• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video proof Slipping/tripping is stupidest thing in the history of Smash

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
Lol tripping is stupid but not such a big deal to get mad about it It doesn't really bother me at all...

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
Lol tripping is stupid but not such a big deal to get mad about it It doesn't really bother me at all...
Indeed. Tripping won't really change the outcome of matches very often so it doesn't bother me. If luck and my skill combined allow me to fall into the hands of my enemy so be it.

fireb0rn

Smash Apprentice
it's a stupid mechanic and should be patched out of the game. someone earlier mentioned action replay... we should look into that, though i'm not sure if it would even be possible

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
So it turns out competitive players should invest time into learning how to tech out of tripping and become used to it.

I honestly think that it was added in a way to benefit comp. players, because once you guys learn to watch for and counteract it, it'll separate comp wannabes who show up to tournies with the same tired ****ing foxes and think they're hot **** because they read an FAQ on SHFFL.

I'm just saying, with any other game mechanic, and god knows, you guys are looking hard for them, you find a way to learn from it and exploit it. This is no different. Find a way to work with it. If you're really competitive players, that's what you get paid to do. In a way, breaking and unbreaking smash is your job.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
These exact same arguments apply to the question: Why don't we turn bobombs on very high? Their appearance is random. They can affect both players. If you get hit by one, you didn't react fast enough. Etc. Yet only the scrubbiest scrubs would want bobombs turned on very high. Tripping is less serious because it happens less frequently and may rarely lead to stock conversion, but at high level play, it can and will affect the outcome of important matches.

Tripping is a bad mechanic. It's obvious that, for now, it's part of the game. This is not contested, so why do you keep pointing it out? Everyone knows it's part of the game. With the very real possibility that Brawl can and will be patched, there is every reason to voice our complaints. And even if there weren't, criticism isn't justified by its utility. It is its own justification.
Good point, but do you believe tripping will be so prevalent as to -seriously- hinder a competitive player's chances to win. You yourself said it -does- happen less frequently and rarely leads to stock conversion. So what of high level play will make it more frequent and less rare, nothing much really. Regardless, I do see how it does indeed apply to competitive playing, and I -can- see how it can lead to a player losing one stock because of the trip. It's all a matter of just how much and how well it can impair tournament level play. We obviously can't restart the matches every time someone trips. Basically what I'm trying to say is, in the -chance- it isn't removed.....play to win, so what if they trip.

Edit: Also, what the guy above me said.

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
love all the randies telling everyone how much they couldn't care less about tripping. this is a competitive smash forum, and something like this could have significant effects on the outcome of a match if it happens at the wrong time.

go back to gamefaqs, no one likes you here

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
love all the randies telling everyone how much they couldn't care less about tripping. this is a competitive smash forum, and something like this could have significant effects on the outcome of a match if it happens at the wrong time.

It's not solely a competitive forum, is it...? If I do believe so, there -are- forum sections on these boards that are solely for competitive discussion? I might be wrong.

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
No one likes anyone who uses a forum in-term like randies. Especially ina derogatory fashion. Nerd points, much? It's called killing time discussing a hobby. Look it up, Alabaster McSnoot.

But I won't keep you long - Mom's almost done cooking dinner, I'm sure.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman

I'm shooting the next person I see who says that.

SWF is not just a competitive Smash forum, it's the Smash forum that competitives go to. There's a difference. If it were the former, you or I or most of the people complaining in this thread probably wouldn't be here. It'd be more like the SBR, which granted would be less stressful.

ifthisisitsobeit

Smash Cadet
I believe arguing over this is a bit ridiculous. Since it is programed into the game there is nothing that can be done. (I highly doubt Nintendo will do anything to change it.) Tripping will make you think twice when you're trying to dash straight at someone while you are at a high enough percentage to be KO'ed.
That is the case, unless you have a death wish, which is rarely granted....

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Good point, but do you believe tripping will be so prevalent as to -seriously- hinder a competitive player's chances to win. You yourself said it -does- happen less frequently and rarely leads to stock conversion. So what of high level play will make it more frequent and less rare, nothing much really. Regardless, I do see how it does indeed apply to competitive playing, and I -can- see how it can lead to a player losing one stock because of the trip. It's all a matter of just how much and how well it can impair tournament level play. We obviously can't restart the matches every time someone trips. Basically what I'm trying to say is, in the -chance- it isn't removed.....play to win, so what if they trip.

Edit: Also, what the guy above me said.
Any amount of random favor hinders competitive play to *some* extent. Things like Peach's turnips could sometimes turn the course of a match. I recall at one tournament playing a match where my opponent pulled out a bobomb, then a stitch-face, then a bobomb. This is very very rare but it does happen. The game would be better if turnips were pulled pseudo-randomly (for instance, every 20 turnips you get a stitch-face, but in random order within that set of 20 turnips). But the problem is rare enough, and it's only one character, so that didn't break the game. Tripping probably won't break the game either, but it's more serious than Peach's turnips since it applies to all characters and seems to occur at least once every match or two.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Uchiharakiri, if you're going to say something at least skim through the previous posts instead of joining, reading post #1 and immediately replying.

NekoBoy085

Smash Apprentice
The same thing applies every time you get hit by that super hammer. Chance and randomness, only by logic, G&W is cheaper then tripping with a higher percentage rate. So how do you deal with getting hit by that huge *** hammer? Can't dodge it all the time I know that.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
The same thing applies every time you get hit by that super hammer. Chance and randomness, only by logic, G&W is cheaper then tripping with a higher percentage rate. So how do you deal with getting hit by that huge *** hammer? Can't dodge it all the time I know that.
Shield button. Did you not even watch the videos?

Ralk

Smash Rookie
slipping depends on the surface

I recall reading the post that did a good analysis of slipping. One of the conclusions was that you were much more likely to slip on certain surfaces - especially ice. I wonder if there are any surfaces where slipping is simply impossible. Has anyone tested all surfaces available in the stage builder?

NekoBoy085

Smash Apprentice
Shield button. Did you not even watch the videos?
Yep, so you are saying that you can block every single attack an opponent throws at you? You are some kind of god with ultimate defense? Why aren't you the best fox player? I mean in that video you couldn't even block all of Ike's moves, he was smacking you around and he's much slower then G&W. :laugh:

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
Yep, so you are saying that you can block every single attack an opponent throws at you?
:laugh: So funny.

I can't wait for someone to actually turn tripping into an advantage so these threads will end. I realize it might not happen, but I bet that it will. I think the thing people really hate is that they can't just sit around practicing tripping techniques because its not reliable enough to practice over and over again; instead they'll have to learn just a little bit more every time they trip.

Of course, what the hell do any of us know? No one save the developers have had enough practice with tripping at this point to be sure what we can do with it.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Yep, so you are saying that you can block every single attack an opponent throws at you? You are some kind of god with ultimate defense? Why aren't you the best fox player? I mean in that video you couldn't even block all of Ike's moves, he was smacking you around and he's much slower then G&W. :laugh:
The G&W Hammer attack still has to land and the attack can be blocked. There was nothing I could do the prevent getting smacked by that fSmash, I even cancelled my trip 1 frame after I fell, and even if I did it perfectly, 0 frames, I still would have gotten hit. IT'S INESCAPABLE.
It's not like G&W hammer will randomly stop you from running, drag you closer, make you vulnerable and deal 23% damage, because if it did, then it would be comparable. G&W hammer is nowhere near the same thing and I'm tired of trying to reason with you.

why are you complaining, you would have died very soon anyway, and you still won by a longshot???
http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4075468&postcount=33

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
lmfao

OMFG ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS JUST GET UP FAST

How the **** are you supposed to INSTANTLY react to something that RANDOMLY occurs? That's WHY ITEMS ARE BANNED. If we all had that kind of reaction time, we could leave exploding barrells on and simply use multiple inputs of Smash DI to survive it.

OMFG ITS IN THE GAME, GET USED TO IT
Think about Melee. Items are in the game, dumb stages like icycle mountain are in the game, IC's freeze glitch is in the game, black holes are in the game, peach wall bomber is int the game. The community decided that these things were ****ing stupid so they banned it. JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING IS IN THE GAME DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT.

OMFG PEACH AND GAME AND WATCH ARE RANDOM TOO
Obviously its different. You know before you even play the game that every time Peach reaches into the ground, she may pull out a Bomb. YOU SEE THE FREAKING BOMB IN HER HAND BEFORE SHE CAN DO ANYTHING WITH IT. At that point it is no longer random, it is simply a strong attack the character has that you have to deal with. i haven't played Brawl enough to know the differences, but in Melee, G&W players used the HAMMER for the sole purpose of hoping for a 9. All someone had to do was AVOID THE HAMMER.

YOU CAN'T SEE TRIPPING COMING. YOU CAN'T AVOID IT. YOU CAN'T PREPARE FOR IT. YOU CAN'T REACT TO IT. its COMPLETELY different. its completely useless, annoying, ********, and hindering to competitive play.

OMFG IT DOESN'T EVEN AFFECT THE GAME THAT MUCH, THEY MIGHT ONLY LOSE ONE STOCK
losing one stock is enough to lose 2000 dollars in a major tournament, or to lose bus fare in a money match.

OMFG YOU WON THE MATCH ANYWAY
Hey look behind you, you walked right by it, No not there, over there, you see it, its the POINT.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Again I previously didn't care that much thinking it won't affect that much, but when you can lose a stock like that... ugh. I did get up, I did get out of it, I got up 1 frame late and that one frame was probably because of Wi-Fi lag. Even so, I was hit after the 2nd frame of the trip recovery move. If I timed it perfectly, it would still be 3 frames and I'd probably still get smacked by it. In other words, inescapable.It's like exploding capsules in Melee, only you don't need items for it to happen, it's part of the game engine now.

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
A random chance of screwing up, leaving you open for a foe to wail on, and presumably only in the game because the programmers thought it would "funny"?

Yeah. Kliff's back says hi.

Tajem

Smash Apprentice
I don't like tripping either. But BAAAAWWWWING and stuff isn't going to change it.

Seriously, it's better to just deal with it. Even if it mucks up the competitive scene a bit.

There is NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
Well it's up to you. Either you change tournament rules to effect this kind of thing, or not.

I really don't care. I'll play either way.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Tripping adds nothing contructive to brawl. It only increased the luck factor, competitive games should have as little luck as possible.

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
Eating an attack because you tripped isn't the main problem with tripping. But the fact that it can happen at all is enough to say tripping sucks. The true bad aspect of tripping which will be twenty times more likely to happen is you trip and it disrupts your attack sequence, combo, or follow-up attack. It's essentially a get out of jail free card for your opponent; one they did not deserve or work for, a free escape from your assault. Even in this situation, even if you do react in time to tech it, your opportunity for following up on an attack has already passed and the opponent has still benefited from your trip. Teching does nothing when you're on the offensive.

You'll trip eventually and be forced to go from an offensive position to defensive. You might be able to tech out of it and avoid the attack, but sometimes you won't be able to. But again, your opponent just got an advantage without doing a single thing. On the flip side, it can happen to your opponent as well, but that doesn't mean it's any more skillful; it just means that it's random.

And even then some characters are just more likely to trip. Some characters' offensive game will be ground-based rather than aerial-based. Sucks to be them, because they're at a disadvantage.

Just because we can't change tripping doesn't mean we can't discuss it, so those of you doing the whole BAAAAAAAAWING stuff should step up your reading comprehension.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I am tired of looking at these stale remarks regarding to things such as "If you don't like tripping, don't play" or "learn to deal with it". The fact is that these are competitive boards, and Smash in general is a competitive game, therefor random factors are usually preferred to be avoided. Having a dislike towards tripping is not immature (provided the TC is not acting so), and of course we are all going to "deal with it" like everyone else, but that does not remove the right of the TC to express his opinion on the matter.

And for those of you who don't like members of the smash community creating discussion on the matter, you can "deal with it". Chances are you will be complaining about it later on too.

Top Bottom