• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Victoria, BC - Uvic Smash Smashness

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
Attention all members of the Super Smash Bros Community of Victoria, BC: see 2nd post for directions on how to get here! PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE IN ROOM A104 of the Social Sciences and Math Building

ALRIGHT YOU HOOLIGANS, LISTEN UP!

WITH THE CLUB COMES PEOPLE. LOTS OF PEOPLE THIS BEING SAID, IF YOU HAVE A TV TO BRING AND ARE ABLE TO BRING IT, PLEASE DO. IF YOU LIVE NEAR UVIC AND ARE NOT ABLE TO BRING A TV, WE CAN GO AND GET IT...MAYBE. AS THERE WILL BE BOTH MELEE AND BRAWL, AS WELL AS COMPETITIVE AND NON-COMPETITIVE PLAYERS, EACH ARE ENCOURAGED TO PLAY THOSE OF THEIR OWN SKILL LEVEL AND STYLE OF PLAY. YOU CAN OBVIOUSLY PLAY WHOEVER YOU WANT, BUT IT WILL PROBABLY BE MORE FUN FOR YOU DOING THIS. THE SETUPS FOR EACH GROUP IN THE CLUB WILL GO AS FOLLOWS:

COMPETITIVE SMASH PLAYERS
Melee: The competitive players will be given specific rules that they must play by in each match. 4 stock matches on random neutral stages will be given priority to the matches. Should a "lax tourney" match be played, counterpicks will come into the mix as well. In official club tournament matches, the official rules for BC will apply. If you don't know them, learn them well...or you'll learn pretty quickly. Time limit for matches is 8 minutes. For team matches, team attack is on, and the time limit stays the same. For team matches, fountain of dreams is replaced by rainbow cruise as neutral stages. Like I said...learn the BC rules.

Brawl: As the smashboard rules are pretty relaxed, the club itself (that being people willing to logically debate each stage) will decide the fate of neutral, counterpicks, and banned stages. This list will be posted in the group when it has been made. 3 stock matches will be held with 8 minute time limits on the correct stages. More info as it comes. In order for the group to use your setup, you must have random stage selection options and all characters unlocked. For team matches, all the same rules apply. Like i said, stages still have to be picked, so that decision will be elft alone for now.

NON COMPETITIVE SMASH PLAYERS
Do whatever you want. There are no rules holding you back. Play on spear pillar with nothing but golden hammers and bumpers, in a timed match or perhaps a heavy, fast, handicap match. We can't really do anything to stop you. As long as both players, or all 4 if you're doing a ffa, agree on the rules and have fun, then go wild and have fun...after all, that's what the group is all about.

As the ladder is still in construction, details will not be revealed yet.

The Club leaders are we. We know all, and see all. Bow down before us:

Club Overlord - Francis "Liverymen"
Club Underlord - Mat "Hillary"
Other - Rob "Blue Yoshi"
The Invisible Man - Matt "talking_chicken"

We now have a FACEBOOK GROUP that we communicate more in that smashboards since it's a little more conveniant.

Shermanator

Smash Rookie
Directions now added!

Hey all! I have more information regarding the 'Uvic Smash Smashness'.

Time: Every Wednesday at 7:00

Location: University of Victoria, ECS 108 (Engineering/Computer Science Building)

Directions: Here is a mapquest for UVic. It is pretty easy to find. Don't pay attention to the star on that map.

Free parking is located on Cedar Hill X Road. The parking is on either side of the street inbetween Henderson Road and the entrance to Henderson Parks parking lot on Cedar Hill X. The Emmanuel Church is right beside the area you want to be parked in. Once you have parked look for this path. You will encounter three splits along the gravel path. On the first split go right. On the second split go left. On the third split go straight. There are one or two signs along the way to help point you in the right direction. At this point you are heading towards Ring Road. The path ends right at Ring Road and you can see ECS just on the other side. Head through the doors and I'm sure you can find the room we're in.

Both ECS and ELW can be easily accessed from Ring Road by car. If you are driving down Cedar Hill X Road you can turn left onto Henderson Road which becomes Ring Road. The first building on the left is ECS and there is an area infront for easy dropoff which cars can pull into but are not allowed to park. The second building is ELW which has metered parking. If you do not mind paying to park and want to be nearby feel free to park here. (Note: I parked there one night without paying and recieved a ticket at 11:00pm.)

Here is a 3D map of UVic that shows the path from Cedar Hill X Road quite well.

Here is an overhead map of UVic which also illustrates the previous point, but not quite as well.

Here is a link to the UVic bus routes. I am very unfamiliar with these. Hopefully you can use the above maps to locate where you are getting off and how to get to ECS from there.

Other Links:

Facebook group

Special Notes:

-Remember to bring a gamecube controller! Controllers will not be provided. If you do not have your own controller you can still come and see what you think. Some people will probably be nice enough to let you use their own for a few matches.

Come on by and join in the fun. Help to improve the smash community and skill base in the Greater Victoria region, meet new people and play smash. Hope to see you there!:laugh:

Contact - If you have questions regarding UVic Smash Smashness please direct them to my email: shermanr@uvic.ca

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Hi there, I'm the tag-less Matt from post 1. For those into the whole Facebook thing, I started a Facebook group so that we can use it to keep in contact, make group decisions, and post videos and stuff. If you have Facebook and are coming to this thing, search "Uvic smash smashness (naming tentative)" on Facebook and you'll find it. Come on down and have a good time. :)

Shermanator

Smash Rookie
Hey folks.

So far everything is going really well. We currently have at least five people showing up every week. The day of the week on which we meet might be changing soon to better accomadate people. Right now wednesday seems to clash with other activities for few of us.
We really have a good thing going here for everyone in Victoria. Please come check it out so that we can build up the Victoria smash community.

liverymen

Smash Apprentice
Yo, I'll try coming every wednesday that I don't work. If needed I can try to bring a TV/Wii. I'm glad that there are actually lower island smashers who advertise now ._.!!!

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for showing interest liverymen. We hope to have you on board.

Edit: livery....are you that gameandwatch player in brawl that knocked me out of brawl singles at the SFU tourney?

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
I saw a bit of that match. Wow, it would be great to have someone like you in our group then. Good to see Victoria's got plenty of smash talent! Hope to be able to play you soon.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
:) during april fools many words were switched.

melee & brawl
smash & halo

there were lots. It was very confusing... even character names were switched or changed to something completely different.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
So, whoever's up for some extra practice in the usual place on Friday before SFU6, post here or on the facebook group. Right now, all I have is Rob and I that can make it, if we can't guarantee more than two people then I don't really want to try.

We might consider a different location for that day depending on the availability of a room due to exams, but I'll try going a bit early to snag something.

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
Nice job at the tourny guys. Too bad you had to sandbag that last match Ros...or else you would have advanced further. We need a base camp for the next time...maybe someone can give us housing for the night once.

Rampage

vx
God ****it I would let all of you guys into my home(lol) but my mom just rented out the basement so now all I have is my dinky *** room >_> lol Maybe...Evan? He let livery in so maybe he'd let a few of you guys spend the night there :p

Lageno

Smash Rookie
I might come check this out one of the times you guys host the event on a friday. Wish there was something closer to Parksville/Nanaimo.

Lageno

Smash Rookie
Nanaimo, eh? Get in touch with Rob (Blue Yoshi on the boards). He's gonna be in Nanaimo all summer and I'm sure he'd like someone to play besides WiFi.
Nanoose Bay to be exact, I just say Nanaimo because people will always know that place. I'll be sure to throw him a PM at some point.

One more thing, is it cool with all you guys if I add you to friends on Brawl? I don't know if you ask permission to add friend codes on here or if you just go ahead if it's displayed under your avatar. Getting sick of playing the CPU : /

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. Us too. I rarely go on wifi (and by rarely I mean never) so if you do see me on, then that's a rare thing.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Nanoose Bay to be exact, I just say Nanaimo because people will always know that place. I'll be sure to throw him a PM at some point.

One more thing, is it cool with all you guys if I add you to friends on Brawl? I don't know if you ask permission to add friend codes on here or if you just go ahead if it's displayed under your avatar. Getting sick of playing the CPU : /
I'll add you if I remember, but I rarely go on wifi due to the lag. I rarely see anyone on wifi these days randomly anyway. I won't be at my own Wii for the next week anyway.

Lageno

Smash Rookie
I was hoping the lag wasn't that bad for 1 vs 1 with friend Brawls. I saw it was pretty awful for random people, but haven't tried over friends list yet. That's a shame, because it's pretty much unplayable with the 1/2 second or so of lag : /

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Nanoose bay? That's close to me. I live in the North end of Nanaimo. As for brawl codes, sure I'll trade mine with you. Just wondering... did you go (or still go) to highschool at Dover Bay? (some people from Lantzville and farther go to Dover). I'll be going to the school (probably on Wednesday) to say hi to all the teachers and old friends there and also to give my brawl code to some people.

Also, I'll be starting a Nanaimo/Lantzville and nearby thread on smashboards so that we can find people who live near us. Look out for it.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
I was hoping the lag wasn't that bad for 1 vs 1 with friend Brawls. I saw it was pretty awful for random people, but haven't tried over friends list yet. That's a shame, because it's pretty much unplayable with the 1/2 second or so of lag : /
It's actually not too bad. I got noticeable lag playing my brother on the mainland once, but I also played Rob recently when we were both in Victoria and it was barely noticeable. I think it just depends on people's internet connections as well. I think the biggest reason I stopped is just because every time I go online, no one else is there. Nowadays I just go on for the smash service stuff.

Though, when we play at UVic, we play on a projector as well as a TV, which I know the latter has input lag and I'm pretty sure the former does as well, so maybe I'm just used to it.

DaZe

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have any info on anything on some sort of regular basis in the Victoria/Esquimalt area on the weekends. I just moved out here and haven't had any real good smash since like January, but its hard for me to get out during the week right now.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have any info on anything on some sort of regular basis in the Victoria/Esquimalt area on the weekends. I just moved out here and haven't had any real good smash since like January, but its hard for me to get out during the week right now.
We don't really do much on weekends besides tournaments on the mainland when they arise, but there could always be exceptions here and there. For the most part, we do once a week Wednesday and sometimes Friday depending on the situation. Sorry, it's just Wednesday seems to be the day that works best for most of us (moreso than Fridays and weekends, for example, I can't always be on the island for weekends). I personally don't mind doing a Friday every once in a while, but once a week is usually enough for me to balance smash and the rest of my life right now.

Good to see there's more interest, though. I'd love to see the Victoria community keep growing.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
well, I finally got the Nanaimo / Central island thread up (the one I said I'd have up a month ago)... sorry, but I was very busy lately... ok maybe I had some time here and there I could have made it... Well, anyways, it's up now and good to go.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
I know it's an old topic, but it's our crew thread anyway...

First note: Smash meetings are currently not in effect. Keep reading as to why.

We're kinda in a dilemma right now, and we need Victoria's help. Specifically, we need UVic students' help.

Are you going to UVic this September? Do you like smash (doesn't matter if it's 64/Melee/Brawl, we have people that will play any of them)? The Victoria crew wants YOU!

Here's the deal: a few weeks ago, campus security busted our smash nights because apparently using lecture rooms to play smash violates UVic policy, and we can't go back without getting in trouble. Everyone here either lives far away, or just lives with other people they don't want to disturb, so we have no way of getting together to play. UVic was a great place for smash, and we lost that place. So we're trying to fix that.

We're trying to start an official smash club at UVic (or at least, competitive console gaming with a focus on SSB), recognized by the student's society. This way, not only do we get a room that we can rent, we can also rent TVs if need be, and possibly even get funding to host tournaments or travel to the mainland for SFU tournaments or something.

Here's the problem: our crew is made up of only a small number of UVic students (I think there may only be 3 or 4 there in September), and a few members outside of UVic. Basically, it's all the regulars in the first post, except me, since I won't be there in September, and maybe 1 or 2 more. We need 10 active members before we can even do anything, and two thirds of those people have to be UVic undergrads. We'll take people that aren't undergrads as well, but the priority is that we need UVic students.

Even though I won't be around to see the start of it (I'll be back in January), I'd love to see this come into fruition. I think it could be a huge community booster and maybe we can put Victoria on the map for a hot Smash location. I don't care how good you are at any of the games, but a drive to improve is always helpful. If you're interested, post here and possibly on our facebook group as well, since we use that a lot more than this thread, and let us know, because we need to get a member list going before we can even apply. Help build up the Victoria smash community!

FBM

Smash Apprentice
Me and my friend who doesn't come here are both UVic undergrads and Brawl players who would gladly sign up for a Smash club. I'm Matt and he's Patrick and we are both decent enough at Smash. Don't play Melee really (which I hear is the favourite of this crew), but I would be glad to come just for giggles.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
We really need to enter crews next chance we get and call ourselves Team There's Too Many Of Them or something like that. Seriously, there'd be four of us, including me.

Also, I know I said we play mostly Melee, but we do play Brawl sometimes. We don't hate Brawl or anything (seriously, check the crew's youtube profile in my sig - sure, the vids are a few months old, but there's almost no Melee there because that's what happens to get recorded), but we just play Melee more. It's fun, just more party game hang out with friends kind of fun.

FBM

Smash Apprentice
Ya, another Matt... >.> But I've gotten quite used to being called by nicknames over the years, so we can decide on something else I can answer to. :p

On the off chance that hitting the 10-person mark becomes an issue, both my girlfriend and my brother play Smash and I'm sure they'd gladly sign up. (both only play Brawl - she plays Peach religiously and is ok and he's as good as I if not a bit better) My girlfriend's a UVic alumni, but I suppose undergrads only really help. :urg:

And if we are playing 4-person games, I'll totally play Melee. I can't wavedash (I guess I can L-cancel cuz I used to be great at 64) but Smash is just such a great party game and playing with new people should be a blast.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
We don't play many FFAs, sometimes one or two to warm up at the start depending on who's around. We do have team battles occasionally if there are a ton of people and not many setups, though.

More people (especially students) is always a good thing. We need seven students at the minimum (thanks to things like loopholes, if we have too many non-students, they won't be members until we get more students), and I think we have it now, including you and Patrick, but we're gonna try and recruit more on UVic's club days just to be sure. Eight people lets us sign up all of our non-UVic regulars as well.

Wavedashing actually isn't that hard if you take a bit of time to learn it. I couldn't wavedash until maybe late last year when I started getting into competitive smash, and at first it was just learning the button commands and making sure I could at least do one, and then anytime between stocks, just practicing it. You'd get it in no time if you practice. Even if you can't/won't, it's not the end of the world. Mat (Hillary) can wavedash, but doesn't because he doesn't really have many uses for it (he plays Zelda, not Sheik, Zelda) and he's one of our best players easily.

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. Advanced techs are good to know if you use right, but if you don't use them right, then there's no point in doing them at all. Sure, I could LEARN how to use them right and such, but when it comes down to it, my hands can't move that fast on my controller anyways. I'm sure they could with practice, but meh. It all works out for me in the end.

chaindude

Smash Journeyman
woah....smash players in victoria??!? tho i dont go to Uvic i would love to come once and while if this gets back up

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
Right now we're in a position where we have to put non-uvic students, including me, ont a waiting list of sorts. Visit our facebook group and join it for more info and such

Tim_Dalton

Smash Cadet
hello everyone. my names tim but you can call me daltsy. i'll be attending uvic in september this year and play smash competitively. its nice to see victoria/uvic has a smash scene and im looking forward to meeting you all. i have another 1-2 friends that i'll be living with who play semi regularly who i should be able to get to come out, we'll see how that goes. im not very active on SWF, but i joined your guys facebook group, so hopefully you'll keep in touch with me for september <3<3

sadly i couldnt make the most recent sfu tournament because of work, but i heard you all played pretty well. how did it go for you guys?

Top Bottom