• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vestal of Wind: Agnès Oblige for Smash Switch

mediyogurt

Smash Cadet
I don't think she has a good shot, but I support. Bravely Default is one of my favorite 3ds games.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't know much about Agnes, but I think I'd like Bravely Default. I heard it's got a class system, and I usually like those :)

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Agnès was my Smash Ballot vote back in the day. She, Tiz, Ringabel, and Edea will still get a vote from me simply from the moveset potential and sweet jams they can bring along.

(And I absolutely love Agnès' regular outfit design.)

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
It's a bit like Final Fantasy X, despite what Tidus says it's Yuna's story more than his really. The difference is Tidus has more story implication in his game than Tiz could ever dream of.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Looks like this thread's been dormant for a while, but I just wanted to chip in with why (besides wishful thinking) I think Agnes/a Bravely rep is more likely than most folks are accounting for.

Firstly, this banks on several assumptions:
  1. The rumours floating around of a second SE rep are correct.
  2. As per Sakurai's twitter, Nintendo is calling the shots on who gets put forward as suggested DLC.
  3. If the above two are both correct, I can't imagine Sakurai being given much leeway with the SE character, since negotiations would probably be needed for them to even make the suggestion in the first place.
Now, with all this in mind - if Nintendo is ultimately responsible for character picks, then it stands to reason that they'd want to advertise a relatively popular, ongoing franchise that's on their own consoles. In short, the character would need to be relevant to both Nintendo and SE's interests. Geno, unfortunately, would probably be immediately dismissed on this front: he's got a solid following in the Smash community, and were Sakurai the one directly naming characters for inclusion, I have no doubt we'd be seeing him; but I just don't see SE willing to play ball with the full rights (outside of the dreaded Mii costume) for a character that's nowadays completely unknown outside of the Smash speculation, since I think they'd want to advertise a property they can still make money from. Sora is possible, but acquiring him would probably be a Disneyland-sized can of worms, and all to promote a franchise with its roots pretty firmly in Playstation besides the odd spinoff (a similar argument can be made for Cloud, but he strikes me as a very 'Sakurai' decision - not corporate Nintendo). Another suggestion has been Dragon Quest: not impossible, but I'd also argue not likely. DQ's proven a localisation nightmare at every turn to SE, with composer Koichi Sugiyama often outright refusing use of the series' orchestral score in overseas releases.

So, what does Nintendo have left? Well, for one - exceptional success with SE's Nintendo-exclusive JRPGs, both critically and commercially. Bravely Default made headlines by completely surpassing SE's sales expectations, and Bravely Second managed similar (but by then less surprising) numbers. And then Octopath (which, as we've seen now with the Bravely Default twitter teasing Third off the back of it, was more or less SE testing the waters for JRPG demand on Switch) blew both out the water.

If Nintendo wants to maintain a good reputation with SE while financially benefiting both companies, then it makes sense to keep the momentum for these JRPGs going with a Bravely rep: you get the established fanbase excited (possibly even tying in with Third), draw in the people with Switches who haven't tried the series but have played Octopath (Default/Second HD rerelease please and thank you), and draw the general public's attention to a Nintendo-exclusive franchise.

Also we'd get That Person's Name Is in Smash. That'd be pretty neat.

mediyogurt

Smash Cadet
Looks like this thread's been dormant for a while, but I just wanted to chip in with why (besides wishful thinking) I think Agnes/a Bravely rep is more likely than most folks are accounting for.

Firstly, this banks on several assumptions:
  1. The rumours floating around of a second SE rep are correct.
  2. As per Sakurai's twitter, Nintendo is calling the shots on who gets put forward as suggested DLC.
  3. If the above two are both correct, I can't imagine Sakurai being given much leeway with the SE character, since negotiations would probably be needed for them to even make the suggestion in the first place.
Now, with all this in mind - if Nintendo is ultimately responsible for character picks, then it stands to reason that they'd want to advertise a relatively popular, ongoing franchise that's on their own consoles. In short, the character would need to be relevant to both Nintendo and SE's interests. Geno, unfortunately, would probably be immediately dismissed on this front: he's got a solid following in the Smash community, and were Sakurai the one directly naming characters for inclusion, I have no doubt we'd be seeing him; but I just don't see SE willing to play ball with the full rights (outside of the dreaded Mii costume) for a character that's nowadays completely unknown outside of the Smash speculation, since I think they'd want to advertise a property they can still make money from. Sora is possible, but acquiring him would probably be a Disneyland-sized can of worms, and all to promote a franchise with its roots pretty firmly in Playstation besides the odd spinoff (a similar argument can be made for Cloud, but he strikes me as a very 'Sakurai' decision - not corporate Nintendo). Another suggestion has been Dragon Quest: not impossible, but I'd also argue not likely. DQ's proven a localisation nightmare at every turn to SE, with composer Koichi Sugiyama often outright refusing use of the series' orchestral score in overseas releases.

So, what does Nintendo have left? Well, for one - exceptional success with SE's Nintendo-exclusive JRPGs, both critically and commercially. Bravely Default made headlines by completely surpassing SE's sales expectations, and Bravely Second managed similar (but by then less surprising) numbers. And then Octopath (which, as we've seen now with the Bravely Default twitter teasing Third off the back of it, was more or less SE testing the waters for JRPG demand on Switch) blew both out the water.

If Nintendo wants to maintain a good reputation with SE while financially benefiting both companies, then it makes sense to keep the momentum for these JRPGs going with a Bravely rep: you get the established fanbase excited (possibly even tying in with Third), draw in the people with Switches who haven't tried the series but have played Octopath (Default/Second HD rerelease please and thank you), and draw the general public's attention to a Nintendo-exclusive franchise.

Also we'd get That Person's Name Is in Smash. That'd be pretty neat.
Id be cool with Agnes over Geno. I'm not sure I'm a bigger fan of super Mario rpg than bravely default, but I think I like Agnes's character over geno.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
it would be nice if the rumoured SE character was anges

or tiz

or edea or yew, or ringabel or magnolia

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
I do think it is very likely that Erderich is the next rep. However, I'd say Agnes/any other Bravely rep is the second most likely, and I'd say they have double digit percentages of getting in. I'd definitely prefer them, too.

Naturally, this would come alongside a new bravely game, which I'd also adore. Being both a representative of old, classic fe games as well as one of the most successful modern jrpg's (which is also a nintendo exclusive franchise) I'd say that meets the criteria for an all star.

I suppose my current state of mind can best be described as "Holding out hope."

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Support.

I'd like Edea but any BD character would be amazing; if SE isn't too stingy we could get a ton of cool tracks.
My second most wanted tied with Elma.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Naturally, this would come alongside a new bravely game
We know a third game is coming thanks to their twitter, so promotion-wise the timing would be right to stir up interest in the original two games (HD Switch port of Default/Second when) in time for Third sometime next year. I think 'Brave' is probably Erdrick for numerous reasons, but Bravely being a well-received and Nintendo-exclusive franchise with a future on Switch makes it just as logical a pick.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I do think it is very likely that Erderich is the next rep. However, I'd say Agnes/any other Bravely rep is the second most likely, and I'd say they have double digit percentages of getting in. I'd definitely prefer them, too.

Naturally, this would come alongside a new bravely game, which I'd also adore. Being both a representative of old, classic fe games as well as one of the most successful modern jrpg's (which is also a nintendo exclusive franchise) I'd say that meets the criteria for an all star.

I suppose my current state of mind can best be described as "Holding out hope."
Disagree. Agnes makes more sense than Erdrick.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Please, fill me with the knowledge that will justify my bias.
The main argument is that Bravely is more immediately relevant to Nintendo's interests, especially with Octopath's success and Third on the way. DQ11 S has also been kicking around in development limbo for a long time with little to show for it, especially when it was meant to be a big early Switch title.

Still, it's equally hard to deny the sheer scale of DQ's overall cultural impact, especially in Japan, and Sakurai has a history of representing non-Nintendo franchises with Nintendo history (Ryu is more a rep of SF2 than anything else). I give DQ the edge just because it's DQ.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so it seems the official bravely twitter account is saying theyre working on a new project

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I'm starting to believe Agnes is the most likely for Brave. She fits the stats better than any of the other suggestions, the codename isn't a stretch for her like it is for just about every other option, and she's plenty relevant moving forward. I think this is just a case of not enough people knowing about her. Honestly, after its success on the 3ds, I would not be surprised if Nintendo wants to push the series hard on the Switch.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
The fact that Bravely Third has been in the works for a while and the 'brave' codename relates to Agnes without being a giant stretch makes me think the character could be her. Granted I still think it will most likely be Erdrick but I think Agnes may actually have a chance considering how well received the Bravely games have been.

Good luck to you guys tomorrow.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Well, The fact that they Gave a full Dragon Quest XI presentation in today's direct without announcing Erdrick is a tell-tale sign. If they are indeed including Erdrick to help DQ sell in the west like the rumors suggest, there would be no reason not to announce him at the same time as DQ XI. I can't see how announcing Erdrick/Luminary at any other time would be more beneficial. Even during a Smash direct. While Erdrick/Luminary is still very much possible, Today's revelation is still a well needed glimmer of hope for Agnes.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
New Supporter here, I've always wanted Agnes as she was my favorite of the BD group in the first game, (I still need to play my copy of Bravely Second, had it for ages now and havnet touched it oddly) anyway...with what I remember very recently we had confirmation of a Bravely Third game.

Top Bottom