• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Violence is on sale today - Anna for DLC! * Waiting for new stock! Bear with us here! *

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Anna would be great as a mixed-weapons fighter. Limiting her to "money" attacks or the Levin Sword isn't nearly as cool as her possible weapons repertoire. She could probably cover the entire weapon triangle!

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Also I'm glad Roy came back. Already so many Fire Emblem characters. Might as well add a few more amiright.
Well considering there are 14 games in the series each with a main character (in some cases more than one), each games has you controlling an army of about 20-30 units each with various movesets. Combine that with the 14 games and you have a lot of playable characters. But that's not including the various antagonists of the games.
The problem isn't that we have too many characters, the problem is that the series isn't being as well represented as it should be. We have five characters, and two of them are subsidiaries of Marth. Ike I kinda wish was Hector instead just so we could have an axe user, but I respect the fact that he represents heavier classes like Mercenaries and Knights. But we have Robin who brings not only magic which hasn't been seen from an FE rep but also inventory and durability which are major mechanics of the games. So yeah its all really a matter of quantity over quality.
This is pretty much why I support our RNG goddess as Smash's new FE rep. Give her her spear and stats from Apotheosis and specials based primarily on luck and were golden.

I'm probably going to have to avoid this thread to avoid FE Fates spoilers

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You can S Support Anna again? **** YE-*woman* oh...That sucks
It's official, Nintendo is finally making up for Tomodachi Life and making this Fire Emblem game a bit more progressive. At least we know that we can possibly have our female avatar marry Anna in the end.

http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-...2-versions-officially-confirmed-for-the-west/
CAUSE I'VE GOT A GOLDEN TIIICKEEEEEEET
EDIT: Dammit, only 1 person for same sex marriage? I am disappointed with this Nintendo. especially as they are version exclusives. I don't remember any of the male characters being interesting either *sobs*

Last edited:

Akira213

Smash Cadet

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I'd rather keep this discussion out of here, being a Catholic and all--but, it's good they didn't make all characters homosexualable.
Why?
In any work of fictional literature, it is imperative that characters be consistent and believable. Insofar as homosexual relationships are simply not the norm, statistically or socially, in this world OR (more importantly, by far) in the Fire Emblem world, it is healthy in the maintenance of immersion to keep their level of representation reflective of that. Characters would be shallower, and largely inconsistent with their world and many player's expectations, if they were all homosexual. Additionally, it could be seen as the writer using their platform as a very blatant soap box, the same exact problem Ayn Rand's books had, thus cheapening the experience further and making the characters even more shallow.
This is something I don't think Kibayashi-san would do. Furthermore, it'd hurt him as a professional.
Now, I'm not saying any piece of fictional literature that subverts norms is bad, not at all, what I'm saying is that any blatant and shallow subversion of said cornerstone and integral norms makes poor quality art (and, thankfully, poor sales due to the often controversial nature of the change). Fates, on the other hand, is subtle, and does not cheapen the experience, this is due to the low volume of its subversion of series norms.

AH THERE IS NO ANNA IN THIS POST
QUICK, UH, UH...
I'm sure glad Anna was kept in her pure waifu-material (imhoooooo) form!
Also I stayed up 'til 4 in Trihex's Twitch chat and made my waifu for the waifu-bot Anna, and got an up-rating instantly from another Anna fan there. :D
Edit: also discovered that I have more power than 99% of Twitch chat users thanks to a staff member. :cool:

Last edited:

Akira213

Smash Cadet
I'd rather keep this discussion out of here, being a Catholic and all--but, it's good they didn't make all characters homosexualable.
Why?
In any work of fictional literature, it is imperative that characters be consistent and believable. Insofar as homosexual relationships are simply not the norm, statistically or socially, in this world OR (more importantly, by far) in the Fire Emblem world, it is healthy in the maintenance of immersion to keep their level of representation reflective of that. Characters would be shallower, and largely inconsistent with their world and many player's expectations. Additionally, it could be seen as the writer using their platform as a very blatant soap box, the same exact problem Ayn Rand's books had, thus cheapening the experience further and making the characters even more shallow.
This is something I don't think Kibayashi-san would do. Furthermore, it'd hurt him as a professional.
Now, I'm not saying any piece of fictional literature that subverts norms is bad, not at all, what I'm saying is that any blatant and shallow subversion of said cornerstone and integral norms makes poor quality art (and, thankfully, poor sales due to the often controversial nature of the change). Fates, on the other hand, is subtle, and does not cheapen the experience, this is due to the low volume of its subversion of series norms.

AH THERE IS NO ANNA IN THIS POST
QUICK, UH, UH...
I'm sure glad Anna was kept in her pure waifu-material (imhoooooo) form!
Also I stayed up 'til 4 in Trihex's Twitch chat and made my waifu for the waifu-bot Anna, and got an up-rating instantly from another Anna fan there. :D
Edit: also discovered that I have more power than 99% of Twitch chat users thanks to a staff member. :cool:
I'll agree with this post. If you go the Bioware route of making everyone romanceable by every gender your characters become a farce. Having only a couple homosexual characters means you can actually write a strong and believable character. Regardless, the fact that the homo man and the homo woman are version exclusives makes me even more strongly suspect that this is to pander and bait purchases from the yuri/yaoi otaku fanbase. I'm interested to see how the characters will be written or how it may influence other supports if you go that route.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The nice thing about being a filthy pansexual is that I'm open to both sides of the nuptial equation~ :3

I will, of course, wait and see what the characters are like in the game itself before jumping to any conclusions. Fictional romance though it may be, I'd rather have a connection with the character than just tie the knot for trivial reasons.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
How are you people so spoiler-happy? :p

I want to go into the games knowing nothing more than what we knew from the promotional materials... Anna is the exception though. :3

:231:

Akira213

Smash Cadet
How are you people so spoiler-happy? :p

I want to go into the games knowing nothing more than what we knew from the promotional materials... Anna is the exception though. :3

:231:
Probably because we don't get it for a minimum of 6 months (probably longer) and there's a fair chance a lot of stuff will be censored out. I could probably deal with dodging spoilers for a couple months, but more than half a year is beyond my ability.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Insofar as homosexual relationships are simply not the norm, statistically or socially, in this world OR (more importantly, by far) in the Fire Emblem world
Considering that Ike has gay implications, Kjelle had feelings for Severa in Awakening and all the incest the series had, I don't think this holds that much ground. I'm just bummed out because the only woman I can S Support is a clone of a character I dislike instead of Anna

Akira213

Smash Cadet
Considering that Ike has gay implications, Kjelle had feelings for Severa in Awakening and all the incest the series had, I don't think this holds that much ground. I'm just bummed out because the only woman I can S Support is a clone of a character I dislike instead of Anna
The only ACTUAL past incestuous relationship was in FE4. One could argue that Sacred Stones and Awakening had incestuous implications, or that Ike and Kjelle are implied to be homosexual, but even then those are isolated instances and don't support the idea that incest or homosexuality is a norm in the Fire Emblem universe. The fact is that Ephraim can't marry Eirika, Ike doesn't bed Sothe, Lucina neither fulfills an Electra complex or marries Owain, and Kjelle doesn't marry Severa. The only actual instances of either incest or homosexuality prior to FE14 is in FE4, and that's only the former. Even including characters that are implied to be in those kinds of relationships they are still wildly outnumbered by heterosexual characters who don't keep it in the family.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The only ACTUAL past incestuous relationship was in FE4. One could argue that Sacred Stones and Awakening had incestuous implications, or that Ike and Kjelle are implied to be homosexual, but even then those are isolated instances and don't support the idea that incest or homosexuality is a norm in the Fire Emblem universe. The fact is that Ephraim can't marry Eirika, Ike doesn't bed Sothe, Lucina neither fulfills an Electra complex or marries Owain, and Kjelle doesn't marry Severa. The only actual instances of either incest or homosexuality prior to FE14 is in FE4, and that's only the former. Even including characters that are implied to be in those kinds of relationships they are still wildly outnumbered by heterosexual characters who don't keep it in the family.
Outnumbered =/= unfitting
  • Micaiah/Sothe: An orphan and his caretaker. They had first met when she was about 16 and he was about 7,19 and she would continue to raise him for about a decade. FE10 has them married at the conclusion of the game by default6b.
  • Makalov/Astrid: After fleeing from her controlling, sexist noble family by joining the military, Astrid eventually falls in love with Makalov, a disreputable addict of gambling and alcohol, and follows him in joining the Crimean Knights, where she spends her days "mooning over him and cleaning up his messes."
  • Bastian/Lucia: Their epilogue sums this one up: "First among the ministers to support her queen, Lucia never married. However, her affair with Count Bastian continues."
  • Haar/Jill: Haar has been a subordinate of Jill's father for at least eighteen years prior to FE9.20 Jill is definitely younger than 18 as of FE9. That means Haar probably saw Jill in diapers... before eventually marrying her.
  • Naesala/Leanne: This pairing seems innocent enough, until you consider that Leanne is mentally still a child,21 and the epilogue has her bearing two babies.

That's not going into the many interesting and troubling relationships we find among non-player characters, or in other games. It's trivially true that Nintendo likes to court a broad audience with games the whole family can enjoy, but this clearly hasn't stopped them from putting in a full... variety... of relationships. Why should we believe that a same-sex relationship is so much more scandalous than sex out of wedlock, psychological incest, running away from one's family to marry a gambling drunk, or psychological pedophilia?

Once we look at other games, we also find several examples of ****, blood incest, pedophilia, incestuous ****, necrophilia, and so on.22 ... Oh, and also a girl feels up another girl.

This is just to say that Fire Emblem certainly isn't afraid of having relationships that are outside the norm. I just want either the males to be interesting or S support with Anna

Akira213

Smash Cadet
  • Micaiah/Sothe: An orphan and his caretaker. They had first met when she was about 16 and he was about 7,19 and she would continue to raise him for about a decade. FE10 has them married at the conclusion of the game by default6b.
  • Makalov/Astrid: After fleeing from her controlling, sexist noble family by joining the military, Astrid eventually falls in love with Makalov, a disreputable addict of gambling and alcohol, and follows him in joining the Crimean Knights, where she spends her days "mooning over him and cleaning up his messes."
  • Bastian/Lucia: Their epilogue sums this one up: "First among the ministers to support her queen, Lucia never married. However, her affair with Count Bastian continues."
  • Haar/Jill: Haar has been a subordinate of Jill's father for at least eighteen years prior to FE9.20 Jill is definitely younger than 18 as of FE9. That means Haar probably saw Jill in diapers... before eventually marrying her.
  • Naesala/Leanne: This pairing seems innocent enough, until you consider that Leanne is mentally still a child,21 and the epilogue has her bearing two babies.

That's not going into the many interesting and troubling relationships we find among non-player characters, or in other games. It's trivially true that Nintendo likes to court a broad audience with games the whole family can enjoy, but this clearly hasn't stopped them from putting in a full... variety... of relationships. Why should we believe that a same-sex relationship is so much more scandalous than sex out of wedlock, psychological incest, running away from one's family to marry a gambling drunk, or psychological pedophilia?

Once we look at other games, we also find several examples of ****, blood incest, pedophilia, incestuous ****, necrophilia, and so on.22 ... Oh, and also a girl feels up another girl.

This is just to say that Fire Emblem certainly isn't afraid of having relationships that are outside the norm. I just want either the males to be interesting or S support with Anna
Are you talking about normal or homosexual S support with Anna, because the former has already been confirmed.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Yesh... my sweet, sweet, and greedy redhead comes back. :p

Seriously, at this rate, Anna's an iconic FE character, but she doesn't really have a defined combat role, no-what-I'm-sayin'? She was a Trickster and Merchant-warrior-gal in Awakening and now, I have no idea in Fates/If. So, a magic swordsman and a stabby-stabby merchant. Plus, more redheads since we only have... Bowser, Ganondorf, and Roy... all male... redheads... NEEEEEED, FEMALE REDHEAD! Robin already fulfills the swords and sorcery part, but Robin's more magically-inclined, so Anna could be more melee-inclined. Or hell, give her a spear and have her throw out random objects from her backpack. That would be hilarious.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yesh... my sweet, sweet, and greedy redhead comes back. :p

Seriously, at this rate, Anna's an iconic FE character, but she doesn't really have a defined combat role, no-what-I'm-sayin'? She was a Trickster and Merchant-warrior-gal in Awakening and now, I have no idea in Fates/If. So, a magic swordsman and a stabby-stabby merchant. Plus, more redheads since we only have... Bowser, Ganondorf, and Roy... all male... redheads... NEEEEEED, FEMALE REDHEAD! Robin already fulfills the swords and sorcery part, but Robin's more magically-inclined, so Anna could be more melee-inclined. Or hell, give her a spear and have her throw out random objects from her backpack. That would be hilarious.
I imagine she'd be a Trickster again. I thought she'd be able to use multipe weapons, her final smash being flinging every single one at the foes, if she hits even once, she pounces them, slashes with a daggar, and steals all the gold they have because honestly, they degredated your weapons! That **** costs money!

Akira213

Smash Cadet
I want to S Support Anna but I can't. That probably says enough, especially if you click my profile
I see where you're coming from but I still think character/world integrity should come first. If every character were suddenly bisexual I would find it pretty degrading because at that point the characters are being written for the purpose of servicing fans instead of writing a believable character. I think a lot of characters in Awakening and this game already fit the description of that kind of character, and this is something I'd like to see IS pull away from instead of getting even more involved in pandering.

That said, if you asked me I would say its likely that future FE games will probably make a greater portion of the cast (maybe all of it?) open to be romanced by either gender. Technically speaking every Anna IS a different one so one of them being a set of French doors isn't that preposterous.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I imagine she'd be a Trickster again. I thought she'd be able to use multipe weapons, her final smash being flinging every single one at the foes, if she hits even once, she pounces them, slashes with a daggar, and steals all the gold they have because honestly, they degredated your weapons! That **** costs money!
They could incorporate this and make it funny like Duck Hunt's Final Smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I would find it pretty degrading because at that point the characters are being written for the purpose of servicing fans instead of writing a believable character.

That said, if you asked me I would say its likely that future FE games will probably make a greater portion of the cast (maybe all of it?) open to be romanced by either gender. Technically speaking every Anna IS a different one so one of them being a set of French doors isn't that preposterous.
Lots of characters here are copy paste from Awakening. No joke.
I DID read that a majority of women are bisexual...But that's not the point. The only problemI have is that none of the guys seem that interesting in this game so far
They could incorporate this and make it funny like Duck Hunt's Final Smash.
That inspired a neutral B move to me. I should really make an Anna moveset

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard

You've given some excellent examples, aye! Fire Emblem isn't afraid of relationships that are not the cookie cutter society standard. But, I have no sympathy for the "I want to be with this person but I can't due to some outside constraint" mentality, but I do have empathy. It feels like it sucks. But then my reason dictates acceptance of the fact for a number of reasons.

However, It is because they are so outnumbered that it would be unfitting to have them equal in number. That would break the immersion of series veterans, and, again, the writers would simply not be able to make such defiance of the norm consistent and believable given the context of Fire Emblem. The characters would end up shallow, and that is not good art. It is something Kibayashi-san would NEVER tolerate. As Akira said, world and character integrity comes before the other stuff.

Also, I believe it was @ManlySpirit that convinced me so long ago that the Ike gayness with Soren speculation is absolute bull, and playing through RD right now I'm compelled to agree. I forget the various reasons Manly raised again, but my objection is that there is simply too much extrapolation and reading into things / overthinking them, and little true justification from the supposed subtext. True friendship, akin to Jonathan and David, or Amis and Amiles, is exactly what Ike and Soren have.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Found this baby on /v/ and needless to day, it's actually pretty funny. Did any of you see this yet?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You've given some excellent examples, aye! Fire Emblem isn't afraid of relationships that are not the cookie cutter society standard. But, I have no sympathy for the "I want to be with this person but I can't due to some outside constraint" mentality, but I do have empathy. It feels like it sucks. But then my reason dictates acceptance of the fact for a number of reasons.

However, It is because they are so outnumbered that it would be unfitting to have them equal in number. That would break the immersion of series veterans, and, again, the writers would simply not be able to make such defiance of the norm consistent and believable given the context of Fire Emblem. The characters would end up shallow, and that is not good art. It is something Kibayashi-san would NEVER tolerate. As Akira said, world and character integrity comes before the other stuff.

Also, I believe it was @ManlySpirit that convinced me so long ago that the Ike gayness with Soren speculation is absolute bull, and playing through RD right now I'm compelled to agree. I forget the various reasons Manly raised again, but my objection is that there is simply too much extrapolation and reading into things / overthinking them, and little true justification from the supposed subtext. True friendship, akin to Jonathan and David, or Amis and Amiles, is exactly what Ike and Soren have.
About Ike, there's stuff from the localization that helps apparantly, but the reason this started is because you implied Fire Emblem only has uber traditional relationships. I like boys too, but the males don't really look that interesting to me, so it's just a mild annoyance

Found this baby on /v/ and needless to day, it's actually pretty funny. Did any of you see this yet?
Showed this art to my boyfriend a while ago

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Levin Swords can attack from afar right? I don't know, she could have a Thunder move like in Kingdom Hearts that tracks an opponent and does hit stun, but figuring out how to balance that would be difficult since theoretically, it could cover the entire stage and be worse than Sheik's Needles or it could end up like Palutena's Autoreticle and be a somewhat decent projectile. Or she could pull a Snake and throw random stuff as "grenades".

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Levin Swords can attack from afar right? I don't know, she could have a Thunder move like in Kingdom Hearts that tracks an opponent and does hit stun, but figuring out how to balance that would be difficult since theoretically, it could cover the entire stage and be worse than Sheik's Needles or it could end up like Palutena's Autoreticle and be a somewhat decent projectile. Or she could pull a Snake and throw random stuff as "grenades".
They can, the image you shared also had a lightning bolt, the Levin Sword's attack animation was never an actual slash, it summoned a lightning bolt

Akira213

Smash Cadet
Lots of characters here are copy paste from Awakening. No joke.
I DID read that a majority of women are bisexual...But that's not the point. The only problemI have is that none of the guys seem that interesting in this game so far

I thought Gunter and Marx looked pretty cool, but then again that might just be the inner LOTGH fan in me coming out, and I don't swing that way so I suppose I'm not looking at them the same way you might be. The awakening copy pastes don't bother me too much because Awakening isn't getting an actual sequel so it's not too unfair to give them some kind of appearance in the new game, even if it makes the overarching plot even more convoluted.

kek

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
About Ike, there's stuff from the localization that helps apparantly, but the reason this started is because you implied Fire Emblem only has uber traditional relationships. I like boys too, but the males don't really look that interesting to me, so it's just a mild annoyance
I admire that you find it only a mild annoyance, that you are willing and have the fortitude to live with it.
The primary norm I was speaking of is that such relationships are rare comparatively speaking, not that they don't exist. It appears you misunderstood what I meant by these things.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Wait...Outright copying previous characters doesn't ruin the characters...But bisexuality would...This is confusing, all I wanted was an interesting partner in the game, be it Anna or some guy that I take a fancy to
It's important to look at the why of our reasoning. Why would this particular thing ruin the characters, and that one not? Why, instead of just pointing out things that you believe are inconsistent, simply try to think of why we think of it as a consistent position to take, then refute that, and you'll be a step ahead of us.

Edit: of course, if there is no logical inconsistency observed, then it's pertinent to change one's positions according to the fact.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It just confused me how not changing anything outside the character's name would be considered better.
Final note I want to leave on this: Do we need same-sex marriage in Fire Emblem?No. We don't need it. Would it be nice? Yes, it'd be nice, especially with the Tomodachi Life stuff, it'd be nice for people not be restricted because of something in a game. ****, when a friend of mine whined about Awakening lacking same-sex marriage, I told him it didn't really make sense as 2 guys or gals can't exactly make babies.
TLDR: It's like Lyn, I like it, but it's not required. Seriously, Lyn does NOTHING to Eliwood's story.

Akira213

Smash Cadet
It just confused me how not changing anything outside the character's name would be considered better.
Final note I want to leave on this: Do we need same-sex marriage in Fire Emblem?No. We don't need it. Would it be nice? Yes, it'd be nice, especially with the Tomodachi Life stuff, it'd be nice for people not be restricted because of something in a game. ****, when a friend of mine whined about Awakening lacking same-sex marriage, I told him it didn't really make sense as 2 guys or gals can't exactly make babies.
TLDR: It's like Lyn, I like it, but it's not required. Seriously, Lyn does NOTHING to Eliwood's story.
I don't care about adding homosexual or bisexual characters. I care if the majority of the cast in the game is as open minded as Andy Warhol because it brings the game's writing down to the level of a cheesy fanfic. I am fine with homo or bi characters because a more diverse cast is a more interesting one, but the FE universe has an established norm of hetero relationships so you would be creating an inconsistency that's only driven by an attempt to pander to personal fantasies about characters in that universe.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
No! I must have the last word! You are not allowed to win this conversation on my watch! :D
If it confuses you, then it would be to your benefit as to the precise WHY it confuses you. (at which point you'd likely stop being confused.)
If the mechanics don't fit the story, the context, if it is not consistent and believable, it becomes a lesser quality work. IF the wishes of some to not be restricted in their mechanical freedom come to a head with the quality of the work's story, depending on the degree of degradation, the overall quality that is the marriage between the game's mechanics and story must be prioritized.
I mean, we can get into a whole other discussion about the mechanisms of profit in a market economy too, if you want∼

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
No! I must have the last word! You are not allowed to win this conversation on my watch! :D
If it confuses you, then it would be to your benefit as to the precise WHY it confuses you. (at which point you'd likely stop being confused.)
If the mechanics don't fit the story, the context, if it is not consistent and believable, it becomes a lesser quality work. IF the wishes of some to not be restricted in their mechanical freedom come to a head with the quality of the work's story, depending on the degree of degradation, the overall quality that is the marriage between the game's mechanics and story must be prioritized.
I mean, we can get into a whole other discussion about the mechanisms of profit in a market economy too, if you want∼
You can have the last word, I just said I didn't want to talk about it.
My problem with copying characters is this: It's unoriginal. Some people dislike Matthew from Golden Sun, or Apolo from Ace Attourney, as the only difference between those characters and Isaac and Pheonix Wright is literally the name

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
It's not like sexuality adds much to Fire Emblem anyways. Well, supports and children. And story. Well, things just have to make sense.

Whatever, people are always going to piss and moan that their products don't pander/appeal to their tastes/views. I'm getting the feel that this FE politics is all a response to people whining about TL. Smh.

Anyways, Anna. Not very likely. Good potential though. She'd be great in handling the weapon types. Not sure if she'd be suited as a fighter for weapon durability or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom