• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Victoria, BC - Uvic Smash Smashness

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
If by "we played pretty well" you mean "two of us went down there and did alright", then yeah, we did pretty well. :p The one thing we have going for us is that Francis is a pretty good Brawl player (4th last time for Brawl singles, I think?), but we try the best we can despite not having uber-amazing competition. Hopefully more of us will be able to show next time.

Anyway, always good to have another name. Sometime in the next bit I might put up a request for names and student #s just so we can get the forms ready to submit, or if we can get a booth for club days early September, just pop by then and write your name down. I'm not really sure what's going on with that, but I'll make sure to let everyone know when I do.

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
Talking Chicken, next SFU tournament we are both at, I want a Doc ditto MM; I've gotten substantialy better; I frown at my previous skill level.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Awesome. I'll be on the mainland in starting this Saturday till early January, so I'll be much more likely to make tournaments, as long as I have some sort of a ride to get there (which shouldn't be a problem, I don't think). Good to see you're improving - I'd like to see what you can do now. It's on. :p

ewic

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2363-5634-0009
Hey, I'm not going to UVic or anything, but I was wondering if I was able to join up. I've been waiting for something like this to happen... Everything seems to happen over on the mainland. -_-

Anyways, I have some videos of me playing if that matters. Go to my YouTube account, it's called "ewicn".

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
Not bad. Your samus is pretty good. If we get enough uvic students, sure you can come. Anyone can join as long as we meet the rules of the school.

Join our facebook group while you're at it.

Stryk9

Smash Journeyman
Well, I;ve been going to Uvic for three years, and this is a good idea. I;m a hardcore melee player. I play alot with Howard, who also goes to Uvic, and is pretty good. I'm already the president of the Uvic Squash club, so i don't knwo how much I'd have to contribute other than playing(pwning, hehe) and or trying to find some people.It's likely we could get more people , but they would probably be nubs/brawl players, which doesn't bother me at all because 10 people is more important than whether they play melee (the greatest game), but yea. I can probably help out. And, unless AIm wrong can't clubs apply for funding? Or do they have to be sports club. My squash club recievs about
1000$ a year, and then applies for other means of funding from other sources. That could technically alleviate any venue problem by supplying rent money etc for some other space, though I'm sure you'll be able to get atleast ten members and become official. Also, remember to sign up veryyyy early on the club sign up day for tables, because they go very fast.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Awesome. You have any advice when it comes to running a club/starting one? We're still new to this and trying to figure out what to do with this. The biggest thing would probably be club days for us, because we know we can register for it somehow even though we're not official yet. Membership is looking like it's less of a problem though.

Wow, with some of the response we're getting, I kinda wish I was still in Victoria this September. I'm excited to come back in January. :)

Stryk9

Smash Journeyman
well club sign up is pretty easy, and can be founmd(the date) on the Uvic website, or in the SUB building. The process goes (I think), you sign up on day Z by lining up in the morning and booking a table in the convention room (Ie, which location you want once you get a choice) then the next 2-3 days are club days, and you have people set up their booth, and it can be as nice a booth as your willing to make , so have atleast a decent sign (very smash colourful lol) and have people there with a signup list where you get peoples names and email adresses, (the facebook group will be good aswell) (collect fees or give information etc). Then once you have your people I'm sure you can just begin meeting. I'll likely be at the Squash booth and won't be able to participate with both clubs on those days, but it's easy.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Okay, everyone that wants to join, I've got one request for you guys.

We're trying to get some paperwork filled out and we need a memberlist. If you want to join and you can be an active member, please post in this topic with a few things (if you don't want to make this public, send me a PM):

Your name (full)
Your student number, if you're a UVIC student (either the old style, eg 0876543, or the new style, V0000123456 or whatever, will do)
Your email address (make sure spambots can't read it, add obvious extra characters to it or something)
Whether you're a UVIC student or not.

As far as actual membership goes, priority will be given to students. We will have room for other members, but maybe not everyone. After that, priority will be given to the people we've known the longest. If we don't include you, you can still show up, you just won't be a member and you won't have any say in what we will or won't do.

If we get a table and you can make UVic's club days (September 10 and 11), you can just stop by and write your info there, but I'm just putting the call out for the people who can't make it and also so we can get some of this stuff done in advance.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Hey, me and my friend are freshmen at UVic this year, and we were hoping there would be some kind of Smash community. I just randomly happened to check here (never been to this part of SWF before) and saw this thread and was wondering what the deal is.

I figured I would ask since there have been no posts in this thread since the start of the school year and there was nothing I could find at the club days, otherwise I would have joined on the spot. So yeah, is there anything still being done to get a regular Smash going at UVic? I would be willing to help in whatever way I could, as would that friend of mine. There are also two other undergrads I know of who would probably come, and a few of my non-student friends would probably be able to show up too.

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
we set up a booth at club days on the wednesday and had it on the thursday too, but our list was gone since none of us could be there at all. We have all the people who signed up wed, but not thurs. The reason why there's no new posts here is because we usually all communicate through the facebook group. Your interest is good. If you post your name, student number, and email in our facebook group, francis or rob, would be able to add you to our list and as for your friends who don't go to uvic, well...there name and email would be just fine.

All we have to do it submit all the pages in and when we're an official group, we'll speask out to everyone who signed up and discuss a day that is right for them.

Massimo

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone. I'm a casual player and UVic first year. I went and checked out ECS room 108 on Wednesday the 17th at 7:00pm, but didn't see anyone there. Have I made an mistake on some point? Or is Big Brother destroying my miiind? I'm frankly kind of off-put by Facebook, so I hope one of you checks this at some point...

By the way, I've got access to a Wii and Brawl, but would only be able to bring the game disc due to the console being owned by my folks.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
If we're not in 108, we're on a different room on the floor. Also, we say 7, but no one may necessarily be there at 7. Hang around till about 8 and people will likely show up.

Sorry you couldn't be there. We just got official club standing today (yay!), so we'll be booking rooms soon. That way you'll know what room you're supposed to be in.

liverymen

Smash Apprentice
ignore talking chicken!!! he knows not what he speaks!!! We were in room 125 last time cuz all the ones on the other side of the hall were taken. Honestly, show up around 7, peak inside every room in the main hall of that ESC building thing and we'll be in one of them. Snoop snoop snooop around.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so I'm not actually in Victoria for this, but I was half right. And what about those times over the summer, where we still say 7 but I'm sometimes still the only one there till at least 9, huh? :p

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
that was before I got my bus pass again so I didn't have to pay for bus. Also, Ross is there when it starts so I can bus there and get a ride from him back. At any rate, i come much earlier now, and I usually bring megan and it looks like my gf is interested in coming to these things too so you guys'll see her tomorrow too

Massimo

Smash Rookie
Soooo... You were there? Hmm. I did see a few likely-looking lads hanging about before I gave up and went home... But one thing: room 108 was never in use, right up until I left at about 7:30, except for myself and two people watching videos on a laptop. Maybe you mistook them for a club or class after a glance through the door. In any case, I'll try to be there at around 7:00 tonight (Wednesday) and stay for about a half hour. If you see me in the hall, feel free to accost me and point in the right direction. I'm dressed in a black coat and black jeans with a sort-of-maroon shirt.

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
ok. I will be there right aroun d 7 o clock. I'll be wearikng a bright red shirt under a black coat, with a backpack and a briefcase. Just wait by the front door there and we'll probably see each other. If you don't see anyone, just look inside every room on the first floor until you find us. This is possibly the lkast week we're at ECS as word is we might be moving to the SUB soon because renting projectors there is freee.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Are there any Melee events coming up in Vic sometime soon?
The idea is to do something before Christmas, (or that's what I hope), but we don't have anything concrete planned out yet.

That being said, as I'm stuck on the mainland for four months, I don't really know. It's really up to the guys there, but really, since the club has some kind of funding for this for renting rooms and equipment, I don't see why not.

Rest assured, though, the majority of Victoria's competitive community (or at least, before September came around and we advertised to the masses) plays Melee, so any tournament we have will have Melee.

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
Our clubs have started but not everyone has officially come. Once we have people coming, we'll announce something.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
I told my grandparents I'd visit them sometime, so I'm gonna try to make it at the same time as one of your events, please make it soon my grandparents aren't getting younger. :) :)

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
you guys calm down. *slap*

Right now, we're just trying to figure out when we actually can do it because as of now, most of our club is brawlbrawlbrawl. It won';t be until at least november i can tell you this.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I know. I'm basically the UVic rep, being one of the two UVic signing officers for the group, involved in every important decision for the group, and get given the unsurpassable title "other". I see where I stand in this group :p

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
i'm coming to jan one, not nov. Sorry jack.

Also, The title "other" is only given to the most respected member of the group, who happens to be lower in the ladder on paper, but is actually equal to everyone else in real life. In other words, you're like a closet otaku.

HI SHO!!!!!

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
bump

Thanks for coming to our first biweekly 1/2 coquitlam. Sure it was small, but i'm sure that with time it will grow.

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
TCMatt, are you going to SFUTS2? I want to get that Doc MM out of the way, since I don't really play him anymore. I'll still do it when we can though. Was it 5$ or 10$ though?

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
Ah, no problem. Come down to the Okanagan sometime, eh? haha. We'll work something out. Hopefully Van's TOs will be as active as Jack was.

Grimice

Smash Apprentice
Yo anyone from the island plz add my FC id like to see how the island competition is, im from C.river and i seem to have less lag problems when i play people online in BC and i look forward to metting you all at some victoria tourny's

peace GriM

Top Bottom