• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGD: Dr. Shrunk Says be Happy!!

Veggi

Smash Champion
If I had to guess why Villager doesn't seem super popular, it would be because he isn't exactly a pre-established character. I'm also interested in playing Rosalina, so I know what goes on at their boards, I just like this board more. Anyway, in the Rosalina boards they like to talk about other games that Rosalina was in, her personality, and discussing every physical characteristic of hers extremely specifically in relation to both Mario characters and every Smash character. Mario Kart 8 and 3D World are both pretty new games so they have something to talk about. Rosalina and Villager both have bizarre play styles, but Rosalina fans are SUPER intense with love for their character. I think that most people here are more in love with what Villager represents more so than the character itself, like I am.

I'm surprised people aren't visiting each other's towns like crazy though. :p

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I love it when I main an unpopular character because people really don't know what to expect from you. It's really satisfying to see somebody think that because your character is unpopular they're going to suck, and then completely whooping their asses. Villager only adds to this with his innocent appearance and his trolling taunts.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I might understand that though, in fact after seeing Robin (who also wasn't kind of "pre-established" character), I keep seeing Smash 4 filled with some of 'em now. (-l^l-);

Villager I guess I like because he looks so much like a reflection of my youth. I dunno but I can just feel that innocence and child-like curiosity in him. Also the AC-games I got into like few years ago that were huge time sinks...

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
So for those who are familiarized with Animal Crossing, which music you want to see in Smash 4? I am hoping one of these tracks from New Leaf is the second music for Tortirmer Island in the 3DS version:

Veggi

Smash Champion

I feel like this song in particular would only feel appropriate at night. Maybe if I look hard enough I can find some songs that would be better to play Smash to.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
@ Reila Reila
Gosh.... Now that we have the title theme from the first AC, it's hard to beat that. ^~^

These are the two I have:
Consequentially, I enjoy "Forest Life" and have that playing in my basement.

Preferably without singing. It also doubles as the Hippie battle music from Mother, though since it's based off Johnny B Goode it's hard to say if it will happen.

Edit - Forgot this one.
It's so ****ing kawaii.

Last edited:

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
You know, at first, I HATED the idea of Villager or some other Animal Crossing character being in the game.

Now he's the newcomer I'm most likely to main. Funny how that happened.

Hong

The Strongest
Sakurai came to the village to ask for a newcomer for Smash Bros....

Villager volunteered.

Not to save his village from harm, but to save the rest of the Smash roster from... from this!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I was indifferent towards the idea of Tom Nook or any AC character being in Smash, until I played New Leaf in 2013. That game... is something else. I played it so much and loved almost every second (I miss my town ;_;), so when Villager was announced in the E3 past year, was really happy to see him in the game (although back then I really didn't give much attention to Villager or Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man was all that mattered to me :p).

Brong

Smash Rookie

I'm interested in using the Female Villager on the far left. Just something about being able to kill someone with that face just seems so.... satisfying.

Although the Villager's fair and bair aren't the greatest, tree and gyroid combos seem like an interesting possibility.

Hong

The Strongest
Although the Villager's fair and bair aren't the greatest, tree and gyroid combos seem like an interesting possibility.
Really? I'd be so bold as to say it is the best fair and bair in the game, just a little unorthodox.

Brong

Smash Rookie
Really? I'd be so bold as to say it is the best fair and bair in the game, just a little unorthodox.
Well, it's got good range, but I' think there may be some better ones. Although we won't know for sure until the game comes out.

Hong

The Strongest
Does anybody happen to know what the Villager's neutral air attack is?
She flops around in the air, sort of like a cartwheel. Think Lucas's nair, only without the psychic sparks and a single hit instead.

TR33

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pandaguy719
I don't know if this happened for anyone else, but I remember long long ago before smash 4 was even revealed and brawl was still the latest installment I wanted a villager-esque character from animal crossing. I remember theory crafting and throwing ideas at my fellow smashers about how he could use his [or her] fishing rod as like a tether recovery, and how they could use variable tools to fit multiple functions. Then above else I remember being shot down hard and fast, I don't know if villager was only out of left field over here but for me this was a gift from out of no where, so here's just a moment from me to appreciate the inclusion of the little smasher.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
guys stop posting animal crossing music

your making me want to play new leaf again but i can't

:(

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Why can't you, out of curiousity?

By the way, do any of you guys know where I could find some Smash Bros town tunes for New Leaf?
i stopped playing when this summer started because it was sorta an addiction

i put in WAAAY to much hours in the game and reset so much over like one little thing

Hong

The Strongest
By the way, do any of you guys know where I could find some Smash Bros town tunes for New Leaf?
You can go here and type "Smash Bros" into the search field. A lot of just the Brawl theme, unfortunately. You can also find a lot of them on YouTube, which is nice because then you can hear it beforehand.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Ah, so basically you did what my aunt should do. And what kind of Animal a Crossing game isn't addictive? :p
Your aunt plays Animal Crossing?

wat omg

Also, I'd say that City Folk was one of the worst Animal Crossing games. It didn't really show off anything new, so I played it for like 6 months and just was done. Population Growing, however.... I want my seven years back.

:4villager:

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
You can go here and type "Smash Bros" into the search field. A lot of just the Brawl theme, unfortunately. You can also find a lot of them on YouTube, which is nice because then you can hear it beforehand.
Thank you!

Your aunt plays Animal Crossing?

wat omg

Also, I'd say that City Folk was one of the worst Animal Crossing games. It didn't really show off anything new, so I played it for like 6 months and just was done. Population Growing, however.... I want my seven years back.

:4villager:
She does, actually. I get most of my stuff from her superior catalogue.

I liked City Folk. I have no clue what happened to my game though. I'd have to restart it on my WiiU anyway- the Wii it was on won't read discs anymore.

The grass wear, however...

Hong

The Strongest
Is it so odd? :b

I mean, last I was in college, a fair number of the instructors are quite a bit older than I, and I would StreetPass them all the time. Animal Crossing has one of the most diverse appeals out of any active Nintendo franchise, especially with the fall of Wii Sports.

Granted, this is Japan and the folks above above 35 are a minority, but remarkably higher than most products. Interestingly enough, beyond the initial rush of first-week buyers, it appeals the least to the most typical gaming demography that people usually market to, that being males 15-21.

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344
I'm looking forward to maining Villager right now. Of course, I've switched planned mains a couple times, I always seem to come back to Villager.

Anyone else here planning to get the 3ds version of the game?

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
I didn't actually decide who I wanted to try maining until last month. As you can see in my sig, Villager is one of them. He just looks so adorable and awesome :roll:

And I'm hopefully getting the 3ds version at launch on the 3. I'm not waiting for Christmas, at the very least.

Booigi1010

Smash Rookie
I really like what they did with Villager. All the unique moves from the multiple different things he actually does in Animal Crossing being portrayed in Smash is awesome. And yeah, I pre-ordered Smash 3DS. But I'm guessing the line to pick it up will be out the door and down a few...miles.

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344
I really like what they did with Villager. All the unique moves from the multiple different things he actually does in Animal Crossing being portrayed in Smash is awesome. And yeah, I pre-ordered Smash 3DS. But I'm guessing the line to pick it up will be out the door and down a few...miles.
Lines mean there'll be people willing to play some local games right there. When X and Y launched, there was maybe 5 people there when the store opened and we just went to a nearby cafe and played.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Been working on my town now like crazy. I try to now get it looking like your average good Dream Town visit. Currently been mapping paths and collecting PWPs through the diving trick (google it up). I also received Zucker as my new villager through campsite visit... and I have already Whitney.

Still looking so forward to Villager so much.

Last edited:

Booigi1010

Smash Rookie
Been working on my town now like crazy. I try to now get it looking like your average good Dream Town visit. Currently been mapping paths and collecting PWPs through the diving trick (google it up). I also received Zucker as my new villager through campsite visit... and I have already Whitney.

Still looking so forward to Villager so much.
Well that's pretty good. I say my town is still pretty bad looking, I try to make it cool though. I go to Isabelle constantly and she's like "Moar public work projects pls" and I'm like great so I place the weirdest things in the weirdest places. I am obviously not seeing a Golden Watering Can in my future.

Hong

The Strongest
T~T I haven't played for weeks.

I was just so sick of people moving in and building on-top of all my hard work. Two villagers moved in by my home, one of them destroying my bamboo fence.

IMO it was a huge mistake to have that in a game where customization of your town is such a huge deal. New Leaf's selling point compared to its predecessors is that you, the mayor, are in control. Between Isabelle having to follow me around and babysit me with a number of stupid limitations whenever I want to build something, not being able to move certain things, and of course the randomization algorithm for how villagers move in, I feel like control is being taken away from me at times.

The PWP system is cool, but needs a lot of work:
1) Instead of having to drag Isabelle around, just let us use a "workshop" or something, and use the bottom screen to drag and drop PWPs

2) Using the system above, let us move around stuff after we have built it

3) Instead of people just moving in where they please, let the player build "Residential Spots", which are basically plots of land where people move onto, and remain after they have moved out

Booigi1010

Smash Rookie
T~T I haven't played for weeks.

I was just so sick of people moving in and building on-top of all my hard work. Two villagers moved in by my home, one of them destroying my bamboo fence.

IMO it was a huge mistake to have that in a game where customization of your town is such a huge deal. New Leaf's selling point compared to its predecessors is that you, the mayor, are in control. Between Isabelle having to follow me around and babysit me with a number of stupid limitations whenever I want to build something, not being able to move certain things, and of course the randomization algorithm for how villagers move in, I feel like control is being taken away from me at times.

The PWP system is cool, but needs a lot of work:
1) Instead of having to drag Isabelle around, just let us use a "workshop" or something, and use the bottom screen to drag and drop PWPs

2) Using the system above, let us move around stuff after we have built it

3) Instead of people just moving in where they please, let the player build "Residential Spots", which are basically plots of land where people move onto, and remain after they have moved out
Oh my, yes the villagers moving in wherever they want bugs me so much. I had a nice open area around my house to myself, but nope somebody moves in like right in front of me and destroys some flowers. Gee, thanks.

But I agree, I would much rather move stuff around freely than have Isabelle run up to it and destroy it, then cost me another 200,000 bells.

Hong

The Strongest
Oh geez. And when I placed my 3 bridges I reconsidered the placement of them because I am still unsure of which is a better shortcut around my lake area.
I think what gets me is you can't build a bridge "close to a resident's home", even though they can be so far away. I want to replace a bridge I've had since the week of release, but the villager just won't leave me alone and has been around for over a year. T~T If I try to replace the bridge, it won't let me because she is too close to it.

Also, just to throw this out there, everyone is encouraged to post their dream addresses if they want someone to come over and give an opinion on things, or just to check out your town.

Booigi1010

Smash Rookie
I think what gets me is you can't build a bridge "close to a resident's home", even though they can be so far away. I want to replace a bridge I've had since the week of release, but the villager just won't leave me alone and has been around for over a year. T~T If I try to replace the bridge, it won't let me because she is too close to it.
You should constantly hit that villager in the head with the net. Maybe they'll get mad enough to move away, then you can change the bridge location. Or go to Isabelle and say problematic citizens and choose them for being annoying.

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
You should constantly hit that villager in the head with the net. Maybe they'll get mad enough to move away, then you can change the bridge location. Or go to Isabelle and say problematic citizens and choose them for being annoying.
I don't think that actually works, unfortunately.

I really need to check on my town... I am really bad at that.

Hong

The Strongest
Indeed. There is nothing you can do to forcibly make a villager leave.

The best action is inaction; if they plan to move out and you talk to them, it could cause them to stay.

Top Bottom