• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villager Video Thread

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Nice last stock,

But.... WHY U NO USE TREE!!!!!

Mm linear rcovery could easily have been takem care of with a simple chop chop,
Good question. XP I don't use it much.

Sure, I like it, but I mostly use it to catch a breath when the opponent is too in my face, cuz they dont dare approach the tree, most of the time.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I usually just plant it in a random spot, and if the fight taked me back to the sapling, it givese an extra option.

But as an edge guard, your opponent isnt in your face, and off stage pressure is always good.

Maybe just plant the tree water it, chase off stage, and there will be great presence of the tree if they make it back. No use avoiding if they have to pass it to get back on stage.

But other wise, your villager is great without the tree. :D

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I use the tree sometimes for edgeguarding, but oftentimes I just decide to jump in after them with nair XD

But yeah, tree can definitely be used. I just stopped using it frequently for some reason x.x

Also that match is a month old or so. This is a more recent one.

IDK if you can see an improvement.

Last edited:

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
So I just got a Capture Card

I need to mess around with it a bit more to find out how to make better videos and stuff, but the point is, I love this match I had with my friend XP Especially the ending...

What do yall think? ;3
You NEED to Short hop much much more.
Other than that gj

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Other than that gj
I do with taller opponents, for fairing and bairing, but I know my friend WILL slide into me if I try that.

I mostly SH dair, tho, for some reason I didnt do it much here XD

Tho as I said, it IS an older match, the one I most recently posted, I probably do it more XP

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I use the tree sometimes for edgeguarding, but oftentimes I just decide to jump in after them with nair XD

But yeah, tree can definitely be used. I just stopped using it frequently for some reason x.x

Also that match is a month old or so. This is a more recent one.

IDK if you can see an improvement.

One thing you can do better, soft hit of dair combos into f tilt, so try that instead of rolling.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
One thing you can do better, soft hit of dair combos into f tilt, so try that instead of rolling.
Most of the time I try to follow up dair hits with fairs, unless I feel unsafe to keep pursuing the attack.

Does ftilt work better?

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Short hop dair, or failing dair, if it hits, they will either trip, or be in hitstun. Following up with an f tilt is quick and gets them away from you. Doing anothwr fair/bair isnt guarunteed because of how hard it is to hit someone with it when they are on the ground.

An auto canceled sh dair could also work, but youd need some forward momentum first.

Also another thing, up airs string together for a great juggle,
You can do things like uptilt>upair, faling upair, double jump up air> fast fall jump up air, double jump up air, you can keep them in the air by catching their landings with up tilt, or up smash, or even dtilt.

Another thing i dont see you utilizing is villagers wall jump. It could be easier as a surprise attack and a mix up rather than just ballooning to the edge, regrabbing and losing your invincibility. You got lucky because mm kept missing those dairs at the edge.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Short hop dair, or failing dair, if it hits, they will either trip, or be in hitstun. Following up with an f tilt is quick and gets them away from you. Doing anothwr fair/bair isnt guarunteed because of how hard it is to hit someone with it when they are on the ground.

An auto canceled sh dair could also work, but youd need some forward momentum first.

Also another thing, up airs string together for a great juggle,
You can do things like uptilt>upair, faling upair, double jump up air> fast fall jump up air, double jump up air, you can keep them in the air by catching their landings with up tilt, or up smash, or even dtilt.

Another thing i dont see you utilizing is villagers wall jump. It could be easier as a surprise attack and a mix up rather than just ballooning to the edge, regrabbing and losing your invincibility. You got lucky because mm kept missing those dairs at the edge.
Yeah, I juggle people with uairs all the time XP Its also nice to dair into uair, when the bounce up from turnip spike.

Also yeah, Cody also told me that I should walljump.

IDK, I want to, but my natural instinct is to just recover normally x.x I am trying to work on that tho...XP

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Dair spike to stage bounce triple up air is the best XD especialy if it kos

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358

I need to mess around with it a bit more to find out how to make better videos and stuff, but the point is, I love this match I had with my friend XP Especially the ending...

What do yall think? ;3
Other than that gj
I do with taller opponents, for fairing and bairing, but I know my friend WILL slide into me if I try that.

I mostly SH dair, tho, for some reason I didnt do it much here XD

Tho as I said, it IS an older match, the one I most recently posted, I probably do it more XP
SH BAir FF is actually near impossible to punish at certain ranges for megs.
SH NAir OoS is a great option, or NAirs SH'd in general
Try to incorporate more NAirs with SH's to be safe..
I'll post a low quality video showing what I mean.

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
Here are a couple Salem matches from the latest Clash Tournament.

Against Wii Fit Trainer. Crazy! He doesn't stop.

Against a really good Sonic.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Honestly, against Sonic, I feel that the only way you should let out lloid rocket is by hopping off the stage, then using it.

Other than that, Salem is great. He really knows how to follow up.

He just needs to work on his offstage game. In the second game, he could have killed sonic with a second nair, when they were both dropping.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Another way to deal with dash grabs is to launch the gyroid in the opposite direction as a mix up. If you read their approach, the gyroid could interrupt the grab.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Another way to deal with dash grabs is to launch the gyroid in the opposite direction as a mix up. If you read their approach, the gyroid could interrupt the grab.
But what if they aren't the type to slide when they dash grab?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Captain Falcon also comes to mind :3

I actually always hop off the stage and lloid, because I feel that if I just lloid in the opposite direction, there's a chance that will fail, unlike actually being out of dash grab range XP And it sets me up on the ledge, where I can start doin some damage.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
Salem seems to be a strong contender.
I saw alot of opportunities for Run USmash, which is actually really strong with villager and can kill 100-140% depending on Villager's rage.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Salem seems to be a strong contender.
I saw alot of opportunities for Run USmash, which is actually really strong with villager and can kill 100-140% depending on Villager's rage.
And the amazing thing is his Usmash has so many possibilities now

Sliding dsmash to usmash
DIRTBUS
Perfect Pivot Dsmash to usmash

It's such a great move XP

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
And the amazing thing is his Usmash has so many possibilities now

Sliding dsmash to usmash
DIRTBUS
Perfect Pivot Dsmash to usmash

It's such a great move XP
Honestly I cannot DIRTBUS no matter how hard I try.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
May i inquire about a dirtbus?
Dash into run transition boosted up smash.
http://smashboards.com/threads/new-grab-cancel-slide-technique-with-video.380464/page-2
Check out page one and two, but I say Page two because Page one didn't even have the correct button inputs down.
Its essentially a better DACUS, which occurs when you USmash during the transition from dash to run.
I'm sure I could get it down if I could get it once and understand where exactly I need to press, but...

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Honestly I cannot DIRTBUS no matter how hard I try.
It's not that hard, just gotta have the timing down. I can't do it consistently, since I don't practice it often, but like, once out of every 4 or 5 times, I can XD
There's like somewhat close to a 1-second after the dash where you need to do it.

citronic

Smash Rookie
NNID
areyoutoonenough
3DS FC
1950-9105-1712
Villager vs. Ness

Not my best match-- I played particularly foolishly on my first stock, but I had nothing better saved and I liked the ending.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
That commentator tho.

I should try to fast fall more while I do aerials.

He also has made it clear what you need to do to beat Sonic. Dance around him and use all of your aerials to keep your distance.

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965

What do yall think? ;3
Very basic imo. Too slow, no use of trees and too many missed punishes/bad reads. You full hop DAir too much. Try SH DAiring with momentum an utilize the ftilt.

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
Was pretty impressed with this guy's villager. He's very fast paced.

Now THAT's how you play Villager. EDIT: Now that I watched the rest of the video, it wasn't that great. Too many whiffed fsmashes as well as a few other things. I definitely liked his aggression much of the time but there was a time where he could have jumped off stage and NAired Sonic for an easy kill when he was at like 176% or something. My favorite thing was him jabbing and also SH Dairing when Sonic did his spin dash. THOSE were great strategies against Sonic. I hate that character's Aerial combos. SO annoying with that stupid scissor kick and follow-up from the spin dash.

Last edited:

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel

Here is some Amazing Villager play that I found. Commentary sucks though. :p

Also it's only the first 10 minutes that are Villager.

Last edited:

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice

Very nice use of pocketed Thunder! I've never seen anyone use that before, in fact I'm not sure I've ever seen it done before.

Here's some Japanese videos of an awesome Villager player named Ranai that I randomly saw on Twitch last night. I turned it on to see Ranai climbing out of the losers bracket to make it to the Grand Finals. The last match I watched was a Grand Finals rematch of this first video.

Here are some more of Ranai's matches. I'm so impressed by how low they are able to shoot the fairs and bairs before hitting the ground. I tend to find I have trouble against shorter characters because I can't get the move off that close to the ground. Ranai doesn't have that problem.

Last edited:

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
These Villager Matchups never cease to be exciting. I sure hope Nintendo doesn't nerf him/her.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Very basic imo. Too slow, no use of trees and too many missed punishes/bad reads. You full hop DAir too much. Try SH DAiring with momentum an utilize the ftilt.
Ouch. Thanks for being honest, I guess XDD

Though at least the missed punished and bad reads are at least not just my faults with Villager in specific, but my ability as a player~ XP

I don't mind being basic tho, cuz Villager's basic skills are all I need to win XD

@ cwjakesteel cwjakesteel That's Cody! I played him once, like 6-7 times. Didn't beat him once, but did come close to it xD

Last edited:

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
Ouch. Thanks for being honest, I guess XDD

Though at least the missed punished and bad reads are at least not just my faults with Villager in specific, but my ability as a player~ XP

I don't mind being basic tho, cuz Villager's basic skills are all I need to win XD

@ cwjakesteel cwjakesteel That's Cody! I played him once, like 6-7 times. Didn't beat him once, but did come close to it xD
Well, if you're content in playing as such, then by all means go right ahead. Whatever suits you. I'm just saying, if you ever planned on playing at a higher level, you would not have much luck. I'm not trying to bring you down. Truthfully, I just see a lot that I feel you'd need to work on. Just suggestions at the end of the day so it's all good.

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
These Villager Matchups never cease to be exciting. I sure hope Nintendo doesn't nerf him/her.
I agree. He's the most balanced character in the game so far as I've recognized. He needs no nerfs. All I would do really is buff the cool down of his grab to be shorter and that's all.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Well, if you're content in playing as such, then by all means go right ahead. Whatever suits you. I'm just saying, if you ever planned on playing at a higher level, you would not have much luck. I'm not trying to bring you down. Truthfully, I just see a lot that I feel you'd need to work on. Just suggestions at the end of the day so it's all good.
I DO want to get better (and trust me, I've been working on varying my playstyle a lot. A couple of months ago I was such a scrub)

I doubt I'd ever want to be fully competitive at this game, but getting better is always the dream.

I don't think I'm that bad tho, considering I almost beat Cody, and he's like a 2-time local tournament winner (probably more now, tbh XP)

But I guess while I excel at one area, I still have a lot of work to do in the other areas, cuz that one area I'm good at isn't going to be enough for EVERY situation XD

Last edited:

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965

LOL! That commentator is hella salty talking about Villager's recovery. What a baby. Other than that, yes, Skillager along with Lord Cat God, Zee and I'd like to say myself as well are Villagers to look out for, study and learn from.

Here's a video displaying some of my skill. I'm new to playing a GOOD Bowser Jr. so this was a great match for me. Much for me to improve on, some mistakes here and there but otherwise, entertaining and something I think many can learn from both sides.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
LOL! That commentator is hella salty talking about Villager's recovery. What a baby. Other than that, yes, Skillager along with Lord Cat God, Zee and I'd like to say myself as well are Villagers to look out for, study and learn from.

Here's a video displaying some of my skill. I'm new to playing a GOOD Bowser Jr. so this was a great match for me. Much for me to improve on, some mistakes here and there but otherwise, entertaining and something I think many can learn from both sides.

Some of your reads early on seemed a bit off, and you might want to save Smash attacks for when you know they will kill, since other, less commiting moves can come out faster and form better strings for just as much, if not more, damage.

But great finish, especially coming back from an unfortunate SD.

I faced Skillager already, but haven't had the chance to face Zee, and I did NOT know who Cat God was O.o

However, I WOULD like to face you at some point to try and learn a few pointers, if that'd be fine :3

Also, I feel Salem also has a really solid Villager~

Top Bottom