• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villager Video Thread

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
I managed to get another match in with Jtails online as well! This time I decided to add a little mini analysis of what was happening in the form of annotations. Pause if you need to as some probably go faster than I had hoped they would.
If you were wondering what Jtails was talking about at the beginning, I actually won last weeks 3ds tournament at queens college, actually beating Jtails! Too bad my money wont come in til two weeks from now lmao.

Wanted to shout out another good player that played on stream vs Nakat. Player 1 was pulling out some sick stuff such as consecutive reversal grabs and ZZS' pocketed stun lazer into a freaking fsmash! Give it a look below.
Loved the annotations! Please do more of loves. I found myself pausing the video, reading them, going back and watching for exactly what you were doing. Well done!

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
you cant delete them. and usually if it doesnt show the first time, just hit refresh.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
when should and how should I incorporate Turnips in my playstyle?
Turnips, ie U-air and D-air are disjointed meaning that Villager can use it to win attack clashes with other moves that are not disjointed meaning that their both really good air-to-air depending on where the opponent is. If you want to kill someone from the top use U-air as a 3 turnip U-air from the top kills very early. If you can get a away with a spike (which is often given Villager's recovery) use d-air since 3 turnips means it spikes when sweetspotted . Since D-air is disjointed you can use dair from the top of of the opponent's shield DI behind them so they can shield grab you. Use the turnips as pokes from where the hitbox would land

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
a short hop down air out of shield is a great option, especially if its a 3 turnip. you can also use down air to read get ups from ledges and when knocked down. turnips in general are a great option for continuing juggles and getting people off of you in a pinch, (although nair will also do the same). and turnips last so long, its practically a safe move, except on shield.

Quonus

Smash Rookie
I personally don't agree.
I was fighting a tournament sonic player to learn the MU, and Villager can ruin a lot of sonics approaches.
All you do is have tree behind you in that MU and have lloid on the ground, while shutting down any air approaches with FAir or BAir.
You can beat his spin dashes with down air as well, and you can beat most of his aerials, or at least trade hits with NAir.
And if you see the opportunity, and this is why I say keep tree behind you, short hop back and axe (make sure there is already a cut on the tree)
If sonic picks up on lloid habits, SH lloid down air or SH and as you're about to hit the ground, lloid, and block.

I took your advice, but i still cannot agree with sonics approaches being stopped by villager. I find myself losing to sonics that arent my level (amongst some other reflect-heavy characters and megaman) more often than i like and it all comes down to their approaches doing up to 30% damage and smashes also being silly safe if not badly spaced. The trade is also something i wouldnt agree with, i find myself often outprioritized in the air.

But instead of just disagreeing, cant you just upload or show me a video of some villager play against a good sonic?

zeezee

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-0319-8479
I would actually like to see how Mtn64 deals with sonic players as well, I'm having quite a bit of trouble dealing with the one on my smash scene and would love to see how others have approached the match-up with great success.

Even if all the footage you can get is like low phone quality off a camera on 3ds or something, good helpful footage is good and helpful regardless.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I would actually like to see how Mtn64 deals with sonic players as well, I'm having quite a bit of trouble dealing with the one on my smash scene and would love to see how others have approached the match-up with great success.

Even if all the footage you can get is like low phone quality off a camera on 3ds or something, good helpful footage is good and helpful regardless.
Nair has priority over most of Sonic's moves. It's tricky to fight Sonic, but it's all about stopping his momentum by stopping the flow of the match itself, whether with gyroid-stall (as in, when you're falling and you use gyroid to freeze your momentum) or nair to make HIM stop. SH Dair when he spin dashes at you also has the same effect.

Also, whenever the match starts, or when he's about to revive, jump off the ledge slightly and gyroid, so he can't attack you right away.

Last edited:

Kohak

Smash Apprentice

Sonic is definitely a difficult matchup for Villager. Something that I've been doing that surprisingly works more often than not is spamming jabs. It'll cancel some approaches and have more priority than others. If Sonic decides to jump and approach from above using side/down b it gives you enough time to shield or counter.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
If he starts his homing attack, literally just jump up and nair. Best way to kill Sonic is slingshots because even the blue blur suffers from tiny fast projectiles.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Well-timed dash attacks could yield good rewards as well. Emphasis on the well-timed part, but it covers a deceptively large amount of space, so it could surprise some sonics.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Well-timed dash attacks could yield good rewards as well. Emphasis on the well-timed part, but it covers a deceptively large amount of space, so it could surprise some sonics.
Sonic is really hard to keep off of you as well, which seems to be one of Villager's weaknesses.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
If we learn to read Sonic's movement, getting a good dtilt or dash attack shouldn't be too hard. Possibly even a dsmash with the usmash follow-up. Basically, don't let Sonic feel comfortable just running around the whole place. Then he'll get even more predictable when he tries to go for something dumb like homing attack or dair. If it wasn't obvious enough, timber counter would be the optimal custom to use if they're legal.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i dont think customs are legal in for glory, but tournament worthy, i love timber counter

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
i dont think customs are legal in for glory, but tournament worthy, i love timber counter
I finally unlocked it and I'm impressed. I heard a lot of talk before but I never had any experience with it until recently.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Haha I just finished unlocking ALL the custom moves today. Let me tell ya, that is not an easy feat. @.@

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure how helpful it is, but the latest video I posted had a game against a sonic in game two of grand finals. It might be able to help you guys out.

Game two is around 56:00 I believe.
Damn that's some good villager action. She's a nair machine!

trevskeet

Smash Cadet
NNID
trevskeet
Hey folks, first post on the Villager board but longtime lurker--picked up the game Wednesday and have been exploring with the little guy non-stop. I wanted to share a finisher I love to unleash on the unsuspecting:

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Hey folks, first post on the Villager board but longtime lurker--picked up the game Wednesday and have been exploring with the little guy non-stop. I wanted to share a finisher I love to unleash on the unsuspecting:

nice tree!!

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Villager vs Greninja (pretty solid too)

Nice commentating!

Do you have a youtube channel you upload these to?

And actually, the match WAS pretty nice, tho I feel the Villager coulda done a lot of things to finish it XP

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Can anyone critique my villager :O? I'm LordCatGod btw. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRleSBaQqNc
at low percents, down smash doesnt link into up smash. since they escape so quickly its better to do an up air or a nair.
nice pocketing the pk thunder ;)
it looks like recovering high isnt too safe. maybe you can travel under the stage to the other edge?

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
at low percents, down smash doesnt link into up smash. since they escape so quickly its better to do an up air or a nair.
nice pocketing the pk thunder ;)
it looks like recovering high isnt too safe. maybe you can travel under the stage to the other edge?
Yessssss, I got so frustrated when awestin kept getting me offstage and I couldn't do antything about it but try to recover better so I'm like "Screw it, I'm getting back onstage even if I get hit." So I recovered super high forgetting that I was at kill percent for ness's uair. Dsmash I think is really useful for punishing or if u read an attack then you can easily just charge usmash or fsmash (personally I like usmash). I totally forgot abut traveling under the stage. I'll try that next time

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i really like up smash for reading ledge rolls. and i have a really hard time landing down smash so i never use it.
i also noticed a few stray f smashes. while powerful, they can catch a roll but i find it too slow to use OoS or just randomly, but its a great edge guard tool.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
i really like up smash for reading ledge rolls. and i have a really hard time landing down smash so i never use it.
i also noticed a few stray f smashes. while powerful, they can catch a roll but i find it too slow to use OoS or just randomly, but its a great edge guard tool.
Dashing back, then cancelling your initial dash into a dash back (kinda like dash dancing) and f-smash usually works pretty well~

Last edited:

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
I usually use up smash when someone thinks they can SH or FH a lot like ness, kirby, jiggs. It really helps keep them out of your face when they think they can approach from above. Usmash really limits their options and smash comes out so quickly and it links into a semi-charged usmash/fsmash. I heard that dsmash can actually get pasts shields, I don't know if it's true but I might find out soon. I usually get people when I use fsmash a second time because it comes out so quickly. Tbh I'd do a lloid when they're on the edge and then do any smash depending if you can read them if they jump, Usmash, they roll fsmash, if you're not sure, dsmash wouldn't really hurt. I feel like everyone underrates dsmash

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
yeah up smash is a great anti air. but most of the time i just use the growing tree to anti air someone. (if im near my sapling) i think ive blocked a dsmash before.

i wouldnt mind dsmash if it was only a single hit move.(kinda like a zss dsmash) it seems so awkward digging behind you after teh initial swing. since i end up wiffing the first swing anyway, it puts me in too much endlag to use it often enough to be effective.
but if i do hit it, based on percent, ill usually f smash, up smash, up air or dair.

one time i actually landed d smash and it happened to be right next to my sapling, and since they were grounded, the pushback from the water wouldnt push them anywhere, so i got a free tree growth ko out of downsmash. i saved teh replay and should have it uploaded soon.

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Omg I love that! Tree growth knockback is soooo amazing of a kill move people don't even see it coming. Also I don't know if everyone knows this or not but playing on smashville supports villager soooo much because of the platform. I can't tell you enough how many kills I've gotten using the moving platform plus bowling ball. Also just found out you can half water the sapling and get an instant tree growth when u water it a second time. I find that a lot of villagers really don't use the tree that much I guess because they think it takes too long to grow or something I dunno, but honestly I think a tree should always be in play no matter what because it creates space between you and your opponent because your opponent is too scarred to get near it, either they FH over the tree which is a free punish with a usmash or they know you're gonna use usmash and they airdodge, even better,punish with a dsmash and chop the tree down on them or just usmash/fsmash. (Never tried dsmash>Tree chop, but sounds like a cool combo I just thought of). Also dtilt seems to be pretty underused, but I rarely use it cause it just feels weird tapping the control stick down and pressing A I don't know why that is but I'm just so used to lloid first all the time either bait them to make a move then punish or either OoS fair/bair. It's just natural for me to do one of those options. But again take into consideration platform use and bowling ball. People will think twice about trying to get under villager when he on the edge of a platform :3

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Omg I love that! Tree growth knockback is soooo amazing of a kill move people don't even see it coming. Also I don't know if everyone knows this or not but playing on smashville supports villager soooo much because of the platform. I can't tell you enough how many kills I've gotten using the moving platform plus bowling ball. Also just found out you can half water the sapling and get an instant tree growth when u water it a second time. I find that a lot of villagers really don't use the tree that much I guess because they think it takes too long to grow or something I dunno, but honestly I think a tree should always be in play no matter what because it creates space between you and your opponent because your opponent is too scarred to get near it, either they FH over the tree which is a free punish with a usmash or they know you're gonna use usmash and they airdodge, even better,punish with a dsmash and chop the tree down on them or just usmash/fsmash. (Never tried dsmash>Tree chop, but sounds like a cool combo I just thought of). Also dtilt seems to be pretty underused, but I rarely use it cause it just feels weird tapping the control stick down and pressing A I don't know why that is but I'm just so used to lloid first all the time either bait them to make a move then punish or either OoS fair/bair. It's just natural for me to do one of those options. But again take into consideration platform use and bowling ball. People will think twice about trying to get under villager when he on the edge of a platform :3
Sometimes I fully plant the tree when my opponent is far away, just to see how he will react. Most of them just stand there and wait.

They are scared.

They don't want to die.

But they will.

They will.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
yeah, i saw you using that platform w/ bowling ball.
and i use the tree all the time. its my main ko move since the only other ones i get are sweet spotted fairs at high percents, maybe a 3 turnip dair or upair, or a bowling ball drop off the edge of the stage, or an anti air upsmash at high percents. whenever i get the chance, i plant a sapling and come back to it later. usually luring my opponent to it and baiting either a dash attack, or an aerial assault,

the dsmash to tree combo was more situational, i originally planned to do a dair or fsmash follow up, but since it was right next to my sapling, i just watered away. (i didnt chop the tree i watered it)
i used to use dtilt cuz it had so much range and ko power, but since the patches, i feel like its range got nerfed. at low percents i can usually dtilt to free forward air, and depending on the character, i can keep fairing all the way across the stage.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
My main method of killing with Villager is either fair or bair at 100%+, or dair to upair (after they bounce up) at like 80%

Though Villager can just string together 4-5 slingshots and kill anyone with eh recovery, such as Ganon and Ike.....wish I could make a montage...but sadly, no capture card ;~:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
My main method of killing with Villager is either fair or bair at 100%+, or dair to upair (after they bounce up) at like 80%

Though Villager can just string together 4-5 slingshots and kill anyone with eh recovery, such as Ganon and Ike.....wish I could make a montage...but sadly, no capture card ;~:
i do a lot of those things too, maybe i can string together a few clips of them in action.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It's actually kinda surprising how often 3 turnips from uair will appear after 3 turnips from dair.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but it's so easy to get a KO off of that.

Also doitdoitdoit!

Last edited:
Top Bottom