• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vanish out of a sheild

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I've been watching a lot of Samus videos and notice that some players (like HugS) use their screw attack out of a sheild. Now I know Sheik isn't samus and vanish isn't the screw attack with it's almost instant activation time but it does have invinicibility. Do you think it's a trick worth looking further into or just not worth the trouble?

FalseFalco

Smash Master
You get frames after the move starts, not on startup. So you leave yourself open at the start of the move, and when you land.

Would probably work though.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
I've messed with this some. It's not as abusable as Samus' upB due to the invulnerability coming late (as FalseFalco mentioned). It's cool to use sometimes to throw your opponent off guard but if you spam it or use it too predictably you will get punished pretty easily.

Vs Samus on Corneria it won't work since Samus get's her invulnerability frames up front. Her ubP is also much faster so she'll be able to control the ledge.

Luma

Smash Lord
u never heard of mindgames rohins? who the hell would expect something like his? ofc u cant spam it, but u can do it 1-2 times

and if the samus is in the right position (for u) she would not sweetspot anyway

APImagine

Smash Apprentice
Quick question, does the distance you travel when you vanish depend on how far you tilt the control stick when you perform the move?

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
u never heard of mindgames rohins? who the hell would expect something like his? ofc u cant spam it, but u can do it 1-2 times

and if the samus is in the right position (for u) she would not sweetspot anyway
No, what are mindgames? </sarcasm>

Samus can sweet spot the ledge almost anywhere on Corneria. The only spots she can't sweet spot are when she's too far away (past that vertical peak on the little slope on the right). You would only be safe to upB to the ledge when she is really(really) far away.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
completely useless with shiek. any decent player would fsmash you out of your 1023910237123 seconds of startup. you might as well try to falcon punch them. that works sometimes right?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
lol, the last time i saw someone get falcon punched it was after a shield break. the thing is, nobody who pays attention to the game gets falcon punched unless they are ********.

APImagine

Smash Apprentice
Any decent player who DOES get Falcon Punched probably wouldn't help feeling at least SLIGHTLY ashamed.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
the vanish to nair drop on corneria works really well if u can get the person in the corner. I usually face the direction, let them jump or dash at me then do it so the vanish sets them up for a bunch of them. They will usually try to hit you out of it which they cant unless they block the vanish and nair, which if they do u can easily grab or use a different attack.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
the vanish to nair drop on corneria works really well if u can get the person in the corner. I usually face the direction, let them jump or dash at me then do it so the vanish sets them up for a bunch of them. They will usually try to hit you out of it which they cant unless they block the vanish and nair, which if they do u can easily grab or use a different attack.
getting trapped in the corner wont keep them stuck. if u hit them with the vanish, they blast up and tech, at best you can drop down and nair before they settle themselves. they will tech that again. if u try to vanish again, they will either hit you out of it or sheild, either way not good for you.

yomedrath

Smash Apprentice
i think i once saw a video of someone using this on corneria several times

i have no idea what it was, it might have also been a dream xD

i think its usefull if you can sweetspot the ledge , otherwise its just crap... its not fast, it doesnt have combo potential, and hell, you cant mindgame anyone with it Oo

"yeah, i did a move no one expected" oh no, they have about 2 seconds to press shiel and then punish your horrible lag with a f-smash or warlock punch kill Oo

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
i think i once saw a video of someone using this on corneria several times

i have no idea what it was, it might have also been a dream xD

i think its usefull if you can sweetspot the ledge , otherwise its just crap... its not fast, it doesnt have combo potential, and hell, you cant mindgame anyone with it Oo

"yeah, i did a move no one expected" oh no, they have about 2 seconds to press shiel and then punish your horrible lag with a f-smash or warlock punch kill Oo
was prolly the vid in my sig where u saw this

getting trapped in the corner wont keep them stuck. if u hit them with the vanish, they blast up and tech, at best you can drop down and nair before they settle themselves. they will tech that again. if u try to vanish again, they will either hit you out of it or sheild, either way not good for you.
And what u said is not very true, i HAVE used this in competitive play and ppl think exactly what u r saying so they try to hit me and get juggled atleast 3 times. Believe me, u have more than enough to time vanish again after the nair drop, if they do block it, then DONT vanish again. It works on floaties and fast fallers. If you know what ur doing it works well b/c u gain invincibility from sweet spotting the wing which gives u enough time to vanish and gain that invincibility too. By the time they recover to hit u after the first explosion->nair, u already are exploding. If they Block the explosion, ur safe holding the edge and can retreat or mind game them to set it up again.

Its not the ULTIMATE technique, or as great as samus' version, but it DOES work.

EDIT: It works better if they wall/floor tech b/c the time it takes for them to move again gives u enough time to keep attacking with it.

Top Bottom