• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vanish Planking

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Vanish Planking

OH YEAH BABY!!!! IT IS BACK!!!!!!!

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXjr9_1cDoM

*How to perform*

*ledge drop double jump Vanish*
This version is the easiest and by far the lowest risk version of Vanish planking.
Simply ledge drop, double jump and wait. If Sheik does not grab the ledge wait for the Vanish to go off and then hold towards the ledge. If you mess up you either grabbed the ledge or went to high. In case of the second you will just reappear on stage.

*ledge drop Vanish*
By far the highest risk and when I say high, I mean it.
Simply ledge drop, vanish and hold down on the analog. Holding down on the analog will keep Sheik from grabbing the ledge. If you let up off of the analog or if you move it in any other directions she will automatically grab the ledge.
The trick here is you have to wait for her to start her explosion. At this point you point the analog at the ledge.
If you mess up you will either Vanish straight down and die or Vanish under the stage and die.
That being said, this is by far the sexiest version.

Viva la Sheik!

Browny

Smash Hater
Seems like this has a lot of vulnerable frames to be considered planking? Also using your double jump well before a hitbox actually comes out is asking for a gimp if they hit ouy offstage with a dsmash or something :/

saviorslegacy

Actually Sheik becomes invincible during the start up of Vanish. She isn't invincible during the whole thing, but a good part of it. I even use it to bait with since people will try and hit me before I use Vanish. To their surprise, I take no damage. lol

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You realize the only reason this was actually any good in Melee is because Sheik was completely invulnerable throughout the stall, right? Even then, it's easy to react to and just steal the ledge while she attempts it.

saviorslegacy

Yeah I know, to bad that got nerfed. This is still somewhat useful considering the rest of her ledge options. :urg:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol sigh i saw u post about this in the melee sheik boards and automatically knew you'd try to apply it to brawl sheik

cmon son!

i figured out this was unreliable, if not useless, the moment i picked up sheik

How about this compared to regular fall -> vanish, merely canceling the frames of vanish by a ledge grab. Wouldnt' that be more plankish style? Or is that vulnerable?

You realize the only reason this was actually any good in Melee is because Sheik was completely invulnerable throughout the stall, right? Even then, it's easy to react to and just steal the ledge while she attempts it.
I know a Melee Shiek who does this a lot in melee. I didn't know it was possible to have time to steal the edge. I will have to practice this lol Learn something about melee in the brawl forums, go figure.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Sorry Saviors but I believe this is punishable. At best you only have like 2-3 vulnerable frames, but all an MK has to do is space a dsmash or something and time it, and you're screwed. Technically you can have 0 vulnerability frames but you have to do vanish asap after letting go of the ledge, which leaves you at an awkward spot to try and regrab the ledge.

Judo777

Smash Master
Sorry Saviors but I believe this is punishable. At best you only have like 2-3 vulnerable frames, but all an MK has to do is space a dsmash or something and time it, and you're screwed. Technically you can have 0 vulnerability frames but you have to do vanish asap after letting go of the ledge, which leaves you at an awkward spot to try and regrab the ledge.
more frames than that my friend. I tried this out for a while and IMO the safest way to even attempt is jump ledge drop then immediately vanish and grab the ledge asap. However its still very vlunerable (especially since in that case there is no hitbox whatsoever.

In the case where sheiks hitbox does come out. Sheik has like 30 some frames of startup before invincible, since you run out of invincibility about 7 or 8 frames early (guesses) its very very easy to stop.

The first case is a little better and could maybe be done once to mix up when ur coming on stage but to plank with it just seems like suicide.

Lastly holing down then trying to snag the ledge after the explosion is so insanely hard to do its really not worth it. You have like a 2 frame window to go from down to holding the direction of the ledge and sheiks vanish isn't the easiest thing to time.

saviorslegacy

I still say it is one of her better options on the ledge. <,<
Equalox said he would help me test a few things tonight. I'll test this as well.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Ankoku had a vid of this in WiFi training room back in 08' and we pretty much all agreed that this isn't a good option. Looks flashy though I do it in friendlies a lot.

Top Bottom