• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Viewtiful Joe

Stryks

Smash Hero
I KINDA like VJ, but not enough for him to be in brawl, I laugh at the guy that said he had a high chance, if ANYONE is gonna represent capcom in brawl, its the original bluebomber Megaman!...

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
To this day, I still don't understand of why you guys prefer the Blue Bomber Hanes Underwear sportin Megaman. It's all about X!

fluffy

Smash Champion
viewtiful joe is not going into brawl and ill bet with anyone that disagrees with me.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Just because hes cool hes gonna be awesome in brawl? Mewtwo was pwnage when I knew he was in melee, and u know how that turned out, im pretty sure they'll fix him, but still gotta say no to Joe, Megaman FTW!...

fleapy

Smash Journeyman
I would persoaly prefer to see meaman to, but why not both. The two posses little, if any, similarities. Viewtiful joe would be pqnage.
I have oficial signed onto the viewtiful joe fan club.
Viewtiful Joe FTW!!!

Bobby Emerald

Smash Apprentice
As much as I like Veiwtiful Joe, ever since Capcom went back on their promise, I have been against him being in the Game. Not only because he isn't a Nintendo exclusive anymore, but because they betrayed us. Curse them all.
Quoted for truth...I don't like Veiwtiful Joe anyway.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
whoo. I'm glad I fuond this thread becuase I was abou to post my own new one. *brings thread back to life by bumping it*

Anyways, I think Joe would be an EXCELLENT edition to Brawl. He's not too serious of a character, he kind of has that humorous -beat-up-nintendo-characters- type of style. The only thing is, would he be cel-shaded and would it look wierd. besides that, I think Viewtiful Joe would be AWESOME for Brawl.

And can someone fill me in on how Capcom 'betrayed' Nintendo? Is it becuase Viewtiful Joe got onto PS2 along with Resident Evil 4? Frickin' Sony.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Ermmm....I don't think so.
Don't get me wrong I still got's my VJ2 and everything but I think not.
If they put Joe in that would vie out for one of the third party spots.
Which Sakurai said would only amont to one or two,excluding snake.
I personally think there are better choices of third party charachters than Vewtiful Joe.(If i don't to get to throw Sonic off the side of Mario Land i think i might cry.)
Oh and there's also the fact that the creator of Vewtiful Joe,Clover Studios is closing.
SO I think that if you want a fighting game with Joe in it you should just go pick up Red Hot Rumble.

Shiner

Smash Apprentice
Doood! that's an awesome idea! Mayb while they're at it, they can put thing1 and thing2 in the game also. Maybe even dr. suse! (lolz cant spel his name).

JK, I dont think its that bad, but I dont think that it will actulay hapen.

by the way does any1 know if people from nintendo actualy look at this stuf?

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
Viewtiful Joe would be prime third party character for the 4th Super Smash Bros. game, if there is one.

Whirlwind

Smash Rookie
whoo. I'm glad I fuond this thread becuase I was abou to post my own new one. *brings thread back to life by bumping it*

Anyways, I think Joe would be an EXCELLENT edition to Brawl. He's not too serious of a character, he kind of has that humorous -beat-up-nintendo-characters- type of style. The only thing is, would he be cel-shaded and would it look wierd. besides that, I think Viewtiful Joe would be AWESOME for Brawl.

And can someone fill me in on how Capcom 'betrayed' Nintendo? Is it becuase Viewtiful Joe got onto PS2 along with Resident Evil 4? Frickin' Sony.

I was all for him until he made the leap of no return to playstation. TOO many potential candidates for brawl blew it with that. As for him being cel shaded... Well, mr game and watch was originally not even in frickin' color, much less 3D, so i doubt that stops him.

As for sonic, as some have suggested, you must remember his roots! Sega Genesis, meaning he was directly competing with nintendo! Even now, all he does is steal the torch from the superior mario and friends. At least joe started as a nintendo purist.

But hey, if they can give solid snake (WHO STARTED OUT ON THE NES) a spot, joe is not that hard to imagine.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was all for him until he made the leap of no return to playstation. TOO many potential candidates for brawl blew it with that. As for him being cel shaded... Well, mr game and watch was originally not even in frickin' color, much less 3D, so i doubt that stops him.

As for sonic, as some have suggested, you must remember his roots! Sega Genesis, meaning he was directly competing with nintendo! Even now, all he does is steal the torch from the superior mario and friends. At least joe started as a nintendo purist.

But hey, if they can give solid snake (WHO STARTED OUT ON THE NES) a spot, joe is not that hard to imagine.
You misspelled MSX

Mindphazzer

Smash Apprentice
I think that Viewtiful Joe is perfect for brawl. I would love to see him appear though it's almost a low possibility. Viewtiful Joe has his three jumps set, his attacks, and a "Special Move". Most of his games are on Nintendo Gamecube (I think). Who knows, one day a new challenger might face you in brawl and it will turn out to be him. :p

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I have a friend who has a lot of favorite RPG games, and seems like a total RPG kind of guy, but his favorite game is Viewtiful Joe! Like, the exact opposite of RPG. :p

Anyway, out of all the 3rd party characters out there, he wasnt Viewtiful Joe in THE MOST!

He'd be cool.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Ah, silly me. I write this for a new thread before I searched for Joe, but I like it too much to just scrap it. And it's never too late for a refresher, right? Oh well, that's what I get for being a n00b.

---

I'm honestly surprised that no one's suggested Viewtiful Joe as a third-party entrant. I guess you're all just so dead-set on MegaMan...but that's why I'm here! Let's get it on!

"Viewtiful Joe is a video game developed by Capcom's Capcom Production Studio 4 design team "Team Viewtiful". The other games in the series, including the PS2 port of the first game, have been made by Clover Studio. Atsushi Inaba headed the development of all the Viewtiful Joe games (first at Capcom Production Studio 4, then at Clover Studio). The first game was developed exclusively for the Nintendo GameCube in 2003 and was part of the Capcom Five, but was later ported to the PlayStation 2 in 2004 after Nintendo made a deal with Capcom to make Resident Evil 4 a GameCube exclusive (although it was later released on PlayStation 2). The Japanese version of the PlayStation 2 release is titled Viewtiful Joe: A New Hope, a reference to the movie Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. Viewtiful Joe 2 was released for both the GameCube and PlayStation 2 in November 2004." (from Wikipedia)

As Wiki so kindly relates, Joe's qualified. Gamers recognize him as a Nintendo-centric character, as they should. His origin game and it's sequel were both GCN games. Red Hot Rumble was as well. Double Trouble marked Joe's first non-port foray into the portable scene, on the Nintendo DS. So he meets the technical qalifications, but what about the guy makes him brawl-worthy?

Well, everyone who's played the first gme loved it (slight exaggeration). Joe's the epitome of cool, living out his dreams while saving the day, tearing evil a new one, and getting the girl. Tying all this together is some of the sweetest side-scrolling gameplay this side of Metal Slug. The actual platformers he's starred in have an average 84 on Metacritc.com, which in laymen's terms means Viewtiful Joe games are awesome.

So with the briefing out of the way, on to the fun part:

"I'm Joe...View-ti-ful Joe!"

STR - 3/5
SPD - 3/5
WGHT- 2/5 (Higher jump, farther flight via knockback)
GRIP - 5/5 (The man clings to surfaces)

Melee (A) Attacks:

A - Left straight punch
AA - Left then right straights
AAA - Left then right straights followed by a spinning, backhand hit with his left fist

Side+A - Straight kick
Up+A - Standing uppercut
Down+A - Joe's slide attack

Running+A - A powerful thrust-punch. Joe's head bows earthward as he skids along during this.

Side Smash+A - Three-step series of zoomed-in punches: high, middle, low
Up Smash+A - Spiral Uppercut (a parody of Ryu's Shoryuken from Red Hot Rumble)
Down Smash+A - A shorter version of Joe's zoomed in ground smash. He hops about a foot in the air, then stomps down, generating a small pink shockwave

Neutral Air - Straight left punch
Forward Air - A dual-footed dropkick-esque strike
Back Air - A half-spin that leads into a right-fist backhand strike (turns Joe around, so when he lands he's facing backwards)
Up Air - Forward flip double kick
Down Air - Red Hot Kick (sends Joe diagonally down for a short distance. A hit with this causes Joe to flip backwards, regaining the distance he went while executing it)

Grab Hit - Quick hooks to the face.
Forward Throw - Joe grips the enemy by the collar and whips them (over his head in a vertical arc) forwards.
Back Throw - Tosses the enemy a few inches in the air behind Joe, then a forceful backwards kick knocks the enemy away.
Up Throw - With a "toh!" on his lips, Joe lightly knees the enemy into the air infront of him, then roundhouse kicks them (at a vertical angle) skywards.
Down Throw - Joe's actual grab from the game: Yamarashi. Joe grabs the foes shoulders, then swings them over his shoulder and rams them into the ground behind him.

Special (B) Attacks:

B - Windmill Kicks: Zoomed in kick, repeated twice. Defelcts (as in, knocks away from, but not back towards the source) material projectiles (Link's bombs, thrown items, Samus's missiles. Does not defelct energy attacks like PK Thunder)

Side+B - Voomerang: Joe throws his crest like a boomerang that arches upwards near the end of it's path. (Hold in B to unleash t3h headly "X Crest"!)

Down+B - Viewtiful Forever/Ukemi: Obscure moves, but a very interesting choice if I do say so myself. Use it just before you make contact with the ground after taking damage (don't recover in midair, or it won't work) to do a flashy recovery pose and negate all the damage that was dealt to Joe (that's Ukemi). In any other situation, it produces Viewtiful Forever, in which Joe strikes a heroic pose, damaging those around him with his sheer brilliance! Think a larger Reflector, only it doesn't reflect things.

Up+B - Corkscrew Jump: Joe spins skyward, wrapped in a blanket of pink power.

Super Smash/Brawl Attack: "Summon Six x Six Majin!" - Six Majin and Great Six Majin combine to form the ultimate giant robot, 'Six-Six Majin'! Joe's robot partner appears in the background and unleashes a Wave Laser across the field, hitting anyone (except Joe) on the ground.

Taunt: Joe strikes one of his many heroic poses, saying: "Henshin-a-Go-Go, Baby!"

Kirby: Kirby dons Joe's helmet (keep the eyes Kirby shaped, though).

That's it for now. I'll probably add to this first post in the future, but for now how does Joe look?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
The only thing is, would he be cel-shaded and it would look weird.
First of all, cel-shading rocks, and the entire game should use it.

Secondly, they don't have to cel-shade him. It wouldn't be that hard to make a normal textured Joe, I mean just look at the pic I posted.

Brawlmatt: Just by googling "Viewtiful Joe" and digging a few pages.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master

"I'm Joe...View-ti-ful Joe!"

STR - 3/5
SPD - 3/5
WGHT- 2/5 (Higher jump, farther flight via knockback)
GRIP - 5/5 (The man clings to surfaces)

Melee (A) Attacks:

A - Left straight punch
AA - Left then right straights
AAA - Left then right straights followed by a spinning, backhand hit with his left fist

Side+A - Straight kick
Up+A - Standing uppercut
Down+A - Joe's slide attack

Running+A - A powerful thrust-punch. Joe's head bows earthward as he skids along during this.

Side Smash+A - Three-step series of zoomed-in punches: high, middle, low
Up Smash+A - Spiral Uppercut (a parody of Ryu's Shoryuken from Red Hot Rumble)
Down Smash+A - A shorter version of Joe's zoomed in ground smash. He hops about a foot in the air, then stomps down, generating a small pink shockwave

Neutral Air - Straight left punch
Forward Air - A dual-footed dropkick-esque strike
Back Air - A half-spin that leads into a right-fist backhand strike (turns Joe around, so when he lands he's facing backwards)
Up Air - Forward flip double kick
Down Air - Red Hot Kick (sends Joe diagonally down for a short distance. A hit with this causes Joe to flip backwards, regaining the distance he went while executing it)

Grab Hit - Quick hooks to the face.
Forward Throw - Joe grips the enemy by the collar and whips them (over his head in a vertical arc) forwards.
Back Throw - Tosses the enemy a few inches in the air behind Joe, then a forceful backwards kick knocks the enemy away.
Up Throw - With a "toh!" on his lips, Joe lightly knees the enemy into the air infront of him, then roundhouse kicks them (at a vertical angle) skywards.
Down Throw - Joe's actual grab from the game: Yamarashi. Joe grabs the foes shoulders, then swings them over his shoulder and rams them into the ground behind him.

Special (B) Attacks:

B - Windmill Kicks: Zoomed in kick, repeated twice. Defelcts (as in, knocks away from, but not back towards the source) material projectiles (Link's bombs, thrown items, Samus's missiles. Does not defelct energy attacks like PK Thunder)

Side+B - Voomerang: Joe throws his crest like a boomerang that arches upwards near the end of it's path. (Hold in B to unleash t3h headly "X Crest"!)

Down+B - Viewtiful Forever/Ukemi: Obscure moves, but a very interesting choice if I do say so myself. Use it just before you make contact with the ground after taking damage (don't recover in midair, or it won't work) to do a flashy recovery pose and negate all the damage that was dealt to Joe (that's Ukemi). In any other situation, it produces Viewtiful Forever, in which Joe strikes a heroic pose, damaging those around him with his sheer brilliance! Think a larger Reflector, only it doesn't reflect things.

Up+B - Corkscrew Jump: Joe spins skyward, wrapped in a blanket of pink power.

Super Smash/Brawl Attack: "Summon Six x Six Majin!" - Six Majin and Great Six Majin combine to form the ultimate giant robot, 'Six-Six Majin'! Joe's robot partner appears in the background and unleashes a Wave Laser across the field, hitting anyone (except Joe) on the ground.

Taunt: Joe strikes one of his many heroic poses, saying: "Henshin-a-Go-Go, Baby!"

Kirby: Kirby dons Joe's helmet (keep the eyes Kirby shaped, though).
Ha ha, fixed...almost. Anyone have any ideas for Joe's winning phrase? Preferably something that references the game.

blahisuck

Smash Cadet
Viewtiful Joe FTW! They could have Snake (Konami), Sonic (Sega) and V.Joe (Capcom)!

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
If anyone is going to represent Capcom, it'll most likely be Mega Man.

...I'm just saying, that's the most likely...
I agree.

But Viewtiful Joe's a neater character. He's basically taylor made for this kind of a game too. ~awaits the nukage that is to come from the Megamaniacs~

iMichael

Smash Lord
I remember reading somewhere Sakurai saying that there will be 2-3 more 3rd party characters excluding Snake. So lets think about it V-Joe has had a few games on Gamecube even though he has his red hot rumble(which isnt bad) game its kind of like Smash Bros but with his own cast.

So what Im saying is

1. A moveset wouldnt be hard
2. 2-3 more 3rd party characters are still on their way
3. Who the hell doesn't like Viewtiful Joe?
4. His poses are kick a**
5. Sakurai will be surprising alot of us if this happens

Del Money

Smash Champion
freeeeely cast all your cares aside....actually i dont watch the show or play the games but i like that song...peace

Del Money

Dojo999

Smash Journeyman
I've been waitin for someone to point this out. Viewtiful Joe is PERFECT for brawl. If they put him in, him and fox would be my mains. For his final smash, he'll zoom-in, slow-down and do that crazy combo from the original game, Red Hot 100. Seriously if nintendo doesn't put him in im gonna be sooooo bummed.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If anyone from Capcom makes it into Brawl, it will of course be Megaman...

Joe's chances aren't even in the single digits...

You can argue that all you want, but Megaman not only overwhelms his chances...it consumes it completely...

BerDinosaur

Smash Cadet
We need some V-Joe attributes such as movesets, music, alternate costumes, winning poses, a stage ETC. Although he's third party, I still support Joe, and think he'd be a cool addition.

EDIT: Just noticed some of these were already listed. TC should compile everything on the first post for everyone to see. I doubt many of the members in Brawl Character Discussion would take this thread seriously without seeing these on the first page.

Dojo999

Smash Journeyman
THREAD BUMP>
Why? Because i think everyone should sit back and take a good look at joe and see, at the very least his potential for brawl. I mean hes got all the qualifications. He's been on a nintendo platform, hes from a considerably big developer in capcom, whos known to be friendly with the big N, and hes has a fair sized fan based. Plus Joe is the definition of brawler.

Im not saying theres really any people who dedicate their lives to this franchise, but there are alot of people who would be pleased to see him in the game, including me. And if u say he's not popular enough to make it into smash, i'd say ur right and that's exaclty why he should be there. Virtual unknowns like marth and roy made it in melee and people loved them. Joe would be the perfect unexpected character for sakurai to mindgame us with.
If i had to pick 3 third party characters it would be snake, sonic and viewtiful joe.

Please help keep this thread alive until sakurai is convinced to add him if he hasn;t already.

Viewtiful Joe
Speed: Fast
Strength: Moderate
Combo potential: Insane(Could be the new fox)
Taunt: "Henshin-A-GO-GO-BABY!"(His signiture catchphrase used when he transforms from his alter ego)
Up B: Air Joe- IN the game an air combo, but for brawl a recovery that somehow uses his ridiculously long scarf thing to propel him up in the air.

Side B: Voomerang-Launches the V on his head across stage, when charged expand into x to do twice the damage1

Normal B: Shocking Pink-Kicks a pink bomb towards enemy

Down B: Slide-Slides along ground and launches enemy into air, opening them up for combos.

Final Smash: Red Hot 100- Uses VFX powers from his game to slow everyone down, then speed up him self, giving him free shot and KO's on all enemies!

Stage: Movie land. Where the game takes place. Could be a cell-shaded level with a movie like feel, moving stage, car chases, explosions in the background. Cool stuff like that.

(Feel free to point out mistakes for names/effects of some attacks since i don't remember all of them)

myuu

Smash Rookie
he would fit soo perfect into the game.
And I would like to see him cellshaded!! I like characters like Mr. Game and Watch, Snake etc who have a complete different character design than the others. So IF Viewtiful Joe would be in the game I personally wish to see him in his **** awesome 2D/Cellshade style! yesss :)

SeanW

Smash Cadet
I'd love to see Joe in Brawl, although I know Megaman would probably be chosen over him. Still, even if they just made him an assist trophy I'd be content. That doesn't change the facts I would have some doubts on the blue bomber and favor the red hero. As small as the reason is, here's why I doubt Megaman's inclusion.

The one thing I thought about that would be in his favor though is the fact that he would be easier to make an icon for, Megaman really hasn't got something that could easily be used since his logo is his name and it may be hard to make a good looking symbol for his helmet (Unless I can be proved wrong). While for Joe, you could simply used the V from the logo and get the job done that way.

I can't really say that they can't do anything with his moves either since Marvel vs. Capcom decided to loophole this and gave him the Mega Ball, Leaf Shield and Tornado Hold in their games, but I digress.

In any case the movesets I've seen thought up for Joe look pretty good. I'd believe them.

Another thing I wanna mention, I know some people are being realists here, saying Joe's probably not getting in, but to say things like "don't kid yourself" or something like that ('specially from an Admin) a little disenheartening and makes you think your opinion and guesses is worth its weight in s**t.

I know I'm really digging to get to this thread, but what can I say, I wanted to hear if people think our red hero's got a chance and assuming this is the official topic for it, I don't think it's a problem.

Ralph_Marquee

Smash Journeyman
Hey what you guys think about Viewtiful Joe being in Brawl. He looks pretty cool to me and he has a few games (three if I'm not mistaken). Maybe he would be pretty fast and his special attack would be going in fast speed mode or however is called and do a 200+ hit combo. :lick:
Viewtiful Joe?

As the prostitute living down my street once told me.....H*LL NO!!!!!

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
VJ wouldnt work as a character. his ability to slow down time is too nesicary for him to attack. and useing it as a normal attack seems like it would interfear with gameplay. he just wouldnt work in my opinion.

SeanW

Smash Cadet
VJ wouldnt work as a character. his ability to slow down time is too nesicary for him to attack. and useing it as a normal attack seems like it would interfear with gameplay. he just wouldnt work in my opinion.
Nessecary*
Using*
Interfere*

(sorry I get OCD sometimes with spelling and grammar)

It's reasoning like that that would make me happy if he was at least a assist trophy.

Aside from that, if you looked at the posts other people made about possible move-sets he could have if he was in it, you'd notice that Joe has more abilities than just slowing down/speeding up time as well as zooming in.

Also whose to say that it's just Joe that slows down? You have Wario with his spotty running animations (kind of like how Game and Watch moved) and obscure animations (at times), why can't there be others.

Top Bottom