• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villager Video Thread

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Pocketing that Lloid Rocket, tho.

Am I the only Villager who doesn't mind reflectors? I'm more worried about my edge guarding options being reflected than my on-stage options.
I mean against a Falco, you literally only have turnips.

He can reflect flower pot, tree, lloid, slingshot AND bowling ball.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
if people start spamming reflectors, i opt out of using projectiles and just approach with dairs, and nairs. even if they reflect my lloid i can jump over and punish with a dair, or pocket it for later use. i sometimes see people counter pick palutena but that just changes my approaches, not my game play.

Hong

The Strongest
I play against a Falco player extensively. Using Lloid Rocket is still highly advantageous as long as you have adequate distance. You can still chase it from above.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I play against a Falco player extensively. Using Lloid Rocket is still highly advantageous as long as you have adequate distance. You can still chase it from above.
whats really hilarious sometimes, is if you launch a gyroid from above and chase it below, your opponent will most likely jump and reflect the gyroid. a huge mistake on thier part. you can punish with an upsmash, up tilt, up air, nair. or dair.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Honestly, Villager is just too good.

His only downfall is reflectors, like Falco's downB, since most of his attacks are projectiles.
and really its just the reflectors that are quick and cover a lot of range so that pretty falco's and palutena
oh yeah and the rather predictable recovery that is balloon trip other and the lack of mid-range. other than that villager is too stronk

Last edited:

HeadofHudet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5259-5066-0804
Firing a lloyd rocket and then start running towards your opponent already puts a lot of pressure on them. If they grab or attack you they will most likely be hit by the rocket, so they'll most likely shield or roll behind you, or jump, which can easily be reacted on and exploited. Reflecting moves can be baited out if you're aware of them. If it's a falco, I'll shield is shine and punish with grab. If palutena's mirror pushes me backwards I'll jump in with a dair. Reflectors aren't really that matchup deciding at all. SH fair/bair fast fall will make the reflected slingshot hit above your head, too, so you don't really lose anything on doing your projectile aerials either. If that's another thing that can bait out a reflector, it's even a good thing.
And btw. I love tricking people into trying to reflect the tree from timber. Pocket the reflected tree and you have a 0-death move in your hand that can be used anywhere on the stage. Be careful though, because some reflectors throw the tree back with a lot of extra speed, so I'd advice you to have backwards momemtum as you do the second cut on the tree.

edit: its* shine

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
And btw. I love tricking people into trying to reflect the tree from timber. Pocket the reflected tree and you have a 0-death move in your hand that can be used anywhere on the stage. Be careful though, because some reflectors throw the tree back with a lot of extra speed, so I'd advice you to have backwards momemtum as you do the second cut on the tree.
Oh man i remember when i did this to a palutena player :D

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I prefer to fight people without reflectors. But I DO love baiting out their reflector with lloid, then jumping above them and dairing.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Say I have a super cool replay I wanna show you guys(I don't, but I hope I will one day). How would I go about making it available on this thread?

HeadofHudet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5259-5066-0804
Say I have a super cool replay I wanna show you guys(I don't, but I hope I will one day). How would I go about making it available on this thread?
Not sure if I got the question right, because if I did the answer would be to link your replay if it's already uploaded, right? Other than that you'll just have to get decent recording devices or just record with somebody who has. Or have streamed tournament sets, obviously.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Alright so how do I get the replay on YouTube?

vyQ

Smash Cadet
Hello guys my name is vyQ and I was one of the best players in europe in brawl. I main Villager in Smash 4!
This time I wanna share a set between me and my brother. Id say this is pretty high level and an interesting set!

Villager vs Shiek:

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
In one of these videos the commentator mentioned he had heard a rumor regarding Villager's Uair and Dair. He said that if you smash Uair or Dair it makes a difference with knock back and spike potential. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
In one of these videos the commentator mentioned he had heard a rumor regarding Villager's Uair and Dair. He said that if you smash Uair or Dair it makes a difference with knock back and spike potential. Does anyone know if this is true or not?
What does smash uair or dair mean?

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
What does smash uair or dair mean?
Like performing a smash attack in the air.

Like with robin if you smash aerials, you use the levin sword, or with samus, if you smash side b, you get the super missile.

Maybe with villager, smashing upair or dair has a better chance at getting the 3 turnip.

Smash inputs are more prevailent in this game then the last 3.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Like performing a smash attack in the air.

Like with robin if you smash aerials, you use the levin sword, or with samus, if you smash side b, you get the super missile.

Maybe with villager, smashing upair or dair has a better chance at getting the 3 turnip.

Smash inputs are more prevailent in this game then the last 3.
Can I just use the c-stick or do I gotta do direction + attack?

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Iirc, smashing aerials doesn't really effect villager's turnip count or spike chance. If it did, then why would you ever not use the c-stick?

HeadofHudet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5259-5066-0804
As for the turnip RNG, I hope it changes to the way it was with G&W's Judgement in earlier games. Like that if you got 9 once in brawl, you wouldn't get the 9 again for another 2 Judgements, so the chance for getting 9 was usually 1 in 7. If they do this to Villager's uair and dair, just that it's 1 time instead of 2, it'd improve villager's playstyle a lot. Cuz it'd make the 3turnip 50 % chance instead of 33 % after you grind the 1turnip somewhere offstage or anywhere safe or w/e. Much better to have 50/50 on 2turnip and 3turnip when you're actually trying to edgeguard your opponent than 30/30/30 on all three. It'd be a strategy to make Villager less based on RNG and a lot more lethal.

Kohak

Smash Apprentice
This most likely isn't true. Sakurai said himself that the turnips are completely random.

vyQ

Smash Cadet
yea.. turnips are completeley random.. I also had 3 Turnips like 5 times in a row.. the same goes for 1 turnip..
Sadly this is just superrandom :/

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Which is fine.
I'd be more fine if they were all just all 3 turnips, but then it'd be too good.

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
Hello guys my name is vyQ and I was one of the best players in europe in brawl. I main Villager in Smash 4!
This time I wanna share a set between me and my brother. Id say this is pretty high level and an interesting set!

Villager vs Shiek:
This was a phenomenal set! The second game was SO intense! I loved it! Great play from both but you have a fine Villager there sir. Incredibly mobile and aggressive. I learned a lot from this video. Many trcks I do that I saw as well as some new one I plan to implement. I'm glad I saw how viable Villager CAN be on a flat stage, as platform stages are our sanctum. Here's the first replay I recorded with a Shiek player as well, my friend Wolf. VERY close game like the second one you guys had with a pretty cool first death for us both. Enjoy! :4villager:

Last edited:

Kohak

Smash Apprentice

A pretty hype villager ditto. I'm the boy

Edit: plz excuse junk quality and dumb Orange blur

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
finally got around to recording some of my replays with villager. and uploading them to youtube.
so here they are.

here is a for glory match replay i saved.

and a friendlies with one of my friendly friends.

and more villager goodness, with my friend.

still more villager :D with my friend.

CodyOdyO

Smash Cadet
Won another tournament with my pink-haired wonder. Another very impressive showing during grand finals (this time there was a prize pot, so that was nice).

Grand finals start at 52:00

https://youtube.com/watch?v=m4mvo5NvynI&list=PLFzZukweY0pSsG2NM5aPxgmmfCYMjPQTj

Lemme know whatcha think boys.

Edit: some commentary may be considered explicit. Just a heads up. Mostly just humorous banter.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Won another tournament with my pink-haired wonder. Another very impressive showing during grand finals (this time there was a prize pot, so that was nice).

Edit: some commentary may be considered explicit. Just a heads up. Mostly just humorous banter.
Dude, you are GOOD XD

I love how I'm NOT the only Villager who doesn't use the tree very often (except Edgeguards)

Congrats on winnin, though you seem to come down on your opponents' shields with a dair a lot, and they block it. Maybe try stalling your fall with Lloid to bait them out of it? If you hit them with..I believe the 2-turnips, they will fly into the launched lloid.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I usually use the tree to punish. Rolls, dash attacks and aerial approaches. Other than that, edgrguards it is.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051

Cody you scare me seriously some of the things you did in grand finals were just glorious throw a missile and use the explosion as a distraction for double nair was just delicious

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Cody you scare me seriously some of the things you did in grand finals were just glorious throw a missile and use the explosion as a distraction for double nair was just delicious
I fr srs wanna play him.

Cody I wanna play u

fr srs.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I guess it's also good to have in the middle of the stage when you can, for pressure.
it is my duty to always have a sapling on stage. kinda like snake in brawl, you always need a d smash, or c4 somewhere.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I'm trying to work on my ground game with villager. No pun intended.
like when ever your opponent is in hitstun and you cant follow up: just plant a sapling
when your opponent is off stage and you dont feel like edge guarding, plant a sapling,
sometimes out of nowhere, you can plant a sapling, even if you get hit, the sapling will still be there.

my usual set up is launch a gyroid and plant a sapling.

CodyOdyO

Smash Cadet
I fr srs wanna play him.

Cody I wanna play u

fr srs.
Unless you're in the Midwest we'll have to settle for wifi, and I may have lag johns.

But thanks for the support guys, I'm trying really hard to develop Villager's game as best as possible. :]

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
@ CodyOdyO CodyOdyO - Wifi it is, but at the very least I can say I have good internet.

XD

@ extremechiton extremechiton - Right? I usually start every game with gyroid into sapling or gyroid into dash forward and fair.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
ive got some more for glory matches coming.

just as a disclaimer, these videos are with lag, so my full potential of villager is not fully displayed.

Top Bottom