• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Violence is on sale today - Anna for DLC! * Waiting for new stock! Bear with us here! *

D

Deleted member

Stop pissing off the armadillo.
Last thing we need is for it to get SPICY all up in here.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
Zoroark, Ghirahim, and Chrom in my opinion are not not cool, but rather, problematic additions in the long run. It's for this reason I support Anna over Chrom, even if Chrom is equally cool.

Anna is cool though. Not only that, she may very well attract the types of players that may not usually use guys like Marth or Ike. I imagine many girls would opt to choose Anna if she were in the game. And that's kind of nice.

Edit: Another topic: This Anna thread has really blown up. A lot of the discussion is unrelated to Anna, but still, I'm very surprised and please to see so much support for her in this thread.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Zoroark, Ghirahim, and Chrom in my opinion are not not cool, but rather, problematic additions in the long run. It's for this reason I support Anna over Chrom, even if Chrom is equally cool.

Anna is cool though. Not only that, she may very well attract the types of players that may not usually use guys like Marth or Ike. I imagine many girls would opt to choose Anna if she were in the game. And that's kind of nice.
But I thought you just said you liked Chrom... Guess I'm remembering wrong. BUT GAY GUY!!

Describe coolness of Anna. Cuz I'm not seeing it. She's pretty lame in awakening. Her shopping remarks get old pretty fast.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
I did say Chrom was cool. I was just clarifying the reason I support other characters more than the 3 I mentioned is not to do with coolness or a lack thereof.

Anna is perhaps less cool and more cute. Peach is likable, why? She's got her own personality going on, and it's charming in its own way. Anna does too. She's not as girly as Peach, and not as badass as say Marth or Ike, but she's got her own niche. She is a Trickster, a little troll girl, but in a very charming way. I find it hard to describe. Perhaps someone else could help me out here.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
The most major fallacy enemies of Anna have is they're mad.

And I'm not.
:troll:

Butt seriously, her figure reminds me of Twilight Princess Sheik (much more feminine than her OoT incarnation) concept art.
Now I'm not trying to argue from hotness here, but one has to admit, dat. . .
I wonder what she'd look like with that hair down, and without that silly extra Trickster gear.
. . .
Okay, I just slapped myself.
. . .
Okay, I just went and dunked my head in cool water.

It's an argument from degrees. A single Player Character or NPC ("side character"s) in FE by default is more valuable than Player Characters and NPCs in most other games, and the degree of significance Anna was given in Awakening, combined with her storied legacy being (from what I've seen among FE fans compared to, say, Pokemon fans or Koopa fans in Mario) by default more significant, in the earlier games as we have only recently discovered there are multiple Anna sisters, and now with her expanded role, is one of the reasons I support her. I cannot make the comparison you make to Pokemon because of an FE character's unique stature, and would much closer say that Pikachu or Jigglypuff is far more comparable to Anna when speaking of 'generation' and representation, though I view her as more significant than these. (We're not talking about the TV show here, but I'd be a fool to think that they weren't major impacts when first thought of for Smash, and that would, for me, put her at more even ground as her role in Awakening's Jigglypuff :3)
While I agree with many of your points I would just like to clarify what I meant when stating that I saw Anna as the Nurse Joy of Fire Emblem. Nurse Joy has been ubiquitous throughout the Pokemon series much like Anna has been in the Fire Emblem series. Similarly there is a multitude of Nurse Joys in the Pokemon universe as there are a multitude of Annas in the Fire Emblem universe. The key difference is that one of the Annas was made playable in Awakening while we only saw Nurse-themed Pokemon Trainers in Generation V. Pikachu is a different case in that he is a mascot of one of Nintendo's biggest franchises while Jigglypuff has fallen in general so I personally do not view Anna on the same level as Pikachu or Jigglypuff. But I digress, perhaps it is my fault that this thread is now going into an off-topic frenzy.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I did say Chrom was cool. I was just clarifying the reason I support other characters more than the 3 I mentioned is not to do with coolness or a lack thereof.

Anna is perhaps less cool and more cute. Peach is likable, why? She's got her own personality going on, and it's charming in its own way. Anna does too. She's not as girly as Peach, and not as badass as say Marth or Ike, but she's got her own niche. She is a Trickster, a little troll girl, but in a very charming way. I find it hard to describe. Perhaps someone else could help me out here.
Sure they may be both cute and charming but

Peachs role in Mario>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Anna's role in fire emblem

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
Sure they may be both cute and charming but

Peachs role in Mario>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Anna's role in fire emblem
I wasn't using that as an argument for her inclusion. You asked how she was cool, and I answered.(I actually answered why she is likeable, not necessarily cool, but you get the point.)

So it really doesn't matter how important Peach is.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Anna is a closer analogue to Toad than Nurse Joy. They both have appeared in nearly every game to the series, and usually never have a combative role. However, they do have a role within their games, even if they are not storyline important (ie. Toads give you items and advice, Annas hosts tutorials, secret shops, suspends your game, and hosts the multi-player arena).

The main reason why people are talking about Anna as a possible alternative to Chrom/Lucina despite being a "Toad" is because it would be the equivalent of if the Mario series had new protagonists in each game that basically had nearly the same appearance and abilities as the main heroes in previous games, yet the Toads, despite mostly having a non-combative and non-storyline important role, managed to make an appearance in every game in the series, yet would contrast much more than "just another plumber" (or in Anna's case "another blue-haired swordsmen).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Toads role in Mario>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Anna's role in fire emblem.
Well there has been more Mario platformers than there have been FE games.

Toad has been a playable character in three Mario platformers. Anna has been a playable character in one FE.

Toad's role in Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels was pretty much to troll you and tell you the princess was in another castle. In Super Mario Bros. 3, he gave you items, hosts minigames, and told you to "transform the king back". In Super Mario 64, they pretty much just gave you various advice and sometimes powerstars. In Super Mario Sunshine, they pretty much were just "there", and did not contribute anything to the game.

Ignoring SMB2, NSMBWii, and NSMBU, Anna has done pretty much the same things as Toad. She gave you items (though you would have to buy them), she would give you advice (FE9/FE10 tutorial), and she hosted a mini-game (the multiplayer for the GBA trilogy).

Of course Toad is far more popular and iconic, though that is an extension of how popular and iconic most of the games in the Mario platformer series are.

D

Deleted member

@Chrono
You might want to relabel one of the Super Mario Bros. 2s as "The Lost Levels" or "Super Mario USA". You listed "Super Mario Bros. 2" for both.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Well there has been more Mario platformers than there have been FE games.

Toad has been a playable character in three Mario platformers. Anna has been a playable character in one FE.

Toad's role in Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 2 was pretty much to troll you and tell you the princess was in another castle. In Super Mario Bros. 3, he gave you items, hosts minigames, and told you to "transform the king back". In Super Mario 64, they pretty much just gave you various advice and sometimes powerstars. In Super Mario Sunshine, they pretty much were just "there", and did not contribute anything to the game.

Ignoring SMB2, NSMBWii, and NSMBU, Anna has done pretty much the same things as Toad. She gave you items (though you would have to buy them), she would give you advice (FE9/FE10 tutorial), and she hosted a mini-game (the multiplayer for the GBA trilogy).

Of course Toad is far more popular and iconic, though that is an extension of how popular and iconic most of the games in the Mario platformer series are.

Anna also interacts with the player by directly talking to them. Like Shadow Dragon where she tells you Nabarl likes pretty girls or in FE7 where she asks you to say hi to Jake for her. I find her a very interesting character in that she can interact both in and out the story (link arena), Fire Emblem polls.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Anna also interacts with the player by directly talking to them. Like Shadow Dragon where she tells you Nabarl likes pretty girls or in FE7 where she asks you to say hi to Jake for her. I find her a very interesting character in that she can interact both in and out the story (link arena),
I know that. You also talk to her as a NPC in FE4.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
You love Chrom and hate everyone else, we get it.

just sayin
You know that must be true because he's my favorite so I out him in my avatar because he's... Oh wait that Shinon and gatrie.

I may have said it an indirect matter but really toads role in Mario is super important, they usually are every single commoner and say tons of things and are quite literally everywhere. In most games Anna is just the shopkeeper who only says teehee this is a shop! Not exactly important. And just to be that guy I will now list every single fire emblem character that comes to mind that I like more than Chrom.

Haar, gatrie, Shinon, Gilliam, Lon qu, owain, Joshua, draug, Ryan, nolan, stahl, vaike, donnel, Ross, ewan, hector, zihark, the black knight, Oliver, volke, mordecai, Ike, tibarn, ogma, Gerrick, colm, ephraim, caellach, gerome, Gonzales, dieck, Matthew, guy, Canas, heath... Shall I go on?

Just sayin.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Anna also interacts with the player by directly talking to them. Like Shadow Dragon where she tells you Nabarl likes pretty girls or in FE7 where she asks you to say hi to Jake for her. I find her a very interesting character in that she can interact both in and out the story (link arena), Fire Emblem polls.
*navarl
We live in America unless you are Japanese than apologies. And that is a really freaking minor role. Jake is more important. And jake isn't important.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
say tons of things and are quite literally everywhere. .
I am pretty sure Anna would not ever shut up (saying tons of things) in the FE9/FE10 tutorials. :troll:

I am also sure Anna was quite literally "everywhere" because her face would pop up on the screen wherever I was if I suspended my game. :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I am also sure Anna was quite literally "everywhere" because her face would pop up on the screen wherever I was if I suspended my game. :troll:

Remember, that cheeky smile and that bloody finger will forever haunt you in your sleep. That is, if your even brave enough to sleep at all.
She's a worse evil then any devil.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If you compiled all of Anna's appearances into one game it wouldn't even account for 1/10 of chroms appearances. That's why she doesn't deserve a spot, even as an assist trophy.
Did you know that 90% of statistics are made up on the spot? :troll:

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
If you compiled all of Anna's appearances into one game it wouldn't even account for 1/10 of chroms appearances. That's why she doesn't deserve a spot, even as an assist trophy.
You are clearly failing to see her potential. It doesn't matter if she's half as popular as Chrom, because- and I know I'm repeating myself- she can hypothetically be representational of FE in general. She can be the series mascot if she isn't already. If Sakurai adds Chrom, for Smash 5 he'll have to cut someone, and have another Roy situation on his hands. And look how well that turned out!

If Sakurai is smart enough to add Anna, he won't have to worry about any of that. Her inclusion in SSB would sky-rocket her popularity.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You are clearly failing to see her potential. It doesn't matter if she's half as popular as Chrom,
In the North American FE13 poll, Anna received basically the same number of votes as Chrom did. Its only Japan where Chrom is far more popular than her. I also agree that Anna would be far better received as a newcomer than Chrom would.

That being said, I could easily see Sakurai being boneheaded enough to just cut Ike, and leave FE with just Marth and Chrom.

It will ironically be the reaction to Roy being cut and (and Sakurai deducing what would happen if he cut Ike based on the reaction from Roy leaving) that he may pass on Chrom and come up with the idea to add Anna instead.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
In the North American FE13 poll, Anna received basically the same number of votes as Chrom did. Its only Japan where Chrom is far more popular than her. I also agree that Anna would be far better received as a newcomer than Chrom would.

That being said, I could easily see Sakurai being boneheaded enough to just cut Ike, and leave FE with just Marth and Chrom.

It will ironically be the reaction to Roy being cut and (and Sakurai deducing what would happen if he cut Ike based on the reaction from Roy leaving) that he may pass on Chrom and come up with the idea to add Anna instead.
Yeah, you and I seem to be on the same page on this one. Hopefully Sakurai does get that idea, (for his sake and our own), and opts to include Roy as well. Then, boom, perfect roster in my opinion.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why the hell would she be popular in America?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I honestly think that:

Marth
Ike
Roy
Anna

would be my preferred FE roster.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anna doesn't produce children and she starts as a very gimmicky class. I don't see what's great about her. Never used her in my first playthrough and never even got her in my second

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
What happened in this thread? (o.o)

People still bashing Anna? How surprising... :smirk:
Guess Jigglypuff shouldn't be in Smash, then.

Also, I didn't know I lived in Japan, just because I don't live in America. Guess the European countries are all regions of Japan, after all.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I C UR SIG.
Frostwraith said:
Once the storm arrives and we discuss Fire Emblem again, we will all be playing Fire Emblem: Path of ***********.
I'm waiting the sequel, Fire Emblem: ******** Dawn. :troll:

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Aren't Sheik and Wolf also minor characters? I'm not 100% sure about Wolf since the only Starfox games I played were the first two, but I remember him not existing in the first and Andross being the main villain in both. Sheik was an alter ego that only ever happened once in a series.

Lol. Anyways I've always wanted to live in Japan. I do plan to visit that nation someday.
I hope you get to go there someday :).

D

Deleted member

Wolf is Fox's rival, he's not minor at all. Sheik was important when Melee came out.

Lol. Anyways I've always wanted to live in Japan. I do plan to visit that nation someday.
Planning on going there on vacation next year.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
A Minor character is somebody who assists or interacts with the main character regularly in the story, but doesn't really grow or change during the plot. So Sheik is probably a minor character yes... But since she is Zelda. She's probably still a major character.

At least, during the quick definition search's I've made... :x

Top Bottom