• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VIDEO UP Waveland/Reverse Moonwalk Advance Technique

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
craqwalks fakes could theoretically be effective. like dashing at the opponent then c-walking. your opponent lets go of shield and then you could possibly do a side B with a character like Ike.

Dunno, the technique is weird but will more than likely have some cool uses.

Rakath

Smash Ace
I call it a Hawking Walk /Futurama

Anyway, due to how fluid the motion is, I say Skating is the best way to describe how this one moves... however Reverse Moonwalk is pretty good fer now. But a nice find none the less.

iron blade

Smash Ace
I like it too. Especially when you did it with Marth. You could run and jump, Bair someone on the platform, slide back under it and Usmash.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Most definetly. It add's something new again to your approach and can be used to fake out and space obviously. Because the ground movement is different this time around and dashdancing isn't as fluid as you want it too be it allows for alot of mobility so I'm interested how we can apply this.

Coselm

Smash Ace
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VmxHhy6JJJE (works with more than just Luigi, it works with every character, just watch the whole thing)

This is done simply by using the momentum of running, jumping forward and DIing back, and if you use one extra step as soon as you land, you get the full amount of what I call the CraqWalk. This has about the same amount of distance as a wavedash in Melee, and is a bit slower, but easy to do, and anything can be performed out of it.

The wave land was discovered by Deva (godly Link player) using Marth, starting with a dash, jump forward, backair, and DI forward, allowing Marth to slide forward. It's in the video.

Will post the video soon, I will make an edit to this post when I do.
Congratulations on discovering how to walk and jump.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
The most I got out of it was that Marth could crack walk into a B-Air and slide towards the enemy that he hit. The B-air gives him the sort of momentum he always had, jsut now he's reverse jumping into it.

Luigi, I ponder, you could try U-Air or crack walk and tornado up again, mindgame style, makinga sort of wavelength shape. (Like a wave in physics).

Really, unless you prove me wrong I don't see much else. Hyphen Smashing is more useful in the fact that you keep sliding, which would work a loot better for Luigi's smashes. This walk makes you stop due to the momentum of the smash, so you have to have the enemy right there.

If the enemy is behind you then, and you jump forward preparing for a crack walk, the enemy will jump after you or jump up. Then your forced to defend youself or follow with a double jump and B-Air/N-Air him.

Call me silly, but I odn't see much practical use out of this outside of Marth and Fox, and some others with amazing B-Airs that need to mindgame it to hit.
I've actually used it against projectile spammers and been able to land tippered fsmashes that otherwise would have been impossible. I have videos, but honestly, they won't be up until tomorrow evening. I'll let other people tinker with it before they start ripping off my ideas.

joepinion

Smash Apprentice
I must say, this is all very silly. 1,000,000s of techniques are "discovered," many are still uncovered in Melee as well. There is practically an infinite amount of semi-cool things you might be able to do.

If you want to "invent" a technique, find it, hone it, take it to a tournament and kick some a** with it. Those are the only techniques we will remember in the log run.

Widespread techniques are popular because they help you win, and none of these have proved that yet. Including the technique of jumping, turning around and sliding on the ground.

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
SH Bair Waveland into SHFFL Uair to Fsmash
Short hop Back-air Waveland into Short-hop-fast-fall-l-canceled Up-air to forward smash

^^ From Melee.

Are you telling me that's not descriptive?

How about we make it Muesli flip Pirkidair Superhitzel drop into Eaoded U2k to FS
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
You're actually right. I grossly exaggerated the vagueness of Melee's name descriptions, and I understand why a bunch of stuff named after random people could lead to head scratching. I still think craqwalk sounds tight though.

However, SO DOES SKATING.

^ Props to the person who said skating that sounds good. When I hear moonwalk I think of the Melee technique which doesn't seem very similar to this at al.

pirkid

Smash Lord
I've actually used it against projectile spammers and been able to land tippered fsmashes that otherwise would have been impossible. I have videos, but honestly, they won't be up until tomorrow evening. I'll let other people tinker with it before they start ripping off my ideas.

I'm waiting for these 'vids' then.
Show me that this technique isn't another "OMG GUYS U CAN DUBLE JUMP" techs.

EDIT:
SH Bair Waveland into SHFFL Uair to Fsmash
Short hop Back-air Waveland into Short-hop-fast-fall-l-canceled Up-air to forward smash

^^ From Melee.

Are you telling me that's not descriptive?

How about we make it Muesli flip Pirkidair Superhitzel drop into Eaoded U2k to FS
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
You ****ing win.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
I'm waiting for these 'vids' then.
Show me that this technique isn't another "OMG GUYS U CAN DUBLE JUMP" techs.
well, it's hard to really create a video to convince you of anything at this point, since it was just discovered at like 5am and i haven't been to sleep yet.
i just wanted to throw it out there, see where it landed.
i'll have the videos up tonight, like i said.

TempestFunk

Smash Cadet
Umm... It looks to me like its the same effect as running and sliding.
ok, you did say your dodged a projectile and used it to attack... so basically you just jumped, landed and ran for one step, and slid and smashed.

advanced tecs in melee (at least from what I know) appear to be exploitations of the game physics.

This... is just dumb, are we gonna start giving names to shielding and rolling now? cause if we are I want dibs on that name!

Lant

Smash Journeyman
Right, I asked some people who've never played melee/64 in thier lives to watch that video, and I came up with some good new names for it:

'Polarity'
"Mario's like .. anti magneting away from Sonic, crazy polarity? Wait. Why's Sonic 'n Mario there"

'Spasm'
"Why is Mario tooting and spazzing about like a ******.. is he gonna do this for 2 minutes?"

'Slide' - Me
"He's sliding"

/Sarcasm.

I can see limited use for something like that, it'd be nice if you could show a video of the utilities it provides in combat, I can really see it becoming something that certain people use to try and look cool.

Just like almost every 'pro' did with melee, they'd be dashdancing and shortspamming around, and then wonder why my Knee just collided with thier face and KO'd them. Kinda makes me sad how everybody copies one another and there's no variance in playstyles.

I sort of went off on a tangent there, but oh well. I think people need to stop trying to replicate a melee esque playstyle in a game that isn't melee.

Coselm

Smash Ace
All it is is jumping in one direction, and DIing the other mid jump. The sliding is just an effect of the new physics engine. A nice observation, but not really an advanced technique.

ChrisG683

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChrisG683
Overall that exploit of the physics seems too slow to be useful imo.

Secondly, am I the only one who saw this?

The wave land was discovered by Deva (godly Link player) using Marth, starting with a dash, jump forward, backair, and DI forward, allowing Marth to slide forward. It's in the video.
So why don't we let this Deva person name it instead of you?

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Someone mentioned earlier how this is just a good bait trick, well, it is, but it can also slingshot you.
It's great for spacing and mindgaming. Just figure it out your self if it's worth anything.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Overall that exploit of the physics seems too slow to be useful imo.

Secondly, am I the only one who saw this?

So why don't we let this Deva person name it instead of you?
That was a different technique in the video, Marth's bair being used to give sliding momentum. I dunno if he wants to name that, but we both thought it'd be hilarious if my thing was called the CraqWalk. My thing is just jumping forward and sliding backwards, nothing more.
So far I've been humored by everyone's reaction so far. I hope they keep on writing.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Here's how we save this topic:

Pick Skating or Sliding as the name for it, either one, they both work here. The only reason Skating is a bit more useful is that sliding is a more basic game mechanic (in fact, the exact game mechanic that is causing this "AdvTech" to exist, just a bit more controlled than usual.) Then, since its a really simple AdvTech, figure out how useful it is, then go from there.

OP, finding this and making videos is good. However, naming it after yourself is like saying "I discovered that megnets stick to metal, by some pull of some sort, so I will call this pull Smithnitism, and that Magnets have Smithnetic pull!" You didn't use this 'advanced tech' to win anythingg, or to cause a tourney scene uproar, it's arrogant to think that a rather basic physics use should be named for yourself...

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Admit it you wanted it to be named after you. And now that people are flaming you for it you say "i did it for the lulz".

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
"I did it for the lulz" is not an uncommon motivation. Ever heard of a troll?

ya rly

Looks to me like something most people will just skip over and never use because they're more interested in hyphen-smashing.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
I'm sorry...

This is not an advanced technique. This is just... sliding with momentum. This is no more an advanced technique than falling is. It's just the physics of the game. It's not abusing the physics, it's not glitching, and it's not entirely fast enough to really use.

A technique, sure. Advanced technique? I think not.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
Galt recommends the name landsliding, since this actually has nothing to do with moonwalking or wavelanding.

Also, big lawlz @ the people who believe techniques like this will be useful. It's slow, and really obvious to anyone who knows about it that you're going to do it, because you have to DI your jump away. If I were fighting you, I'd just chase you with a dash-attack to catch you when you land and have to take that step away.

pirkid

Smash Lord
New Technique: Skating

I vote for that.

And it's not advanced unless you screwing with the physics, not just playing around with it.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Galt recommends the name landsliding, since this actually has nothing to do with moonwalking or wavelanding.

Also, big lawlz @ the people who believe techniques like this will be useful. It's slow, and really obvious to anyone who knows about it that you're going to do it, because you have to DI your jump away. If I were fighting you, I'd just chase you with a dash-attack to catch you when you land and have to take that step away.
except dash attack wouldn't work. shield, attack, air dodge, spot dodge, ANYTHING would work. in fact, the best strategy would be to just let you come at me so I can punish. You could still overshoot the dash attack if you wanted, but there's no guarantee a person would have to slide, since you control the slide when you land. Just barely starting the walking animation is what determines the distance the slide travels.

It's not a hard technique to do, in fact it's really, really obvious. But in reality it's only about one button less than a wavedash, and it might be possible to actually use the momentum to air dodge onto the ground. I only say it's advanced because it obviously wasn't intended to be used in the game and requires careful timing to get the proper slide.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
So does this give you extra speed for you dash as well. I know there are a few occasions where I was sh'ing dashed away and was able to dash back really fast into an airial for example. It was like it gave me a boost but I'm not sure exactly how it worked.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
So does this give you extra speed for you dash as well. I know there are a few occasions where I was sh'ing dashed away and was able to dash back really fast into an airial for example. It was like it gave me a boost but I'm not sure exactly how it worked.
Yeah, it gives you a boost on landing. Though, running will cancel the slide, so sliding into an immediate shield canceled grab would work, if you started the dash animation right as the slide ended

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Honest question: I'm having trouble grasping the utility of this. It seems you can do any move out of the slide (smashes, tilts, whatever), but you can also do any of those things out of a simple walk. How is this different than jumping, landing and, instead of sliding, just walking a few feet in that direction? Just not grasping it yet, please help me understand.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Honest question: I'm having trouble grasping the utility of this. It seems you can do any move out of the slide (smashes, tilts, whatever), but you can also do any of those things out of a simple walk. How is this different than jumping, landing and, instead of sliding, just walking a few feet in that direction? Just not grasping it yet, please help me understand.
standing still and waiting for your opponent to attack doesn't work

but with this you could jump at them, slide back, wait for the attack, spot dodge, then counter attack
as marth it doubles as a spacing mechanism

Pi

Smash Hero
I just thought that the fact that nearly all melee advance techs were not named after their discoverers.

This technique can be used, I'm positive about that. It is an advanced tech as much so as wavelading was in melee.

It's a decent discovery, but I'm against the name... (not demeaning the discovery, just voicing my opinion on the name)

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I just thought that the fact that nearly all melee advance techs were not named after their discoverers.

This technique can be used, I'm positive about that. It is an advanced tech as much so as wavelading was in melee.

It's a decent discovery, but I'm against the name... (not demeaning the discovery, just voicing my opinion on the name)
What he names it now isn't gonna matter in the long run, s don't worry about it.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
standing still and waiting for your opponent to attack doesn't work

but with this you could jump at them, slide back, wait for the attack, spot dodge, then counter attack
as marth it doubles as a spacing mechanism
And jumping forward, landing and walking back would not produce a similar effect? Bear with me, there are obviously things about the Brawl physics engine that I can't grasp without playing.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
And jumping forward, landing and walking back would not produce a similar effect? Bear with me, there are obviously things about the Brawl physics engine that I can't grasp without playing.
the slide is faster, and can be attacked out of.
really the best example of use for this is the part in my video where young link up b's off the edge with it and the entire part with marth (when i actually did the slide right)

Top Bottom