• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Version 1.0.3 is out!!

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
I can only hope that they buffed Ike and Shulk from crap tier and nerfed rolls with less invincibility during the end or increased end lag. But since it's Nintendo I won't get my hopes up

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Someone test the Down B landing lag cancel with Link / Toon Link / Peach.
It works. I can also confirm Mega Man's buster shots are traveling farther, about a single character length, in addition to his F smash traveling farther. Fully charged, it used to fly about 55-60% of the distance of FD, now it travels 75%. I have observed no other differences as a Mega Man Main.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
The fact that we even have to dig around to look for changes is sad...

Nintendo gonna Nintendo.
In PM, I asked a member of the Backroom why a changelog isn't available immediately, and they figured its because it allows people to not freak out about their characters becoming unplayable. They have to play and learn for themselves. This isn't a flawless strategy, but it certainly works when you consider most of the nerfs in that game for characters come with a handful of buffs to also consider.

In the case of this patch, it's for bug fixes, not some grand balancing update. Players should stop assuming they'll get a complete game overhaul after a month of the game being out.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
561 Blocks for me, NA, tons of saved replays

Last edited:

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Ike is crap tier? o.O I win a lot with him...
From personal experience it's almost impossible to win with Ike (in Brawl and in Smash 4 since Nintendo left Ike essentially the same) against a good player. His smash attacks are too slow (makes me wish he got the Bowser treatment; making him faster and still retaining his power), his only reliable options are his throw and jab since this game has a ton of aerial lag so aerials can easily be blocked and punished and dash attacks that aren't like ZSS's can be punished with a forward smash. Also his recovery is arguably the worst in the game. I'm glad to see you can make Ike work but he's very limited compared to the rest of the cast.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
From personal experience it's almost impossible to win with Ike (in Brawl and in Smash 4 since Nintendo left Ike essentially the same) against a good player. His smash attacks are too slow (makes me wish he got the Bowser treatment; making him faster and still retaining his power), his only reliable options are his throw and jab since this game has a ton of aerial lag so aerials can easily be blocked and punished and dash attacks that aren't like ZSS's can be punished with a forward smash. Also his recovery is arguably the worst in the game. I'm glad to see you can make Ike work but he's very limited compared to the rest of the cast.
Uhhh, tilts?

His recovery is also nowhere near as bad as Little Mac. It might even be better than Marth / Lucina since he at least has 2 recovery options.

This isn't really a thread for discussing Ike, though, we need to find more changes.

Last edited:

N-TG

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2895-6748-7989
In PM, I asked a member of the Backroom why a changelog isn't available immediately, and they figured its because it allows people to not freak out about their characters becoming unplayable. They have to play and learn for themselves. This isn't a flawless strategy, but it certainly works when you consider most of the nerfs in that game for characters come with a handful of buffs to also consider.

In the case of this patch, it's for bug fixes, not some grand balancing update. Players should stop assuming they'll get a complete game overhaul after a month of the game being out.
I'll have to disagree with that, even for bug fixes or changes in the characters they need to say what they've changed. Nintendo said that they want to target more the hardcore gamers group and those players like reading patch notes, to analyze and start finding more strategies even as they download the patch. Hiding those things, is not a good strategy from their part, as they show fear for alienating people to their favorite character.

As they say in MOBAs, if you're good with that character, you'll still be good, unless they completely re-design him, something that they won't do in Smash.

Last edited:

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Uhhh, tilts?

His recovery is also nowhere near as bad as Little Mac. It might even be better than Marth / Lucina since he at least has 2 recovery options.
I forgot to talk about tilts. Up-tilt can be used only on approaching enemies but it's a reliable move. Ike has no reliable kill move with the exception of his aerials when the opponent is outside of the stage (but since Brawl air dodges are a thing it's not that reliable), down tilt is Ike's go-to tilt move but it is slow (if it whiffs, expect to be punished), forward tilt is just as bad in terms of unreliability (personally I think this move should never be used, it's not as punishable as an f-smash but a running grab serves a better purpose than using an f-tilt). You're right, Little Mac's recovery is worse but Mac needs a bad recovery to make up for his godly ground game whereas Ike only has his brute strength with no reliable kill moves other than the ones I stated above. Marth/Lucina's recovery is all they need, the arc has been improved from Brawl so if you fast fall correctly you can always catch the ledge (which is difficult to contest by how fast their recovery is)

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Zeru I don't want to take anything you say seriously after saying Shulk is a "crap tier" character

But again, this isn't a thread for that

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
Ok, as a Palutena user, I noticed that her tilts are noticeably faster now. Also, I'm not sure if it is just me, but I think her up smash has a little bit more range now. My theory about conquest mode is that they use it as a means to balance out the game.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559

I'm not familiar nor concerned with the way the PMBR runs things but in the fighting games I'm familiar with all updates come with patch notes, no matter how small.

I never stated nor expected this to be some huge balance patch but ive been playing long enough to know one or two minor changes can completely alter how a character plays.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Rumored Changes said:
"From 4chan:
Yoshi no longer has armor on his aerials
Wario's weird vectoring is still present
Mega Buster (FSmash) now travels farther (Almost half the stage)
The Conquest Chart will no longer be displayed when Conquest Mode is active.
ZSS Apparently nerfed, DSpecial and UpSpecial don't KO at 90%
Ness' DAir Meteors are easier to hit
Falcon DThrow easier to connect, knee also easier to connect
Possible upgrade in internet servers
Yoshi Ledge glitch unfixed
Ganon DTilt has a different trajectory. (From straight up to up and away)
They fixed ALL of Meta Knights hitbox problems
Sheik has little to no landing lag on her FAir
Shulk's FAir got a range increase, shorter landing lag
Robin's Arcfire lasts longer (probably a frame or two, never used her much)
DK's smashes come out faster (small amount)
Marth's ranges are slightly longer"

"Some people are reporting that shield recharge time has been nerfed."

"Some people are reporting that rolling has been nerfed."
Okay. Just tested the list of 4chan "changes". Here are my results:

- Charged Megabuster still travels the same distance. 5 blocks uncharged on FD Mushroomy Kingdom, and 10 blocks fully charged on FD Mushroomy kingdom. This is the same exact distance as it was in 1.0.2.
- Rush canceling is still in.
- Peach ledgecancel turnips are still in.
- Landlag canceling with Down B is still in.
- Yoshi's jumping armor seems to be intact still. Hard to properly test on a CPU however.
- No idea how to test the Wario vectoring and DeDeDe Gordo glitches. Sorry.
- ZSS's Up B still seems pretty strong to me. I did forget to test her before downloading the patch however.
- Ness's Dair doesn't seem easier to hit the meteor with, sadly. As a Ness main, I can confirm this with absolute certainty.
- Captain Falcon's Dthrow and Fair still seem to be the same.
- Ganon's Dtilt still sends opponents up.
- Sheik had little to no landing lag on her Fair to begin with. :/ Not sure why this was mentioned.
- Shulk Fair is the same, sadly. No range increase (lol) or landing lag decrease at all.
- Robin's arcfire lasts for about 40 seconds now! (I'm joking, it's the same)
- DK's smashes are still the same speed, sadly.
- Marth still misses with the tip of the Falchion on his Fsmash animation (not the actual tipper hitbox mind you).
- Likewise, Lucina has no noticeable changes. The hitboxes of her moves do seem to match her attack animations better than Marth's however. This is probably due to how Marth is slightly taller than Lucina. So they probably nixed Marth's range a bit so that his hitboxes and Lucina's would match so that he wouldn't have a range advantage against her.
- The above is, of course, just my opinion. And has nothing to do with this patch really.
- Rolling and shield recharge are still the exact same.
- Meta Knight's hitboxes are still booty butt-cheeks.

The 4chan "changelog" is complete bogus. Thus far, there appears to be no noticeable character changes.

Last edited:

XXXCheckmate

Smash Rookie
NNID
XXCheckmate
3DS FC
0774-4671-5159
Can anyone elaborate for me this Game and Watch and Pikachu thing that keeps popping every-so-often?

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Robin's arcfire now has six uses instead of nine. All other tomes and the levin sword have the same durability, and can still be thrown for good damage when depleted.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Ok, as a Palutena user, I noticed that her tilts are noticeably faster now. Also, I'm not sure if it is just me, but I think her up smash has a little bit more range now. My theory about conquest mode is that they use it as a means to balance out the game.
Her tilts go the same speed to me, as much as I would like her tilts to be faster.
Robin's arcfire now has six uses instead of nine. All other tomes and the levin sword have the same durability, and can still be thrown for good damage when depleted.
Robin's arcfire has always had six uses.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Her tilts go the same speed to me, as much as I would like her tilts to be faster.

Really? I had to look up online to see how many uses somebody wrote down for it on the wiki...how can we be expected to know what's changed if we didn't know such basic information to begin with?

BlitzMaster2000

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlitzMaster9000
Been testing Sonic, and although the Smash wiki states that his Back Air deals 15% damage, I've found that it's dealing 14%. Minor change, I know, but at least it's something. I can't tell if it deals more knockback though.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Really? I had to look up online to see how many uses somebody wrote down for it on the wiki...how can we be expected to know what's changed if we didn't know such basic information to begin with?
Yes. Here are the actual amount of uses per move:

Elwind: 9 uses
Arcfire: 6 uses
Nosferatu: 4 uses
Thunder: 20 uses. Different levels of charge waste more uses. Thoron wastes 8 uses.
Levin Sword: 8 uses.
Jab 3: Wastes 1 use of Arcfire.
Rapid Jab: Wastes 1 or more Elwind uses depending on how long it is held? There might be a cap on it. I haven't really tested this one.

These have always been the same.

Cette

Smash Rookie
Can anyone elaborate for me this Game and Watch and Pikachu thing that keeps popping every-so-often?
I think that's referring to how, in team battles, you can easily use a single Thunder to instantly fill G&W's bucket

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'll have to disagree with that, even for bug fixes or changes in the characters they need to say what they've changed. Nintendo said that they want to target more the hardcore gamers group and those players like reading patch notes, to analyze and start finding more strategies even as they download the patch. Hiding those things, is not a good strategy from their part, as they show fear for alienating people to their favorite character.

As they say in MOBAs, if you're good with that character, you'll still be good, unless they completely re-design him, something that they won't do in Smash.
The pro scene for Dota is a pretty good example of "They nerfed it, it is now trash."
Sometimes a team will try re-learning or trying a nerfed hero, but Batrider took three months to resurface in pro Dota after his 6.80 nerfs. Same for Wisp, they appeared completely useless compared to before.

It's a double-edged technique. This way, people get antsy, that way, people freak out and change mains.

I'd rather have notes, since I main by favoritism, but that's just me.

And to my eye, Megaman's projectiles look identically spaced. That's just about 20 hours of the demo plus a few in the final version speaking, though.

Elwind: 9 uses
Arcfire: 6 uses
Nosferatu: 4 uses
Thunder: 20 uses. Different levels of charge waste more uses. Thoron wastes 8 uses.
Jab 3: Wastes 1 use of Arcfire.
Rapid Jab: Wastes 1 or more Elwind uses depending on how long it is held? There might be a cap on it. I haven't really tested this one.

Wind Jab will consume charges until you stop or it runs out. When it runs out, he stops jabbing and drops the tome.

Last edited:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
LMAO @ the people who "noticed a slight change"

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
If I can toss my hat in the ring, did Dark Pit's Forward Throw always do 10%? I swear to God it did 11%.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Peach's ftilt now hits at a 63 degree angle rather than a 62 degree angle so please add that to the change list

Lime Slices: 9 uses
PK Fire: 6 uses
Shadow Realm: 4 uses
Ki Blast: 20 uses. Different levels of charge waste more uses. Masenko wastes 8 uses.
Jab 3: Wastes 1 use of PK Fire.
Rapid Jab: Wastes 1 or more Lime Slices uses depending on how long it is held? There might be a cap on it. I haven't really tested this one.

Yup sounds right.

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
The pro scene for Dota is a pretty good example of "They nerfed it, it is now trash."
Sometimes a team will try re-learning or trying a nerfed hero, but Batrider took three months to resurface in pro Dota after his 6.80 nerfs. Same for Wisp, they appeared completely useless compared to before.

It's a double-edged technique. This way, people get antsy, that way, people freak out and change mains.

I'd rather have notes, since I main by favoritism, but that's just me.

And to my eye, Megaman's projectiles look identically spaced. That's just about 20 hours of the demo plus a few in the final version speaking, though.

Wind Jab will consume charges until you stop or it runs out. When it runs out, he stops jabbing and drops the tome.
Wisp is still ridiculously strong given the proper team-mates, and an experienced Batrider is a god-damned nightmare to play against.

Doesn't really seem like it would be the same in Smash though. In Dota, nobody has 'mains' but in Smash we do.
Dunno. I guess I'll just wait a few days for the confirmed changes, if there even are any.

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet

Okay, now that I did some thinking and some testing (with the previous version), I was going through the placebo affect. Palutena is the same. I also tested out megaman some. Many people say that his Forward smash goes further, however, it looks exactly the same in comparison the the last patch. It would be nice for nintendo to release info about what was "balanced"

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Donkey Kong's Up B has been renamed to "Raise your Dongers" its official and it completely changes his playstyle add to changelist

Top Bottom