• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Veteran characters in Smash 4 will have new moves

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/...os-4-regarding-new-characters-and-techniques/

Nice. I'm actually looking forward to seeing reworked characters.

EDIT: Link to blog: http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

EDIT2: Link to Zelda Informer, which explains the article much better: http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comments/report-veteran-smashers-will-have-new-moves

Also a link from Sakurai's blog showing Ken from Street Fighter doing some moves with hitbox's displayed: http://twitpic.com/5zqsvd

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
This was posted days ago, so far we have no confirmation. I've known this site to take liberties like that and just interpret things the way they want. As of now this is false. No other major site has reported it like this.

:phone:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
This is just an interpretation. Unfortunately, this interpretation has spread on over to EventHubs so expect a lot of **** to happen.

That being said, characters have changed between sequels. However, we have never really seen any "revamps" or major changes that weren't a result of the engine.

deuxhero

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to say it will work with the customization Sakurai has mentioned in the past: The ability to replace moves with entirely different ones.

For example, you could give Mario FLUDD or Mario Tornado as his down b.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I really saw this comments (that Sakurai will bring new moveset to older chacacters) in the past somewhere.
This will be really cool, it will fell like every chacacter is a new one!

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
If this proves to be true I would be interested, characters have always been slightly tweaked between Smash titles but if some Veterans got a full revamp I would be overjoyed. Mario getting a Galaxy-like moveset and Ganondorf getting a more individual moveset are the first things to come to mind.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
If legit, It's going to be interesting to see how this will be presented without making the controls too complicated. I can't think of many other ways of adding new button commands rather beyond neutral, forward, backward, up, and down (maybe more complicated analog movements like a quarter circle command or something).

But I won't truly start thinking on this until this report is proven legit.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
“I bought the mook helpful. What is the determination of “Street Fighter IV”, I’m really a rectangle. A great ー.”

Thanks, Google Translate.
If I remember correctly it said something along the lines of-

"I recently bought the street fighter 4 handbook as a reference on how to make more proper rectangular hitbox's."

Or...something like that. Up to this point the smash series has been using odd spherical hitbox's.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
“I bought the mook helpful. What is the determination of “Street Fighter IV”, I’m really a rectangle. A great ー.”

Thanks, Google Translate.
A rectangle? That's weird, I thought Sakurai was for sure a rhombus. :troll:

Apparently, it's something about diagonal attacks, which I don't reallt think is a good idea.

edit:

If I remember correctly it said something along the lines of-

"I recently bought the street fighter 4 handbook as a reference on how to make more proper rectangular hitbox's."

Or...something like that. Up to this point the smash series has been using odd spherical hitbox's.
Okay, thanks. That's wierd, I thought a lot of fighters with 3D models used spherical hitboxes, but maybe I was wrong.

For as long as I can remember Smash has used Spherical Hit Boxes, so the question is how will this transfer over to Smash Bros if implemented? I guess i'll just look into it.

Edit: Apparently Smash 64 used Cubed hit and hurt boxes while SSBM and SSBB used spheres, as according to Wiki: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Hitbox

Here is an animation of Kirby doing his forward tilt in Smash 64: http://www.ssbwiki.com/File:Kirbyftilthitboxes.gif

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Very odd to use 3D hitboxes in a 2D game.

Very odd to use 3D hitboxes in a 2D game.
Yes. But I can see some possible use of this. Like when characters roll, some of them appear to move around the character in somewhat of a semicircle. Perhaps if a character rolled bad the opponent was able to read it and hit them with a move that covers around. This could make trying to roll around links spin attack very dangerous, or give characters who have attacks with hit boxes that go around very strong. Bowser would be able to instantly punish a roll with a down smash for example.

JOE!

Smash Hero
DDD's spot dodge actually works like that, since he's in the back/foreground even after invincibility wears off, giving him nearly 0 frames of vulnerability.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm pretty indeed sure that this might be considering the whole "customization"-part of the game, having replaceable attacks to implement for a moveset. Maan, I bet it's really gonna add some great depth to the game and the characters.

No hoping for two things:

- The moves won't be seen as "broken"
- Namdai won't mess the things up.

But yeah. I hope this will turn out to be something good. Heheh!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yes. But I can see some possible use of this. Like when characters roll, some of them appear to move around the character in somewhat of a semicircle. Perhaps if a character rolled bad the opponent was able to read it and hit them with a move that covers around. This could make trying to roll around links spin attack very dangerous, or give characters who have attacks with hit boxes that go around very strong. Bowser would be able to instantly punish a roll with a down smash for example.
It reminds me of how 3D fighters have attacks that are designed so as to counter sidestepping.

Thing is, I'm not sure if such a thing is appropriate in a game like Smash where the inputs for attacks are so limited as opposed to a 3D fighter or even a 2D fighter. Would you give it to everyone as a tool, or treat it like standing overheads and make it where only select characters use it.

It reminds me of how 3D fighters have attacks that are designed so as to counter sidestepping.

Thing is, I'm not sure if such a thing is appropriate in a game like Smash where the inputs for attacks are so limited as opposed to a 3D fighter or even a 2D fighter. Would you give it to everyone as a tool, or treat it like standing overheads and make it where only select characters use it.
I believe this would be exclusive to characters who have hitboxes that surround them completely during the duration of the entire attack. It would work with Bowsers Down Smash and Up Smash, Charizards Down Smash are examples. While this could theoretically work with everyone, it would be best if only certain characters had these properties on moves.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm just going to repost my take on this.

N3ON said:
Personally I think that only the original reported quote, that Sakurai's having fun making new skills for new characters is true, and all the other stuff that people are claiming he said, like veterans will also get a bunch of new moves, is misinterpreted or a mistranslation. I do believe the veterans will get at least one new move, it's the precedent by now, but I don't think that was what Sakurai said.

Of course, I haven't seen the original quote, and even if I had I can't read much Japanese, so I'm just basing this on how Sakurai's quotes usually go: the most direct translation is released first, and then people take it out of context and add things and make assumptions until the original meaning is somewhat lost. :p:rolleyes:

Plus, even the ZI article states that their source might've jumped to this conclusion. When ZI admits it might not be true, it's probably not true. :laugh:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I am very hesitant to believe anything from ZeldaInformer, the site that claimed half of the game's characters would be retro and console exclusive.

However, if the rumor about 'diagonal moves' is true, I would be immensely disappointed. This would be such a fall from grace, after Brawl introduced Final Smashes, and not even anything new, since a handful of attacks can be angled diagonally in Brawl anyways.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
From a design point i see this as a good and bad. Its best to keep the iconic moves like Pikachu's thunder, Mario's fireball, Link's spin attack, cause its like what you think of when you think of these guys. At the same time, changing moves is a good thing to represent the recent games they come from. So veteran characters should at most just have some moved altered (except Ganondorf)

pokémoneinstein

Smash Cadet
I am very hesitant to believe anything from ZeldaInformer, the site that claimed half of the game's characters would be retro and console exclusive.
Actually, that was an anonymous tip, and we cited it as such, warning users to be skeptical. In fact, I just wrote an article about all known information about Smash 4 and debunked that retro/exclusive rumor as fake.

ZI has the misfortune of getting stuck with all the accusations that Paul Gale Network deserves.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Actually, that was an anonymous tip, and we cited it as such, warning users to be skeptical. In fact, I just wrote an article about all known information about Smash 4 and debunked that retro/exclusive rumor as fake.

ZI has the misfortune of getting stuck with all the accusations that Paul Gale Network deserves.
Honestly, you shouldn't have included the veterans will get new moves thing. It's just fans wildly misinterpereting a benign statement and blowing it out of proportion.

pokémoneinstein

Smash Cadet
I explained it as best I can, warned that it's still under investigation (though it's looking likely to be true). You are right, though, that I don't do a great job of explaining that it isn't anything to get riled up over, but that's an easy fix that I can go and make right now.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
True or not, it would be nice to see some new techniques applied to characters to refresh their appearances in the next title, I just hope the moves replaced are chosen wisely though, that can make or break a character

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
While this isn't confirmed and just speculation it would be nice to see some reworked move sets. Especially move sets like Gannondorf I think he really, really needs his own move set. I would also like to see more diversity in the spaceimals move sets the specials being more diverse would be nice. And I think that Toon Link should have a different move set as well because there's lots of other items and unique things to draw from Wind Waker, Spirit Tracks, and Phantom hourglass. Taking control of the statue from Spirit tracks I think would be a cool super smash. And I would like to see them continue with their little tweaks of the move sets as well. Like the changes from melee to brawl.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
If characters are going to be given more moves, I can see a system where each move can be assigned to an input:

Mario's Standard B: Fireball, Megavitamins, Shell Kick (similar to his weapon in Mario RPG)
Mario's Down B: Mario Tornado, F.L.U.D.D., Ground Pound, Statue Form (a la Tanooki Suit)

You basically get the gist. For Mario's Down B, if one doesn't want F.L.U.D.D., they can opt for Mario Tornado if they want to better his recovery, etc.. Similar to how characters can mix and match moves in Dissidia Final Fantasy.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
If characters are going to be given more moves, I can see a system where each move can be assigned to an input:

Mario's Standard B: Fireball, Megavitamins, Shell Kick (similar to his weapon in Mario RPG)
Mario's Down B: Mario Tornado, F.L.U.D.D., Ground Pound, Statue Form (a la Tanooki Suit)

You basically get the gist. For Mario's Down B, if one doesn't want F.L.U.D.D., they can opt for Mario Tornado if they want to better his recovery, etc.. Similar to how characters can mix and match moves in Dissidia Final Fantasy.
That would be pretty cool!

Phantom287

Smash Rookie

Now, there's an idea I can get behind.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
"I bought the mook helpful. What is the determination of “Street Fighter IV”, I’m really a rectangle. A great ー"

I knew it. I ****ing knew it. Sakurai was secretly a rectangle the whole time.
NO. NO HE ISN'T. THAT'S A MISTRANSLATION. SAKURAI IS MOST DEFINATLEY A TRIANGLE. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE. :troll:

Top Bottom