• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Version 1.0.3 is out!!

HYP3R

Smash Lord
Probably irrelevant and just my terrible internet, but ever since I installed the update I always get a communication error trying to play for glory team matches. This only started happening today.

Edit: Working for the most part now.

Last edited:

ThePassingShadow

Smash Rookie
Really thinking that at this point all of the stuff is just placebo feels. I played about a hundred games yesterday... No notable differences found.

Fireriku546

Smash Rookie
Could Rosalina's Luma always die from getting damaged too much? If so then perhaps the damage threshold got decreased? Either way I don't remember Luma dying this much.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I don't think replay desyncs will be an issue at all. That was a problem of the past that should no longer exist, and looking at replays for desyncs shouldn't be the basis of finding mechanic changes or whether a bug still exists or not.

In order to avoid problems in the current day and age, replays are saved on a by-version basis. This means that if you have 1.0.3 and run a 1.0.2 replay, the game will run the replay as 1.0.2 causing no problems.

It's easy for the game to do this since the information for 1.0.2 still exists within it.
I was just about to say this, glad to see someone else uses their brain. Quoting for truth.

Darkzephr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-4533-2435
I agree, I was just remarking on how a balance change that changed heroes from "instant ban" to "very good" more or less removed them from the metagame for several months. But you're right, Smash isn't likely to follow the same trend.

Brood War went through numerous balance changes over the year. Numerous other online games are good proof that an unchanging meta can be bad while changing balance is good (See Dota). You have to hit a nice balance between addressing actual issues (Void Ray charges in SC2, Terran's walling strength, Dota's push meta, Demoman stickies in TF2, etc) for balance's sake while giving each version sufficient time to test that balance. Balance changes any more frequent than two months or so are often rushed, but other times, like was the case with Dota 6.81, a system is so broken that it needs fixing.

Can't really tell at this point because this game is wholly new and hasn't been out long in general, but if they tweak things every 2-3 months without making major gameplay changes, the meta will be more than capable of evolving while character strengths and weaknesses are discovered and learned. And just because a character is nerfed once doesn't mean they can't be buffed again later - balance should always be a perpetual process (Morphling shotgun strat in Dota, for example, was considered absurdly broken during TI2, but the same option was returned recently, and he's no more than a slightly above average pick).
I think I may have been a little salty at the state of this balance patch, so I may have exaggerated my point a bit. I do agree with you that balance updates are necessary. I actually like the method that Dota 2 implements over its balance patches (very infrequent with lots of asymmetrical changes), but I guess what concerns me more is the speed at which this first balance patched arrived. There may totally be things that are so overpowered that they are broken, but I don't feel we have had enough time to properly evaluate that. Its entirely possible i'm wrong, but a lack of patch notes makes it harder to discern the motivation behind the changes.

I feel like the mentality of waiting for a nerf on a character the community has decided is overpowered stems from a developer reacting before the community has time to adapt. I completely understand there is a balance, and that leaving a broken system will drive people away, I'm just worried that this mindset, which I feel is represented strongly in the Starcraft 2 community, as well in the League of Legends community will become an issue in this game as well. I know Starcraft has definitely slowed down its patching process, allowing for more time for metagame responses to evolve, but I wonder how much of the current protoss balance whine is still a result of blizzard patching the game so frequently in its infancy. I still do disagree about the patch History of Brood war though. The game's entire balance changes can be summed up in maybe 1/2 of a single Dota 2 update. The actual balance patch was in 2001 (game was released in 1998) with the meta still constantly shifting for many years after the last patch.

Again, I'm not saying that every game should patch as infrequent as Brood War, or that patches should be only for extreme circumstances. In fact, I think the fact that a balance patch is released at all inspires confidence that Nintendo does care about the competitive scene. It's just an trend I have noticed in a lot of competitive multiplayer games recently that I find frustrating.

Absolute Zero

Smash Cadet
NNID
xXAbsoluteZeroXx
I seem to have more trouble k.o.ing with Zero Suit Samus, but that could just be me, also may just be inmy head but Marth seems to have sslightly increased range, and it seems harder to spike with him, but all this just could be me. I feel as though they should have been a bit more specific for us.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I seem to have more trouble k.o.ing with Zero Suit Samus, but that could just be me, also may just be inmy head but Marth seems to have sslightly increased range, and it seems harder to spike with him, but all this just could be me. I feel as though they should have been a bit more specific for us.
I've always had a bit of trouble for some reason. Air Dodges have scarred me in this game.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I think I may have been a little salty at the state of this balance patch, so I may have exaggerated my point a bit. I do agree with you that balance updates are necessary. I actually like the method that Dota 2 implements over its balance patches (very infrequent with lots of asymmetrical changes), but I guess what concerns me more is the speed at which this first balance patched arrived. There may totally be things that are so overpowered that they are broken, but I don't feel we have had enough time to properly evaluate that. Its entirely possible i'm wrong, but a lack of patch notes makes it harder to discern the motivation behind the changes.

I feel like the mentality of waiting for a nerf on a character the community has decided is overpowered stems from a developer reacting before the community has time to adapt. I completely understand there is a balance, and that leaving a broken system will drive people away, I'm just worried that this mindset, which I feel is represented strongly in the Starcraft 2 community, as well in the League of Legends community will become an issue in this game as well. I know Starcraft has definitely slowed down its patching process, allowing for more time for metagame responses to evolve, but I wonder how much of the current protoss balance whine is still a result of blizzard patching the game so frequently in its infancy. I still do disagree about the patch History of Brood war though. The game's entire balance changes can be summed up in maybe 1/2 of a single Dota 2 update. The actual balance patch was in 2001 (game was released in 1998) with the meta still constantly shifting for many years after the last patch.

Again, I'm not saying that every game should patch as infrequent as Brood War, or that patches should be only for extreme circumstances. In fact, I think the fact that a balance patch is released at all inspires confidence that Nintendo does care about the competitive scene. It's just an trend I have noticed in a lot of competitive multiplayer games recently that I find frustrating.
Yep, good points. I agree.

Of course, part of developing a metagame around a changing game is being able to theorize and test known differences. Imagine if Valve/Icefrog said "6.83 is here, we changed things, have fun!". The only benefit there is that we've got an army of dedicated players with the tools to scan a PC game to death and look for the changes without having to put tons of hours into the game doing so.

With Nintendo being secretive about the actual changes, not only does it lead to skepticism, but it makes it nearly impossible to tell what all is different unless someone goes for a trick they used to have mastered, and suddenly it fails consistently, due to a trait that they can't quite discern having been changed.

But even so, I still have some hope that they'll make (and post) noteworthy balance changes in the future. This very well could have been a bug fix (those DO affect balance, after all) for some of the bugs found after the JP release but before the American release.

Melonfrog

Smash Apprentice
Kids won't continue to pick that team if they get shrekt in matchmaking.

Again, screw the casuals.
It was this offensive attitude that got me bullied out of this forum back during 2009/2010. (Alternate account)
It seriously upsets me after all these years imaturity like this still exists here. Yes, I am a casuel. Does that offend you? Tough.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
It was this offensive attitude that got me bullied out of this forum back during 2009/2010. (Alternate account)
It seriously upsets me after all these years imaturity like this still exists here. Yes, I am a casuel. Does that offend you? Tough.
Yeah. Come on, guys. We're all smash bros. fandom here; no need for this "competitive superiority." :/

I've just been lurking on this thread. Sounds like none of the fighters have really been changed.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I'm becoming increasingly convinced that there are no changes whatsoever and they're just trolling us / covering their butts incase they accidentally changed something.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Yeah. Come on, guys. We're all smash bros. fandom here; no need for this "competitive superiority." :/

I've just been lurking on this thread. Sounds like none of the fighters have really been changed.
On the other hand, there's no need for "casual superiority" either, or "elitism" as I like to call it.

Bowsy

Smash Rookie
It seriously upsets me after all these years immaturity like this still exists here. Yes, I am a casual. Does that offend you? Tough.
FTFY

Raijinken

Smash Master
Wasn't implying that either. lol

Can't we all just get along? xC
Generally yes, but some just don't want to. It's a matter of people learning to stop taking random jabs at the side they don't like, when such debate has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

And again, bug fixes affect balance, and as we've yet to see any noteworthy changes, I'm going to assume it was just bugfixes until proven otherwise.

Last edited:

Lord P Wallington

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0688-5453-3611
I think that it might just be better online connectivity. I've felt like online matches are smoother lately, but it could just be a placebo :p

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Isn't the patch like ~100MB? How have a billion conspiracy theories not been formed yet?

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I like the theory of it just improving internet connectivity. I've heard a lot of people say things feel less a lot smoother.
It is pretty hard to imagine Nintendo doing buffs/nerfs this early into the game, anyway, as much as I would like that.

PeachPlumPear

Smash Cadet
Isn't the patch like ~100MB? How have a billion conspiracy theories not been formed yet?
It's a Halloween event patch. All projectiles will become jack-o-lanterns on Halloween and Sudden Death will be who can avoid the headless horseman for the longest.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Im quite sure earlier rosaluma earlier always could pick up the fire hydrant from pacman onstage, thats no longer the case.

Darkzephr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-4533-2435
If there haven't been any actual balance changes, this is also an issue. Its a very poor idea to establish the precedent that "Nintendo is willing to lie in its version updates". If they do this frequently it will be even harder. Misinformation will run rampant and the chore of discerning what has actually changed in the game will draw people away. I would honestly prefer ghost patching over a patch intentionally containing misinformation.

As an aside, I think ghost patching in certain games can actually be kind of a cool idea. My significant other plays Guild Wars 2, and was telling me about how in the latest patch they did not detail any of the content they released. just "new content has been released" or something. In that context it can actually be really cool. They still detailed their class changes apparently, which is fair considering there is PvP in the game.

NivinyaFate

Smash Cadet
NNID
Fate684
3DS FC
2423-4511-5468
Im quite sure earlier rosaluma earlier always could pick up the fire hydrant from pacman onstage, thats no longer the case.
It's acting weird, but it's still possible. I'm testing it against CPU opponents, but the first fire hydrent placed I could not pick up with gravitational pull even standing right next to it/on top of it, but the next 3 I picked up without a problem. I restarted a new game and that time I couldn't put up the first, could pick up the 2nd, but couldn't pick up the 3rd or 4th. On the 3rd game I could pick up 5 in a row (CPU was practically spamming them at first) but the 6th and 7th I could not pick up. Each time it failed I tried multple gravitational pulls from different distances/directions but so far haven't figured out why it's not working one way or the other 100% of the time, so it could potentially be a new bug.

It's possible this isn't new behavior as I haven't fought many Pacman players so I may have just gotten lucky with all my pulls working in the previous version.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Wasn't implying that either. lol

Can't we all just get along? xC
Oh, I didn't mean that at you, in any case.
I was merely using your part of the discussion to make an important point that it is the behavior and not the opinion that the person holds that is evil, in this case at least.
how can there be negative 100mb if there are only 100 bytes in the world
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:

MasTar

Smash Rookie
did little mac lose his super armor at all? got a bet with a friend

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I like how nobody has started raving about speculating that they just patched in the extra filler spot for Mewtwo so it'll be ready later down the road. ¦D

You'd think there'd be about 50 thousand posts going back and forth about it. lol

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I hope they did something to suggest people to activate the streetpass for this game.

rhysmorgan

Smash Rookie
NNID
rhysm94
I think I may have been a little salty at the state of this balance patch, so I may have exaggerated my point a bit. I do agree with you that balance updates are necessary. I actually like the method that Dota 2 implements over its balance patches (very infrequent with lots of asymmetrical changes), but I guess what concerns me more is the speed at which this first balance patched arrived. <snip>
This wasn't the first patch to claim to include a balance patch. 1.0.2 also supposedly had rebalancing in it.

how can there be negative 100mb if there are only 100 bytes in the world
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
That's a tilde symbol, not a minus symbol.

EDIT: Wait, wat. 100 bytes?

Last edited by a moderator:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Maybe it's just me, because I read about the update and I'm suggested by that, but I feel like Kirby is a bit different now, hitbox, physics and speed wise. I can no longer turn back after activating the b+up, I abused of that move. Also, it looks a bit harder to grab people, but maybe it's just me.

EDIT: I did the turn back thing. They reduced the frame to do it, or it just works better online due to the lag.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I really hope they adjust the drop rate of new mii hats. I've been stuck at 52/55 for the last 3 weeks and that's all I need to unlock everything 100%. I've gotten so bored running classic mode
Come to the dark side of hammers...seriously, the challenge is too ridiculous to do.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Come to the dark side of hammers...seriously, the challenge is too ridiculous to do.
Kinda the point. Most games drag out the last 1% with grinding. Like SM3DL's mystery box star coins, or SM3DW's beating every level as every character. Or even KIU's hardest challenges that require specificly made weapons.

Top Bottom