• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGD: Dr. Shrunk Says be Happy!!

Wonderf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wonderf
3DS FC
5172-2136-8763
Don't you love it when you are at 30% and a Falcon spikes you with U-tilt...and you survive
then when you're are recovering he Bairs you into the side of the stage...and you survive

Also what do people think about lliod rocket (person shields) grab?
I've been playing around with it and I don't know what to think, any advice?

Last edited:

bakku-shann

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3540-2113-5104
villager doesnt have the best throws, but if you catch him with it near the edge f-throw and proceed to edgeguard them to death.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
His throws are really good for general positioning, except for down throw, which is just bad. Even up throw is better because then you can frame trap them with up airs and nairs as a follow up.

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
villager doesnt have the best throws, but if you catch him with it near the edge f-throw and proceed to edgeguard them to death.
Okay, no.

Villager's back throw is one of his best kill moves and is one of the most lethal throws in the game, barring Ness of course. But before I start ranting about him...

In addition to being his most powerful throw, it also does the most damage. None of Villager's other throws combo into anything and his forward throw has a fixed knockback that prevents you from reliably following up against any opponent who knows how Villager works. You can't even set up a good gyroid or start a tree like the back throw will give you distance for.

You probably can get a f-air combo off a down throw (only at very low percents), but the down throw does literally 4 damage, as opposed to the back's 11-12. If you attempt that combo, even if you succeed you haven't done any extra damage and you gave up the back throw's follow-up options.

I'm iffy on forward throws even on the edge of the stage. The back throw will get me a little more damage, a gyroid, and a tree, even if it keeps the opponent onstage. That's a big payout, and anyone who lands a Villager grab deserves at least that.

Last edited:

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Okay, no.

Villager's back throw is one of his best kill moves and is one of the most lethal throws in the game, barring Ness of course. But before I start ranting about him...

In addition to being his most powerful throw, it also does the most damage. None of Villager's other throws combo into anything and his forward throw has a fixed knockback that prevents you from reliably following up against any opponent who knows how Villager works. You can't even set up a good gyroid or start a tree like the back throw will give you distance for.

You probably can get a f-air combo off a down throw (only at very low percents), but the down throw does literally 4 damage, as opposed to the back's 11-12. If you attempt that combo, even if you succeed you haven't done any extra damage and you gave up the back throw's follow-up options.

I'm iffy on forward throws even on the edge of the stage. The back throw will get me a little more damage, a gyroid, and a tree, even if it keeps the opponent onstage. That's a big payout, and anyone who lands a Villager grab deserves at least that.
The thing is, if you use back throw that much, then chances are it'll be stale by the time you wanna use it as a kill throw. I think fthrow is a solid choice, along with uthrow. After seeing Ranai opt for uthrow and then proceed to get a bunch of turnip damage, I've been convinced that dthrow is never worth using.

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
The thing is, if you use back throw that much, then chances are it'll be stale by the time you wanna use it as a kill throw. I think fthrow is a solid choice, along with uthrow. After seeing Ranai opt for uthrow and then proceed to get a bunch of turnip damage, I've been convinced that dthrow is never worth using.
The stale move queue has ten spots, and for Villager those will pretty much always be filled by slingshots, gyroids and n-airs. I'd say don't let it bother you.

As for the up throw thing, I'll try that sometime. I love turnip juggling. It's wonderful.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I dunno, we gatta experiment! Pac-Man's bell has an electric/stun property, so maybe we can test this with Zamus shooting one of our balloons with a paralyzer or something... Hmm...this and gyroid breaking...Villager has some interesting tech when zapped, huh?

Sonsa

Smash Champion
@ Sonsa Sonsa you're gonna like this...

Ehee, I do! Tetra's relevant again and again! Just when I think she's gone for good, Phantom Hourglass, files found in Brawl, Windwaker HD, now this! And it's ganna force people to imagine what she can do and realize some of her potential! Oooh, I really wish more people saw her potential, but Tetra hasn't done a whole lot of fighting in Link's adventure so people usually don't think about it, but Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, and many more never fought that much either!
I think she could be super popular in the ballot if people just knew what they were missing so I hope this helps, and, it shouuuld, it's making her relevant again... I suppose this can only be a good thing!

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I voted for Monster Hunter.
Oh, cool, good luck! Anyone should vote honestly for who they want, which is why I chose Tetra instead of someone I wouldn't mind seeing and is likely more likely, like Inkling. But um... think I gatta warn ya that Capcom wanted to put a Monster Hunter in Marvel vs Capcom 3 and the Monster Hunter people denied cause they don't want the hunters to be in other games cause they fear they'll become less of avatars and make the Monster Hunter games feel lamer and less immersive. But hey, maybe they've changed their minds by now or somethin.

Myed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
13sora
3DS FC
1306-7973-7040
Oh, cool, good luck! Anyone should vote honestly for who they want, which is why I chose Tetra instead of someone I wouldn't mind seeing and is likely more likely, like Inkling. But um... think I gatta warn ya that Capcom wanted to put a Monster Hunter in Marvel vs Capcom 3 and the Monster Hunter people denied cause they don't want the hunters to be in other games cause they fear they'll become less of avatars and make the Monster Hunter games feel lamer and less immersive. But hey, maybe they've changed their minds by now or somethin.
To be fair, smash does have that 'the characters play like they do in their games' philosophy which may help with that.

I voted for Porky. Hes big, he has a unique moveset as Brawl proved, he's the overarching villain of not one but two games, and it would give an excuse to bring the New Pork City stage back. His canon height/width's about twice the size of lucas aka around Bowsers proportions, but SSE scaled him up big, so Emissary's canon will probably override the originals. But hey, i can dream.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
To be fair, smash does have that 'the characters play like they do in their games' philosophy which may help with that.

I voted for Porky. Hes big, he has a unique moveset as Brawl proved, he's the overarching villain of not one but two games, and it would give an excuse to bring the New Pork City stage back. His canon height/width's about twice the size of lucas aka around Bowsers proportions, but SSE scaled him up big, so Emissary's canon will probably override the originals. But hey, i can dream.
Porky could be fun! But I think on the 14th we'll learn that a lot of stages besides the Miiverse one including New Pork City (that could be awesome with 8 Player smash) will be in the following update. Found out this direct thing is happening (during my flight :( poor me) and then about an hour later, Lucas and everything is live!

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
Would you guys be interested in having a thread in which we weekly analyze gameplay from Pro Villagers (Ranai, P-1, Zee) and breakdown their play and style. Hopefully, this will help us learn from them, their techniques and how to apply them?

@Indigo Jeans Do you think (or do you mind if) we can do a thread a week, maybe analyze two replays per thread every week? Would that be fine with you?

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Would you guys be interested in having a thread in which we weekly analyze gameplay from Pro Villagers (Ranai, P-1, Zee) and breakdown their play and style. Hopefully, this will help us learn from them, their techniques and how to apply them?

@Indigo Jeans Do you think (or do you mind if) we can do a thread a week, maybe analyze two replays per thread every week? Would that be fine with you?
Video thread tho

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
oh yeah i forgot to say i have New Leaf but i have no idea how multiplayer works so :/

Whitepikmin

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2836-0727-3260
I just joined smashboards recently and I am not entirely familiar with it. I am obsessed with villager and really want meet other villager mains and battle on 3ds. I like doing unique stuff with villager and have been testing out an extremely grabby villager.

Whitepikmin

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2836-0727-3260
If anyone wants to battle my villager, my 3ds friend code should be on my profile if I am not mistaken. Note my brother and I share the 3ds so if you see a greninja or pikachu that is my brother.
Also I am thinking about hosting an online 3ds villagers only tournament. Anyone interested?

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
@ Sonsa Sonsa may have beat me in Splatoon, but she can't beat me in Smash! (I beat her three times in a row btw)

You're very welcome @ Mr.Sile Mr.Sile

Last edited:

AusGremlinBoy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AussieGremlinBoy
3DS FC
1934-1768-8886
Anyone wanna have a spar with me? I actually don't know how good i am in contrast with good players.

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
@ Sonsa Sonsa may have beat me in Splatoon, but she can't beat me in Smash! (I beat her three times in a row btw)

You're very welcome @ Mr.Sile Mr.Sile
Heeyy, I've been trying to beat Sonsa for a while now. I don't know how I can get past his creativity.

By the way, If you still have the replays, you can go to reddit.com/r/Smash4Replay and have someone turn your replays into video. That's how I get mine.

Back on topic, I just can't get past @ Sonsa Sonsa 's creative play for some reason. However, watching Ranai's videos has helped me learn a few things so that will be useful.

Oh and about the breakdown thread, the video thread is inactive and some people might not see it.

Still waiting for @Indigo Jeans 's go ahead.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Heeyy, I've been trying to beat Sonsa for a while now. I don't know how I can get past her creativity.

By the way, If you still have the replays, you can go to reddit.com/r/Smash4Replay and have someone turn your replays into video. That's how I get mine.

Back on topic, I just can't get past @ Sonsa Sonsa 's creative play for some reason. However, watching Ranai's videos has helped me learn a few things so that will be useful.

Oh and about the breakdown, the video thread is inactive and some people might not see it.

ftfy

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Heeyy, I've been trying to beat Sonsa for a while now. I don't know how I can get past her creativity.

Oh and about the breakdown, the video thread is inactive and some people might not see it.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
halp its been weeks and i don't have a rugby shirt in New Leaf T.T

Myed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
13sora
3DS FC
1306-7973-7040
halp its been weeks and i don't have a rugby shirt in New Leaf T.T
Sadly, i dont have it in my catalogue, but ill keep an eye out for you. Are you missing any fruit?

Also, careful of double posts, @ Whitepikmin Whitepikmin and @ AusGremlinBoy AusGremlinBoy . If you have something else to say, just edit your previous post instead of making two in a row. This prevents all the double/tripleposts from cluttering up the page.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Sadly, i dont have it in my catalogue, but ill keep an eye out for you. Are you missing any fruit?

Also, careful of double posts, @ Whitepikmin Whitepikmin and @ AusGremlinBoy AusGremlinBoy . If you have something else to say, just edit your previous post instead of making two in a row. This prevents all the double/tripleposts from cluttering up the page.
i think I'm missing cherries peaches one more village fruit that isn't orange and apples
and for island fruit i only have durians coconuts mangoes lemons and bananas (unless that's all of them)

Top Bottom