• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vestal of Wind: Agnès Oblige for Smash Switch

Luminario

Smash Lord
Vestal of the Wind and Pope of the Crystal Orthodoxy, Agnes~
agnes oblige.png

Who is Agnes?
Agnes Oblige is a main playable character in Bravely Default and a non-playable character in Bravely Second. In the first game she is aware of the encroaching danger that threatens the world and is adamant to stop it at all costs. In the second game she has been elected Pope of the Crystal Orthodoxy and it is her capture by Kaiser Oblivion that sets off the events of the game.

How would Agnes play?
Due to the heavy inspiration of classic Final Fantasy games, Agnes has a variety of potential movesets to explore. The game has a vast amounts of magic and weapon types, and the Job System allows her to use any and all of these ways to attack. There's also the mechanic that the game is named after: Bravely Default. In-game this allows you to either wait a turn to use multiple attacks at once somewhere down the line (default), or borrow a turn from the future to attack multiple times now and have to wait next turn (brave) or a combination of the two. How this would translate over to Smash is anyone's guess but I made a moveset of how I think Agnes could play, focusing on her proficiency in magic and the Bravely Default Mechanic.​
Gimmick: Bravely Default. Staying idle (not in attack animation or pressing any buttons or directions) charges an invisible meter that when full gives Agnes a Brave slot that gives her hands a green glow for 1 charge and red for 2. This allows her to combo either her smash attacks or her specials together, either by using the same attack again or by using a different one. This is done by pressing either the A or B buttons, usually with a direction, again before the move is completed. There's also a spell storing mechanic explained further down in the B moves. The Brave mechanic would then be balanced by making Agnes have a hard time killing opponents without the setups available with the Brave slots. Charging the 2nd Brave slot takes more time than the 1st.

Entrance: Agnes teleports in. She has the basic dagger in her right hand and holding it with the blade facing backwards.

Jab: 3 part attack. horizontal slash with dagger imbued with ice, slash the other way imbued with fire, then left palm thrust infused with electricity. Flurry has constant electric shocks emanating from Agnes' hand.
Ftilt: Quick horizontal slash with dagger. Longer range that jab. Agnes continues the momentum after the initial slash and spins in place after the attack. Angle can be changed.
Utilt: Gravity. Creates an orb a fair bit above Agnes that falls, bringing any opponent it touches down with it for multihit damage. The final hit weakly spikes so at higher percents it can be teched as they hit the ground.
Dtilt: Quake. sweeps up with her free hand as a pillar of rock shoots out of the ground.
Dash: 2 part attack. slashes horizontally at a low angle with the dagger, spins, then slashes again.

Fsmash: Fira. Extends her free hand forwards and clicks her fingers. Half a second later a violent fiery explosion appears in front of her. Using a Brave slot has the explosion do barely any knockback to link it into other smash attacks. Brave slot can only be activated before the explosion occurs.
Usmash: Thundara. Faces the camera and summons electrical energy in both her hands before clapping them above her head as a thunder sound effect occurs. hitbox at either side during the startup shoots opponents into the clap. Unreliable to link into the other smash attacks but the other smash attacks can link into this attack pretty well. Brave slot needs to be activated before the clap and has the specific clap do barely any knockback and hit the opponents straight in front of her.
Dsmash: Blizzara. Spins once slowly as icy winds circle around Agnes' feet before icicles shoot out from beneath facing towards either side. Multihit during the icy wind part. Can link into itself and other smash attacks reliably. Brave slot to be activated before the icicles and causes the icicles to not appear, only the multihit icy wind.

Nair: Grabs the dagger handle with both hands, brings it close to her chest, then spins as wind blades emanate from her. Technically a multihit but opponents get hit away so it only works as a multihit against walls.
Fair: 2 quick horizontal slashes forward with the dagger.
Bair: Horiontal slash backwards with the dagger
Uair: Blizzard. Agnes turns her body to face upwards, extends her free hand, and a flash of blue light appears from it. Sweetspot right at the hand freezes opponents. Heavy endlag and landing lag.
Dair: Thunder. Shoots a weak thunder shock downwards from her free hand. Like Robin's base thunder tome but slightly less range with more power. Not a spike.

Grab: Casts Stop with her free hand. Opponents that get grabbed have the appearance of being frozen in time.
Pummel: Agnes shocks them with Thunder.
Fthrow: Casts a fiery explosion on the frozen opponent before turning away. Only after Agnes turns away is the opponent freed from Stop and flies away forward.
Bthrow: Casts Haste on herself and quickly slashes through the opponent 4 times in a blur, Fox Illusion style. 4th hit knocks them away behind her.
Uthrow: Casts Aero and shoots the opponent upwards in a small tornado. Combos into Utilt at very low percents.
Dthrow: Casts Gravity that bounces the opponent off the ground. Good combo throw.

B: Magic charge. Similarly to Robin's and Pacman's B move, Agnes cycles through a variety of spells during this charge move, each having a different effect. While simply pressing B again with a Brave slot has Agnes shoot out Fire, by pressing down during the charge while you currently have a Brave slot, the current spell the move is charged at is added to that slot, allowing you to combo different spells together by using the stored Brave slot that spell was assigned to. While you have 2 Brave slots, storing a spell with a spell already in the 1st slot pushes the stored spell into the 2nd brave slot, and storing a spell after that pushes the 1st spell out to make room for the 2nd and 3rd spell. Using the Brave slot for any other attack removes the stored spell. Here's a diagram as you have 2 Brave slots charged.

1st slot: Empty
2nd slot: Empty

Blizzard stored
1st slot: Blizzard
2nd slot: Empty

Holy stored after
1st slot: Holy
2nd slot: Blizzard

Thunder stored after
1st slot: Thunder
2nd slot: Holy
Blizzard removed

Brave slot used
1st slot: Holy
2nd slot: Empty (and cant be used for spell storage until the Brave slot is charged again)

Fire: Shoots out a small fireball straight forward. Good pestering tool.
Blizzard: Creates a small blizzard in an area just in front of her for multihit damage.
Thunder: Weaker version of Robin's Arcthunder that travels quickly to begin with before slowing down near its maximum range.
Quake: Shoots a small brown orb from above Agnes' head that goes down at an angle. Upon hitting the ground it creates a shockwave that shoots opponents straight up in an area around the impact point.
Holy: Creates a sparkle in front of Agnes that seemingly does nothing, but 2 seconds later a beam of light comes crashing down from above a fair range in front of where Agnes cast the spell(about 1/3rd of FD) Good for edgeguarding but low priority so characters with hitboxes in their recoveries can simply power through it. Good kill move too.
Dark: Creates a dark orb the same range as Holy that does heavy multihit damage and little knockback. The orb hangs around a little while continuously doing damage by the time the endlag of the move is over, but it's unlikely she's able to combo off of it without a Brave slot. By using up 2 brave slots by casting Dark, then Holy, then Dark again, this is the quickest kill combo Agnes has to offer and kills quite early thanks to the Dark orb holding the opponent in place for Holy, assuming she has the time to charge up all 3 necessary spells and charge 2 Brave slots. Upon reaching Dark in the charge, Agnes still charges for a second to allow you to add it to a Brave slot. After the move is fully charged, pressing B again will still put you in charging animation for a second to allow you to add it to the Brave slot, so you have to press B again to cast Dark on its own.

Side B: Reflect. Creates a blue bubble looking shield in front of her that reflects projectiles. Similar to Palutena's Reflect in that it only covers the area in front but only lasts about half a second. Using the Brave slot simply uses Reflect again with little endlag, so it's not really worth it.

Up B: Aerora. Summons a small tornado around herself that shoots her upwards bringing opponents with her for multihit windbox damage similar to Megaman's Uair. Angle of tornado can be changed. Can be reused during flight with a Brave slot but not after entering freefall.

Down B: Comet. Summons a portal a fair range above Agnes that shoots down a comet at an angle. Angle of comet can be changed by holding left or right during startup. Multiple comets can be summoned at multiple angles with a Brave slot.

Final Smash: Bravely Second. Agnes stops time in an area around her and teleports all enemies in range to an unknown area. Agnes, Tiz, Edea, and Ringabel then attack all enemies with multiple special attacks with different weapon types. After the damage has been done they all do their after-attack animations in front of the camera and the enemies are teleported back to the stage with Agnes and are blasted away.

Taunt 1: Agnes holds her dagger out in front of her and says "Begone!"
Taunt 2: She holds the dagger close to her chest as faint light green sparkles appears around her
Taunt 3: She flips her hair with her free hand and says "I'll give it my all!"

That's a lot of words :drsad:
This is just one way she could be added, as I left out potential job changing mechanics and other weapon types in favour of a more mage-oriented moveset with dagger attacks.
Why Agnes as a playable fighter?
While Tiz is technically the main character of Bravely Default, the story revolves around Agnes much more and she goes through the most development. She also appears on the most merchandise surrounding the game, like being the centre of the box art (for the PAL version anyway) and appearing on the soundtrack cover, and she has her own AR cutscene. Even in her non-playable role in Bravely Second, she is integral to the story and is a constant presence along the journey with the Ask Agnes feature. To justify Bravely Default getting a playable fighter, both games renew classic Final Fantasy elements and make them much more relevant, and the added Brave and Default mechanics give a potential character a viable and unique gimmick to set them apart. It's the perfect way of representing what made Final Fantasy so iconic to begin with while having a character that's fresh and relevant.​

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Support! If we get another Square Enix rep, she's the character I'm hoping for the most.

While I do think Tiz is more likely (made a thread for him and everything for a reason), I wouldnt mind any of the heroes from Bravely Default

Support

Luminario

Smash Lord
While I do think Tiz is more likely (made a thread for him and everything for a reason), I wouldnt mind any of the heroes from Bravely Default

Support
Indeed, I'd say it's between Tiz and Agnes with Tiz slightly more in the lead. I feel that Agnes has more... survivability, if you get what I mean, and she feels more poster-child material and created more of an impact to give her an edge. Course, I like Agnes more than Tiz, so it could just be my bias talking.

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Count me in Agnes will be the character i want the most if we get another SE rep.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting Bravely Default for my 3DS. I support!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Just popping in to say I'd rather have Agnes over Geno.

Although she's still not exactly my ideal third party.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
I will just say one thing, even if she isn't in, the Image leak will help a lot her popularity for DLC

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I support and NEED Agnes in Smash! The Brave Default mechanics would bring lend itself extremely well for a distinct moveset that Sakurai can play around with. I'm hoping Nintendo helps promote Bravely Third heavily if that gets announced, being a Bayonetta-esque situation of sorts.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I've never played BD, but Agnes seems like she would be a very fun character to play as.

Not to mention having some of its music in Smash would be nice.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So, since this regards Agnes, might as well post this 'leak' image here:

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Put me down for supporting, I love the BD OST and any reason to get as much in as possible would be great

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
So, since this regards Agnes, might as well post this 'leak' image here:

It's fake... "Agnès" has elements from Marth, Palutena, and Lucina (her right ear is tremendously low poly, and that's definitely Lucina's hair), and not to mention her hair is parted the wrong way.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's fake... "Agnès" has elements from Marth, Palutena, and Lucina (her right ear is tremendously low poly, and that's definitely Lucina's hair), and not to mention her hair is parted the wrong way.

Yup. But it's funny it was discussed everywhere but here lol.
Might as well have brought it up. ;p

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why would you want Agnes when Ringabel exists in that series?

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
What a crazy turn of events, am I right?

I'm open to the idea that the leak is real. That Wario render is the same one from the website to a T, and the renders for new characters can always be unfinished.

Plus, this:

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...ken-presumably-capcoms-street-fighter-series/

That is correct. Prominent FGC website Eventhubs recently published an article about rumors of another Square Enix representative, just days before these renders came into the fold. Maybe people may have assumed a 2nd Square Enix rep would be Geno, but Agnes would also be a potential fit for that slot. Such a leak, paired with such a rumor, is uncanny.

If that leak is fake, then the leaker guy evidently put a lot of time, effort, and thought into it. But I'm open to either possibility, even if it means Agnes over Geno.

Please add me to the support list if I am not on it already. I love what I've played of Bravely Default thus far, and I think Agnes has good potential to be a great addition to Smash.

:131:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would love to have Agnes in Smash, even before that leak existed. I support!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I brought up the image because it's key to the leak. And unfortunately the one of Agnes is pretty poorly made, and like others have mentioned her hair isn't parted the right way, and there's other flaws as well. The leak isn't a very good one, but that doesn't mean people can't support Agnes if they want to.

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
I wouldn't want to start a leak debate in the support thread for a character, but it's not even just Agnès that looks fake... Even Skull Kid's "render" was from a Wii U screenshot (ironically where Sakurai said he's NOT playable) and Banjo doesn't even fit in with the rest of the cast.

I'd have faith were it like Artsy Omni's Rayman leak, but that leak is some low effort crap thrown together that somehow have people talking.

That's not to say these characters aren't plausible (Skull Kid is the talk of the town since the chair E3 thing, Ken and Shadow might be locks), but the renders are so unworthy of their discussion.

Also, Agnès' accent is backwards.

Last edited:

Omega-Smasher

Smash Cadet
I actually felt as if Agnès would be the logical next rep for Square Enix, further backed up by how Square and Nintendo get along well with one another and with Bravely Default being Nintendo exclusive as of writing this.

Yes, I am aware that the leak is fake, but the roster itself is pretty likable to an extent. Though we have to wait and see in the future for the actual roster.

Anyway, aside from Geno, Agnès looks to be the most likely for another Square Enix rep IMO. Although I've yet to play BD, I would like to see how her gameplay works. It could be interesting for all I know.

In support

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
yeah, Agnès or really any party member would make a ton of sense as a Square newcomer. Nintendo exclusive franchise, Silicon Studio has made three full scale RPGs for them already, and Bravely Second was entering the marketing phase when Ultimate's project proposal was entered. It's not unlikely for Square to ask for one of their newest IPs.

On another note, I've finally started BD, and it's blowing me away so far. The combat system is really well designed, and the OST is just phenomenal.

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
What a crazy turn of events, am I right?

I'm open to the idea that the leak is real. That Wario render is the same one from the website to a T, and the renders for new characters can always be unfinished.

Plus, this:

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...ken-presumably-capcoms-street-fighter-series/

That is correct. Prominent FGC website Eventhubs recently published an article about rumors of another Square Enix representative, just days before these renders came into the fold. Maybe people may have assumed a 2nd Square Enix rep would be Geno, but Agnes would also be a potential fit for that slot. Such a leak, paired with such a rumor, is uncanny.

If that leak is fake, then the leaker guy evidently put a lot of time, effort, and thought into it. But I'm open to either possibility, even if it means Agnes over Geno.

Please add me to the support list if I am not on it already. I love what I've played of Bravely Default thus far, and I think Agnes has good potential to be a great addition to Smash.

:131:
Well, so much for this rant. (The leak was confirmed to be fake.)

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
Well at least this leak did one good thing, remind me and probably others that Bravely Default could use a character in smash.

Agnès take the spot over Tiz imo, Tiz is just an inconditional Agnès fan follower and I think she's the main thing. Just look at the box art :
BD box art.jpg

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well at least this leak did one good thing, remind me and probably others that Bravely Default could use a character in smash.

Agnès take the spot over Tiz imo, Tiz is just an inconditional Agnès fan follower and I think she's the main thing. Just look at the box art :
View attachment 161573
even though the story is told from tiz's point of veiw

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Tiz is basically like Vaan from FF12, the story is viewed from his eyes, but he's definitely not the main character.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
that doesnt make any sense
Yeah, it does. In FF12, the story is driven by Balthier, and Vaan, the "protagonist" is kinda just a tag-along. Thus Balthier is the main protagonist, and Vaan serves as a sort of audience surrogate into Balthier's exploits.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, it does. In FF12, the story is driven by Balthier, and Vaan, the "protagonist" is kinda just a tag-along. Thus Balthier is the main protagonist, and Vaan serves as a sort of audience surrogate into Balthier's exploits.
yeah i dont know anything about 12, but all four of them are the main protagonist cause it follows all four of their stories not just agnes

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
yeah i dont know anything about 12, but all four of them are the main protagonist cause it follows all four of their stories not just agnes
she does drive the plot forward though, and she and Ringabel are the reason the group is together in the first place.

Top Bottom