• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video & Critique Thread

BSP

Smash Legend
@ PEPESPAIN PEPESPAIN great vid man

@ M Maziyah you ran circles around that ROB, nice work

@ BSP BSP Why is it so paramount to play/camp the ledge?
If you don't, Sonic's speed will overwhelm Pac-Man quickly. Since we can't grab, Sonic mixing up his approaches between run up and shield, run past Pac-Man, grab, turn around, spin dash, spin dash shield cancel, etc. will be nigh impossible to answer on a consistent basis. You have to hard read Sonic to answer these as Pac-Man, and you take 20%+ along with being in a disadvantaged position if you guess wrong.

If you don't camp the ledge, Sonic can spin dash freely. Unless Pac-Man has a key, he has to hard read Sonic's option from spindash to even punish him. In a nutshell, if you don't camp the ledge, you have to make hard reads to even hit Sonic.

When you camp the ledge with a trampoline in front of you, Sonic's running, grab, and spindash game are completely neutralized. He has to take substantially more risk to hit you since he must approach from the air. Charging Fruit will take homing attacks for Pac-Man as well.

I've tried to play normally vs Sonic in neutral in the past and it almost made me drop Pac-Man. Trust me, it doesn't end well.

Last edited:

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
@ BSP BSP

I didn't see your matches yet, I'll do it when I go home.

But I'm used to play against sonic like this.....

UpB almost everytime
Try to zdrop items against sonic, zdrop key is nice against him.

I think that the match up is really easy for us if we play it correctly. I won almost every sonic in Spain.

You can play like that against every rush characters like... sonic, captain falco, little mac,....

Tonight I'll try to say something about your matches!

Last edited:

Tornado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AnEF5Tornado
http://www.twitch.tv/thegameloungedc/b/670919736?t=18m20s

Honestly, I'm not really happy with the way I played those games. Since I very rarely play live, there's still so many times my inputs are not doing what I want. Hence a lot of those random smashes. I'm always somewhat weary of approaching a Yoshi thus I made heavy use of the fruits on him. Also, especially for Lylat, I never feel comfortable there.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Hey there guys. I know I've been super inactive on here lately. I haven't really had much of a chance to get on here before, and probably won't have much time in the future either, but I'm going to keep trying my best to keep this place updated from time to time. Once I get all of the videos from before the most recent update I'll take a break before tackling the most recent and most relevant videos.

I've been so far out of the loop that I didn't even realize that Lucas, Roy, and Ryu had been added to the roster.

Anyways, I see you've all been going strong at repping the big cheese. Keep it up guys!

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Anybody have a useful video that includes pellet shielding? Wanna show it to a friend of mine, think he could learn it.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Help me help my friend here? http://www.twitch.tv/gamingzoneaz/b/673523897 1:15.54

I'm the :4megaman:. I play Pac-Man too, but you guys are more knowledgeable on the character than I am and you'll probably notice more of his bad habits than I can. I know he never attempted to Pellet Shield, he almost always drops the hydrant in a patterned way (I once told him this and he denied it, but I still think he does it), and he kinda rolls too much. But what else would you say he needs to work on? Normally when the two of us play though I usually get the better of him and he was sort of scared to face off ahainst me in the bracket, but he gave me a bigger run for my money than usual this time, either he improved a bit or I just played sloppier. Idk. Still, if you could help the both of us out, I'd really appreciate it.

BSP

Smash Legend
This was from yesterday, The People's Tournament II.

http://www.twitch.tv/lsusmash/b/675397587

At ~5:17:00, I play against Bman1K. Pac-Man vs Sonic as usual. I could've taken it, but not this time it seems. I still can't KO that well. I'm too scared to throw out smashes, even when they're soft reads. Setups are kind of hard to get vs Sonic.

Right before that, I play against Denti's Yoshi and Diddy. I wasn't thinking vs Yoshi and could've pellet shielded when he started egg camping, but that's what happens when you start playing harder and not smarter.

I'm trying to fish out Loser's finals now. I get demolished by Sheik.

http://www.twitch.tv/lsusmash/b/675489598

Loser's finals at 48:45; I need to study this and see what I did wrong.

Ok, game 1: This is EXACTLY why practicing your Key recovery is important. If Denti was willing to sit back, I should've taken my time and gotten Key in my hand. Then I could launch hydrants without needles interfering. I wasn't thinking straight, I know these things....

Game 2 - ....I guess I could've thrown out more Bairs to challenge the Fairs, but I'm not sure what else I could've done that match. Pac-Man's not that fast.

Game 3 I went Mario. I think I could pull it off with Mario, but I need to work on the MU more. Which is difficult when you also play Pac-Man.

Last edited:

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667

Tornado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AnEF5Tornado
Hello Pac-Man mains, while I was in the lab with Pac-Man I found out 2 nice kill set up, I don´t know if this are well know by the community but I just wanted to share them here. I was able to pull them in battle yesterday, here are the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kirqudk3GCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW8oAS36pRA

Sorry for the quality but is the best I can do.
Those are very nice. I think they were a bit flashy but in reality probably aren't the safest ways to get the kill.

1) Because the time of the bell stun varies based on damage, you may not have enough to pull off the side+B, also bell would have to land on proper side to send him flying. Personally, in that scenario, I think it's definitely quicker, and thus much safer to just turn and f-smash or down-smash.

2) I'd like to see this one done in a setup that isn't reliant on the opposing player messing up a running attack while pac just stands there. It looks cool definitely, but I'm not a fan of combos that only work if the opposing player messes up a gimme.

AlphaMen

Smash Rookie
Those are very nice. I think they were a bit flashy but in reality probably aren't the safest ways to get the kill.

1) Because the time of the bell stun varies based on damage, you may not have enough to pull off the side+B, also bell would have to land on proper side to send him flying. Personally, in that scenario, I think it's definitely quicker, and thus much safer to just turn and f-smash or down-smash.

2) I'd like to see this one done in a setup that isn't reliant on the opposing player messing up a running attack while pac just stands there. It looks cool definitely, but I'm not a fan of combos that only work if the opposing player messes up a gimme.
I run some test on the first one an it works at 90 % and foward, landing behind the opponet is tricky but with enough practice it can be done with no problem.

The second one yeah I agree is fancy and hard to do, but give it a shot. Plus if you throw the bell up and miss the up tilt the bell can still hit and stun the opponent on the way down so if the try to grab you they will get stun, so it a medium risk, high reward set up.

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
I have a question about this thread. Do people submit custom on battle videos here? I would also like to view them.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
@ BSP BSP Your matches from TPT II are up.

https://www.youtube.com/user/LSUSmash/videos

One piece of advice I' give you is to not complete your jab combo on your opponent's shield, get out of the habbit of always tapping the a button 3 times. Jab jab, and then Up b if they are still shielding.

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
Me vs. a player by BahBahDeh on For Glory:

It was close but I won. I would like help on improving here, what I did wrong and right because it was close and I struggled. I noticed how that Mega Man player was really accurate with his Crash Bombs. And I don't think I fast fall enough, which was maybe because of pressure. Sometimes when I go against aggressive players, I feel I don't play as smoothly as I normally would with others.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Me vs OcS James at the break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qSjQGAplhw

Last time I posted a set vs the guy people told me to trampoline more, I went into this match with that in min but using it against Luigi is so strange since he doesn't rush in the way Sonic or Captain Falcon does, he approaches so slowly that I kinda forgot to use the trampoline. next time we play I'm going default an committing to the trampoline, because what I'm doing is just not working.

The other big advice I got was to edge guard him, which I tried a bit with the hydrant but an more I'm seeing that bair off stage is the superior tool, this is something I'm going to make more integral to my game.

I may also try the freaky fruit against him, I'm theory crafting an I'm seeing how it could be very helpful in this matchup. Any other critiques besides what I mentioned are very welcome :)

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
Me vs OcS James at the break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qSjQGAplhw

Last time I posted a set vs the guy people told me to trampoline more, I went into this match with that in min but using it against Luigi is so strange since he doesn't rush in the way Sonic or Captain Falcon does, he approaches so slowly that I kinda forgot to use the trampoline. next time we play I'm going default an committing to the trampoline, because what I'm doing is just not working.

The other big advice I got was to edge guard him, which I tried a bit with the hydrant but an more I'm seeing that bair off stage is the superior tool, this is something I'm going to make more integral to my game.

I may also try the freaky fruit against him, I'm theory crafting an I'm seeing how it could be very helpful in this matchup. Any other critiques besides what I mentioned are very welcome :)
Honestly you got the right idea, use nair more and trampoline a lot, tramp out his grabs and leave it out the field , edge guarding him is where you can get a lot of damage or a kill, off stage bell is really strong because he'll recover pretty much vertically unless hes high in the air or gets a misfire.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I have a question about this thread. Do people submit custom on battle videos here? I would also like to view them.
Not only do they post them but when I catch the custom movesets being used I put them into their own category so that they're easy to find later on. :)

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Yo what's up guys? Haven't been here that much in awhile and I haven't playe Pac-Man all that much recently, so I feel a bit rusty with him and I wanted to know what you guys think I could improve on. These are all friendlies I've done with the exception of the Zelda video, taken from For Glory instead.

:4ryu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgn_1KWmuw8
:4megaman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2vrdwaLAr0 (customs use in this one)
:4sonic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uhKYhXyV1A
:4zelda: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTSgMpD3j28

Could really use all the help I can get, would really appreciate it. Sorry for poor qualit, but I lack a capture card and youtube replay sharing doesn't come til' next month, I think

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Winners Quarters from my local.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRMCLajfWzw

My opponent would have had an easier time had he stuck with Luigi, I have a hard time against him. I'm find Lazy Fruit is inconsistent. I have a hard time finding a balance between using it to keep my opponent out and using it for pressure/hitting my opponent in it. I played well with it here, except for relying on the apple too much, and not using the Galagtican more.

Criticizim is welcome :)

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

My opponent would have had an easier time had he stuck with Luigi, I have a hard time against him. I'm find Lazy Fruit is inconsistent. I have a hard time finding a balance between using it to keep my opponent out and using it for pressure/hitting my opponent in it. I played well with it here, except for relying on the apple too much, and not using the Galagtican more.

You could try to walk out faster opponents, and go in against slower ones. You could also try walling out opponents when you are in the lead, and go in when you are behind.

Or mix them both to both confuse the opponent and force them to the continuously adapt to the situation

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
@ Nu~ Nu~ I guess that's something I just have to practice.

Winners semis from my local https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRjlIJi-sdw

You can take this as a perfect example of how NOT to play the matchup, it's was terrible and I know better(I played it like I was up against Toon Link instad of Link). I blame the mis-strategy on my going Doc in tournaments as of late, and what I am realizing is that learning and implimenting a strategy agasint 55 different characters complete with customs is a monumnetal task, doubling that with a secondary seems near impossible to me. It's not something I think you can do with a casual commitment like I have. Maybe it affects Pacman more than other characters though.

Second match went Robin, but I should have gone doc instead(since I haven't been practicing her). My charging was a mess, My DI was awful and not once did I catch my broken tomes. It's an embarassing match all around.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

I'm not quite on the level of your Pac Man and I consider mine flimsy or okayish at best, but I'll bite. I don't ave the greatest memory of everything that happened though and the video is 20 min long so I don't feel like watching the whole thing again, so forgive me if I missed something. Forgive me if my advice is bad, incorrect, or misinformed since I'm still not too great with the character myself.

• First thing I noticed: I think you rolled waaaaay too much. You ususlly did it when the opponent was getting a little too close, when charging fruit, or sometimes rolling into them and UpB (though this wasn't actually too bad an bad idea, I think I might want to start doing it a bit too); and I felt you were easily giving away stage control or positional advantages and that your opponent did a poor job of punishing you (no offense to him). If he had read your rolls better and/or chose better roll-punishing options I think he could've potentially given you a rougher ride. In most of those situations where you rolled, I would've spotdodged, walked & jumped, Nair OoS, or cancel bonus fruit charge into Jab, UpB, or Nair instead if I were you.
  • I don't think I saw you do too many combos and while I understand you prefer to play safe, I felt you could attempt a few more risks and maybe expand your combo game a bit? Would definitely use the galaxian more often if I were you, an I would go in for a few more Fair > Nair/Fair strings too. In my experience, I know our grab sucks but I've been having some success Dthrow > UpB since I can always get it if I'm right on top of my opponent, and even if they tech I can tech chase with fruit or a regrab.
  • On game 3, is there any reason you didn't ban Battlefield and allow your opponent to bring you there? Again, I'm still a mediocre Pac-Man, but people have told me Battlefield is probably one of the least favorable stages for him: Platforms can interfere with z-dropping, make it harder to hit with some of the fruits and the hydrant, its harder to zone with them around, and the small size of it maks it harder to zone on too. These all seemed pretty convincing and Battlefield does annoys me when I play on it, so when I play Pac-Man Battlefield gets a good ol' ban forever from me. Since you're more experienced, maybe you know something good about it that I don't? Is there a stage you consider even worse? So much that Battlefield isn't worth one of your 2 ban slots?
  • I probably missed some, but I don't think you z-dropped nearly enough and I felt you could've done some cool shenanigans more if you did, and its real easy to do with Lazy Fruit since you were using it (and personally, Z-dropping is the only reason I ever use Lazy Fruit, since I don't really know what other great stuff that makes it worth the sacrifice from default). In general, I also think you underused the cherry and the strawberry compared to the other fruits, they make decent pokes and 'get off me' moves.
  • Hydrant + a trampoline makes a great ledge trap and I felt you should have done more to threaten opponents at the ledge. Definitely want to z-drop more with that department too.

Pac_Man_clap.gif
Other than that great stuff! Totally learned a thing or two from this, you're definitely convincing me on Dire Hydrant's viability and I really dig your fruit and hydrant shenanigans. You've shown me some great uses for Lazy Fruit too besides z-dropping, as mentioned earlier I dunno what to use it for besides that. If you got the time, maybe you could return the favor and criticize my videos I just posted? Could really use any help I can get, and you seem really good so I think anything you've got for me would help a ton.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

You should have been a lot more defensive against his luigi. There were many times that you had the lead and still tried to go in. Lylat cruise messed up your trampoline, but normally you could just sit behind it and react to his approaches once you have the lead.

For some advice in general, I would say to hold onto your fruit once you charge it. Many times in the match did u see you charge up a fruit and immediately throw it. It gets predictable and is easy to shield on reaction. Instead, try to charge and hold your fruit so that you have it for when you really need it in the future of the match.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
You should have been a lot more defensive against his luigi. There were many times that you had the lead and still tried to go in. Lylat cruise messed up your trampoline, but normally you could just sit behind it and react to his approaches once you have the lead.

For some advice in general, I would say to hold onto your fruit once you charge it. Many times in the match did u see you charge up a fruit and immediately throw it. It gets predictable and is easy to shield on reaction. Instead, try to charge and hold your fruit so that you have it for when you really need it in the future of the match.
You know we originally struck to Smashville, but I was against it because the low ceiling would have given hm way too early kills. We struck again to Lylat and I just went with it. I would have probably missed that. I think most of the times I only keep my fruit when I am hoping to kill with it. I would have missed that if you hadn't pointed out, I'll work on it.

Unfortunately my losers quarters match wasn't stream recorded because winners finals took so long. It was Pacman vs Ness all games on Smashville. We went even game 1 until I mis-inputed an up-smash instead of a forward smash(I think the 3ds suck for this, I need to get the Wi-U version) and got B-throwed punished for it. Game 2 I had the lead until the end where he adapted and I failed to counter adapt. I understand what I did wrong though.

Last edited:

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
I would like some critique/tips on what I did wrong at the beginning of the match when I had some trouble giving damage, what I could/should have done differently. And tips for the rest of the match would be fine too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom