• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utilizing fair in combos

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I've never seen a pikachu affectively use fair in any of the videos I've watched. I'm not exactly sure why because fair is probably Pika's best way to combo and or chain your opponent. Here are some way I utilize fair with Pikachu:

1. Upthrow/Upsmash fair chain - If your opponent is directly above you via upsmash, upthrow or uptilt you can jump up and fair them. If you do it correctly (you have to fastfall it) the fair will essentially bring your opponent down to the ground with you. From there you can either grab them again and keep chaining fair's to grabs or you can upsmash(depending on the damage you could keep the chain going after the upsmash too). On some characters, if they don't DI correctly you can 0-death chain them.

2. Fair to upair spike - Basically you need to fair somewhat below and infront of them. So I'd suggest fair'ing their feet with the tip of Pika's head. This is easiest to control when their at a height where you have to double jump to reach them. Fair'ing while you're still moving upwards from your jump is pritty critical, because it keeps you stuck to your opponent. Fair'ing at the peak or while you're descending will keep you out of position and too far below them.

3. Fair to nair - This is fairly simple and will only work with a double jump'ed fair. Again, just make sure you're moving up while you fair so you stick to them. After the fair is done you should be able to nair.

4. Fair to upwards upair - This is probably the hardest one to accomplish. I've only been able to accomplish it fairly consistently in the past couple weeks. As far as I can tell you want to fair somewhat below them and with Pika's rear. Again, for the most control you want to be fair'ing while moving up. This is optimal for continuing combos or chains.

Anyways I just thought I'd share some of my Pika combos with you guys. Let me know if you disagree with anything I said or if you have any questions.

N64

Smash Champion
Looks good. You can also sometimes falling fair through someone, so that you end up on the other side of the opponent and slightly below them. You can then uair, which should pop them up if you're positioned correctly, and can l-cancel this if you're close to the ground and it'll lead into a rising uair/nair/fair.

I like fair combos. The main problem I find with fairing is that it can be DI'd in most situations (if the opponent knows what they're doing) so that it's difficult or sometimes impossible to combo something out of it.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
No, I really don't feel like testing the chain on every character in the game. I'm fairly sure you can work the chain to some degree on almost every character in the game. What makes it work so well is Pika's extraordinary ability to grab while the other character is still pritty high off the stage. It kind of like sucks them down into the grab lol.

whitewulf

Smash Apprentice
No, I really don't feel like testing the chain on every character in the game. I'm fairly sure you can work the chain to some degree on almost every character in the game. What makes it work so well is Pika's extraordinary ability to grab while the other character is still pritty high off the stage. It kind of like sucks them down into the grab lol.
on space animals *last I tried* I got them to about...70 before but that was because I had ff'd too fast and the usmash sends them a bit too high to do it afterwards...maybe it works better of fast fallers than floaty charecters...

sweetooth

Smash Ace
its difficult to do it every single time perfectly. but when you pull of a decent combo, it looks great. kinda like pillaring... or a really fancy way of chain grabbing

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
yeah...sheer, like i said somewhere else in the pika forums...i also use the fair A LOT...not many pikas do...but i think its broken...like i said...our pikas arent dat different...but i completely agree that every pika needs to start utilizing fair better....peace

-hiroshi

Top Bottom