• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Verticle DI survival

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I wanted to make this my 8000th post... but im stupid so whatever

This also might get moved to tactical, I just wanted to make it here.

Basically, my DI tends to be very good, and im good at surviving, but im still upset cause often I find myself dying to a verticle sending move much earlier than I am used to, simply because I dont know which way to DI. So hopefully with some community input, I can make a comprehensive list of where to DI every verticle kill move.

Its going to be pretty simple since theres only two ways to DI a verticle kill move. Into the opponent, or away from the opponent.

:bowser2: Fortress:
Up Tilt
Up Air:
Side B:
Bowser Bomb:
Up Smash
Down Smash
Forward Smash1:

:falcon: Up Smash:

:charizard: ROCK SMASH! Away.
Up Smash:
Up Tilt:
Down Smash:
Fly: Away

:diddy: Up Tilt
Up Air:
Top Hit Forward Smash:
Barrel: Too Random to DI

:dk2: Down Smash: Regardless of the side you are on, DI Into DK

:falco: Up Smash: Toward.
Up Air: Away.

:fox: Up smash: Away. (Note, if you get hit by the back end of the up smash, DI up because thats a horizontal sending move that can still kill you.)
Up Air:
Forward Air:

:gameandwatch: Up Smash:
Tipper Down Smash:
9: DEATH IS INEVITABLE!!
Down Air:
Up Air:

:ganondorf: Up Smash:
Down Air: NO DI WILL SAVE YOU!!
Dash Attack: Toward.
Down Tilt: Away.
Down Smash:

:popo: Up Smash:
Up Air:
Belay:
Down Smash:
Down Air:

:ike: Up Smash: I believe you DI away, both ends.
Up Tilt: Away.
Tipper Forward Smash:
Up Air:
Eruption:
QuickDraw:
Neutral Air:

:ivysaur: Up Smash:
Up Air:

:jigglypuff: Rest:
Up Smash:
Up Tilt:

:dedede: Up Tilt: Into.
Down Air:
Up Air:
Up Smash:

:kirby2: Up Smash:
Up throw:
Grounded Hammer:
Aerial Hammer1:

:link2: Up Smash:
Down Smash:
Up Air:
Down Air:
Up Tilt:

:lucario: Up Air:
Up Tilt:
Up Smash:
Forward B:
Down B: Lol @ any worthwhile lucario even attempting this move.

:lucas: Up Smash:
Up Air:
Down Throw:

:luigi2: SHORYUKEN!!:
Up Smash:
Forward Smash: Away.
Neutral Air:

:mario2: Up Smash:
Up Throw:
Up B: not really the most common kill move, but DI it away.

:marth: Up Smash: Toward.
Up Air:
Up Tilt: Toward.
DB4B:
Up B: Too Random to DI

:metaknight: Grounded Shuttle Loop: Away.
Up Air:
Up Smash
Down B attack:

:ness2: Up Air
Up Smash:

:olimar: Up Smash:
Up Air:

:peach: Up Smash:
Up Tilt:
Up Air:
Forward Smash (Frying pan):

:pikachu2: Down Smash: (This is of course assuming that you couldnt SDI up away from the last hit)
Up Smash:
Up Tilt:

:pit: Up Smash
Down Throw:
Up Throw:

:rob: Up Smash:
Down Smash:
Neutral Air:
Up Throw:

:samus2: Down Tilt: Away

:sheik: Up Smash1:
Up Smash2: DI Up because the second hitbox of the up smash sends horizontally.

:snake: Up Tilt: Into
Mortar:
Up Air:
C4:
Sourspot Forward Air: Into.
Grenade:

:sonic: Up Air:
Up Smash:
Up Tilt:
Up Throw:
Forward Air: On the off chance that youre getting faired at the top of the screen, DI and SDI straight down.

:squirtle: Up Smash:
Down Throw: I dont know which direction this kills in with out DI, so just DI to the corner.

:toonlink: Up Smash:
Up Air:
Up Throw:

:wario: Up Air: Away.
Up Smash: You can SDI this move up to avoid knockback but if you dont DI Away.

:wolf: Up Smash: Toward.
Up Air:
Forward Air

:yoshi2: Up Smash:
Up Air:
Yoshi Bomb:

:zelda: Up Smash:
Up Air:
Side b: Lol if you still get hit by this move...

:zerosuitsamus: Up Air:

After noticing how many of these I could fill out on my own... God, I dont know anything...

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
I really suck at DI so this is an amazing post. And isn't Pit's uair a vertical move, or is that only horizontal. I keep DI'ing that away from him (horizontally) and I keep dying, so if you're going to put that in, I'm pretty sure you need to DI up to get the least knockback.

Tenki

Smash Hero
:What do you mean by "Away" lol

for example,

If Sonic is doing U-throw on you, the best way to survive vertically is to DI "behind" the Sonic that's throwing you ("forward", from your perspective). Is that "Towards" ?

Also, Squirtle's D-throw sends in his forward direction, so it's usually more of a sideways killing move. At high %'s it becomes a vertical killing one if you DI upwards, so the only situation that you'd have to DI horizontally is if you're at a high % and he's facing towards the stage and D-throws. Rare enough x.x;

edit:
Later on, maybe set a color code for the move and the DI; it's a little hard to see.

edit2:
Vertical*

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
You forgot Yoshi's u-air and Yoshi Bomb.

I'm... uh... actually not sure how to DI any of his vertical kill moves, though. I play as Yoshi, not play against. I don't pay much attention to how my opponent DIs. :laugh:

Actually, I think that for Yoshi Bomb one should DI away. I'm not 100% sure, though.

:069:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I really suck at DI so this is an amazing post. And isn't Pit's uair a vertical move, or is that only horizontal. I keep DI'ing that away from him (horizontally) and I keep dying, so if you're going to put that in, I'm pretty sure you need to DI up to get the least knockback.
Pits up air is a completely horizontal sending move, DI it up.
:What do you mean by "Away" lol

for example,

If Sonic is doing U-throw on you, the best way to survive vertically is to DI "behind" the Sonic that's throwing you ("forward", from your perspective). Is that "Towards" ?

Yes, that would be DIing "into" sonic.
look at the move before sonic actually throws the opponent. sonic is on the left, opponent is on the right. DIing the throw correctly, to the left, would be DIing 'toward' or 'into' sonic, where as DIing to the right would be DIing 'away from sonic.

Also, Squirtle's D-throw sends in his forward direction, so it's usually more of a sideways killing move. At high %'s it becomes a vertical killing one if you DI upwards, so the only situation that you'd have to DI horizontally is if you're at a high % and he's facing towards the stage and D-throws. Rare enough x.x;

Thanks, im gonna put this in the OP.

edit:
Later on, maybe set a color code for the move and the DI; it's a little hard to see.

edit2:
Vertical*
maybe when its a little more fleshed out, ill look into that.
Snake's, DDD's and Marth's uptilt are intos, Pika's Dsmash is away assuming you don't SDI.
thank you very much, added.
You forgot Yoshi's u-air and Yoshi Bomb.

I'm... uh... actually not sure how to DI any of his vertical kill moves, though. I play as Yoshi, not play against. I don't pay much attention to how my opponent DIs. :laugh:

Actually, I think that for Yoshi Bomb one should DI away. I'm not 100% sure, though.

:069:

appreciate the input.

And if you notice, Sonics moves arent filled in, so I know exactly what you mean...

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Successful DI is changing the trajectory of your kb so that you have a longer path to live or something like that.

That said, if a vertical kill move sends you up perpendicular to the ground (aka straight up), then you di left or right, i dont think it matters that much. You might consider follow ups and stage positioning.

If a vertical kill move sends you up at an angle towards the left or the right, most likely you should di in that direction. Take for [a bad] example, ike's upsmash. It tends to send you up at the angle relative to which part of the sword you got hit with. If you get sent up at an angle of about 80 degrees ( with the angle looking like this: < ), thus flying up towards your right, you want to di to the right so that you can increase your maximum flight distance.

Ttyl: di towards the nearest corner of the stage. There is a video on youtube about di.... Look that up for better help.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
You are a bit off marko.

verticle moves do have the ability to have their kb affected more so by one move than another.

look at sonics up throw. when you dont DI, it puts you at pretty much DIRECTLY above sonic. when you DI away from him, you dont even get far enough away to avoid the spring up air. But when you DI into him, you get sent at pretty much a 45 degree angle, completely nullifying pretty much any oppurtunities for a follow up, or a kill.

All moves have this type of programming, where DIing to a specific side alters the direction of the knockback move than the other.

the ike example is right, but its hard to know off of the top of your head the slight direction off axis that the move is sending you, and if you wait till after you get hit to figure it out, your already dead. especially since in order to figure that out, you have to get hit by a move with out DI at all, which is honestly pretty hard in the middle of an actual fight.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I see. Makes sense.
Since that's the case, you should probably take this thread to the Tactical Brawl Discussion to get more input.

Tenki

Smash Hero

look at sonics up throw. when you dont DI, it puts you at pretty much DIRECTLY above sonic. when you DI away from him, you dont even get far enough away to avoid the spring up air. But when you DI into him, you get sent at pretty much a 45 degree angle, completely nullifying pretty much any oppurtunities for a follow up, or a kill.

All moves have this type of programming, where DIing to a specific side alters the direction of the knockback move than the other.
Well, it's mostly true.

Basically, if a move has any bit of trajectory in some direction, "pushing" in that direction will make it "stronger" (if the move sends up-up-left, then DI left+down [or whatever's perpendicular to it, theoretically] should have the most [horizontal] effect).

So what you're looking for really is "what direction does x move send you? (left/right or forward/back)" so you can DI that direction.

Browny

Smash Hater
or you could, idk spend ~45 seconds per character and figure this all out yourself.

its pretty basic stuff kid you dont need a lot of help to do this. I really cant imagine that entire list taking much more than 1 hour to do.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Is DJB the new SL?

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
KID, for wolf, i'm pretty sure that when he's running at you with an usmash, his first hit is a tipper, meaning that you can get out of the second hit if you DI right. I believe you need to DI TOWARDS him (Towards his back) to avoid the powerful second hit of the usmash. For the full usmash, i'd say still DI towards him (his back) so just in case, you might be able to avoid the second hit. Even if you get hit, DI horizontally (behind him, again). It's a lot like ivysaur's B attack which can also be DI'd at the first hit to avoid all the seeds. I'm not sure which direction for the ivysaur, but i know it's to the side to avoid the seeds.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
lol pika dsmash just hold up and you escape from all the hits. if you get hit by only the last hit for whatever reason then DI away from him. you dont even have to smash DI just literally HOLD UP for the duration of the move and you will escape it.

if you Di ganon dash attack into him you go way far horizontally but if you Di away you go straight up so it depends how you wanna die. dtilt away

charizard fly : away

falco usmash: toward i think
uair: away

marth usmash: toward

wario uair: away
usmash: see pikachu dsmash

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Sonic's Usmash: SDI Outwards
Rob's Dsmash: SDI Upwards
Just in case people arent clear, for this thread just assume that all multihit SDI-able kill moves are used on you to punish your airdodge landing into the ground, thus ensuring that you get hit by the last hit that has all the knockback.

This is not a SDI to get out of multi hit attacks thread, if you want I will make one of those in the future, this is a which way to DI when sent up wards thread.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Within the next couple of days, I will actually be doing my own testing to get the data I need for this thread.

Top Bottom