• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villains Mafia - Bad enough dudes! - ENDGAME - HERO + RAM VICTORY!

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
The host determines what the strongman does, not the wiki.
well yeah but what's the point of having the wiki be there otherwise?

the host can determine everything so it's best to follow the normal guidelines. yeah the host can do whatever they want but if I'm mafia and I kill you, and the host keeps you alive just because they want you to live, since the host determines everything, would you still be saying the same thing? That it's okay because the host determines my role?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

the host can determine everything so it's best to follow the normal guidelines. yeah the host can do whatever they want but if I'm mafia and I kill you, and the host keeps you alive just because they want you to live, since the host determines everything, would you still be saying the same thing? That it's okay because the host determines my role?
Frankly sticking to the wiki verbatim would be the single most formulaic and boring thing imaginable.

There are times when fun>balance, and that's one instance. I'd rather have variant roles than the same things over and over.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

The wiki isn’t the mafia bible, it’s more just a guide.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Anyways back on topic..

I wonder what the villains will get pulled from.
I'm crossing my fingers to be Hardin. :p

I have someone else in mind but it'd be way too deep of a pull to expect them lol.

D

Deleted member

You're trying to apply "Normal" game mechanics to a game that's constantly being tweaked between hosts in ways that can defy what the Wiki says based on how they see fit. Apollo and I felt that Bodyguard should be the one taking the bullet regardless, so that's what we went with. And in the end, it made literally no difference who died anyway as the result would have been the same with the only difference being who died that night.

For an example of deviating from the norm, we had a player whose role was literally that they couldn't be killed. Any form of kill be it Mafia factional kill, Vigilante kill, Desparado kill, Bomb kill, Suicide Bomber kill, etc. would not kill them.
By "normal" guidelines, a Strongman is able to kill someone who normally would be protected from said kill.
But it makes no sense for a Strongman to be able to kill that particular player regardless because their role outweighs that of the Strongman's.
If unusual game mechanics and role interactions are being appied, then they need to be left clear. Saying "can't die no matter what" is a wording that implies it beats out Strongman because it's not a protection.
But Bodyguard IS a protecting ability so Strongman SHOULD go through it.
I'm not complaining about how it was handled in this game, but to have future game have consistent rules.
What's stopping me from having a Doctor that roleblocks whoever tries to kill their target? The result is technically the same but it changes up role interaction.

"Normal unless stated otherwise" is a rule that should be followed because players shouldn't be taken by surprise by their own role's effects.

Anyways, this is something that should probably be moved to the "On the game of Mafia" thread.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'm crossing my fingers to be Hardin. :p

I have someone else in mind but it'd be way too deep of a pull to expect them lol.
Honestly there’s so many characters I’d like to be but I’m not really expecting anyone lol

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
If unusual game mechanics and role interactions are being appied, then they need to be left clear. Saying "can't die no matter what" is a wording that implies it beats out Strongman because it's not a protection.
I'm not complaining about how it was handled in this game, but to have future game have consistent rules.
What's stopping me from having a Doctor that roleblocks whoever tries to kill their target? The result is technically the same but it changes up role interaction.

"Normal unless stated otherwise" is a rule that should be followed because players shouldn't be taken by surprise by their own role's effects.

Anyways, this is something that should probably be moved to the "On the game of Mafia" thread.
Wait who couldn’t die no matter what?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Which is kinda funny because I said in the thread that having anything related to Dante's heaing factor would be bonkers...

Turns out it was actually part of the role :laugh:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wait who couldn’t die no matter what?
Dante.

The only way to get rid of him was by "lynch", but even then he'd just leave the game and not actually "die".
He was an unusual third-party role, though, so it was justified.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

My personal philosophy is that a player shouldn't be able to go to an outside resource like the wiki and know exactly how roles work and how to counter them. Even more common roles like cop and doctor should, IMO, have a degree of variance to them. Otherwise the game isn't really your own.

One thing I do in each game is set up a hypothetical priority chart for all the roles that never gets publicly shown. It minimizes player complacency in that regard. And if it were me, the bodyguard would absolutely take the strongman blow. Either that or it'd kill both, depending on what the flavor dictated. Big muscley guy? Kill the bodyguard. Darth Vader's Death Star laser in my old Disney Mafia? Kill the bodyguard and the original target, because it'd make sense.

D

Deleted member

I almost had Gawain as a complete Lynchproof role in Fate/Mafia. Swamp nerfed him but I still had to cut him. Rip Gorilla Saber :(

Also, is Hawain Pizza a Townie role in this game?
Ah so similar to [redacted] from my Pokemafia.
Will we ever know what that role was? I mean, Z25 knows it so what's stopping everyone else from doing so to?
My personal philosophy is that a player shouldn't be able to go to an outside resource like the wiki and know exactly how roles work and how to counter them. Even more common roles like cop and doctor should, IMO, have a degree of variance to them. Otherwise the game isn't really your own.

One thing I do in each game is set up a hypothetical priority chart for all the roles that never gets publicly shown. It minimizes player complacency in that regard. And if it were me, the bodyguard would absolutely take the strongman blow. Either that or it'd kill both, depending on what the flavor dictated. Big muscley guy? Kill the bodyguard. Darth Vader's Death Star laser in my old Disney Mafia? Kill the bodyguard and the original target, because it'd make sense.
My personal philosophy is that players shouldn't be taken by surprise by role interactions and have them either follow Normal guidelines or be implied through the flavor of each ability.
Having players get taken by surprise because they tried to reference the one thing they can is a terrible idea that has no benefit to the game other than make it "unique" and makes them feel cheated. The Wiki has been used as a reference since the first game so outright contradicting it without warning is basically pulling "New Rules as the Plot Demands".

So I guess we gotta agree to disagree.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well... I'm not sure what villain I'm going to get, but if it's any indication, I might end up getting a character that is the exact opposite of my own real world personality. I suppose that would be quite interesting in a way, since well... I'm not exactly the type of person to be a villain in most cases. :o

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I almost had Gawain as a complete Lynchproof role in Fate/Mafia. Swamp nerfed him but I still had to cut him. Rip Gorilla Saber :(

Will we ever know what that role was? I mean, Z25 knows it so what's stopping everyone else from doing so to?

My personal philosophy is that players shouldn't be taken by surprise by role interactions and have them either follow Normal guidelines or be implied through the flavor of each ability.
Having players get taken by surprise because they tried to reference the one thing they can is a terrible idea that has no benefit to the game other than make it "unique" and makes them feel cheated. The Wiki has been used as a reference since the first game so outright contradicting it without warning is basically pulling "New Rules as the Plot Demands".

You all will find out at the beginning of Pokemafia 2. Which is close to being finished so it’ll be going into the queue soon.

Literally the opening bit will have the reveal of Z25’s character from the first game

D

Deleted member

You act like praline dying instead of Opo was such a dramatic surprise when it changed literally nothing except who died.
Katt still got a kill, the Mafia still won the game when the phase ended.

Literally what is the goddamn problem here? You're the only party involved that is freaking out over this, and you weren't even one of the players who was affected in any way.
Katt (the Strongman), Opo (the target), and praline (the Bodyguard) don't see the issue, so why should you?

Just because no one was outright told that the Strongman would be redirected to a Bodyguard if they are blocking the target regardless of what the Wiki says?
So...alert the Mafia that a Bodyguard exists and/or alert the Town that a Strongman exists? Just so "no one is surprised"?
Do you not understand how asinine that logic is?

EDIT: Even your hypothetical scenario of having a Doctor that roleblocks their target unlike a "normal" Doctor doesn't even fit the argument, as players are told what their roles will do in each game.
No one is EVER told you are -insert role- and just expected to know what that means based on outside sources.
If someone is a roleblocking Doctor, they would be told UP FRONT that they are a roleblocking Doctor.
How is that even a question?

Last edited by a moderator:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
"Hey guys what's going o-"

>Thread spends hours arguing about last game

...Ah.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
i peaked on my first mafia game
I realize that I also did the best on the first game that I played.

Granted, I've only played two mafia games, so it isn't saying much, but still.
Anyways back on topic..

I wonder what the villains will get pulled from.
I would be surprised if there wasn't at least one Disney villain.

Top Bottom