• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGD: Dr. Shrunk Says be Happy!!

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Yeah Falcon shouldn't be too tough. I face him too often in For Glory, and too often it's too easy. Just watch out for dash attacks before you summon a rocket. Sneaky dash attacks will frustrate you, causing you to play worse, so be strategic about your lloid placement and just let those slingshots go.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Which thread is it? I just looked through the board and just saw the threads i saw a while ago. But just link me to it and ill check it out
I meant we already have a matchup thread so this discussion for the Falcon MU should be moved right?

Jimray3

Smash Rookie
hello, can someone add me to the skype chat?
Name: jimray33
I main villager and I'd like to have some ppl who I can talk and play with :)

I meant we already have a matchup thread so this discussion for the Falcon MU should be moved right?
Ah, alright, well then I'll go ahead and move your post there since you seem to be cool with it. Though why not just make the post there in the first place? Edit: oh

hello, can someone add me to the skype chat?
Name: jimray33
I main villager and I'd like to have some ppl who I can talk and play with :)
Contact request sent!

Last edited:

Rayman!

Smash Cadet
NNID
mambur321
3DS FC
4122-5123-5521
Holy crap I just noticed Villager can disable Ness's PK Thunder with his slingshot, oh boy this is going to hurt a lot of Ness players, simply slingshot there PK Thunder while they are in the air offstage, its a automatic free kill, I randomly sling shotted a Ness's PKT and it worked.

Rayman!

Smash Cadet
NNID
mambur321
3DS FC
4122-5123-5521
Imagine if someone hacked the game...

and did moveset swaps

for Villager and Shulk....

(a quick and fast image I made)

Move this thread mods to where its supposed to go, not sure what this thread is for, but im serious, in the later year, someone is of course going to hack the games like they do every Nintendo game, I would be surprised if they actually found leaked stuff to other DLC characters

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
If you're close enough to slingshot it, just Pocket it instead. Much more amusing, and we can hit him with it later.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
oooh... i just found something fun to do with villager: on stages where the stage reaches all the way to the bottom of the blast zone. if you get spiked when your recovering close to the edge, di towards the stage and you can tech the wall at the bottom.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
oooh... i just found something fun to do with villager: on stages where the stage reaches all the way to the bottom of the blast zone. if you get spiked when your recovering close to the edge, di towards the stage and you can tech the wall at the bottom.
I survived a ganon dair at 150% like this :p

Missing SS (Sun Salutation) for WFT and hoarding (keeping an item in your pocket inventory so your opponent cant generate any more, such as ROBs gyro) for Villager imo
I've added 'SS', though I'd need further evidence that the word 'hoarding' has been accepted by the villager community. I hope you understand.
Well? Personally Ive just been pushing that cause I came up with it (and who doesnt do that?!) but instead lets all work on coming up with something we can all agree on!

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Uh the only other word I could think of would be "stashing". Hoarding does have a slight negative connotation to it, but I don't think it matters that much.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I think hoarding's a fine name for being mean and holding onto the other player's item.

This is pretty pointless for the most part, but I think Pocket has similar coding to Gravitational Pull. I had a match where the opposing Roy sent out a Mechakoopa then went to FSmash me. The Mechakoopa was behind him, I used Pocket, and right as it got to me it did the Mechakoopa thing where it propped the opponent up then exploded. I never actually Pocketed the item (I never threw it).

Not totally sure how this works; I went into trainitraining mode to see if I could get it to work for various items but none of them activated. I think a banana peel might if it was used by the opponent beforehand.

Something I'd like to test but lack the means to do so is to have Samus use her Dense Charge Shot, walk in front of it, then use Pocket. If it hits her, I'm probably right that it works like GP. If not, it's just a Mechakoopa quirk.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Random question, but I'm wondering how many of you villager mains are AC fanboys/girls. I have a habbit of maining characters from series that I like, and I just picked up New Leaf (my first AC game) and have been buried in it for hours.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I'm in what I like to call a AC cycle play it for s month drop it for awhile then pick it up again. I wouldn't be playing AC if it weren't for Villager.

Ive played both City Folk and New Leaf and sadly eventually dropped the games cause I lost interest. Mainly because I just couldnt find that one fossil needed to finish my museum, or missed a bug and it went out of season for a year, etc etc excuses ;_;

Still really fun games though!

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The irony is that the AC series is in some ways more stressful than regular adventure games. I'm only a couple of days in and I'm already stressing about what direction I'm going to take the town in. Also deciding what to buy and what to plant (and where) is really stressful too because you have to know the bigger picture well in advance.

Random question, what happens if you don't play your mayor character? I kind of wanted to just be a regular citizen. I figured I could make a mayor than make another citizen and just play the latter. Problem is I'm worried that if I don't play the mayor the town won't develop in any way. Is there any way to play the game as a citizen with an AI mayor?

For NL? AFAIK no, the mayor will always be a PC, so you need to play as the mayor when you want to enact ordinances, set up construction for services, etc. I don't quite remember if you need to play as the mayor "enough" to make certain mayor-related things become available so I'd recommend either reading up on it on the AC wiki or just playing mayor for a while!

Last edited:

MissingNumbers

Smash Cadet
NNID
MissingN
3DS FC
1048-8190-3701
Only recently came across this thread and I'm here to insert my input.
Honestly I've been finding the Villager as a blast to play with, and my initial love of his moveset came from a New Leaf background (my first AC experience was from emulating Wild World, but details). Sadly I grew tired of the games themselves, but his representation in Smash is still loads of fun to me. Rockets for mindgames and manipulation, slingshot for forcing them away from the stage, and the axe/tree combo for an overall strong attack. And I heard something about a Skype thread? Link me up, too: missingno21 is my account.

HeadofHudet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5259-5066-0804
I think hoarding's a fine name for being mean and holding onto the other player's item.

This is pretty pointless for the most part, but I think Pocket has similar coding to Gravitational Pull. I had a match where the opposing Roy sent out a Mechakoopa then went to FSmash me. The Mechakoopa was behind him, I used Pocket, and right as it got to me it did the Mechakoopa thing where it propped the opponent up then exploded. I never actually Pocketed the item (I never threw it).

Not totally sure how this works; I went into trainitraining mode to see if I could get it to work for various items but none of them activated. I think a banana peel might if it was used by the opponent beforehand.

Something I'd like to test but lack the means to do so is to have Samus use her Dense Charge Shot, walk in front of it, then use Pocket. If it hits her, I'm probably right that it works like GP. If not, it's just a Mechakoopa quirk.
That happened with me too, just yesterday. Diddy held a naner and was recovering when he got gimped by the pocket. I don't remember the situation clearly, but it was offstage and I'm not even sure if he released it during the pocket animation. He had his back towards me, so the naner went through him towards me and was enough to ruin his recovery. I never really pocketed the naner either, it just disappeared after hitting diddy.
Was the mechakoopa already out of the stage when this phenomenon happened? Because I thought it had something to do with an opponent releasing an item inside pocket's grab box at a point during the animation, so that only the windbox of the pocket affects the item.

Edit: out on* the stage. Not "of"

Last edited:

HeadofHudet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5259-5066-0804
This is where everyone makes their introductions or something, right? When I first saw Villager join smash, I thought he'd be garbage. Like how the **** is a bowling ball, a slow rocket, a tree, etc. etc. gonna be effective? It looked so casual to me. But then I tried him out in the demo and started respecting his moveset. From there I just loved how he countered bull**** with bull**** without as much as a frown or even a voice actor. He's a cold-blooded psycho killer and easily the character I feel most comfortable with, and I'm gonna try to help affecting his meta, if I can.

PS: His custom moves are so godlike. He is literally the only character who can legitimately plank, and I believe the crowd will be against us in the future, dear citizens.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
That happened with me too, just yesterday. Diddy held a naner and was recovering when he got gimped by the pocket. I don't remember the situation clearly, but it was offstage and I'm not even sure if he released it during the pocket animation. He had his back towards me, so the naner went through him towards me and was enough to ruin his recovery. I never really pocketed the naner either, it just disappeared after hitting diddy.
Was the mechakoopa already out of the stage when this phenomenon happened? Because I thought it had something to do with an opponent releasing an item inside pocket's grab box at a point during the animation, so that only the windbox of the pocket affects the item.

Edit: out on* the stage. Not "of"
Yeah, it was out on the stage and walking. It had walked toward the ledge and turned around, which is how it was behind Bowser Jr. while he FSmashed me. I was thinking about it more, and what probably happened was the Mechakoopa was under my control as soon as Pocket affected it and it just triggered when it his his FSmash hitbox.

I haven't played an Animal Crossing game since Wild World, though I wouldn't mind picking up the series again. After a certain point the games get a bit stale but they're entertaining while they last.

Only recently came across this thread and I'm here to insert my input.
Honestly I've been finding the Villager as a blast to play with, and my initial love of his moveset came from a New Leaf background (my first AC experience was from emulating Wild World, but details). Sadly I grew tired of the games themselves, but his representation in Smash is still loads of fun to me. Rockets for mindgames and manipulation, slingshot for forcing them away from the stage, and the axe/tree combo for an overall strong attack. And I heard something about a Skype thread? Link me up, too: missingno21 is my account.
Hey, and welcome to our Villager boards! Sadly I can't add you to the skype group atm since I don't have access to my computer for about a month. Somebody add this guy in for me yeah? Also, it might be a good idea to post here too!
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-town-map-villager-locator.374566/#post-18207585

Regarding @ Kofu Kofu 's theory, I too have been entertaining that, ever since I began compiling the Pocketable Items List. As far as I know, Gravitational Pull and Pocket have the same interaction pool. The only differences are that

-Gravitational Pull does not grant intangibility
-Gravitational Pull draws projectiles in in a spiral, while Pocket draws them in linearly. If a projectile is past Villager's hands, it loses momentum and goes straight to them. If the same thing were to happen with GP, and they had sufficient momentum, then they would behave like, well, an object trapped in anothers gravity. They will spiral. Objects without sufficient momentum will appear to travel linearly

What happened with the banana in @ HeadofHudet HeadofHudet 's post is to be expected if GP and Pocket really are mechanically similar. With GP, projectiles conserve their active hitboxes when being drawn in and circling Rosalina. That is probably also the case with Pocket. The banana had its hitbox active while travelling through the air under Pocket's influence. Since bananas disappear after I believe one or two uses, hitting Diddy counted toward its uses and depleted them. Thus, it disappeared.

I'll try and test stuff out too.

Also Hudet, you should post in the thread I linked too! Also also, please don't double post within less than 24 hours!

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I tortured a villager who recently moved in for like an hour by trapping her with holes and whacking her with my net to try get her to move out because she's rude.

What have I become

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
I've only played the original AC for Gamecube. Last time I played it, I started over, played it until I paid off my debt, immediately became very bored with it. Nothing against the games; I'd just rather be playing something else. I might try New Leaf one day if I have spare money. Who knows. What matters is that his character is awesome in Smash!

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
So, I finally got the game, and I've been playing it for a week and after trying all the characters, I have to say Villager is the one for me (alongside Duck Hunt). I also have other mains or secondaries like Robin and Pacman, but Villager, he is my main main. I just love playing with him, he is a very interesting character and I love his moveset, it makes it fun to play with and against to.
Still, I'm pretty new to him so I'm definitely going to check around here so I try to get better :) Also, I heard there is a Skype group for Villager mains? That sounds great!
Anyways, I'll see you guys around!

HeadofHudet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5259-5066-0804
The reason I like Villager is only because of his play style. I've never even touched the AC games, but Villager in smash has got many very good virtues, and has got an arsenal to deal with his weaknesses too (especially with customs). The way Villager camps is less because of the extra damage that'll be dealt to the opponent in safe ways during neutral, but more about limiting the options for the opponent in every kind of situations, and in that way find many good punishes that leads to a bittersweet momentum or kill. Also got a decent boxing game and oos options, despite having such a horrible grab. And of course the off-stage control. Mmm.

Also, also, also @ Indigo Jeans Indigo Jeans . I think that if the pocketed items were meant to have active hitboxes once pocketed, it'd be much more commonly known to happen. I mean... I kinda doubt that pocketing megaman's fully charged fsmash from behind will guarantee a hit. I'm guessing that the pocket in itself can misfire of some kind... but exactly how I'm not sure. Maybe it's a glitch, even.
Sorry about the double post, by the way! Will remember it from now on.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I still play Animal Crossing! But because I play it so much there are some things that seem a little weird about Villager's moveset but also some things I feel like were done great.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Rremember how I said I wouldn't mind getting one of the new Animal Crossing game. Well, today I got New Leaf as an unexpected present. My vllager has the face of the one wearing the yellow and black striped shirt in Sm4sh, so I may have to use that palette more. Normally I just use the default.

My Villager in New Leaf has the bottom-lashes, so it's a convenient justification for my use of turnip dress in smash.

What fruit does your town have?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Cherries. I'd rather have something else, mainly because I'm not a fan of cherries in real life (the extra bells that non-default fruit fetches are nice too).

Did you get New Leaf today or did you have it before?

Last edited:
I got New Leaf around a year after release, ha ha.

As for my fruit, I got oranges. I didn't bring the cart with me on my trip, but when I get back I can give you a basket of them so you can get a nice flow of bells going. I think non-native fruit goes for like 500 bells each, so a basket would be worth 1500 bells

Also cherries are good you craze

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Merry late Christmas guys! Wouldn't it be cool if Villager could plant a Christmas tree and chop it down?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I got New Leaf around a year after release, ha ha.

As for my fruit, I got oranges. I didn't bring the cart with me on my trip, but when I get back I can give you a basket of them so you can get a nice flow of bells going. I think non-native fruit goes for like 500 bells each, so a basket would be worth 1500 bells

Also cherries are good you craze
TBH when I asked you if you got it yesterday I didn't realize it came out in 2012. I wouldn't have asked if I had realized that, haha.

Top Bottom