• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VIDEO UP Waveland/Reverse Moonwalk Advance Technique

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Well, that's a glitch for sure.

We were discovering so many no-glitched-techs

This made me sad :(

Edit: And also this makes MArth more broken ever...
You honestly think THIS makes Marth broken? No offense to the Topic Creator but there's a huge problem with this "Advanced Technique" and that is that it's mostly useless. It's not fast enough to be used for mindgames/combos and most skilled players will notice you DI'ing backwards and either be able to punish you(as you seem to turn around and leave yourself sort of open) or simply ignore you. The reason the wave dash was useful in Melee was because it was very quick to come out, too quick for an opponent to instantly react. That made it useful for mindgames/spacing. This seems VERY slow making it sort of useless. Now, if you could post video evidence of it actually being useful in battle(better if you play someone who has any idea what a video game is >_>) than maybe I'll accept this, but until then this joins the growing list of useless techniques.

Zek

Smash Ace
I'm sorry but this is nothing. All you're doing is running and stopping. The jump doesn't even do anything. Characters glide a little bit when they stop moving, depending on their traction. That's all it is.

Togaboy

Smash Apprentice
Can this "waveland" be used in combination with the reverse grab technique? I'm wondering if the momentum (from the step) applies and allows for that increased grab range mentioned in the post on the dojo.

Can anyone confirm?

Zek

Smash Ace
Can this "waveland" be used in combination with the reverse grab technique? I'm wondering if the momentum (from the step) applies and allows for that increased grab range mentioned in the post on the dojo.

Can anyone confirm?
Of course you can grab, all you're doing is standing on the floor. It won't be a pivot grab though because you didn't pivot. You just landed on the ground after a jump. There's no "technique" here.

UncleGrandfather

Smash Cadet
It's not that this is completely useless, but it's not fast enough to be used for very much. It seems very predictable and it happens so slowly. Compared to a wavedash that will move you faster than dashing, I don't think this technique will be practical to use in tournaments. If there is some way to speed it up using a fast fall then it will work better, but still seems inferior to using other methods of movement.

Nice video though, that Marth looks pretty slick doing the back airs.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
it doesnt make sense. and you always attack at the end of it. cant u attack in the middile of it? your simply DI'ing a certain way to have moment push you around, so its part of the physics engine and not an adv tech. also, from what i see, it has no real application in matches.and craqwalk sounds stupid lol

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Unless someone discovers how to jump only slightly off the ground and do this, (the same way air dodging canceled a jump basically,) it will become be a limited technique overall. To be fair in approach perhaps it has a slight bit of application, not owning the game obviously all theory, but plenty of people approach with aerials, this is the first counter to someone effectively countering aerial approach. eg:

Marth is approaching spamming Fair (surprise). Because of the new physics his opponent has developed the timing to rush in after a slightly too early Fair and punish the Marth as he lands. The Marth player learns to occasionally use this idea, SH but DI/slide back, so they actually are moving back from where he normally would have landed/been hit by his opponent, and in the lag of his opponents missed "punishing the approach" Marth attacks.

Anyway like I said all theory, and heavily reliant on refinement of this idea, clearly if your DIing backwards as early as the video usually is the opponent isn't mistaking it as an approach, also don't know if throwing a Fair in there or whatever, or even SHing for that matter, cuts down on the slide too much to be useful. Techniques are nothing without application, the rule should be set that until you have a technique and practical useful application for it your unable to make a thread about it. Anyway I suppose this is mess is to be expected, all the mostly useless techniques or incorrectly labeled glitches so far show that the physics engine isn't beyond manipulation, it just may be less frustrating to not come back to the boards for a few months minimum yet.

-True

Aerialist

Smash Cadet
First off craqwalk is the most gangster move name I've heard. Second, looks pretty freakin' useless.

Nuvia

Smash Ace
Naming a move after yourself = instant disapproval

I don't care how gangsta it is. Being gangsta is stupid anyway.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Cool I guess? It can have it's uses but I wouldn't say it's anything super special. It definetly won't be this game version of the wave dash, unless people can find a way to do it at much faster speeds.

Deva

Smash Lord
Watch from 1:14. He does a sh bair to a wavelanded f-smash. Itworks great against spamming characters. He would bair over my projectiles into that wavelanded f-smash, it's really unpredictable and the closest thing to a waveland that brawl has.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
You have a lot to learn when it comes to naming your techniques. You're going to be flamed, you don't name a technique after yourself.

It will be renamed almost immediately.
Names don't matter. Only technique matters. Shame on anyone flaming for any name discrepancy. So ****ing pathetic.

Micahc

Smash Ace
It's not really gonna be useful if we can't find a way to pull it off faster, though it could be useful to fake out an approach. On the subject of naming ATs, I really wanna find one now so I can name it the Charleston, or another one and call it the Lindy Hop.

kirborg

Smash Cadet
Names don't matter. Only technique matters. Shame on anyone flaming for any name discrepancy. So ****ing pathetic.
It's stupid. How can anyone take this community serious if every technique is named after some random user who just happens to stumble on something. Next thing you know whe have a whole list named after rep-seeking kids.

As for the technique itself, at first glance I can't say it looks to usefull. Feels like a situational technique.

Deva

Smash Lord
OMFG, the name was a joke. In all honesty I think he'll name it like a reverse moonwalk or something. Also, pretty sure this wasn't on the E for all. The only thing similar was the aerial cancel waveland and that's different. BTW, where on the second trailer?

You guys really need to watch from 1:14

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Yeah, I'm still REALLY surprised people take the name so seriously. The internets' sarcasm detector must've broke, I guess.

Anyways, I discovered a new use for this. I might do a video, but considering how ungrateful everyone has been, (since none of you have brawl and are just comparing this to melee advanced techniques), I'm seriously thinking about not sharing it. (thanks to those who have actually watched the full video, and commented with legitimate criticism.)

Marth can jump forward, fair, and waveland backwards using this technique into a perfect tipper'd fsmash spacing. (Just like in Melee how you could fair, and use the airdodge to waveland, but now you can just use the momentum of DI'ing backwards to waveland. Going forward doesn't work.)

So, basically, if you've never played Brawl, and you want to come in here and whine about how useless this is, just GTFO. In Brawl you have five options for movement. Run, Walk, Stand, Fox Trot, or Jump. Now every character can use DI in the air to control a slide on the ground AFTER doing an aerial (forward or backwards), so there's one more option.

I will post the video Deva talked about, I do have some recorded uses of it in an actual match. (not the fair into waveland, but the backair'ing over projectiles he mentioned)

Teben

Smash Apprentice
At first I was thinking "Would this really serve any kind of practical purpose?" But now I think I get the merit in understanding this little bit of brawl physics.

Imagine turning what looks like a momentary retreat into a counter attack on a pursuing opponent, using the slide to combo a pair of strikes that you otherwise you wouldn't have been able to. Am I right in seeing that potential?

It's certainly something to be aware of, and something to be cautious about when going against Marth or someone who can really benefit from that little circumstance.

Kapusta.KO

Smash Cadet
how stupid
congratulations you found a way to turn around slowly and slide
dumb and impractical

Teben

Smash Apprentice
how stupid
congratulations you found a way to turn around slowly and slide
dumb and impractical
I don't think you're getting what this could potentially set up.

Don't look at this like some all-purpose technique you'll be tossing out like SHFFLs and wavedashes in melee.

Instead, recognize this as, potentially, a chance to to link two attacks together if you manage to get into this position in a match. Imagine turning what looks like jumping away from someone into connecting with an air attack which is linked into a smash via the subsequent slide across the ground, a second attack that may not have reached your opponent simply attacking out of a landing like normal.

It's certainly impractical in the sense that you're not going to base a character's entire game around it, but it could be useful.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
You named this technique after yourself?!?!?

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!
gonna go wobble around town and oops, my ink dropped on the ground. i really enjoy hugging after sex.
vidjo drop really doesn't sound like anything, but oh well.

but anyways, hopefully you got the craqwalk joke.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Personally Crag I wouldn't of mind if you give it a more interesting name but hey after a few years the "Crag walk" wont sound so bad I bet.

Good discovery.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Yeah, you can do this after Marth's fair.
He can slide backwards about two, maybe three times his width.

Dash, jump forward, DI back, f-cstick, land, take one tiny step, glide away.

Works with every character.
Best ones so far (in usefulness):
1. Marth
2. Luigi
3. Zero Suit Samus
4. Link

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
I'm trying to pull up the video and it isn't working, but I think this is the same thing I was using at the tourney yesterday. And I thought I was the first one to find it. :(

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
I'm trying to pull up the video and it isn't working, but I think this is the same thing I was using at the tourney yesterday. And I thought I was the first one to find it. :(
How was the tourney btw.... CraqWalk doesn't sound so bad.

Top Bottom