• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress Video Arkive & Critique Thread ~Updating in progress 45 chars done~

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Quick question, I'll be recording Wii U matches soon are we planning on separating 3DS and Wii U videos with a separate thread?
If this is up for discussion I'd like to consider separating the threads. That way it doesn't have to be such a big burden on one person maintaining the library for both versions of the game. Of course, there will be an overlap in beneficial information, but I think my "Find it Here" and other users' future guide threads will also help with that issue.

TFofTruth

Smash Rookie
These are taken from different points of the top 16 VOD from a tournament I took 2nd in.

Jester(:4link:) vs. GhoulDaddy(:4lucina:/:4rob:)
http://youtu.be/UN4a3LM8-1s?t=10m45s

Jester(:4link:) vs. GrimeGenie(:4falco:)
http://youtu.be/UN4a3LM8-1s?t=1h16m15s

Jester(:4link:) vs. Echo(:4samus:)
http://youtu.be/UN4a3LM8-1s?t=1h37m27s

You can watch me get bodied in grand finals too, but we ain't gotta talk about that xD
Some good matches man! I'm also in Omaha and a Link main. I played some online matches against Villager the other night and it was a similar nightmare. It's a rough matchup for sure.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333

JesteRace

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, dude. I actually lost round 1 with Yoshi, then switched to Link and just swept all the way through loser's bracket leaving a trail of the salty tears of my victims behind me. It was awesome.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Well, continue to do great works! Hope i get to fight some of you guys on the wiiu come Christmas. @ BryE BryE , i summon thee! You get to watch my recent videos? Find a Link that stands out (hint hint :p)?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Quick question, I'll be recording Wii U matches soon are we planning on separating 3DS and Wii U videos with a separate thread?
Post it in here :)

If this is up for discussion I'd like to consider separating the threads. That way it doesn't have to be such a big burden on one person maintaining the library for both versions of the game. Of course, there will be an overlap in beneficial information, but I think my "Find it Here" and other users' future guide threads will also help with that issue.
Now with the Wii U version out, I reckon as time goes on the rate of 3DS videos that people post will die down. So it should be okay for me to deal with both versions of the game for now, but if it does get hairy I'll make or let someone do a separate thread.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Well, continue to do great works! Hope i get to fight some of you guys on the wiiu come Christmas. @ BryE BryE , i summon thee! You get to watch my recent videos? Find a Link that stands out (hint hint :p)?
Haha, I actually watched your recent vids. You're pretty solid dude. :)
I'm going to upload some wifi matches when I get the chance. I got some really good ones that I wanna show to you guys.

TFofTruth

Smash Rookie
Any criticisms and areas to improve you guys noticed in my videos?
In some of the earlier matches you were using lots of dash attacks and getting punished, but you stopped by the last match. Only thing I'd say to use more of is up+B out of shield. Great for punishing people who like to be really aggressive, since it comes out so fast, and it punishes people who land behind you. In all though, you were doing some good work.

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
Any criticisms and areas to improve you guys noticed in my videos?
Seems like you had a tough time against Villager; Cody was great at spacing and used his rocket and slingshot aerial very well. That being said, you can still out-spam Villager with proper spacing and handling of the rocket projectile: it's important to note that the rocket can be negated by your Hylian Shield (crouch to block it when it's fired from the ground, and if the angle is correct, a neutral stance will block one fired from the air). While Villager can pocket your projectiles, don't let that stop you from spamming since you're usually outmatched in the air and off-stage (Villager's aerials often take priority over Link's and their balloon recovery is tough to punish). Over all, the moves you have to watch out for most are Villager's slingshot, rocket, and dair/nair. Adapt your play to avoiding/blocking those and mix up your recoveries off-stage; you'll feel much more comfortable from there.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Alright hope you enjoy the new layout, it will be both categorized by matchup and date. The downside is that now it is a bit clunkier, might be harder to find new matches, and more work for me :p

Eventually when there's a lot of vids for a certain match up, videos will be put organised into spoilers by the players name.

Hope you guys have some suggestions for making it less clunkier that also is less work to do for me.

Last edited:

_Relapse_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0962-9930-5001

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I have a 130-1 record on For Glory, here is my Link bad quality vids =(
Dude. You probably play the best defensive Link I have ever seen. You take advantage of all his defensive options (especially in the Samus fight), which is good. I think I might consider using some aspects of your meta for the ZSS MU. If you were going for being a total troll with Link online, you get a solid 10/10. :)

The only thing I don't like though is that you severely limit many of his other options and reduce yourself to spamming projectiles and recovering low with spin attack. A really good competitive player would see this and find a way to punish you hard for it. They also won't run into all your attacks like the other players did in your matches. You play your Link with what I call "Iron Boots," meaning you play him solely on the ground and never leave the stage. Basically, you play like Little Mac, and that only takes Link so far. You should use some of his aerials more, take advantage of more ATs, use Zair (clawshot in the air). Open yourself up to the many other things Link can do. He's a very versatile character with lots of potential, so experiment with his many options. DO MORE WITH LINK.

Btw, :4link:>:4tlink:. Nuff said. :p

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Dude. You probably play the best defensive Link I have ever seen. You take advantage of all his defensive options (especially in the Samus fight), which is good. I think I might consider using some aspects of your meta for the ZSS MU. If you were going for being a total troll with Link online, you get a solid 10/10. :)

The only thing I don't like though is that you severely limit many of his other options and reduce yourself to spamming projectiles and recovering low with spin attack. A really good competitive player would see this and find a way to punish you hard for it. They also won't run into all your attacks like the other players did in your matches. You play your Link with what I call "Iron Boots," meaning you play him solely on the ground and never leave the stage. Basically, you play like Little Mac, and that only takes Link so far. You should use some of his aerials more, take advantage of more ATs, use Zair (clawshot in the air). Open yourself up to the many other things Link can do. He's a very versatile character with lots of potential, so experiment with his many options. DO MORE WITH LINK.

I agree with this. You seem to play a really good defensive Link @ RoronoaTREY15 RoronoaTREY15 . But I feel when you start playing more aggressive players at a higher level, they might take advantage of this and rush in fairly easily with perfect shielding and good rolling.
I suggest doing what Powerstar9 said, play with more options and try to be versatile so people won't take advantage of your playstyle.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I hear 1Fow1 has a pretty awesome Ness. Too bad my chances of fighting him again are very low. :(

Replay date: 20 November 2014
Powerstar9:4link: vs. Asteriskrocks:4ness:
1 - http://youtu.be/Qf8E_2wIQP4
2 - http://youtu.be/NjsPDfqNAFg
3 - http://youtu.be/boMXZ4ZAldA
4 - http://youtu.be/8yAXVk_09To
5 - http://youtu.be/T9dPhiLnPiI
6 - http://youtu.be/vqo4MuiWJvs
7 - http://youtu.be/DZg1Sxr9hy8
8 - http://youtu.be/H9Wj3o644rg
Powerstar9:4link: vs. Dark Samus:4wario2: - http://youtu.be/ZMm5f7GpDz0

I think everyone should use the same formatting for videos in order to make @ Scabe Scabe 's life easier, don't you think?

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
You guys mind critiquing my Link? This was at a GC tourney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP2mLKh3pwM&list=UUQXmSkRf_Hkf3-fw43q6s1w
I like that you're trying to be aggressive with Link. However in Smash 4 I think it's just better for you to play slightly more defensive. Especially in this case since you want to zone DDD out rather than fight him up close since he doesn't have many options for dealing with Link's projectiles. So basically zone more and abuse Zair on bigger characters since it has a pretty long range.
Also using the first hit of Fair like that is a biiiig no. You can get easily punished on shield for doing that. Try using Bairs instead of Fairs. That way you'll have more time to react out of your Bairs since they don't cause a lot of landing lag. (None if you autocancel them)

Nice use of bombs offstage as a recovery as well. It's good to see more people using the shorter bomb fuse to their advantage.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
I like that you're trying to be aggressive with Link. However in Smash 4 I think it's just better for you to play slightly more defensive. Especially in this case since you want to zone DDD out rather than fight him up close since he doesn't have many options for dealing with Link's projectiles. So basically zone more and abuse Zair on bigger characters since it has a pretty long range.
Also using the first hit of Fair like that is a biiiig no. You can get easily punished on shield for doing that. Try using Bairs instead of Fairs. That way you'll have more time to react out of your Bairs since they don't cause a lot of landing lag. (None if you autocancel them)

Nice use of bombs offstage as a recovery as well. It's good to see more people using the shorter bomb fuse to their advantage.
People say that this game plays a lot like Brawl. Sadly, I never learned Link in Brawl because I rarely played Brawl. That's why I'm constantly using the first hit of the Fair, and not the Bair as often as I should. I've gotten better at it though! Is Fairing still a viable option when zoning? I generally Nair when I zone. I'm still learning when to Zair properly. It's very alien to me, and I very rarely used it in Melee. On the 3DS, Zairing feels weird, but I bet it feels more comfortable on a GC controller.

I generally don't have problems playing against DDD, but I've been known to have tourney jitters XD Regardless, thanks for the feedback! If anyone wants to add to it, please feel free to do so! I need all the help I can get!

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
People say that this game plays a lot like Brawl. Sadly, I never learned Link in Brawl because I rarely played Brawl. That's why I'm constantly using the first hit of the Fair, and not the Bair as often as I should. I've gotten better at it though! Is Fairing still a viable option when zoning? I generally Nair when I zone. I'm still learning when to Zair properly. It's very alien to me, and I very rarely used it in Melee. On the 3DS, Zairing feels weird, but I bet it feels more comfortable on a GC controller.

I generally don't have problems playing against DDD, but I've been known to have tourney jitters XD Regardless, thanks for the feedback! If anyone wants to add to it, please feel free to do so! I need all the help I can get!

Fairing isn't really an option to zone with. It's more of a midair chase move or a retreating move rather than an approaching tool. You don't wanna be approaching with short hopped fairs at all.
I played Brawl Link for quite awhile. Although I was never really that great with Link in SSBB, I did was mildly ok. I played like any ol' Link. My main game is Project M and I'd like to think that I'm a competent player because I feel as if I'm not limited by my character anymore. Pretty much all of my skill from Brawl and Project M transferred over to Smash 4. Although I'm still not quite used to Link in this game.

And no problem dude. I'm glad my advice was helpful to you. :)

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Damn people not following the format. Maybe I shouldn't have put the rules in spoilers.

But I'll add you guys in the OP eventually, looks like that DDD match is in 1.0.3.

Also now let me know if the matches were in tournament or not. Gonna start putting a notice so that people can search for tournament matches easier.

Last edited:

RoronoaTREY15

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
I agree with this. You seem to play a really good defensive Link @ RoronoaTREY15 RoronoaTREY15 . But I feel when you start playing more aggressive players at a higher level, they might take advantage of this and rush in fairly easily with perfect shielding and good rolling.
I suggest doing what Powerstar9 said, play with more options and try to be versatile so people won't take advantage of your playstyle.
I try to play defensive based against certain characters, but more aggressive vs others. I've never been a fan of zair because I like to have a bomb in hand, and I love me some tilts. Most Link players I have played try to use zair but I usually jump backwards and punish with the boomerang.

RoronoaTREY15

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoronoaTREY15

I play more in the air vs falco, and I try to stay grounded vs characters like mario, luigi, and others that own the air. I'm also not a fan of toon link at all, just doesn't fit my style of play lol. I also guess the low recovery was something I do without thinking, and I have gotten spiked a couple of times for it. This doesn't happen in any of the matches I recorded so I can't show you an example.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Hey @ RoronoaTREY15 RoronoaTREY15 Do you reckon you could reformat your videos for me? Have a look at the original post of this thread to see what to do and then I'll add your video.

I'm sorry @ link7 link7 but I've decided last minute not to add your video in due to it still being in 1.0.3 and because it has not been formatted. But luckily people have critiqued your video. If you really want it added though just format it and I will add it in.

I know it may seem like I'm getting harsher with the criteria for posting videos but I do it because it makes organising videos a lot easier.

RoronoaTREY15

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
Hey @ RoronoaTREY15 RoronoaTREY15 Do you reckon you could reformat your videos for me? Have a look at the original post of this thread to see what to do and then I'll add your video.

I'm sorry @ link7 link7 but I've decided last minute not to add your video in due to it still being in 1.0.3 and because it has not been formatted. But luckily people have critiqued your video. If you really want it added though just format it and I will add it in.

I know it may seem like I'm getting harsher with the criteria for posting videos but I do it because it makes organising videos a lot easier.
Sorry about that, I was trying to get immediate feedback lol

Scabe

Successful Businessman
No need to apologise, I can see that you're new around here. :)

I like that you commentate your own videos. Critiquing your own videos is actually a very good way to improve.

Last edited:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163

Oh it's fine. I posted the vid for critiquing, not recognition on the OP.
I guess for future vids., how do you want it formatted?

Edit: That's nots a vid. I made, so I dunno if I can format the vids. any particular way.

Last edited:

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Okay that's good to know!

Here's an example of formatting that I want for future vids.

When posting a video link please write down
  1. Wii U or 3DS
  2. The date: dd /name of month/ year
  3. Players names and character used
  4. If the match was a tournament match or for glory
  5. If custom moves were on then let me know. If custom moves weren't on, then you don't have tt say.
Example:

22 September 2014 Tournament
Scizor :4link: vs JヨD :4roy:
http://www.twitch.tv/jed05/c/5163743

Last edited:

RoronoaTREY15

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
Okay that's good to know!

Here's an example of formatting that I want for future vids.

When posting a video link please write down
  1. The date: dd /name of month/ year
  2. Players names and character used
  3. If the match was a tournament match or for glory
  4. If custom moves were on then let me know. If custom moves weren't on, then you don't have tt say.
Example:

22 September 2014 Tournament
Scizor :4link: vs JヨD :4roy:
http://www.twitch.tv/jed05/c/5163743
Very helpful, thanks.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
I got a new capture device, guys! :D Now I can join in the fun.

22 November 2014 For Glory
Me:4link: vs. Kurt :4marth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmphwtlr7rM

23 November 2014 For Glory
Me :4link: vs. DarkGamerX :4sonic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17re_oUUN0Q

More to come... Admittedly, some of these may be matches I saved so I can reverse engineer my opponents' tactics (or if I only did something cool...), so if I play poorly...well, then I play poorly. :p

inb4 "Stop fastfalling into shields, mang!"

Me :4link: vs. DarkGamerX :4marth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGZ88q24nkU

Me :4link: vs. JP :4diddy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et7Umgxc3-c

Me :4link: vs. C.Falcon07 :4falcon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpZcF32mgs0

Last edited:

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
I'm gonna upload some matches later on tonight. But for now, have this gif of a highlight that happened when I was playing a friend of mine.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Very nice BryE. I have to ask you, how do you capture your matches and then turn them into gifs? I want to be able to capture videos for when I host my tourneys.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Very nice BryE. I have to ask you, how do you capture your matches and then turn them into gifs? I want to be able to capture videos for when I host my tourneys.
I actually record them with my Avermedia LGP. After that I use a program called LICEcap to record over the video to make a gif out of it. And after that I decided to upload it to gyfcat It's sort of a weird setup but it works for the most part. But I think I'll start using gyfcat since it's a lot easier.

For gyfcat, if I'm using a YouTube video, I could pretty much make a video and just convert the file into gfy format. All I pretty much have to do is find a video or make one my own, post it on gyfcat, then post the timestamp and put the length of the video I want to be rendered into a gyf. I actually just tried it out with the original video and this is what I got. https://gfycat.com/AlarmedEmotionalGnat#

You should post that Gif to reddit.com/r/smashbros
Just did! http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2nkvi6/link_dair_spike_shenanigans/

..Unfortunately it's not even listed under the new submissions. Had to message the moderators and they haven't gotten back to me on it yet.

Holy hell it's actually getting noticed on reddit.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Powerstar Link is the best Link there is! (Was just gonna say Yellow Link, but I like the ring of that) This is the troll/scrub on Twitch I was talking about in the social thread.
@ Elessar Elessar I have finally avenged the memory! First match. That's all I will say.

Replay Date: 20 November 2014 Friendlies
Powerstar9:4link: vs. Axel (aka Overlordaxel):4link:
@ Scabe Scabe do you like it with or w/o spoilers? Just thought it'd make things less cluttered.
This guy seemed to be a veteran Brawl Link. One of the problems he had (which I "attempted" to communicate in chat) was that he got a little smash-happy (used fsmashes too much) and tried to be flashy. I punished him for these things.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Powerstar Link is the best Link there is! (Was just gonna say Yellow Link, but I like the ring of that) This is the troll/scrub on Twitch I was talking about in the social thread.
@ Elessar Elessar I have finally avenged the memory! First match. That's all I will say.
I'm sorry, but I really have no idea what you're talking about.

Top Bottom