characters in its series to not have any playable characters in Smash so far. NO, I am NOT counting the Miis as Pilot Wings characters. They practically have their own series at this point. Currently, I'm taking it into my own hands to change this situation. I own the Pilot Wings for Smash thread, and I could use some help spreading around the propaganda, if you don't mind. Here's the link: http://smashboards.com/threads/nint...-vote-for-a-pilot-in-the-smash-ballot.339922/
I was wondering who that guy was in your avatar. I saw the airplane, but did not assume it was Pilotwings.

I am pretty passionate about helping others and especially when it is for something I like as well, but I do not know much to say about those guys, really :p unless you have some stuff I can run off of. Like, how they would fight, what they would bring to the universe, etc. Otherwise, I will not be of much assistance as I never played Pilotwings before.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I was wondering who that guy was in your avatar. I saw the airplane, but did not assume it was Pilotwings.

I am pretty passionate about helping others and especially when it is for something I like as well, but I do not know much to say about those guys, really :p unless you have some stuff I can run off of. Like, how they would fight, what they would bring to the universe, etc. Otherwise, I will not be of much assistance as I never played Pilotwings before.
Check out page 6 of that thread.....:smirk: Also, the character in my avatar is Lark, the (unofficial) main protagonist of the second Pilot Wings game, Pilot Wings 64 for the Nintendo...64. It's a pretty fun game. One of Nintendo's most innovative and challenging gems. Again, if you could help me spread the Pilot Wings propaganda I've had help making, it would be appreciated! BTW, I don't know if you've ever noticed my signature at the bottom of my posts. If you did, you probably never pais much mind to it. If you did (or didn't) THIS is what it was:

Last edited:

Notshane

Smash Ace
Check out page 6 of that thread.....:smirk: Also, the character in my avatar is Lark, the (unofficial) main protagonist of the second Pilot Wings game, Pilot Wings 64 for the Nintendo...64. It's a pretty fun game. One of Nintendo's most innovative and challenging gems. Again, if you could help me spread the Pilot Wings propaganda I've had help making, it would be appreciated! BTW, I don't know if you've ever noticed my signature at the bottom of my posts. If you did, you probably never pais much mind to it. If you did (or didn't) THIS is what it was:
Hmm, I see. Alright, next time I bring up votes on YouTube, I will be sure to bring up this dude as well! Oh yeah, have you heard of "Smashified" yet? It is this guy that is making characters based on the art style of Sm4sh. We have to get Arle up there!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hmm, I see. Alright, next time I bring up votes on YouTube, I will be sure to bring up this dude as well! Oh yeah, have you heard of "Smashified" yet? It is this guy that is making characters based on the art style of Sm4sh. We have to get Arle up there!
Really? Oh, thank you! BTW, did you see the moveset I made for Lark, by any chance? Also, came across this: http://luigi58546.deviantart.com/art/Super-Smash-Bros-The-Winner-Is-ARLE-NADJA-495543353

Also, I've definitely heard of Smashified! Only issue, we might not be seeing Arle any time soon, because the Smashified team said they want to work on ACTUAL Nintendo characters for a while. Arle isn't out of the possibility, just that she's going to have to wait quite a while.:ohwell:

Last edited:

Notshane

Smash Ace
Really? Oh, thank you! BTW, did you see the moveset I made for Lark, by any chance? Also, came across this: http://luigi58546.deviantart.com/art/Super-Smash-Bros-The-Winner-Is-ARLE-NADJA-495543353

Also, I've definitely heard of Smashified! Only issue, we might not be seeing Arle any time soon, because the Smashified team said they want to work on ACTUAL Nintendo characters for a while. Arle isn't out of the possibility, just that she's going to have to wait quite a while.:ohwell:
Yeah, no problem! And, no I did not! Will have to check it out later.

I came across that several times well I was looking for possible alts for her, myself. It looked funny, but I did not know it had an associating moveset to go with it. That is pretty interesting!

Really? That sucks. But, given how much work he has put into it so far, I can wait. I know Arle will look awesome. I hope he goes for the kid version, but I have a hunch he might either do Puyo Puyo Fever or Puyo Puyo~n since those were pretty popular entries. But, I imagine he has just as many requests for classic Arle as well.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yeah, no problem! And, no I did not! Will have to check it out later.

I came across that several times well I was looking for possible alts for her, myself. It looked funny, but I did not know it had an associating moveset to go with it. That is pretty interesting!

Really? That sucks. But, given how much work he has put into it so far, I can wait. I know Arle will look awesome. I hope he goes for the kid version, but I have a hunch he might either do Puyo Puyo Fever or Puyo Puyo~n since those were pretty popular entries. But, I imagine he has just as many requests for classic Arle as well.
Oh, wow! People actually request Arle to him? That's pretty cool! Also, for Pilot Wings, go to the OP of the thread when you get a chance and open up the 3 spoiler boxes. They contain the moveset.

Notshane

Smash Ace
Oh, wow! People actually request Arle to him? That's pretty cool! Also, for Pilot Wings, go to the OP of the thread when you get a chance and open up the 3 spoiler boxes. They contain the moveset.
I imagine! Not on a significant scale, but I believe there are a handful of Arle fans that want him to do her! Drawing, that is :laugh: ah, a nod at today's society for making me have to explain that phrase.

OP of the thread? Ha, I am not familiar with what "OP" means.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I imagine! Not on a significant scale, but I believe there are a handful of Arle fans that want him to do her! Drawing, that is :laugh: ah, a nod at today's society for making me have to explain that phrase.

OP of the thread? Ha, I am not familiar with what "OP" means.
First, and foremost, HA! classic Schezo reference!:awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome:

Also, "OP" means the very first post on the first page of a thread. Or do want me to post the moveset here? Well actually, I'll have to do it tomorrow. I'm really tired and I have to go somewhere tomorrow. I'll explain the rest later, okay?

Notshane

Smash Ace
First off, Yes. Yes, I did.:smirk:

Also, I forgot to tell you, Lark (from Pilot Wings 64) and Arle (the only 3rd party I voted for) are the ONLY characters I've voted for on the official Smash Ballot.
Hmm, I see. I have voted for Gray Fox, Goemon, Daisy and, now knowing she has a following, Arle. I would vote for more, but I only aim for those that I know would have a shot at all; as to avoid wasting time.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hmm, I see. I have voted for Gray Fox, Goemon, Daisy and, now knowing she has a following, Arle. I would vote for more, but I only aim for those that I know would have a shot at all; as to avoid wasting time.
Well, that's a good idea. At least, I'd rather not vote for characters who ended up as Assist Trophies for example. Saves me the trouble. I'm not 100% sure if Arle has a HUGE following that isn't in Japan, but I can say the following is there, for sure. Matter of fact, I was bored and I felt like checking some Puyo stuff. I type in Arle's full name and supposedly the #1 searched thing about her at the moment is "Arle Nadja Smash Bros." or Arle Nadja Super Smash Bros." I know it's not a HUGE deal, but I thought it was an interesting tidbit nonetheless. Also, I've been wondering, what do you guys think Arle's reveal trailer would be like?

EDIT: Here's the Lark (Pilot Wings 64) moveset I said I'll post over here for you to see:

Playstyle and Moveset:

Ground Speed - 5/10: Lark has decent speed on the ground.
Air Speed - 9/10: I'm intending for Lark to have an AMAZING air game, if not the best air game in the Smash series as a whole to reference his being a pilot (or pilot-in-training?) and all.
Size 5(?)-6(?)/10: I've envisioned him to be, say, :4littlemac:'s height? Maybe a bit taller.
Weight 4/10: Lark is a light-ish character that can be launched fairly easily. Not to Glass Cannon proportions obviously, but still somewhat light due to his size and all. Again, the slight lightness referencing his whole pilot persona. Overall, about as light as :4luigi:.
Fall Speed 4/10: Again, referencing his whole pilot persona from the Pilot Wings games, Lark falls at an unusually slow rate.
Jump Height 10/10: Lark's jump height is definitely above average. Because he can fly with the help of his Birdman suit! (For 3 jumps.)
Traction 3/10: Lark has somewhat decent traction, but he does slide just a tad bit when turning.

Lark's playstyle and moveset involves him using various pilot gear to fight as well as utilizng his Birdman suit from Pilot Wings 64, resulting in him using some moves similar to Falco, but different in function. I wanted to make Lark somewhat average on the ground, decent speed, power, and endurance. But in the air, that's where Lark would TRULY shine. Speedy, Durable, and his air game overall would equip him with some of the most deadly combos.

Normal Attacks:
Jab Combo: Lark begins with one large poke from the right wing of his Birdman suit. A swipe from the left wing, and a forced slam from both wings, Very similar to :4palutena:'s side smash. Only difference is that the wind box is not as large, and the knockback is nowhere near as great. This move can be infinitely held, with Lark rapidly "poking" his opponents with the tip of the wings, ending the wing slam.
Side Tilt: A VERY large swipe with the left wing of his Birdman suit. Similar to :4zelda:'s side tilt, but a windbox is produced, destroying weak projectiles, and not as much knockback.
Up Tilt: Performs an upwards triple kick with the Jumble Hopper spring shoes in the style of :4pit: and :4sonic:'s UTilts. The final kick does a lot more knockback, but just enough so that Lark can follow up with a multitude of aerial attacks
Down Tilt: Lark sweeps the floor with the right wing. No knockback or wind box, but can be used rapidly and repeatedly to trip opponents
Dash Attack: Lark rushes in with a big headbutt to his opponents, courtesy of his helmet. Does amazing knockback, and can KO at very high percentages.

Smash Attacks:
Side: Lark performs a grounded dive, sliding into any opponents in his path. Similar to his dash attack, but doesn't travel as far, and does more knockback. Can KO earlier than his dash attack as well.
Up: With the help of his Jumble Hopper spring boots, Lark hops upwards with SO much force, that his helmet sends opponents flying straight upwards, allowing him to follow up with many aerial attacks. KO at...I don't know. 100%? 110%? 120%?
Down: Lark rapidly spins along the ground, similar to :4peach:, but attacking with his right foot and left wing. Does a lot of damage, but the knockback will leave a bit to be desired. The most damaging of all his Smash Attacks, but has the least knockback.

Grabs:
Lark will grab with one hand.
Pummel: Lark head-bangs the opponent with his helmet.
Forward: Lark performs a Judo Throw, sending opponents flying headfirst. Has a VERY small windbox for nearby opponents.
Backward: Lark tosses the opponent over his head and behind him, backhand-punching the opponent away.
Up: Lark tosses the opponent upwards, using his helmet to send them further upward.
Down: Lark tosses his opponent downwards, jumping high into the air, and then landing, performing a big body slam onto them. Supposed to reference the Skydiving mini game from Pilot Wings 64.

Aerials:
This is where I thought Lark would TRULY shine in terms of attacks and combos BTW, with the exception of his DAir, all of his aerial attacks are multi-hitting.

NAir: Lark performs a seriously rapid spin in the air, similar to :4falco:, but more damaging, and the knockback is almost non-existent, meaning he could folow up with some more aerials
FAir: Lark spreads the wings of his Birdman suit extending them forward, rapidly jabbing at his opponents.
BAir: Basically performs a "winged" version of Fox's FAir, but instead the wings are directly behind him, rather than directing them diagonally like Fox's feet when he performs his FAir.
UAir: Lark rapidly flaps the wings of his Birdman suit above him, doing multiple hits. Has a windbox that goes a distance. Think of :4gaw:'s UAir in Smash 4, but the windbox isn't as strong (Don't know if :4gaw:'s UAir in Brawl had the same effect.)
DAir: Lark sends himself downwards, head-first. Can meteor smash at any frame, but only if the opponent is hit by his "actual" head. The opponent will NOT be meteor smashed if they are hit by the side of Lark's head or any other part of his body. (Think of the :4miibrawl:'s Headache Maker DSpecial.)

Specials:

B: Boost Ring - Although not necessarily used in this manner in the games, this move utilizes the floating rings/orbs that are a staple of the Pilot Wings games. When used, Lark places a floating ring in front of him which can be passed to give him an instant momentum boost to dash into opponents, sending them flying from the collision. However, opponents can also go through this ring as well, which can be used to their advantage as well, rushing into other opponents (including Lark!), and doing damage to them as well. As a matter of fact, if the opponent uses the ring to crash into Lark, he actually takes more knockback, similar to if :4duckhunt:'s Trick Shot is sent flying back at them. BTW, depending on the character's weight, the move could cause less knockback or more. For example: if :4kirby: goes through a ring, his knockback is very small, so you don't need to worry about lightweights. If :4mario: or any middleweights walk through, the knockback is...decent, to say the least. But, if any heavyweights, such as :4bowser: were to go through, watch out! Get out of the way as soon as possible or you'll be sent flying into next week! Don't worry though, because if you happen to place the ring just right, it could be used as a trap to rush an opponent offstage, sending them so far away, so fast, it won't be too likely that they'll be able to make it back to the stage.

Side+B: Penguin Dive - Lark tosses a Penguin in the direction he is facing which opponents can send sliding back at him, if he's not careful. When sliding into opponents, the Penguin will do decent knockback and damage if it hits. If the Penguin does NOT hit, opponents may trip over the VERY small trail of ice it leaves behind. The Penguin can be struck away like the Waddle Dees. Upon landing on the ground, the penguins will just waddle around and do nothing, before disappearing. Sometimes they might steal an item and bring it back to Lark.

Up+B: Rocket Belt - This move works as a recovery (similar to :4rob:'s U-Special), but the thrusters burn opponents behind or below you. Unlike the item, this Rocket Belt cannot be used "infinitely" like the item, and instead bursts upwards with blazing speed and does great knockback at the start of takeoff. Similar to :4palutena:'s Rocket Jump, but travels MUCH higher vertically. Sadly, this move has little to no horizontal recovery.

Down+B: Parachute - This move would work like :gawmelee:'s N-Air in Melee, and would also grant you super slow falling speed like :4peach:'s U-Special. However, the move itself does NOT give Lark extra altitude, but it is great for covering long horizontal distances while falling. (Only damages the second it opens. Afterwards, if you're not careful, Lark can be gimped from recovering if the opponent were to hit him. If they end up hitting the parachute, the opponent takes damage)

Final Smash:
Cannon: The cannon from PW 64 is used by Lark in a manner almost identical to that of the Dragoon item in Brawl and Smash 4. A colossal cannon comes out of nowhere, dropping from the sky. Excitedly, Lark hops inside preparing to fire himself at his opponents from the foreground. Be very careful though, as Lark has quite a small window of time to fire himself at his opponents. He has a span of 15 seconds. If he does not fire himself in that window of time, the FS will abruptly cancel itself, and Lark will return to the stage as if nothing had just happened. If he does fire himself however, Lark will deal MASSIVE damage and knockback to whoever he manages to hit, to the point where it is almost always going to be a OHKO. BTW, it should be noted that the FS one-use only, so Lark must time the attack right, and position himself carefully.

Taunts:

Side: Lark makes a funny face in whatever direction he's facing.
Up: Lark takes off his helmet, blows on it, uses his elbow to wipe it clean, and straps it back on his head. BTW, during the time Lark's helmet is taken off, his messy, unkempt, semi-spiky hair can be seen. Obviously, this will be the only giveaway that Lark and Nester, the mascot of Nintendo Power, ARE in fact, the exact same person.
Down: Lark attempts to rapidly flap the wings of his Birdman suit, actually lifting himself off of the ground for about 3-5 seconds, he then gets tired and falls back down onto the ground, landing on his butt. All with a cheerful little smile.

Entrance:
Lark flies in via his Gyrocopter, and uses a parachute to float safely down to the ground.
Victory Poses:
1. Lark jumps up high into the air happily shouting "Yahoo!!!" Kiwi will yell "I won!"
2. The little penguin from Lark's side special attempts to waddle over to Lark, but instead Lark walks over to it, picks it up and gives it a big hug over their victory.
3. Lark basically performs his entrance animation from the start of a match, but this time, the parachute covers his whole body, and he can't get out from under it..

I would REALLY appreciate it if someone could help me with palette swaps. I'm planning on having it that Kiwi (also from Pilot Wings 64) would be an alt. skin of Lark. I envision the costumes to be like this:

Lark:
Normal outfit (Red, white, yellow, orange) (Blue jeans) (Red sneakers) (Red and white helmet)
Goose (A character also from Pilot Wings 64) (United States-themed (Red, white, and blue) version of Lark's pilot outfit) (Red jeans) (Blue sneakers) (United States-themed helmet)
Hawk (Pilot Wings 64 character) (Red, Navy blue, and black version of Lark's pilot outfit) (Black jeans) (Black sneakers) (Yellow and green helmet)
Civilian outfit (Red baseball cap turned backwards, Black t-shirt with the #28 written on it) (Blue jeans) (Red sneakers)

Kiwi:
Normal outfit (Pink, cyan, purple, and orange pilot suit) (Pink shorts) (Orange shoes) (Pink helmet)
Ibis (PW 64 character) (Green, orange, and black version of Kiwi's pilot outfit) (Green shorts) (Yellow shoes) (Black helmet)
Hooter (PW 64 character) (Blue, white, and yellow version of Kiwi's pilot outfit) (Blue shorts) (Black shoes) (Blue and cyan helmet)
Civilian outfit (Yellow dress) (Cute little brown dress shoes)

Last edited:

Notshane

Smash Ace
Well, that's a good idea. At least, I'd rather not vote for characters who ended up as Assist Trophies for example. Saves me the trouble. I'm not 100% sure if Arle has a HUGE following that isn't in Japan, but I can say the following is there, for sure. Matter of fact, I was bored and I felt like checking some Puyo stuff. I type in Arle's full name and supposedly the #1 searched thing about her at the moment is "Arle Nadja Smash Bros." or Arle Nadja Super Smash Bros." I know it's not a HUGE deal, but I thought it was an interesting tidbit nonetheless. Also, I've been wondering, what do you guys think Arle's reveal trailer would be like?
I imagine DLC characters don't have significant ones. Roy just had a quote, Lucas had an "appeared out of nowhere" thing, but Ryu definitely had something going for him that was the perfect reference to his game.

It is really tough to say. They would have to do a CGI one, though this is only if classic Arle is used. Otherwise, Fever would have to do some sort of crossover in the graphics.

It starts off by showing the land of Puyo Puyo and its inhabitants.

Here, we see Draco, whom is talking to Schezo; asking about her appearance. They all speak in Japanese and there are subtitles below:

"Be honest, does this make my tail look large?"

Schezo awkwardly stands and sweats and then out comes Robin and Ness having a dual of magic as they knock Draco into the stratosphere. Schezo tries to fight, and then comes an onward Arcthunder. Schezo freaks out and as it is about to hit him, Ness absorbs it with his force field.

"Thank you, brave boy! You saved my-"

As Ness flings his yo-yo towards Robin, it flings back and hits Schezo out of the way.

As the duel continues, the camera zooms out and we see Arle's legs walking on the path to the tournament tower.

Then it zooms back on Ness and Robin.

And then it zooms in on Arle's body this time, only up to her neck this time.

And then Ness charges up his PK Flash, well Robin is getting Thoron ready.

Arle then shouts "すみません!" ("Excuse me!") as Ness and Robin both turn at her.

"Arle Nadja Pops in!"

(honestly kinda hard to think up an entry phrase for her)

"Yes," says Arle, "do you guys know which way the tournament tower-"

Ness and Robin then continue fighting, much to the dismay of Arle. Then she casts an incantation and summons two Puyos to fall from the sky and fall on them.

"Alright, now that that nonsense is dealt with, can one of you show me where the tournament tower is?"

Robin and Ness both look at each other as Ness uses PK Thunder and blasts off his Puyo, well Robin activates the electricity in his Levin Sword and takes care of his.

"So, I have to get past you guys to get to the tower, huh? Fine by me."

And resume gameplay scenes of comedic comments from Arle going on about the various fighters in the tune of Theme of Puyo Puyo.

Here's the Lark (Pilot Wings 64) moveset I said I'll post over here for you to see:
Playstyle and Moveset:
Ground Speed - 5/10: Lark has decent speed on the ground.
Air Speed - 9/10: I'm intending for Lark to have an AMAZING air game, if not the best air game in the Smash series as a whole to reference his being a pilot (or pilot-in-training?) and all.
Size 5(?)-6(?)/10: I've envisioned him to be, say, :4littlemac:'s height? Maybe a bit taller.
Weight 4/10: Lark is a light-ish character that can be launched fairly easily. Not to Glass Cannon proportions obviously, but still somewhat light due to his size and all. Again, the slight lightness referencing his whole pilot persona. Overall, about as light as :4luigi:.
Fall Speed 4/10: Again, referencing his whole pilot persona from the Pilot Wings games, Lark falls at an unusually slow rate.
Jump Height 10/10: Lark's jump height is definitely above average. Because he can fly with the help of his Birdman suit! (For 3 jumps.)
Traction 3/10: Lark has somewhat decent traction, but he does slide just a tad bit when turning.

Lark's playstyle and moveset involves him using various pilot gear to fight as well as utilizng his Birdman suit from Pilot Wings 64, resulting in him using some moves similar to Falco, but different in function. I wanted to make Lark somewhat average on the ground, decent speed, power, and endurance. But in the air, that's where Lark would TRULY shine. Speedy, Durable, and his air game overall would equip him with some of the most deadly combos.

Normal Attacks:
Jab Combo: Lark begins with one large poke from the right wing of his Birdman suit. A swipe from the left wing, and a forced slam from both wings, Very similar to :4palutena:'s side smash. Only difference is that the wind box is not as large, and the knockback is nowhere near as great. This move can be infinitely held, with Lark rapidly "poking" his opponents with the tip of the wings, ending the wing slam.
Side Tilt: A VERY large swipe with the left wing of his Birdman suit. Similar to :4zelda:'s side tilt, but a windbox is produced, destroying weak projectiles, and not as much knockback.
Up Tilt: Performs an upwards triple kick with the Jumble Hopper spring shoes in the style of :4pit: and :4sonic:'s UTilts. The final kick does a lot more knockback, but just enough so that Lark can follow up with a multitude of aerial attacks
Down Tilt: Lark sweeps the floor with the right wing. No knockback or wind box, but can be used rapidly and repeatedly to trip opponents
Dash Attack: Lark rushes in with a big headbutt to his opponents, courtesy of his helmet. Does amazing knockback, and can KO at very high percentages.

Smash Attacks:
Side: Lark performs a grounded dive, sliding into any opponents in his path. Similar to his dash attack, but doesn't travel as far, and does more knockback. Can KO earlier than his dash attack as well.
Up: With the help of his Jumble Hopper spring boots, Lark hops upwards with SO much force, that his helmet sends opponents flying straight upwards, allowing him to follow up with many aerial attacks. KO at...I don't know. 100%? 110%? 120%?
Down: Lark rapidly spins along the ground, similar to :4peach:, but attacking with his right foot and left wing. Does a lot of damage, but the knockback will leave a bit to be desired. The most damaging of all his Smash Attacks, but has the least knockback.

Grabs:
Lark will grab with one hand.
Pummel: Lark head-bangs the opponent with his helmet.
Forward: Lark performs a Judo Throw, sending opponents flying headfirst. Has a VERY small windbox for nearby opponents.
Backward: Lark tosses the opponent over his head and behind him, backhand-punching the opponent away.
Up: Lark tosses the opponent upwards, using his helmet to send them further upward.
Down: Lark tosses his opponent downwards, jumping high into the air, and then landing, performing a big body slam onto them. Supposed to reference the Skydiving mini game from Pilot Wings 64.
Aerials:
This is where I thought Lark would TRULY shine in terms of attacks and combos BTW, with the exception of his DAir, all of his aerial attacks are multi-hitting.

NAir: Lark performs a seriously rapid spin in the air, similar to :4falco:, but more damaging, and the knockback is almost non-existent, meaning he could folow up with some more aerials
FAir: Lark spreads the wings of his Birdman suit extending them forward, rapidly jabbing at his opponents.
BAir: Basically performs a "winged" version of Fox's FAir, but instead the wings are directly behind him, rather than directing them diagonally like Fox's feet when he performs his FAir.
UAir: Lark rapidly flaps the wings of his Birdman suit above him, doing multiple hits. Has a windbox that goes a distance. Think of :4gaw:'s UAir in Smash 4, but the windbox isn't as strong (Don't know if :4gaw:'s UAir in Brawl had the same effect.)
DAir: Lark sends himself downwards, head-first. Can meteor smash at any frame, but only if the opponent is hit by his "actual" head. The opponent will NOT be meteor smashed if they are hit by the side of Lark's head or any other part of his body. (Think of the :4miibrawl:'s Headache Maker DSpecial.)

Specials:

B: Boost Ring - Although not necessarily used in this manner in the games, this move utilizes the floating rings/orbs that are a staple of the Pilot Wings games. When used, Lark places a floating ring in front of him which can be passed to give him an instant momentum boost to dash into opponents, sending them flying from the collision. However, opponents can also go through this ring as well, which can be used to their advantage as well, rushing into other opponents (including Lark!), and doing damage to them as well. As a matter of fact, if the opponent uses the ring to crash into Lark, he actually takes more knockback, similar to if :4duckhunt:'s Trick Shot is sent flying back at them. BTW, depending on the character's weight, the move could cause less knockback or more. For example: if :4kirby: goes through a ring, his knockback is very small, so you don't need to worry about lightweights. If :4mario: or any middleweights walk through, the knockback is...decent, to say the least. But, if any heavyweights, such as :4bowser: were to go through, watch out! Get out of the way as soon as possible or you'll be sent flying into next week! Don't worry though, because if you happen to place the ring just right, it could be used as a trap to rush an opponent offstage, sending them so far away, so fast, it won't be too likely that they'll be able to make it back to the stage.

Side+B: Penguin Dive - Lark tosses a Penguin in the direction he is facing which opponents can send sliding back at him, if he's not careful. When sliding into opponents, the Penguin will do decent knockback and damage if it hits. If the Penguin does NOT hit, opponents may trip over the VERY small trail of ice it leaves behind. The Penguin can be struck away like the Waddle Dees. Upon landing on the ground, the penguins will just waddle around and do nothing, before disappearing. Sometimes they might steal an item and bring it back to Lark.

Up+B: Rocket Belt - This move works as a recovery (similar to :4rob:'s U-Special), but the thrusters burn opponents behind or below you. Unlike the item, this Rocket Belt cannot be used "infinitely" like the item, and instead bursts upwards with blazing speed and does great knockback at the start of takeoff. Similar to :4palutena:'s Rocket Jump, but travels MUCH higher vertically. Sadly, this move has little to no horizontal recovery.

Down+B: Parachute - This move would work like :gawmelee:'s N-Air in Melee, and would also grant you super slow falling speed like :4peach:'s U-Special. However, the move itself does NOT give Lark extra altitude, but it is great for covering long horizontal distances while falling. (Only damages the second it opens. Afterwards, if you're not careful, Lark can be gimped from recovering if the opponent were to hit him. If they end up hitting the parachute, the opponent takes damage)

Final Smash:
Cannon: The cannon from PW 64 is used by Lark in a manner almost identical to that of the Dragoon item in Brawl and Smash 4. A colossal cannon comes out of nowhere, dropping from the sky. Excitedly, Lark hops inside preparing to fire himself at his opponents from the foreground. Be very careful though, as Lark has quite a small window of time to fire himself at his opponents. He has a span of 15 seconds. If he does not fire himself in that window of time, the FS will abruptly cancel itself, and Lark will return to the stage as if nothing had just happened. If he does fire himself however, Lark will deal MASSIVE damage and knockback to whoever he manages to hit, to the point where it is almost always going to be a OHKO. BTW, it should be noted that the FS one-use only, so Lark must time the attack right, and position himself carefully.
Taunts:
Side: Lark makes a funny face in whatever direction he's facing.
Up: Lark takes off his helmet, blows on it, uses his elbow to wipe it clean, and straps it back on his head. BTW, during the time Lark's helmet is taken off, his messy, unkempt, semi-spiky hair can be seen. Obviously, this will be the only giveaway that Lark and Nester, the mascot of Nintendo Power, ARE in fact, the exact same person.
Down: Lark attempts to rapidly flap the wings of his Birdman suit, actually lifting himself off of the ground for about 3-5 seconds, he then gets tired and falls back down onto the ground, landing on his butt. All with a cheerful little smile.

Entrance:
Lark flies in via his Gyrocopter, and uses a parachute to float safely down to the ground.
Victory Poses:
1. Lark jumps up high into the air happily shouting "Yahoo!!!" Kiwi will yell "I won!"
2. The little penguin from Lark's side special attempts to waddle over to Lark, but instead Lark walks over to it, picks it up and gives it a big hug over their victory.
3. Lark basically performs his entrance animation from the start of a match, but this time, the parachute covers his whole body, and he can't get out from under it..

I would REALLY appreciate it if someone could help me with palette swaps. I'm planning on having it that Kiwi (also from Pilot Wings 64) would be an alt. skin of Lark. I envision the costumes to be like this:

Lark:
Normal outfit (Red, white, yellow, orange) (Blue jeans) (Red sneakers) (Red and white helmet)
Goose (A character also from Pilot Wings 64) (United States-themed (Red, white, and blue) version of Lark's pilot outfit) (Red jeans) (Blue sneakers) (United States-themed helmet)
Hawk (Pilot Wings 64 character) (Red, Navy blue, and black version of Lark's pilot outfit) (Black jeans) (Black sneakers) (Yellow and green helmet)
Civilian outfit (Red baseball cap turned backwards, Black t-shirt with the #28 written on it) (Blue jeans) (Red sneakers)

Kiwi:
Normal outfit (Pink, cyan, purple, and orange pilot suit) (Pink shorts) (Orange shoes) (Pink helmet)
Ibis (PW 64 character) (Green, orange, and black version of Kiwi's pilot outfit) (Green shorts) (Yellow shoes) (Black helmet)
Hooter (PW 64 character) (Blue, white, and yellow version of Kiwi's pilot outfit) (Blue shorts) (Black shoes) (Blue and cyan helmet)
Civilian outfit (Yellow dress) (Cute little brown dress shoes)
Wow, that is one long moveset.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I imagine DLC characters don't have significant ones. Roy just had a quote, Lucas had an "appeared out of nowhere" thing, but Ryu definitely had something going for him that was the perfect reference to his game.

It is really tough to say. They would have to do a CGI one, though this is only if classic Arle is used. Otherwise, Fever would have to do some sort of crossover in the graphics.

It starts off by showing the land of Puyo Puyo and its inhabitants.

Here, we see Draco, whom is talking to Schezo; asking about her appearance. They all speak in Japanese and there are subtitles below:

"Be honest, does this make my tail look large?"

Schezo awkwardly stands and sweats and then out comes Robin and Ness having a dual of magic as they knock Draco into the stratosphere. Schezo tries to fight, and then comes an onward Arcthunder. Schezo freaks out and as it is about to hit him, Ness absorbs it with his force field.

"Thank you, brave boy! You saved my-"

As Ness flings his yo-yo towards Robin, it flings back and hits Schezo out of the way.

As the duel continues, the camera zooms out and we see Arle's legs walking on the path to the tournament tower.

Then it zooms back on Ness and Robin.

And then it zooms in on Arle's body this time, only up to her neck this time.

And then Ness charges up his PK Flash, well Robin is getting Thoron ready.

Arle then shouts "すみません!" ("Excuse me!") as Ness and Robin both turn at her.

"Arle Nadja Pops in!"

(honestly kinda hard to think up an entry phrase for her)

"Yes," says Arle, "do you guys know which way the tournament tower-"

Ness and Robin then continue fighting, much to the dismay of Arle. Then she casts an incantation and summons two Puyos to fall from the sky and fall on them.

"Alright, now that that nonsense is dealt with, can one of you show me where the tournament tower is?"

Robin and Ness both look at each other as Ness uses PK Thunder and blasts off his Puyo, well Robin activates the electricity in his Levin Sword and takes care of his.

"So, I have to get past you guys to get to the tower, huh? Fine by me."

And resume gameplay scenes of comedic comments from Arle going on about the various fighters in the tune of Theme of Puyo Puyo.

Wow, that is one long moveset.
Wow! That's hilarious! You know, for some reason, I feel that Satan and Rulue just HAVE to be included in this reveal somehow. (and maybe Mino, Suketadoara, Witch, a few other Puyo cast members) BTW, what kind of quotes do think Arle might bring up about the other fighters? TBH, I personally feel that Arle might even be VERY stunned at the nature of Super Smash Bros. itself, and bring up some big rant about how crazy it is. Also, I don't know how, but somehow Sonic just HAS to be included somehow.

Also, what did you think about the moveset I made?

Notshane

Smash Ace
Wow! That's hilarious! You know, for some reason, I feel that Satan and Rulue just HAVE to be included in this reveal somehow. (and maybe Mino, Suketadoara, Witch, a few other Puyo cast members) BTW, what kind of quotes do think Arle might bring up about the other fighters? TBH, I personally feel that Arle might even be VERY stunned at the nature of Super Smash Bros. itself, and bring up some big rant about how crazy it is. Also, I don't know how, but somehow Sonic just HAS to be included somehow.
Ha, let's not get ahead of ourselves. The trailer should just make a light reference to the cast and not go nuts, otherwise we would hear rants like "HOW COME SHULK DID NOT FIGHT A GIANT MONSTER BEFORE" and so on. If we even get what I said, that would be surprising.

Like I said, I would actually have to look at all of them XD she has too many good ones. But, for sure, she would have to make up new ones. I don't think she would be too shocked at fighting, though, if they use her classic version.

Puyo Puyo~n, I believe, incorporated fighting elements in the cut-scenes; provided they even had those, my memory on that game is hazy. So, Arle being freaked out about the fighting would not make sense. But, her reactions to gods fighting humans and a plumber fighting a beast would make her look petrified XD but, she should not be talking throughout the ENTIRE gameplay preview. She should just have one liners for each character she finds weird; that would be the best.

Also, what did you think about the moveset I made?
It is pretty good, actually! I like that he is focused on the air, being a pilot obviously would give him experience there :p I think he could beat Falco's air game too and it would be pretty fitting to have someone of that nature be in the game; one that is actually really good in the air.

They could also maybe do a unique fighting trait for him where he can actually charge his air attacks, but his ground attacks are not chargeable to compensate. Or, at least, you can not charge the ground smashes at all, but are still able to perform a regular one. It would make for one unique fighter and I would actually main him.

As for the rest of him, it was too much to review. I am impressed at the ideas, but my creative thought process went nuts over some of the suggestions I thought of so I might actually have to talk about it in a separate chat thing later. Seems like it would turn into an entirely different conversation and stray away from what we are talking about here. But, I actually like this character a lot, but I am also bummed because, well that game IS a stage in Sm4sh, it would be pretty hard to get him in the game. I do not think Pilotwings is the most heavily anticipated series to get a character from, so the votes are pretty low as well.

But, you definitely have a good thing going here and I think he would be someone that everyone comes to love; like Duck Hunt. Though I still hate Duck Hunt myself ever since I found out he replaced Takamaru, the ONE guy in the retro area I wanted to replace Ice Climbers. He looked so unique with his samurai sword, ninja tools AND magic in both general spells and being able to give his sword different elements. One, I believe, could summon FLAME COLUMNS; like, several fireballs in a line similar to a flame column. It was awesome.

Speaking of DLC, I am just too excited for this month. I know whomever they do choose will be awesome, unless it is another round of veterans. Not that I hate them, but I want something NEW, you know? It was strange that the other pack was literally filled with veterans......and then Ryu :laugh:

But, Nintendo can make ANYONE a solid fighter...well, except Olimar. I can never get used to him and did not even play him until nine months after I bought the game; not even kidding. No offense to Olimar fans, but I do not see it at all. He is definitely just a fan character to me, as his moves felt a bit on the disabled side as, whenever my opponent figures out I have no Pikmin on my side, they have an INSTANT kill if they are skilled enough to keep me from the ground. Bugs the crap out of me.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Ha, let's not get ahead of ourselves. The trailer should just make a light reference to the cast and not go nuts, otherwise we would hear rants like "HOW COME SHULK DID NOT FIGHT A GIANT MONSTER BEFORE" and so on. If we even get what I said, that would be surprising.

Like I said, I would actually have to look at all of them XD she has too many good ones. But, for sure, she would have to make up new ones. I don't think she would be too shocked at fighting, though, if they use her classic version.

Puyo Puyo~n, I believe, incorporated fighting elements in the cut-scenes; provided they even had those, my memory on that game is hazy. So, Arle being freaked out about the fighting would not make sense. But, her reactions to gods fighting humans and a plumber fighting a beast would make her look petrified XD but, she should not be talking throughout the ENTIRE gameplay preview. She should just have one liners for each character she finds weird; that would be the best.

It is pretty good, actually! I like that he is focused on the air, being a pilot obviously would give him experience there :p I think he could beat Falco's air game too and it would be pretty fitting to have someone of that nature be in the game; one that is actually really good in the air.

They could also maybe do a unique fighting trait for him where he can actually charge his air attacks, but his ground attacks are not chargeable to compensate. Or, at least, you can not charge the ground smashes at all, but are still able to perform a regular one. It would make for one unique fighter and I would actually main him.

As for the rest of him, it was too much to review. I am impressed at the ideas, but my creative thought process went nuts over some of the suggestions I thought of so I might actually have to talk about it in a separate chat thing later. Seems like it would turn into an entirely different conversation and stray away from what we are talking about here. But, I actually like this character a lot, but I am also bummed because, well that game IS a stage in Sm4sh, it would be pretty hard to get him in the game. I do not think Pilotwings is the most heavily anticipated series to get a character from, so the votes are pretty low as well.

But, you definitely have a good thing going here and I think he would be someone that everyone comes to love; like Duck Hunt. Though I still hate Duck Hunt myself ever since I found out he replaced Takamaru, the ONE guy in the retro area I wanted to replace Ice Climbers. He looked so unique with his samurai sword, ninja tools AND magic in both general spells and being able to give his sword different elements. One, I believe, could summon FLAME COLUMNS; like, several fireballs in a line similar to a flame column. It was awesome.

Speaking of DLC, I am just too excited for this month. I know whomever they do choose will be awesome, unless it is another round of veterans. Not that I hate them, but I want something NEW, you know? It was strange that the other pack was literally filled with veterans......and then Ryu :laugh:

But, Nintendo can make ANYONE a solid fighter...well, except Olimar. I can never get used to him and did not even play him until nine months after I bought the game; not even kidding. No offense to Olimar fans, but I do not see it at all. He is definitely just a fan character to me, as his moves felt a bit on the disabled side as, whenever my opponent figures out I have no Pikmin on my side, they have an INSTANT kill if they are skilled enough to keep me from the ground. Bugs the crap out of me.
Yeah, I guess you're right about Arle and all. I mean, knowing her, she's fought before, so this shouldn't a big problem for her. Still, I sort of wish Satan, Rulue, and Sonic was included in this.:ohwell:

Also, thanks for the compliments! I was trying to truly capture Lark's gimmick of being a pilot and considering a LOT of pilot's gear and gadgets are used in Pilot Wings 64, I tried to get that feeling in as well.. So it looks like I'd did a pretty good job, if what you said is true!:) Also, that's why I was asking you to help me spread this around. Then again, I believe EVERY character will have a fanbase when they're playable in Smash. Yes, even Pichu! According to Sakurai, he was even attempting to bring back EVERY character cut between Melee and Brawl and possibly the cast cut between Brawl and Smash 4. BTW, I was hype no matter what for Duck Hunt. What can I say? I REALLY love retros. I felt that PW 64 deserved SOME recognition, considering that it's the one PW game not represented in Smash 4.

Notshane

Smash Ace
Yeah, I guess you're right about Arle and all. I mean, knowing her, she's fought before, so this shouldn't a big problem for her. Still, I sort of wish Satan, Rulue, and Sonic was included in this.:ohwell:
I think Sonic is a bit overkill. He is already in the game, so there is no reason for him to show up in another trailer JUST because it has SEGA characters in it. I mean, I could just write out the Draco and Schezo bit for the other two, but the thing is that both Rulue and Satan are a little more significant so them being knocked off would be an insult; though at the same time, I can not say that with a straight face :b: which is why I chose those other two as they were always bullied in the games anyway XD

Also, thanks for the compliments! I was trying to truly capture Lark's gimmick of being a pilot and considering a LOT of pilot's gear and gadgets are used in Pilot Wings 64, I tried to get that feeling in as well.. So it looks like I'd did a pretty good job, if what you said is true!:) Also, that's why I was asking you to help me spread this around.
Yeah, I imagine it is rough spreading around a guy from a launch title that is not significantly well known. Nobody would think to make him playable, but the idea is possible!

Then again, I believe EVERY character will have a fanbase when they're playable in Smash. Yes, even Pichu! According to Sakurai, he was even attempting to bring back EVERY character cut between Melee and Brawl and possibly the cast cut between Brawl and Smash 4.
Really. If that is the case, then Young Link might for sure be in since he has had all those remakes with him lately, though I am REALLY crossing my fingers and hoping they use his Ocarina of Time look like Melee did and not his stupid remodeled one. I never enjoyed the way they animated him, as it all looked very weird.

But, knowing 3DS limitations, they will not achieve that goal; unless Nintendo makes an apology notice that Ice Climbers will be Wii U only and mentions that the 3DS can have a little extra in return (Smash Run is their extra to me, as Smash Tour is complete bass) for not having the duo. They are not cross-play anyway, so why would that be bad? I just do not get it.

BTW, I was hype no matter what for Duck Hunt. What can I say? I REALLY love retros. I felt that PW 64 deserved SOME recognition, considering that it's the one PW game not represented in Smash 4.
I liked Duck Hunt until I found out who he replaced. It was just so upsetting because I wanted that guy in for so long ever since I found out about him.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I think Sonic is a bit overkill. He is already in the game, so there is no reason for him to show up in another trailer JUST because it has SEGA characters in it. I mean, I could just write out the Draco and Schezo bit for the other two, but the thing is that both Rulue and Satan are a little more significant so them being knocked off would be an insult; though at the same time, I can not say that with a straight face :b: which is why I chose those other two as they were always bullied in the games anyway XD

Yeah, I imagine it is rough spreading around a guy from a launch title that is not significantly well known. Nobody would think to make him playable, but the idea is possible!

Really. If that is the case, then Young Link might for sure be in since he has had all those remakes with him lately, though I am REALLY crossing my fingers and hoping they use his Ocarina of Time look like Melee did and not his stupid remodeled one. I never enjoyed the way they animated him, as it all looked very weird.

But, knowing 3DS limitations, they will not achieve that goal; unless Nintendo makes an apology notice that Ice Climbers will be Wii U only and mentions that the 3DS can have a little extra in return (Smash Run is their extra to me, as Smash Tour is complete bass) for not having the duo. They are not cross-play anyway, so why would that be bad? I just do not get it.

I liked Duck Hunt until I found out who he replaced. It was just so upsetting because I wanted that guy in for so long ever since I found out about him.
I guess you could say that I don't dislike your idea, but let me say, I would personally replace Draco with Rulue, since Rulue has made a bit more of an impact in the Puyo series than Draco has. Don't get me wrong though, I'm VERY much aware of Draco's recent string of..."unfortunate situations" since around 20th Anniversary.:laugh: But, Rulue would be (at least to Japan) more "notable"(?) (I guess I could use that term?) in terms of Puyo "star power", if that makes any sense. If anything, if it was Rulue being sent flying off into the distance by Robin and Ness' battle, it would a really HILARIOUS "tongue-in-cheek" joke to Rulue's constant claims of being the "Royal Queen of Fighting" (which I'll even admit, it is definitely a claim she HAS been able to back up time an time again.:p) and yet, she would still get defeated by a 13 year-old psychic and a sword-wielding magician in one shot. OK, so maybe that is quite a bit to fight alone. Again, I would still be okay with Draco, I'm only personally considering Rulue.

Also, yes, it is pretty hard to spread some ideas around of a character who from a launch-title game that isn't all that remembered anymore. But still, I can at least try, right? Also, I just think it;s a bit unfair that PW 64, the interquel game in the series, gets literally NO representation at all in Smash 4. Makes you wonder if Nintendo even owns the rights to the characters anymore.

Yeah, I'd give anything to have Young Link and Pichu return. I don't care what anyone says, I love these guys in Melee. Still, I also miss the ICs. Heck, I feel that if they were added to the game, the whole game would truly be completed.

BTW, I should mention that Sakurai never really made an outright confirmation that Duck Hunt outright replaced Takamaru OR the Ice Climbers, so...

Last edited:

Notshane

Smash Ace
I guess you could say that I don't dislike your idea, but let me say, I would personally replace Draco with Rulue, since Rulue has made a bit more of an impact in the Puyo series than Draco has. Don't get me wrong though, I'm VERY much aware of Draco's recent string of..."unfortunate situations" since around 20th Anniversary.:laugh: But, Rulue would be (at least to Japan) more "notable"(?) (I guess I could use that term?) in terms of Puyo "star power", if that makes any sense. If anything, if it was Rulue being sent flying off into the distance by Robin and Ness' battle, it would a really HILARIOUS "tongue-in-cheek" joke to Rulue's constant claims of being the "Royal Queen of Fighting" (which I'll even admit, it is definitely a claim she HAS been able to back up time an time again.:p) and yet, she would still get defeated by a 13 year-old psychic and a sword-wielding magician in one shot. OK, so maybe that is quite a bit to fight alone. Again, I would still be okay with Draco, I'm only personally considering Rulue.
As good of an idea as it sounds, I do not even think most of the trailers had really deep references as we have stated before. Most of them usually limit it so that you are not trying to focus on all of the sight gags and homages. Like, Ryu had a short one, Duck Hunt had a short one; they were all notable, but there was only a single thing notable about them that made them so awesome. They did not go over the top with any of them, really. Well, maybe Bowser Jr. I always thought his was a bit weird since he had alts with actual announcer calls and voices.

It is a bit hard to explain, but basically they should limit Arle's trailer to just a single major reference; as to avoid standing out too much from other trailers. Well Arle would be a significant addition to the roster, I do not think they throw in references that only a hardcore Puyo Puyo fan, such as ourselves :b: would understand. They should aim for something that those that know of Mean Bean Machine would get, as they would recognize the Puyos better that way.

An actual reference that fans and newbies would get is if the trailer ended with it zooming in on Tournament Tower and we see a silhouette of Satan (they would probably refer to him as Dark Prince again if they mention him) looking down on the fight between Arle, Ness and Robin. Then, out comes Dr. Robotnik with some English dialogue:

"I know how you feel. That darn hedgehog took my beans away, too."

As to which, Satan confusingly replies:

"...豆?" ("...Beans?")

Also, yes, it is pretty hard to spread some ideas around of a character from a launch-title game that isn't all that remembered anymore. But still, I can at least try, right? Also, I just think it's a bit unfair that PW 64, the interquel game in the series, gets literally NO representation at all in Smash 4. Makes you wonder if Nintendo even owns the rights to the characters anymore.
My theory is that Nintendo does not think they would be significant. Also, this time around, I bet they are solely choosing the most popular vote to get on the fans' good sides. Which, if they respect their home country a lot, Arle might very well show up; given two of the candidates are highly unlikely and one of them is not even a Nintendo property anymore.

Yeah, I'd give anything to have Young Link and Pichu return. I don't care what anyone says, I love these guys in Melee. Still, I also miss the ICs. Heck, I feel that if they were added to the game, the whole game would truly be completed.
Okay, say that, hypothetically, Nintendo only had one spot left. By this point, we have had lots of unique new characters (sure hope Arle is one of them) and the last spot is them deciding between one more or to just have all of the Links.

Let's say that the word actually got out and they considered Lark.

But, now, Nintendo believes that Young Link would have the more popular reception.

In this scenario, you can imagine what the popular vote will do with these two characters. Even though he finally heard of Lark and the campaign, he was still skeptical since it was only just recently popular, well Young Link has been filling up with votes since, say by this point, every veteran but him has returned. Though if this were the case, then the New 3DS would be the main way to play Sm4sh as that would be the ONLY way to have the Ice Climbers on both.

Not trying to say they should completely zone out veterans, but we have had three return and, as much as I want this game to feel like the most complete by returning everyone, I know that if the Ice Climbers are gone, that will not be everyone. If those two come back, I would be entirely open to the idea. Otherwise, it would feel sad because there is just one missing from the roster; and one that everyone loved, too.

BTW, I should mention that Sakurai never really made an outright confirmation that Duck Hunt outright replaced Takamaru OR the Ice Climbers, so...
I know for sure that Duck Hunt was meant to be the new 8-bit representative and that he replaced Takamaru. He was chosen as Sakurai believed that people recognized those two more than they would an elemental, ninja-esque samurai swordsmen. But, no matter what, I am going to point at Marth and Roy when that redundant reason pops up. They chose them at random and they did well, so Takamaru easily could have been similar. He also had lots of attention recently; having a major role in a launch title for the Wii U and appearing in a few spin-off titles.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
As good of an idea as it sounds, I do not even think most of the trailers had really deep references as we have stated before. Most of them usually limit it so that you are not trying to focus on all of the sight gags and homages. Like, Ryu had a short one, Duck Hunt had a short one; they were all notable, but there was only a single thing notable about them that made them so awesome. They did not go over the top with any of them, really. Well, maybe Bowser Jr. I always thought his was a bit weird since he had alts with actual announcer calls and voices.

It is a bit hard to explain, but basically they should limit Arle's trailer to just a single major reference; as to avoid standing out too much from other trailers. Well Arle would be a significant addition to the roster, I do not think they throw in references that only a hardcore Puyo Puyo fan, such as ourselves :b: would understand. They should aim for something that those that know of Mean Bean Machine would get, as they would recognize the Puyos better that way.

An actual reference that fans and newbies would get is if the trailer ended with it zooming in on Tournament Tower and we see a silhouette of Satan (they would probably refer to him as Dark Prince again if they mention him) looking down on the fight between Arle, Ness and Robin. Then, out comes Dr. Robotnik with some English dialogue:

"I know how you feel. That darn hedgehog took my beans away, too."

As to which, Satan confusingly replies:

"...豆?" ("...Beans?")

My theory is that Nintendo does not think they would be significant. Also, this time around, I bet they are solely choosing the most popular vote to get on the fans' good sides. Which, if they respect their home country a lot, Arle might very well show up; given two of the candidates are highly unlikely and one of them is not even a Nintendo property anymore.

Okay, say that, hypothetically, Nintendo only had one spot left. By this point, we have had lots of unique new characters (sure hope Arle is one of them) and the last spot is them deciding between one more or to just have all of the Links.

Let's say that the word actually got out and they considered Lark.

But, now, Nintendo believes that Young Link would have the more popular reception.

In this scenario, you can imagine what the popular vote will do with these two characters. Even though he finally heard of Lark and the campaign, he was still skeptical since it was only just recently popular, well Young Link has been filling up with votes since, say by this point, every veteran but him has returned. Though if this were the case, then the New 3DS would be the main way to play Sm4sh as that would be the ONLY way to have the Ice Climbers on both.

Not trying to say they should completely zone out veterans, but we have had three return and, as much as I want this game to feel like the most complete by returning everyone, I know that if the Ice Climbers are gone, that will not be everyone. If those two come back, I would be entirely open to the idea. Otherwise, it would feel sad because there is just one missing from the roster; and one that everyone loved, too.

I know for sure that Duck Hunt was meant to be the new 8-bit representative and that he replaced Takamaru. He was chosen as Sakurai believed that people recognized those two more than they would an elemental, ninja-esque samurai swordsmen. But, no matter what, I am going to point at Marth and Roy when that redundant reason pops up. They chose them at random and they did well, so Takamaru easily could have been similar. He also had lots of attention recently; having a major role in a launch title for the Wii U and appearing in a few spin-off titles.
Actually, that's seems like a better idea. Not too "over-the-top", like my idea.:lol: Still tohugh, nich way to include Satan and Dr. Eggman/Robotnik like that. It'd be really hilarious to see Dr. Eggman speaking English, and Satan speaking Japanese, since he's never had an English VA to begin with. BTW, in the case of Bowser Jr., don't forget the Koopalings are all completely different characters from Bowser Jr. in a logical sense. I can only imagine the wrath people would make Sakurai experience for not treating them as their own characters to SOME extent, and to an extent, I could say the same for Captain Olimar and Alph, too. Heck, I'D be one of those people. At least the Villagers, the WFTs, and both genders of Robin are essentially the EXACT same person, but the only thing that changes is literally appearance and gender. Alph and the Koopalings (Larry, Morton Jr., Wendy, Iggy, Roy, Lemmy, and Ludwig) are established in Smash 4, AND their source games to be completely separate characters, despite their status as alt. skins

Also, I understand what you're saying, but as you also said, Pilot Wings isn't a series people are clamoring for, so I figured the satge in Smash 4 would be a combination of all 3 games in the series so far. The fact that is virtually NO representation of the second game seems a bit.....odd. Honestly, not even a TROPHY of any character from PW 64. It just seems so unusual. I mean do you really hear anyone say anything about Pilot Wings for the SNES, anymore? MAYBE Pilot Wings Resort, but still.

BTW, I honestly think Arle has a good chance of showing up for Smash, the issue that bugs me is that her support IS larger than it's ever been...in Japan. As we know, a certain samurai also ended up being cut from Smash 4. (Well, as a playable character, at least.) I mean, Sakurai DID say fanservice will be taking over for the selection of DLC characters from here on out, so that's what I feel would be Arle's saving grace, at most. Somehow, I've had this WILD, kooky idea, that Sakurai will look at each CONTINENT and choose who would be highly requested from that area. Or at the least, simply select characters requested highly in Japan. (Which would possibly REALLY help Arle, if you want my personal opinion.)

Don't get me wrong, I do feel that Lark would most than likely be a character saved for, say, Smash 5. Maaaaybe Smash 6. I'm just taking a chance here, you know. Of course, Young Link would be the popular choice, so they'd go with him, and I'm totally okay with that. Hey, as I've said before, I'll even take Pichu back as well, I'm even hoping he's at least considered too.

Well, I guess you have a point there. I mean, I'm sorry, but I LOVE Duck Hunt in Smash 4. They're so cute, and their attacks, if you play them right, can keep your opponents at bay for a while. Still, I also love Takamaru and his game. It looked so unique, you know? Also, don't get me wrong, I'm VERY much aware of Taka's recent cameos in just about EVERYTHING these days. The fact that he wasn't playable in Smash 4, and I woke the next day to see him as an AT......Well, PLEASE forgive me for sounding like this, OMG, I was like, "*****? He's an AT? Why?" Of course, Sakurai surprisingly DID end up revealing the reason as to why he wasn't playable in the end: Lack of knowledge about him in the West caused his removal. (Which, BTW, is what worries me most about Arle, at the moment.) Still, maybe Taka will get lucky next Smash hopefully.

Notshane

Smash Ace
Actually, that's seems like a better idea. Not too "over-the-top", like my idea.:lol: Still tohugh, nich way to include Satan and Dr. Eggman/Robotnik like that. It'd be really hilarious to see Dr. Eggman speaking English, and Satan speaking Japanese, since he's never had an English VA to begin with.
Yeah, that would honestly complete the trailer for me. ESPECIALLY if Dr. Robotnik had his voice from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. If he did, I could honestly not thank Nintendo enough for such a deed. That would be TRUE fan service if I ever saw it.

BTW, in the case of Bowser Jr., don't forget the Koopalings are all completely different characters from Bowser Jr. in a logical sense. I can only imagine the wrath people would make Sakurai experience for not treating them as their own characters to SOME extent, and to an extent, I could say the same for Captain Olimar and Alph, too. Heck, I'D be one of those people. At least the Villagers, the WFTs, and both genders of Robin are essentially the EXACT same person, but the only thing that changes is literally appearance and gender. Alph and the Koopalings (Larry, Morton Jr., Wendy, Iggy, Roy, Lemmy, and Ludwig) are established in Smash 4, AND their source games to be completely separate characters, despite their status as alt. skins
Yeah, I suppose. Personally, I wish Olimar stayed in Brawl, but what can ya do? Anything to get all the veterans in, I guess.

Also, I understand what you're saying, but as you also said, Pilot Wings isn't a series people are clamoring for, so I figured the *stage in Smash 4 would be a combination of all 3 games in the series so far. The fact that is virtually NO representation of the second game seems a bit.....odd. Honestly, not even a TROPHY of any character from PW 64. It just seems so unusual. I mean do you really hear anyone say anything about Pilot Wings for the SNES, anymore? MAYBE Pilot Wings Resort, but still.
Yeah, it is a bit strange that there is a stage for them, and even a Virtual Console title to play, but nothing else. In fact, I think the Virtual Console title's character is literally just an airplane and not even Lark himself XD

BTW, I honestly think Arle has a good chance of showing up for Smash, the issue that bugs me is that her support IS larger than it's ever been...in Japan. As we know, a certain samurai also ended up being cut from Smash 4. (Well, as a playable character, at least.) I mean, Sakurai DID say fanservice will be taking over for the selection of DLC characters from here on out, so that's what I feel would be Arle's saving grace, at most. Somehow, I've had this WILD, kooky idea, that Sakurai will look at each CONTINENT and choose who would be highly requested from that area. Or at the least, simply select characters requested highly in Japan. (Which would possibly REALLY help Arle, if you want my personal opinion.)
I was just thinking that. But, knowing Japan, I bet they would probably throw in Arle; especially if this might be the last entry, combined with the extreme amount of requests she has had.

I know Japan has been eager to localize Puyo Puyo again for a while and this might be the franchise's saving grace to finally begin localizing every entry after Puyo Pop Fever to have a release here.

They could start with Virtual Console and release "Puyo Pop 15th Anniversary" for Wii, "Puyo Pop 20th Anniversary" and so on. I guarantee you that Puyo Puyo would be a hit here if they tried one more time, as it has finally established a proper fan base over the past decade. Most people even imported their 3DS JUST to play the Puyo Puyo games. And recent Wii U owners did the same as well, as I hear Puyo Puyo IS on the Japanese Virtual Console AND the Wii U has Puyo Puyo Tetris as well; the definitive version of that entry.

Of course, this dream will only come if Arle makes it into the Smash. All fingers crossed!

And, I say might with the gameplay changes, because if Sakurai leaves, every other sequel won't feel the same. We are talking Melee gameplay, characters probably ONLY from fighting games and so on. It will be truly depressing. I have a feeling they will choose the path that fans want the most, instead of going with their own ideas.

Though again, this is only if Sakurai decides not to return. I assume that is the path they will choose to take.

Don't get me wrong, I do feel that Lark would most than likely be a character saved for, say, Smash 5. Maaaaybe Smash 6. I'm just taking a chance here, you know. Of course, Young Link would be the popular choice, so they'd go with him, and I'm totally okay with that. Hey, as I've said before, I'll even take Pichu back as well, I'm even hoping he's at least considered too.
I love Pichu, as Pikachu was one of my favorite characters to play when I was younger. But, I want Pichu to at least have SOME different moves. Just being a complete clone would be depressing to me. Like, for example, his side special move.

I honestly do enjoy Pichu having the rest of Pikachu's special moves, but I would not mind if he had a new side special move; similar to how Luigi has one that is different from Mario. I do not know what it would be, but I would just not want it to be a clone of Pikachu's as it would at least give Pichu a semi-clone status and guarantee him a spot.

Well, I guess you have a point there. I mean, I'm sorry, but I LOVE Duck Hunt in Smash 4. They're so cute, and their attacks, if you play them right, can keep your opponents at bay for a while.
I like Duck Hunt, too! I just hate who he replaced, and dislike him a lot for that, but I do not hate him. And his spike that is the most EASILY linkable one out of all the rest. It is hilarious because, as soon as you are even close to your opponent, the duck pins them below the dog for a spike attack; like, EVERY time and it is freaking hilarious XD

Still, I also love Takamaru and his game. It looked so unique, you know? Also, don't get me wrong, I'm VERY much aware of Taka's recent cameos in just about EVERYTHING these days. The fact that he wasn't playable in Smash 4, and I woke the next day to see him as an AT......Well, PLEASE forgive me for sounding like this, OMG, I was like, "*****? He's an AT? Why?" Of course, Sakurai surprisingly DID end up revealing the reason as to why he wasn't playable in the end: Lack of knowledge about him in the West caused his removal. (Which, BTW, is what worries me most about Arle, at the moment.) Still, maybe Taka will get lucky next Smash hopefully.
(cough) Fire Emblem (cough)

I know that his personality has since changed and whatever, but I will ALWAYS hold that over Sakurai ever since he actually decided against Takamaru for that ONE reason. NOBODY knew about Fire Emblem, but they put them in anyway. So, why not give Takamaru a go? He was already appearing in titles outside of Japan anyway, so why not?! I just do not get it.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yeah, that would honestly complete the trailer for me. ESPECIALLY if Dr. Robotnik had his voice from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. If he did, I could honestly not thank Nintendo enough for such a deed. That would be TRUE fan service if I ever saw it.

Yeah, I suppose. Personally, I wish Olimar stayed in Brawl, but what can ya do? Anything to get all the veterans in, I guess.

Yeah, it is a bit strange that there is a stage for them, and even a Virtual Console title to play, but nothing else. In fact, I think the Virtual Console title's character is literally just an airplane and not even Lark himself XD

I was just thinking that. But, knowing Japan, I bet they would probably throw in Arle; especially if this might be the last entry, combined with the extreme amount of requests she has had.

I know Japan has been eager to localize Puyo Puyo again for a while and this might be the franchise's saving grace to finally begin localizing every entry after Puyo Pop Fever to have a release here.

They could start with Virtual Console and release "Puyo Pop 15th Anniversary" for Wii, "Puyo Pop 20th Anniversary" and so on. I guarantee you that Puyo Puyo would be a hit here if they tried one more time, as it has finally established a proper fan base over the past decade. Most people even imported their 3DS JUST to play the Puyo Puyo games. And recent Wii U owners did the same as well, as I hear Puyo Puyo IS on the Japanese Virtual Console AND the Wii U has Puyo Puyo Tetris as well; the definitive version of that entry.

Of course, this dream will only come if Arle makes it into the Smash. All fingers crossed!

And, I say might with the gameplay changes, because if Sakurai leaves, every other sequel won't feel the same. We are talking Melee gameplay, characters probably ONLY from fighting games and so on. It will be truly depressing. I have a feeling they will choose the path that fans want the most, instead of going with their own ideas.

Though again, this is only if Sakurai decides not to return. I assume that is the path they will choose to take.

I love Pichu, as Pikachu was one of my favorite characters to play when I was younger. But, I want Pichu to at least have SOME different moves. Just being a complete clone would be depressing to me. Like, for example, his side special move.

I honestly do enjoy Pichu having the rest of Pikachu's special moves, but I would not mind if he had a new side special move; similar to how Luigi has one that is different from Mario. I do not know what it would be, but I would just not want it to be a clone of Pikachu's as it would at least give Pichu a semi-clone status and guarantee him a spot.

I like Duck Hunt, too! I just hate who he replaced, and dislike him a lot for that, but I do not hate him. And his spike that is the most EASILY linkable one out of all the rest. It is hilarious because, as soon as you are even close to your opponent, the duck pins them below the dog for a spike attack; like, EVERY time and it is freaking hilarious XD

(cough) Fire Emblem (cough)

I know that his personality has since changed and whatever, but I will ALWAYS hold that over Sakurai ever since he actually decided against Takamaru for that ONE reason. NOBODY knew about Fire Emblem, but they put them in anyway. So, why not give Takamaru a go? He was already appearing in titles outside of Japan anyway, so why not?! I just do not get it.
Oh, the sweet, sweet fanservice...:b:

All to their own, then again, I sort of enjoy Captain Olimar and Alph's gameplay. Oh, well.

Also, Lark wasn't playable in Smash 4. Heck, he, along with the ENTIRE cast of Pilot Wings 64 made NO appearance in Smash 4 to note. Again, so weird...

Don't....really have much to say on this subject. Everything you said, I'm pretty much hopeful for it. Still, I'd personally suggest renaming Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary, and Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary...well...Puyo Puyo. Just so no one gets lost, you know? Still, as you've already said, all of this probably will not be possible unless Arle makes it into Smash! I sure hope she makes it! Also, let's pray that the next director of Smash, won't stray away from Sakurai's vision.

I hear everyone saying that with the self-damaging gimmick Pichu has, he could supposedly make use of Smash 4's "rage" effect. Maybe Sakurai could do something with that? Also, I hope his FS would summoning multiple Thunder Bolts. I know, it's cliche, but I really think that could be used as an amazing FS for him.

Duck Hunt really does have a great DAir, don't they? It's hilarious to see the dog grit his teeth while they perform it too!

Yeah, something was wrong with the PC I was using earlier. I wanted to quote the very FACT that Fire Emblem is still a thing worldwide because of Melee. Just like you, I'm always going to hold THAT over Sakurai's head. If he could do that for FE, he could do it for Arle, who has one of the MOST successful puzzle video games ever today. (Though granted, she might have a tougher time of it, due to being 3rd party, and all.) and ESPECIALLY Takamaru, who's been making TONS of cameos in various video games, some of which even include Taka himself in person!

Notshane

Smash Ace
Oh, the sweet, sweet fanservice...:b:
A person can dream, can't they?

All to their own, then again, I sort of enjoy Captain Olimar and Alph's gameplay. Oh, well.
The Pikmin games were great and all, but to me, Olimar is really one of the last Nintendo reps we needed. They really had a bigger list to choose from. I ALWAYS wanted Goemon to show up since he is from an awesome fighting adventure game, but sadly, nobody wants him.

If Arle does not make it this time around, I am going to definitely try to start a campaign for Goemon as well as her, but four times better. In fact, I rebooted the Goemon scene recently on here, but sadly, I did not exactly provide a moveset and all that. I was kind of cheesy in my sentiments so the thread quickly died, but I think it is still open for more replies.

Also, Lark wasn't playable in Smash 4. Heck, he, along with the ENTIRE cast of Pilot Wings 64 made NO appearance in Smash 4 to note. Again, so weird...
Yeah, it is a bit strange. But, when I think about it more, I think they are not counting the Pilotwings franchise as a whole, but are counting that specific SNES one; before the characters were introduced. So, I guess it kind of makes sense when I think about it. Technically, the most recent Pilotwings are not in Sm4sh yet; only the first incarnation on the SNES. Before Lark existed. Hence, the airplane representing Pilotwings on the SNES Masterpiece.

Don't....really have much to say on this subject. Everything you said, I'm pretty much hopeful for it. Still, I'd personally suggest renaming Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary, and Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary...well...Puyo Puyo. Just so no one gets lost, you know? Still, as you've already said, all of this probably will not be possible unless Arle makes it into Smash! I sure hope she makes it! Also, let's pray that the next director of Smash, won't stray away from Sakurai's vision.
Yeah, but everyone that played Puyo Pop Fever still has it to my knowledge. A good chunk of people enjoyed the gameplay and most still buy it again for the Gamecube and some for the Dreamcast since it has the language option and better graphics; since the 3D did feel a bit off. So, they would probably recognize it as "Puyo Pop" since EVERY localization has since referred it as such. It just makes sense to stick with that name, unless everyone really does know it as "Puyo Puyo" now.

I hear everyone saying that with the self-damaging gimmick Pichu has, he could supposedly make use of Smash 4's "rage" effect. Maybe Sakurai could do something with that? Also, I hope his FS would summoning multiple Thunder Bolts. I know, it's cliche, but I really think that could be used as an amazing FS for him.
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. Did not even know about it until this past summer, as I thought the steam was just for effect. But, yeah, it definitely increased the knockback by a crap ton. Ike is unstoppable if you use his rage right.

Duck Hunt really does have a great DAir, don't they? It's hilarious to see the dog grit his teeth while they perform it too!
Yeah, Duck Hunt is literally the first d*ck entry in the series for sure due to all of his moves and the way they chain :laugh:

Yeah, something was wrong with the PC I was using earlier. I wanted to quote the very FACT that Fire Emblem is still a thing worldwide because of Melee. Just like you, I'm always going to hold THAT over Sakurai's head. If he could do that for FE, he could do it for Arle, who has one of the MOST successful puzzle video games ever today. (Though granted, she might have a tougher time of it, due to being 3rd party, and all.) and ESPECIALLY Takamaru, who's been making TONS of cameos in various video games, some of which even include Taka himself in person!
Yeah, exactly. It is SO dumb that it was for that reason alone that Takamaru did not make it. Like, it actually enrages me just a bit; especially since he KNEW that the last time was a success for that series. So, WHY would he refuse to do it again? Makes no sense to me.

Oh, by the way, the American vote for Arle is not with us. On an official thread that made a huge list of links to polls regarding individual characters, Arle did not have favorable results at all. My faith has dwindled a little in the western appeal, too. So, all we can do is pray that Nintendo listens to the vote of Japan just as much.

The Sad Poll Itself:
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll395798xeb47441E-15

I also got a bit sad at this too:
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/02/19/perception-of-smash-dlc-in-japan/

That is, until I noticed something.

Below Arle is Ryu. Now, WHO unexpectedly appeared in Sm4sh as DLC last summer? Yeah, you get the idea. So, Arle can still be an entry, even if nobody particularly voted for her. I mean, Ryu had the demand I'm sure, but this poll clearly states that he was not highly requested at all; only partially at best. And yet, he still showed up.

It gives me faith that Arle still has a chance, even though it also mentions that she has low worldwide recognition, as something that Nintendo actually stays true to is to make sure that all fans are satisfied. So, they could very well go against Arle as well.

Still, given her popular Japanese demand, being in the top FOUR, they could very well surprise us and throw her in for the heck of it. I bet some of the lower results might see fit to appear in Sm4sh at one point too, seeing as how Ryu pulled it off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom