• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

very very good Zelda players, anywhere?

ProsmasherTim

Smash Journeyman
hey guys I started playing Zelda some month ago and now she is kinda my best char, but I have never seen some very good Zeldas and my first question is, who is officially the best Zelda in the world, I mean one who plays Zelda in tournaments, and not just as a Low Tier =D

and the second question is, where can I find some very high level gaming Zelda movies? I have just seen some of Cosmo! and TheLake, is one of them the best tournament-Zelda in the world? or are there some better Zeldas on tape? Maybe some seriously nice combovideos?

I have only played some people in Germany with my Zelda, like Ice, Däumling or my crewmates Dr.Dead, DancingQueen90 and FlavaSava but all said my Zelda is better than my Falco/Fox which used to be my main chars for about 6 years =D

thank you for your help

D

Deleted member

I think I remember you being one of the more prominent members of the german smash boards, right?

the best zelda videos you're going to find hands down are cosmo's, but you should still be critical of them because his opponents sans the m2k set generally don't abuse why zelda is a "bad" character. it's somewhat disappointing that m2k vs cosmo is the best zelda set for competitive purposes, but you do get a better idea of how zelda handles vs a better opponent because her limitations as a character are the basis for a good evaluation of what her character can do in any given situation. this isn't a slam on cosmo in any way just to be clear. i've been playing m2k for ****ing years and he usually 2 stocks me on with sheik and like 1 stocks me with marth unless he runs at me like an idiot and doesn't camp me like he obviously would in tournament. either way i don't do any better than cosmo does in that set, and he's still a really good reference for the character.

ProsmasherTim

Smash Journeyman
ok thank you, I will watch that set, well you remember me right I guess, Im active for about 6 years now... I will work on my Zelda and mabye I will be the European Cosmo! someday =D

Maxwell Too Swell

Smash Apprentice
It's definitely gonna be between Cosmo and TheLake. I personally think TheLake is better, but that's just my opinion. If you want recent footage of Cosmo try finding his sets from SMYM 12. He made it to grand finals.

D

Deleted member

unless thelake has improved drastically, cosmo is definitely better. i played thelake at pound 4 and we went even ish when i was playing absolutely ****ing garbage because i hadn't played in 4 months prior. then i compared cosmo vs darkrain/m2k to when i played darkrain/m2k which is horrible for comparisons but whatever. i don't like cosmo's style because i think he's venerable in the air way too much but at least cosmo got darkrain to stop sandbagging the last match of their set (rather obviously).

that said, thelake probably has improved since he was still a new player at pound 4, but i generally assume that no one improves or if they do it's only very slight because how a player performs at a their first major usually indicates how well that player will perform for as long as they play the game. just something i noticed a longgggg time ago that just seems to hold.

OverLord

Smash Ace
that said, thelake probably has improved since he was still a new player at pound 4, but i generally assume that no one improves or if they do it's only very slight because how a player performs at a their first major usually indicates how well that player will perform for as long as they play the game. just something i noticed a longgggg time ago that just seems to hold.
O_o'?

Just as an example, Zgetto was pretty bad back in the days. And he used to show up at majors in Europe.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
how a player performs at a their first major usually indicates how well that player will perform for as long as they play the game. just something i noticed a longgggg time ago that just seems to hold.
So you're suggesting that no one improves at all or just that improvement is very slow?

Regardless, I agree that theLake is good but Cosmo is still better.

Zone

Smash Champion
I can't really put in my input because I don't know Midwest skill,
Because when I look at the brackets
Of the tourneys that cosmo goes to I only recognized dark rain, m2k, rock crock, kels, and macD. Those are
The only names that ring a bell. Where as I've physically seen lake take Shiz, and hugs to game three even though I don't think those matchups are that bad but... It's hugs and shiz.... I hear he did pretty good against scar as well.

:phone:

GENESIS: won 1 set (2-0) vs some girl Link player, but won no other games, in my pool
APEX 2: Won 1 game and 0 sets in my pool

I'm bad forever

Zone

Smash Champion
My first tournament I didn't beat anyone in pools >.>;

2nd tournament I beat only 1 guy in pools.

CEO which is more of a regional, I made it out of pools 100% Zelda in a pool with Tope and a bunch of foxes. only top 2 made it out.

then Pound V, I made round 2 pools with Tope and Zhu in my pool and cosmos' practice partner Vro and 2 other guys. I did not make it out of round 2 lol.

I've only been to 3 "Nationals" and 2 "Big Regionals"

the 2 nationals were really really old ones back in like 2004-5.

Although I can make it out of pools in regionals. I'm still stuck never making it out of pools in Nationals. Which is one of the reasons I quit zelda for a long time and learned other characters.

So... I've kind of been one of those guys that stay the same skill.... But I mostly blame that on my uh... lack of ability to play people..... I mean I literally HAVE NO ONE TO PLAY WITHIN A 3 HOUR RADIUS of me. So my only game time is tournaments which i only attend to like 1 a month if lucky.

The lake made it to round3 pools at Pound V btw.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Yeah I blame my lack of skill progression on not having almost anyone to play against in my area.

My first tournament (which had over 100 attendees) - I beat a luigi player and lost to the other people in my pool

Genesis (a year later)- I beat a luigi player and lost to the other people in my pool

The last regional I went to - I beat a luigi AND a marth and lost to the other people in my pool (OHHHHHHH, I'm makin' progress now)

Yeah okay, not really

Strangely though, I've gotten 9th at the last 6 tournaments I've entered. Assuming I rig the Genesis 2 bracket so that I only have to face luigi players there's a good chance that I'll end up getting 9th overall there too. :D

TheLake

Smash Master
I made it it to round 2 pools at pound 4.

At appex and pound 5 I made it to round three pools and almost made it out at appex. Blow me mow <3

Cosmo is better because he is the best player at OOT which is the best game in the world.

Best zelda also cause he can somehow ****...but not be BLUE OMGWTF?!

<3 zelda sucks though but shes sooo groovy

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I'm definitely not gonna go all zelda at Genesis 2, but I'll probably use her for at least half of my matches since she is my best character in several matchups.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
If anyone really believes that, they are ****ing idiots.

TheLake

Smash Master
Yoshi is always welcome in the zelda thread.

and ganon...and...mewtwo somtimes

and like maybe...probably...sorta.....roy

but thats it so everyone else BACK OFF >:O

and not sure about genesis yet

D

Deleted member

If anyone really believes that, they are ****ing idiots.
whenever people are presented with blanket statements, they are predictably quick to look for exceptions. note that I said generally and not always. yes of course there will be some exceptions because those players become noteworthy, but for each of them, there are a countless number of counterexamples. you need to be more critical of a subject statement before you make an even larger blanket statement yourself, and a derogatory one at that. which you did.

@ lake: the pittsburgh guys had nothing but good things to say that you've improved greatly and I have no reason to doubt their judgment, but don't tell me to "blow you" for tournaments where you didn't even make it out of pools. I understand that you're a more talented player now and I generally dislike other Zelda players, but when I post stuff like that I'm almost always trying to be as accurate/honest as possible.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
whenever people are presented with blanket statements, they are predictably quick to look for exceptions. note that I said generally and not always. yes of course there will be some exceptions because those players become noteworthy, but for each of them, there are a countless number of counterexamples. you need to be more critical of a subject statement before you make an even larger blanket statement yourself, and a derogatory one at that. which you did.
I'm sorry but I don't believe in statistics which apparently shuts down a lot of potential if people actually believe in things like that. If someone really wants to try to become good at something then there's absolutely no problem.. where they end up is their own problem.. even if there's proof that only 1% of people actually make it big.. then you still might as well try your best and not let **** like that hold you down.

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry but I don't believe in statistics which apparently shuts down a lot of potential if people actually believe in things like that. If someone really wants to try to become good at something then there's absolutely no problem.. where they end up is their own problem.. even if there's proof that only 1% of people actually make it big.. then you still might as well try your best and not let **** like that hold you down.
you're definitely a champion for having the correct attitude towards improvement, but many players don't know how to improve, and many that do don't have good circumstances to play people that help them learn, and many that do just aren't innately talented at the game or don't play tournament viable characters, the list goes on and on as to why the bad players are bad, but to deny the obvious just makes you a weak debater. For example, don't go into an argument with:

I don't believe in statistics
because at that point you are deliberately rejecting flawless logic or a relative equivalent of what is commonly accepted as flawless logic.

you should feel somewhat blessed that you are talented enough and have ideal conditions to be a good player, but most people do not and most players will never make large skill jumps. did you work for it? certainly and so did a handful of others, but my initial statement holds overall as a general statement should.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya alright, I have to admit that my train of thought usually isn't really logical. It's more towards how I feel about things.. to me if it feels right then I should do it. That's all there is to it. I consider myself an instinctual player or being.. I learned things because it was drilled into me. Punishing a mistake for me is more towards reaction time and knowing things that they will go for since most situations I have learned about. Well you already know about the whole warrior deal, the way of action and the present moment. My way of doing things is not really convenient for others I don't think. =P

And I also agree with you that they are sooo many factors as to why someone would be at a current skill level. It's pretty ridiculous how just one little thing can limit your improvement.

TheLake

Smash Master

@ lake: the pittsburgh guys had nothing but good things to say that you've improved greatly and I have no reason to doubt their judgment, but don't tell me to "blow you" for tournaments where you didn't even make it out of pools. I understand that you're a more talented player now and I generally dislike other Zelda players, but when I post stuff like that I'm almost always trying to be as accurate/honest as possible.
I was joking but if you want to play ball lets try bouncing around in this court. My comment stems from the fact you dont even compete with zelda let alone use her on any other stage aside from FD. So it was more of a "You of ALL people dont really have much room to state such claims mr.mow" considering you dont have even the slightest understanding of how to use zelda on a competitive level. If im wrong, by all means show me. Not debasing your skill at all (If i remember one match you like...tore my *** open so hard that i thought my will to use zelda fell out with it and i wanted to quit being alive forever and eternity...for like 2 seconds) as anyone who can use zelda on FD as well as you do deserves notoriety. But try to at least use tournament stats to back up your ludicrous claims when regarding my skill instead of 5 minutes worth of dittos kthnxbubye :D.

Top Bottom