• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villager Video Thread

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130

First Smash 4 tournament, critique please! (Only the first game of the set was recorded for whatever reason)
Well, you're very predictable. You let that Marth land shield braker twice and multiple stage spikes! I say vary your recovery more and maybe shield less, dodge more and play a little faster, using more fairs, bairs to your advantage

Goldenadept

Smash Lord

First Smash 4 tournament, critique please! (Only the first game of the set was recorded for whatever reason)
Against Marth you have the choice of approaching or not thanks to your lloid and fair/bair. Chipping away at him while using villagers range and forcing him to get near you might've worked a little better than a bum rush. If you are gonna go on the offensive try varying your moves a bit more and work on OoS (out of shield) options. Nair and Dair OoS are very strong quick moves with long lasting hit boxes that're especially good when your opponent has just whiffed or hit your shield. If rng is on your side that Dair is a spike/strong knockback too, a good gtfo move OoS.
Someone else might be able to confirm but i think Uair/Dair have disjointed hit boxes making them good for ledge guarding or getting back to stage from above safer too.

Use Timber more often when you can because it creates a huge zone that a lot of people are gonna be scared to get near, then you can camp behind it and pelt them with the slingshot. Outside of that pretty good first kill with Fsmash i think Ftilt would've been better option in most cases as its faster and less punishable while making room for you to set up shop again.

Keftii

Smash Rookie
NNID
Keftii
3DS FC
3368-3629-0323
QueenLepine,
I advice you to improve on your spacing game, nair as well as uair and dair have rather long lasting hitboxes and are pretty fast short hopped or strong out of shield (nair) options. Ftilt is a good get off of me tool too.
I also advice you to make better edgeguard and recovery decisions. In my opinion this marth was just as predictable as you were. He went deep for the stage spikes just about everytime. I think if youre facing villager, this can often turn into a mistake. Dont go for recovery immediatly, just hit him with a nair or dair and he will respect you more and stay on stage. Because after losing a jump he can easily be gimped this way. And as far as edgeguard goes, smash is not your only option, just dropping yourself offstage and nair dair does the job well against marth.
Timber is also good to keep enemies off, especially since this Marth wasnt rushing down (in my opinion mainly spamming fsmash...) and you shouldve had the time to plant more sapling for mindgames and axes.
And some obvious mistakes you might have realized yourself, like getting hit by shield breaker (he didnt even tip you as a punisher), and doing 3 usmashes in a row just begs for punishment. And improve your speed.

Veldt

Smash Rookie
NNID
VeldtYo
First post, just looking for help.
This is one of my first games on FG using the 3DS and I'd very much appreciate it if you guys could help me become better.

I know I screw up a lot in this video and let Ike walk all over me a bit but I'd like to know how to stop that.

Keftii

Smash Rookie
NNID
Keftii
3DS FC
3368-3629-0323
Learn the matchup is what id advice you,apart from the usual villager techniques you should refine more.Since this Ike was constantly doing risky plays you shouldve teached him not to spam the same 3moves over and over that you couldve punished with fairs,throws and jabs at the least... But id say your biggest mistake is the typical for glory scrub mode taunt after a kill. Not only is it unnecessary,but with villagers long lasting taunt it leaves you open for a smash,instead of you planting a sapling in advance,thus building on a lead.

zeezee

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-0319-8479
I finally got some good footage to upload after seemingly two months or so lmao. I really love my movement in these two, I wish I could always play like this, but nervousness seems to kick in on my more harder matches and even without nervousness I just flat out lose the muscle memory on my hands from the training I do in sometimes. Guess I just gotta train harder...

Anyways, this one here is a highlight of my best matches from a long online Twitch stream session I had with a player that goes by the tag of "J.A.P.A.N."

This one here was recorded by this awesome villager main I met in this tournament called Razul, we did a couple of matches and needless to say. hes really good too! I know its cam gameplay, but still give it a look and see because some neat stuff happens that first match. Believe me, that getup attack spike was most definitely intentional! You'll notice this because I never do the getup attack unless my opponent is about to trump me off the ledge.

Got some more matches from this tourney on the way (can't download them right now due to technical difficulties), but don't expect my play to be as clean as these last two...regardless some neat stuff happens in those two as well.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
@ zeezee zeezee

very good villager.

just i dont see you wall jumping that much. could help with some mix up recoveries as well as a surprise attack, ala wall jump, bair to get back on stage, or for edge guarding, wall jump dair, or fast fall nair.

and also not much tree. thats cute, watering it from the edge while recovering. i have trouble doing that. end up not watering it enough before hand that when i recover water it, it doesnt grow. i think ive only been able to do that once in fg.

in that match with zss, it doesnt look as if that zss was too good. but pocketing a fully charged paralyzer is soooo fun! free follow ups to the max!

zeezee

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-0319-8479
@ zeezee zeezee

very good villager.

just i dont see you wall jumping that much. could help with some mix up recoveries as well as a surprise attack, ala wall jump, bair to get back on stage, or for edge guarding, wall jump dair, or fast fall nair.

and also not much tree. thats cute, watering it from the edge while recovering. i have trouble doing that. end up not watering it enough before hand that when i recover water it, it doesnt grow. i think ive only been able to do that once in fg.

in that match with zss, it doesnt look as if that zss was too good. but pocketing a fully charged paralyzer is soooo fun! free follow ups to the max!
I'll try to incorporate wall jumps more into my game, especially when it comes to edge-guarding because it sort of covers options y'know? Jump into Nair, if that misses, walljump off the wall and do a dair/fair/nair.

Ehhhh I'm a bit skeptical about the tree's viability at the moment though...especially vs really fast characters like ZSS which make it seem virtually impossible to ever safely plant the leaf during the neutral state, much less have the chance to water it on top of that. I'll try to do it more vs slower characters though, but usually when I have the chance to realistically put a leaf down safely, (when my opponent is stuck in hitstun, off-stage or in the middle of lag) I feel like I'm usually a better idea to just go for a follow up or wait to edge-guard. There's usually no reason not to do it after your opponent is KO'd though so I almost always do it then.

A villager main at the tournament (might have been Razul, don't remember) did tell me about its possibilities for edgeguarding though, how it can cover a lot of ledge options when you water it. I'm definitely gonna try to hit the lab and figure that stuff out.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
the tree is situational, i usually plant one after i have launched my opponent and cant follow up, us ually right after i launch, gyroid to cover thier landing option.

and ive had experience with a teleporting zelda and planting trees.... not good.

i usually plant it when i can and either lure my opponent close to it or combo them across the stage to where my sapling is. that forces their hand sometimes and you can cover a lot of options. after that, at low percents, tree growth combos into up air, fair, bair, nair, or dair, and since the tree doesnt have a hurtbox where the leaves are, i lauch a gyroid to prevent jump overs, and if they do, you can respond with an up air.

when your combo heavy or in neutral, its best not to plant the sapling, but if you get them off stage, you can plant the sapling at the edge, or a little bit behind and then go off stage for the edge guard, and if they make it back, you still have the tree as a back up.

even just having he tree out is great stage presence. plus you get an ax which makes a great b reverse kill move or Oos

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Try preloading a tree by hopping away while watering it. Then lure them close by and water it again to make it grow instantly. Does the tretree'ses lifespan start as soon as it grows? Or as soon as it's planted? Cause it's nice to leave it ready to grow sometimes, then

Krugy

Smash Cadet
Thanks a ton for all the feedback earlier. I think I've made a fair amount of progress quickly taking all of the suggestions into my thoughts. I feel I've upped my speed slightly and used more 'get off me' options. Picked up lloid momentum cancelling and sapling baiting.

I played a serious friendly against a DK here. (The end might look pretty familiar for the guys that watched my other video.) I feel this matchup should be heavily in Villagers favor but it seems to be dead even for me. Things I notice I need to work on are reminding myself during matches to stay away and not go in, especially against a DK. Mix up my spot dodges better. Stop Usmashing when I should uair. Probably stopping lloiding in their face. Stop running into their dash away pivot grabs.

If anyone is interested, I streamed about 5 hours of me and 2 friends practicing tonight. There's a lot of my Villager in here. http://www.twitch.tv/krugybb/b/615114176

Tomorrow is our first Fargo monthly and there's fair chance I'll play that Marth and this DK again. Hope I can get some tips before the tournament! Thanks guys.

(The video may still be processing, I just uploaded it.)

Last edited:

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Yea about your spacing, as you seem to already be aware, be careful not to pick at dk to closely at low percents because he will quickly retaliate since he'll just flinch instead of being knocked back. Especially if you hit with a distant slingshot and land close to him for a followup. The follow-up will be his fist in your face.

Keftii

Smash Rookie
NNID
Keftii
3DS FC
3368-3629-0323
queenlepine,your game has greatly improved i can tell.and also dont worry,this DK plays solid,unlike that marth,so youre in a better spot.id still advice more nairs though.and one thing i saw was your grabbing of the ledge which pushed DK away couldve been followed up by bowling ball/dair/nair since his invincibiliy is gone.i still think your edge guarding can improve,especially against predictable recovery/DK.the shield break with DK is also less obvious than marths but you should always keep that in mind when your shields been pressured,as well as his charged B,which makes him power through your keep away attempts such as fair for example.but you learned much in short time!

StanTheFan

Smash Rookie
NNID
StanTheFanSSB
Thanks a ton for all the feedback earlier. I think I've made a fair amount of progress quickly taking all of the suggestions into my thoughts. I feel I've upped my speed slightly and used more 'get off me' options. Picked up lloid momentum cancelling and sapling baiting.

I played a serious friendly against a DK here. (The end might look pretty familiar for the guys that watched my other video.) I feel this matchup should be heavily in Villagers favor but it seems to be dead even for me. Things I notice I need to work on are reminding myself during matches to stay away and not go in, especially against a DK. Mix up my spot dodges better. Stop Usmashing when I should uair. Probably stopping lloiding in their face. Stop running into their dash away pivot grabs.

If anyone is interested, I streamed about 5 hours of me and 2 friends practicing tonight. There's a lot of my Villager in here.

Tomorrow is our first Fargo monthly and there's fair chance I'll play that Marth and this DK again. Hope I can get some tips before the tournament! Thanks guys.

(The video may still be processing, I just uploaded it.)
With this match-up, your goal is to space him out with bairs / fairs / lloids until an opportunity presents itself for you to take initiative. At about 0:53 you did that really well. As soon as DK jumps over your projectiles to come at you, you put up your shield and waited for the attack, then punished with a grab. This should be a huge chunk of the match-up.

Another thing I would suggest you try implementing is the ol condition and switch. If you're playing someone who is at a level where they will start picking up on your habits, you can condition them into thinking you'll do something, but then you change it up and get the hit. For example, you liked to use UpSmash a lot of the time that DK was above you. If he started air dodging the UpSmashes, you could wait for the air dodge and get a free up-air or uptilt during the lag of the air dodge.

However, with that being said, you seem to have the general idea of how to play Villager. Just keep working on the small things, and you'll improve.

Edit: Grammar

Last edited:

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Midnight
yea those fullhop dairs were pretty funny. : P

I saw a handful of obvious shurikens from your opponent when you were attempting to recover, but every time, you were too busy making sure lyoid was out to actually pocket it. He also seemed to like throwing them out that one time you had your tree out. People sometimes act funny when the tree's out, so I try to take note of how they respond to it and punish accordingly.

It's hard to say when you're just watching, but I feel like putting some space between you and letting him choke on his own projectiles could have worked. They're useful, but really predictable and greninja players like the way they cut through our trees.

Last edited:

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Actually, I had been under the impression for whatever reason that they couldn't be pocketed, but I saw another villager do it in a video a few hours ago. So I feel silly now.

Some people bat you away from the tree and then murder it. It's pretty funny. They're terrified of that thing.

I'm on a mission to get more Greninja experience because that was my first time playing one.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
yea it's actually hilarious what you can do with his pocket. you can even grab a pac man hydrant that's already on the ground, and rethrow it out. and pac man can throw out another every time you pocket the last one he threw out. it gets funny. i wonder if you can pocket the logs from greninja's counter. that'd be pretty useless. (unless they actually do something and i don't know it)

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
yea it's actually hilarious what you can do with his pocket. you can even grab a pac man hydrant that's already on the ground, and rethrow it out. and pac man can throw out another every time you pocket the last one he threw out. it gets funny. i wonder if you can pocket the logs from greninja's counter. that'd be pretty useless. (unless they actually do something and i don't know it)
The logs are highly uninteractable.
You can kick them around, but the dont do damage and cant be pocketed. Its more of a decoration than an item.

zeezee

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-0319-8479
the tree is situational, i usually plant one after i have launched my opponent and cant follow up, us ually right after i launch, gyroid to cover thier landing option.

and ive had experience with a teleporting zelda and planting trees.... not good.

i usually plant it when i can and either lure my opponent close to it or combo them across the stage to where my sapling is. that forces their hand sometimes and you can cover a lot of options. after that, at low percents, tree growth combos into up air, fair, bair, nair, or dair, and since the tree doesnt have a hurtbox where the leaves are, i lauch a gyroid to prevent jump overs, and if they do, you can respond with an up air.

when your combo heavy or in neutral, its best not to plant the sapling, but if you get them off stage, you can plant the sapling at the edge, or a little bit behind and then go off stage for the edge guard, and if they make it back, you still have the tree as a back up.

even just having he tree out is great stage presence. plus you get an ax which makes a great b reverse kill move or Oos
After a couple of friendlies with a fellow villager player and a bunch of tourney matches this week, I've come to the revelation that you were right about the tree usage and my lack of it in the aforementioned situations. I'll try my best to implement it more into my game, thanks for the advice.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
After a couple of friendlies with a fellow villager player and a bunch of tourney matches this week, I've come to the revelation that you were right about the tree usage and my lack of it in the aforementioned situations. I'll try my best to implement it more into my game, thanks for the advice.
Especially on certain stages like windy hill zone, the sapling blends in with the grass and you nor your opponent cant see the sapling ( or you can pretend not to see it and surprise them, or water not on your tree for mindgames)

StanTheFan

Smash Rookie
NNID
StanTheFanSSB
Video of me vs Manny at Paragon, let me know what you think
I remember watching this live. You played really well! Sorry you didn't go further in the tournament. I learned a lot watching this set, so thanks for that. I didn't really think about spamming jab to stop the spin dash, but it appears to have worked well for you, for the most part.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Great stuff, but I have to ask: Why Villager instead of Diddy? Considering how much trouble Sonic gives us when he's playing properly, I would've thought a character like Diddy would be better suited for the MU.
I think Sonic is diddy's worst MU, it's probably about the same for Villager but a lot of people don't know the Villager MU.

I remember watching this live. You played really well! Sorry you didn't go further in the tournament. I learned a lot watching this set, so thanks for that. I didn't really think about spamming jab to stop the spin dash, but it appears to have worked well for you, for the most part.
Thanks, ya I was testing it with a friend before the tournament and Villager's jab punches faster the faster your press A when I tested it with a friend he could never get through rapid jabbing when he tried spindashing so maybe Manny was just better at timing it or maybe I just wasn't mashing A fast enough >.>

StanTheFan

Smash Rookie
NNID
StanTheFanSSB
I think Sonic is diddy's worst MU, it's probably about the same for Villager but a lot of people don't know the Villager MU.

Thanks, ya I was testing it with a friend before the tournament and Villager's jab punches faster the faster your press A when I tested it with a friend he could never get through rapid jabbing when he tried spindashing so maybe Manny was just better at timing it or maybe I just wasn't mashing A fast enough >.>
Oh, that's interesting. Do you think it was the first or the latter? If it was just you not mashing fast enough, that's an easy thing for you to fix, and a great thing for villager in the match up.

Krugy

Smash Cadet

Here I am again. This was immediately after my last video so I didn't have time to work on all the advice I got. I've played a Ness (same guy) only once before and he also beat me in tournament when I feel I play the worst. Hopefully I can work on those nerves with all the events I'm going to in the next couple months. Also in the same playlist I'm playing against a sheik that I won but still pretty embarrassed about. I feel like I have a hard time with people who aren't really thinking about what they're doing and just go go go.

About the DK matchup, thanks for those tips. I'm giving him a much harder time than before but I'm still breaking the habit of doing a close landing aerial into obvious grab bait. Thanks again for these tips, it's really helping.

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice

Here I am again. This was immediately after my last video so I didn't have time to work on all the advice I got. I've played a Ness (same guy) only once before and he also beat me in tournament when I feel I play the worst. Hopefully I can work on those nerves with all the events I'm going to in the next couple months. Also in the same playlist I'm playing against a sheik that I won but still pretty embarrassed about. I feel like I have a hard time with people who aren't really thinking about what they're doing and just go go go.

About the DK matchup, thanks for those tips. I'm giving him a much harder time than before but I'm still breaking the habit of doing a close landing aerial into obvious grab bait. Thanks again for these tips, it's really helping.
I fought a couple Ness (Nesses? Nessi? Whats the plural?) the last tournament I went to and quickly found ok that being PK Fired while hanging on the edge is very annoying. Seems like we both have to figure out a way to deal with that. Nice try and success with pocketing Ness's recovery. Always satisfying when you can get it.

As far as fighting DK...I have a friend who plays a very good DK. I found that building a wall of lyoids and fairs that he can't get through has been the most successful for me. Pester him and chip away till he's over 100% and then you can run in and hopefully hit him with one of Villagers many kill moves. It's not the way I like to play but it works very well against DK. (Also, just had a thought. I wonder how Villager's watering can works against DK's UpB?)

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
I fought a couple Ness (Nesses? Nessi? Whats the plural?) the last tournament I went to and quickly found ok that being PK Fired while hanging on the edge is very annoying. Seems like we both have to figure out a way to deal with that. Nice try and success with pocketing Ness's recovery. Always satisfying when you can get it.

As far as fighting DK...I have a friend who plays a very good DK. I found that building a wall of lyoids and fairs that he can't get through has been the most successful for me. Pester him and chip away till he's over 100% and then you can run in and hopefully hit him with one of Villagers many kill moves. It's not the way I like to play but it works very well against DK. (Also, just had a thought. I wonder how Villager's watering can works against DK's UpB?)
I would imagine the watering can clanks with it, but I haven't tried it before so I can't say for sure.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
I'm personally a huge fan of the dirt poking taunt. I dont even know why i find it so funny but its hilarious and adorable

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrh_zRqPW6U&index=10&list=PLFXOgPi6_N5T8kkzQM7N25zmuFBlAqZv4 I first use duck hunt, (I played him so so sooooo terribly, but then again I never had anyone get that many reads on me so...lel). I played villager the next 2 rounds. Please Can you give me any tips to get better? I'm thinking I could've done a bit better if I spaced more then again...he can't shield when he's in the air and I can just punish his landing lag win win...but ANYWAYS I just need some advice if you can give me any.

Last edited:
Top Bottom