• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

A4Foot1Giant

Smash Rookie
NNID
A4Foot1Gnt
I am liking it but i feel like i won't fully grasp the game until i get a gc controller to play it with.

Last edited:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
I love when we do real talk!

ok

With the nerf to air dodge and sdi, and some pre-liminary findings from various characters it looks like sm4sh will have a decent punish game, with some nice movestrings and kill set ups. That and the increased pace of the game are going to make sm4sh fairly dynamic and responsive!

Also, it might end up being toxic, but I like the idea of the movestring cancels we've seen (like diddy and/or megaman's escape).
Cause I really want to shout C - C - C - COMBO BREAKER and be relevant.

Also, there are some absolutely ridiculous character mechanics that are going to be hilarious to see explored at the tournament level (I'm looking at you Duck Hunt Dog can, Rosalina, DDD's gordo, shulk stances)

Last edited:

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
Ok real talk time. Why do you like Smash 4 or why do you not like smash 4?
I like the air dodge lag, especially close to the ground. I've slowly adapted trying to bait ppl to air dodge and then punish on the ground. The speed of the game is good. Even though being in the air is floaty, fast fall makes it fine. Also online is nice, especially 1v1. I get to practice against more strats.
But something that I absolutely hate so far is playing against Rosalina. Maybe there is a window to punish, but I have played against like 4 Rosalinas online that just CONSTANTLY roll when I approach and I can never seem to punish the roll every time I anticipate it. I have played against others that dont roll all the time and the matchup is fine with me. But I don't like that rolling is really good in this game (especially Rosalina's)

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I think that the air dodge lag is the best thing that smash 4 has. I don't like how much this game relies on rolling. I also don't like how safe jabs are on shield (unless you roll.) I dislike the amount of shield push as well.

Also I feel like a lot of attacks have a massive amount of lag even though the attack is over. An easy example of this is Megamans dair. =/

It feels like a lot of attacks don't match their animations. Examples: Falcon Jab, Mac Jab. Both of these have much more range than shown. While an attack like Metaknights ftilt and dsmash don't have enough range. It really feels like the game was rushed and presented to us. It just feels incomplete.

edit: I forgot to mention the best part of smash 4 being able to play it on the toilet.

Last edited:

net1234

Smash Ace
s
I think that the air dodge lag is the best thing that smash 4 has. I don't like how much this game relies on rolling. I also don't like how safe jabs are on shield (unless you roll.) I dislike the amount of shield push as well.

Also I feel like a lot of attacks have a massive amount of lag even though the attack is over. An easy example of this is Megamans dair. =/

It feels like a lot of attacks don't match their animations. Examples: Falcon Jab, Mac Jab. Both of these have much more range than shown. While an attack like Metaknights ftilt and dsmash don't have enough range. It really feels like the game was rushed and presented to us. It just feels incomplete.

edit: I forgot to mention the best part of smash 4 being able to play it on the toilet.
smash 4 tourney in sinz's bathroom starting right now

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
I think the rolling will die down as the game progresses, isn't this the same meta-game development melee had? If its fast we'll just start reading the rolls earlier.

Also, I feel like the lag is a fair (hah, smash pun) trade off for the utility of certain moves. It adds depth by presenting a high risk/high reward scenario.

In terms of hitboxes: have you seen melee falco's dair? sheik's fair?? marth's grab range???

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
>jabs being safe on shield is a bad thing

wat
You shouldn't be able to finish a complete jab string and be able to roll away before you get grabbed or punished. Yet you can jab onto someones shield, the last hit happens they get shield pushed and then you get away.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Wait, who's full jab combo is safe on shield? I havent run into a single character who's jab combo I couldnt punish out of shield.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
just wanted to remind everyone that we will have a pm tournament today at the provo game den weekly since it is the second tuesday of the month. we will also be holding a smash 3ds side tourney every week now that everyone's had time to unlock most things. these *will* be rated.

for those that are new, everyone who doesn't bring a full setup must pay a $5 venue fee since the store stays open late specifically for us. we will probably do a swiss-style tournament again, so no one has to worry about getting eliminated early. if you have a setup, please bring one as the swiss-style tournament is a lot more efficient with more setups.

venue opens for friendlies at around 5pm. be at the venue by 7pm if you want to be in the tourney. contact @ Tsuteto Tsuteto if you want to enter the tourney but cannot make it to the venue by 7pm. as always, snacks and drinks are available on site for purchase.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Wait, who's full jab combo is safe on shield? I havent run into a single character who's jab combo I couldnt punish out of shield.
then you should probably tell them to stop jabbing. the first hit of a jab generally is safe, if you hit a shield, stop jabbing and you'll be k

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
megaman's is (its funny bcuz its both true and irrelevant)
You got me.

then you should probably tell them to stop jabbing. the first hit of a jab generally is safe, if you hit a shield, stop jabbing and you'll be k
I know that lol, but Everett here is saying full jab combos are safe on shield.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Nair cant be with Levin Sword lol

Also, his fair works, but its slowish. His nair OoS is a lot like a Toon Link nair OoS and its roughly as fast as a Peach/Ness nair OoS, just it hits in the front first really fast, then in the back later.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
yeah soz I meant if robin used his thunder sword for it but instead he's just like... nah not really feeling it

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
i ****ING HATE THIS ****ING GAME MY WIN RATE IN FG MODE IS DROPPING FROM 65% TO 58% AND IM ****ING PISSED I HATE IT. I CANT FIND A MAIN THAT ISNT BAD

hEY LINK AND TOON LINIK I ****ING AHTE YOUR PEACE OF **** ASS **** YOU

Last edited by a moderator:

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
i am so ****ing mad right now words cannot describe i hate smash 4

if i could dash dance this would be an entirely different game

if any of you see Treeshen online **** him up for me will you. ****ing 55%

Last edited by a moderator:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
oh.

well thats awkward.
do you play robin

I don't think Robin is very good, although i like playing him

i am so ****ing mad right now words cannot describe i hate smash 4

if i could dash dance this would be an entirely different game

if any of you see Treeshen online **** him up for me will you. ****ing 55%
Sorry that happened.

You should just take it as MU experience, I wish I lost to more good players on For Glory, I don't usually learn anything when I two stock people (except for that one Pac-Man player who kept using Up B on the ground to screw with my approaches, if his fundamentals didn't suck then he would have won). Win rate is hovering around 90% over a hundred games, so win rate really doesn't mean anything tbh.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Ive started just playing random on For Glory cuz then its more of a challenge.

wangston

Smash Lord
So how much is the game den tourney? I thought it got changed to 3$ fee and $3 venue? Is it back to 5? Didd it ever change? Am I making this up?

Top Bottom