• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGD: Dr. Shrunk Says be Happy!!

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
How is everybody liking Lucas so far? I see a lot of Villager mains posting in that forum.

I feel really at home with him. Aerial based like Villager, but capable of some amazing combos and techs.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
does anyone have a spare axe to let me borrow?
acnl ofc

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Lucas is meh imo. I don't see where everyone's getting the idea that he's like A+ tier or on par with Ness. If there are really good reasons, please let me know. And he's not really fun to play for me anyway. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind one day.

Roy's mah boi dough, js.

Myed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
13sora
3DS FC
1306-7973-7040
does anyone have a spare axe to let me borrow?
acnl ofc
Indeed i do. Message me back when youre ready for me to visit and drop it off.

Lucas is meh imo. I don't see where everyone's getting the idea that he's like A+ tier or on par with Ness. If there are really good reasons, please let me know. And he's not really fun to play for me anyway. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind one day.

Roy's mah boi dough, js.
Better aerials that can actually hit below him, better specials (Freeze is much easier to hit than Flash, both the fires are preference, lucas' better for zoning, ness' better for grab setups, Magnet is a kill move and stops any 'bait out the magnet and approach play', and thunder gimps and is a less gimpable recovery), has a tether grab, making for a more reliable recovery than thunder, a thunder that recovers past blastzones, ez bake kill setups from grab (dthrow to upair, and dthrow sends them into so much hitstun its almost impossible not to get the upair) that kill ~the same as ness' bthrow (depending on if the vertical blastzone is closer/more farther away from horizontal), dthrow combos in general (so much hitstun that you can combo at any %, unlike ness' which dthrow>fair combo stops working at mid %s), better zoning than Ness with zair and pkfire, actual spikes, etc.

Once you accept that hes not a Ness clone and stop playing him as such, hes actually p. gud.

Edit: That was probably confusing. I do think Lucas is slightly better than Ness, but both are overrated. right now all the top tiers just have more options available to them, Ness' approach game is okay at best, his projectiles have highend lag, and his non-b throw kill options are predictable and punishable. Still not ****, but not a+ tier like everyone else makes him out to be.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Indeed i do. Message me back when youre ready for me to visit and drop it off.

Better aerials that can actually hit below him, better specials (Freeze is much easier to hit than Flash, both the fires are preference, lucas' better for zoning, ness' better for grab setups, Magnet is a kill move and stops any 'bait out the magnet and approach play', and thunder gimps and is a less gimpable recovery), has a tether grab, making for a more reliable recovery than thunder, a thunder that recovers past blastzones, ez bake kill setups from grab (dthrow to upair, and dthrow sends them into so much hitstun its almost impossible not to get the upair) that kill ~the same as ness' bthrow (depending on if the vertical blastzone is closer/more farther away from horizontal), dthrow combos in general (so much hitstun that you can combo at any %, unlike ness' which dthrow>fair combo stops working at mid %s), better zoning than Ness with zair and pkfire, actual spikes, etc.

Once you accept that hes not a Ness clone and stop playing him as such, hes actually p. gud.
oh im here now!

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
I don't see a lot of people putting Lucas on the same footing as Ness. He lacks the straightforeward powerful options that Ness has and makes up for it by having a great combo game and being more versatile. I really feel like from a balance/design point of view that Lucas is the better of the two.

If Nesses Bthrow got nerfed to sane levels i would put the two of them very close to even on a tier list, but that option let's Ness reliably kill (and gets set up for this from his pkfire) 20-30% or so earlier than Lucas making him quite a lot better in the long run. I don't know where Lucas will end up in the tier list but i don't see any way that he could surpass Ness.

I find Lucas loads more fun to play than Ness mostly because i feel like I'm thinking more with him rather than just looking for a chance to use my few powerful options, but everyone has their preferance.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I don't see a lot of people putting Lucas on the same footing as Ness. He lacks the straightforeward powerful options that Ness has and makes up for it by having a great combo game and being more versatile. I really feel like from a balance/design point of view that Lucas is the better of the two.

If Nesses Bthrow got nerfed to sane levels i would put the two of them very close to even on a tier list, but that option let's Ness reliably kill (and gets set up for this from his pkfire) 20-30% or so earlier than Lucas making him quite a lot better in the long run. I don't know where Lucas will end up in the tier list but i don't see any way that he could surpass Ness.

I find Lucas loads more fun to play than Ness mostly because i feel like I'm thinking more with him rather than just looking for a chance to use my few powerful options, but everyone has their preferance.
Ness's backthrow will never be nerfed, and his grab is easy to avoid.

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
That just gives up stage control, puts your back to the edge of the stage, and puts you in a loosing position anyway. Most characters don't have the toolset to play a good keep away game anyway.

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
That just gives up stage control, puts your back to the edge of the stage, and puts you in a loosing position anyway. Most characters don't have the toolset to play a good keep away game anyway.
Then pick a counterpick against Ness, or try to avoid getting too close to Ness.

It's not that hard.

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
Ok, i think we both made our points and i really don't want to clutter up this thread.

Btw anchortea is that one of the huge k.k. plushies in your avatar? I have one of the small ones with him sitting on a log.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Ok, i think we both made our points and i really don't want to clutter up this thread.

Btw anchortea is that one of the huge k.k. plushies in your avatar? I have one of the small ones with him sitting on a log.
K.K. Slider is my one and only.

Yes btw.

Last edited:

Myed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
13sora
3DS FC
1306-7973-7040

@ Antonykun Antonykun
No I didnt leave your new shirt out in the middle of a thunderstorm i dont know what youre talking about.

Also, Ness does have a couple of kill moves, yes, but he struggles in approaching, his neutral is lacking, and his recovery is laughably gimpable.

And B-throw killed at 90% at ledges since 64, and its remained that good in every game since. 16ish years without a nerf and i doubt thatll change.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
for the record losing space against ness isn't too bad if you are at a percent where back throw would not kill with you behind the edge like that

@ Antonykun Antonykun
No I didnt leave your new shirt out in the middle of a thunderstorm i dont know what youre talking about.

Also, Ness does have a couple of kill moves, yes, but he struggles in approaching, his neutral is lacking, and his recovery is laughably gimpable.

And B-throw killed at 90% at ledges since 64, and its remained that good in every game since. 16ish years without a nerf and i doubt thatll change.

uh give me some time i want to get a bunch of fruits you don't have probably

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
Anyone want to spar? I want to keep practicing Villager.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Man poor Shaky and MJG for getting cheesed in Smash 4 Doubles Grand Finals. What an anti-hype set.

Ah well, hopefully they perform really well in singles.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
hmm is it alright if i make daily post about my ACNL playthrough?

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Shiek Up-B fills two bars of G&W's bucket. This combinaton stole the show, as shieks up-b is relatively safe and made for easy bucket setups.

Also, @ Antonykun Antonykun Your bloody anteater moved in just as my dream villager was at the campsite. Why you gotta do this to me man :c
Also because Sheik's up-b is so strong, G&W's Oil Spill attack is a OHKO almost every time, AND is a true combo out of down throw until like 60% or something. It's ridiculous. MJG and Shaky were beating them(Mr. R and Anti) until they started using that strategy.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Shiek Up-B fills two bars of G&W's bucket. This combinaton stole the show, as shieks up-b is relatively safe and made for easy bucket setups.

Also, @ Antonykun Antonykun Your bloody anteater moved in just as my dream villager was at the campsite. Why you gotta do this to me man :c
Oh god I thought I was finally done with her.
D:

Myed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
13sora
3DS FC
1306-7973-7040
Also because Sheik's up-b is so strong, G&W's Oil Spill attack is a OHKO almost every time, AND is a true combo out of down throw until like 60% or something. It's ridiculous. MJG and Shaky were beating them(Mr. R and Anti) until they started using that strategy.
Its the same problems back when pikachu and G&W were dominating the 3ds scene, and my answer is the same. Cap damage done by teammates to only one bar of the bucket, akin to brawl. Also maybe make it count as a projectile that can be reflected/pocketed. This way, he still has a powerful tool against energy users/shiek, and doubles would take as long to set it up as Villager teams to set up an instakill pocketed tree. We really dont need to be nerfing bottom tiers like G&W more than necessary.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I'd love that!
View attachment 58764
TBH for my birthday i was expecting my party to be of Camofrog/Freckles/filler but then i remember Jay has BAN*ZELDA and Erik has ZeldaSucks so in otherwords this thread is invading my other games
View attachment 58766 View attachment 58765
hey NL gorls @Spritzee @BJN39 do you know any good pants to fit with my look?
I'm curious if you people would like me to turn this thread into my personal ACNL blog?
^prototype i made yesterday

Top Bottom