• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Wobbling is tricky to set-up but if you get it they die and it works on every character
wave-shining doesn't.

Wobbling is hype in high level, not so hype in low level because people *****.
I never referenced wave-shining. I'm mainly comparing wobbling to shining a recovering opponent. Both require setup. Both require discipline.

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
So a quick announcement, I'm planning to do brackets next week. There will be no venue and a 3 dollar buy in. Always starts at 5 and we have till they kick us out which is like 930? So hopefully we can get this done in a timely manner.

Also, shoutouts to everyone who came out n stuff.
@ Gojirakaiju Gojirakaiju stay salty my friend :)

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
So... who all plans on picking up Sm4sh at midnight and playing into the morning? And who all plans on sleeping and just playing all day?

Personally, I'm opting for option B. (I'm taking work off that day.) Anyone wanna do a smashfest? Or is everyone gonna be busy at home unlocking crap? XD

TheGrifBaller

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGrifballer
3DS FC
2122-8174-1282
need to get back in the melee scene strayed to far into the Brawl scene need to stop being a noob scrub and get back with melee and pm

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
@ Support. Support. be sure to add your event to the utah smash events doc. highlight the date in green if it's recurring. make up a color for the northern utah area (red is salt lake, blue is provo/orem) to highlight the location.

good to see that we have more scenes popping up in utah ^_^

Tuesday

Smash Ace
So I've been learning Ice Climbers in Melee, and I've been familiarizing myself with their grab game. What's like the general attitude towards wobbling in Utah? I get that people hate it and it's not a good way to make friends, but is it banned in tournaments at all?
I'm going to give some advice on the subject and I hope you take it to heart.

Wobble. Get good at it, practice by yourself and get consistent enough to where you never mess it up. Wobble in tournament and in money matches and when warming up. If you're playing to win, it's absolutely the best option, always.

That said, wobble as little as you possibly can. People rely too much on this perfect punish and never learn how to actually play the neutral, or mind game people into falling for your setups. If you're all gimmicks and no fundamentals, you're never going to be a consistent competitor. ICs are the best character at mid level play because not-so-good players don't know how to not get shield grabbed. This will create a false sense of skill, and it could lead to thinking you're better at the game than you actually are. But good players know how to space so you'll hit a wall of not being able to beat anyone and not knowing why.

Ice Climbers are a very, very difficult character to play at high levels. Make sure you put in the necessary work to not get stuck at a plateau.

Roguay

Smash Journeyman
Roguay- Don't ***** about low tiers. When I challenged you you seemed arrogant and stuck up and proceeded to lose to Bowser in a 8-2 MU. After game one you proceeded to ***** after your D-Air to Falcon punch tech "Read" and left before completing a set. I hope this isn't how you always are or I will not like you but I have a feelign you dont give a ****.
sorry for being salty i dont usually *****, you saw me at my worst

i wasnt having the best day and i felt like i had to play really campy and dumb, besides i was on tilt from something that happened earlier the salt was just from matchup inexperience

/johns but we still cool

Last edited:

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Hate to be that guy but why would there be a ten dollar venue fee at cafe neo? We play there for free all the time and to get the back room we just pay five each even when there's just a handful of us.
Y'know what, let me go ahead, drop $5000+ in equipment for the community to have an easier time to just compete, and then run everything for free. Perfect sense!

Sorry (not sorry) for the sarcasm there, but really, my business is for profit. I do these major ones every four months. If it was a monthly, I could probably understand. But this event is meant to be big enough for a bunch of other people to come from out of state as well, aka a regional. Furthermore, I still do give discounts where possible depending on what you yourself want to do, which does cut into my final profit margin. The last two Smasher's Tales I've lost about $50 each on. So, yeah.
Edit: To explain why it's a loss: Kafeneio's costs me $400 for the whole day. The back room is not for free.
@ Support. Support. make up a color for the northern utah area (red is salt lake, blue is provo/orem) to highlight the location.
I see what you did there -.-

Last edited:

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
Y'know what, let me go ahead, drop $5000+ in equipment for the community to have an easier time to just compete, and then run everything for free. Perfect sense!

Sorry (not sorry) for the sarcasm there, but really, my business is for profit. I do these major ones every four months. If it was a monthly, I could probably understand. But this event is meant to be big enough for a bunch of other people to come from out of state as well, aka a regional. Furthermore, I still do give discounts where possible depending on what you yourself want to do, which does cut into my final profit margin. The last two Smasher's Tales I've lost about $50 each on. So, yeah.
Edit: To explain why it's a loss: Kafeneio's costs me $400 for the whole day. The back room is not for free.

I respect that man. have you looked into the possibility of other (cheaper) venues?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium

I support this for a few reasons.

Tim literally supplies 15 or or so complete set ups. He runs the tournament. He accommodates for players a lot. And he books the venues as well.

If it was a monthly I think a 5 is fine. But since its supposed to be bigger I think the 10$ venue is perfectly fine.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
If I host something at my house, will people actually show up for once?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
If I host something at my house, will people actually show up for once?
As the person who probably drives the most to smash I would show up.

That is if it doesn't conflict with my schedule or something

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I respect that man. have you looked into the possibility of other (cheaper) venues?
Somewhat. For a monthly, as an example, Game Den Taylorsville could work out given the size of space they have available, but it works be ran alongside other events. The three issues I find is basically either location, pre booked, or parking, if not cost already of a venue. Wouldn't want to go too far off the free way path, which to me is a primary thing especially for those who come from out of state.

Lumosat

Smash Cadet
I'm going to give some advice on the subject and I hope you take it to heart.

Wobble. Get good at it, practice by yourself and get consistent enough to where you never mess it up. Wobble in tournament and in money matches and when warming up. If you're playing to win, it's absolutely the best option, always.

That said, wobble as little as you possibly can. People rely too much on this perfect punish and never learn how to actually play the neutral, or mind game people into falling for your setups. If you're all gimmicks and no fundamentals, you're never going to be a consistent competitor. ICs are the best character at mid level play because not-so-good players don't know how to not get shield grabbed. This will create a false sense of skill, and it could lead to thinking you're better at the game than you actually are. But good players know how to space so you'll hit a wall of not being able to beat anyone and not knowing why.

Ice Climbers are a very, very difficult character to play at high levels. Make sure you put in the necessary work to not get stuck at a plateau.
I have saved this post and I will read it every day as I train until I am a true smash master like you Tuesday-sensei ;-;

ANGRyPaNDA

Smash Rookie
HEY!!! Inoticed the title!!! me and some friends are looking for some tourneys in utah county... do you guys have anything?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Okay Im actually not liking Smash 4. Too many hitboxes that don't match the animation. Getting hit by jabs a full characters length away from the animation is stupid. Too many hit boxes not matching their animations. It's seriously annoying for trying to space.

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Okay Im actually not liking Smash 4. Too many hitboxes that don't match the animation. Getting hit by jabs a full characters length away from the animation is stupid. Too many hit boxes not matching their animations. It's seriously annoying for trying to space.
Daw. Why'd you get rid of your curse-infused tirade? U mad bro?

I disagree. I think the hitboxes are fine. It's the super armor that takes getting used to.

Tatami

Smash Cadet
Daw. Why'd you get rid of your curse-infused tirade? U mad bro?

I disagree. I think the hitboxes are fine. It's the super armor that takes getting used to.
I dont know, I was messing around with shulk and i've found at least 3 moves that hit in places they really shouldnt. For example his upsmash has side hitboxes where his sword doesnt even reach. His side smash has hitboxes extending just past the glow coming off the energy part of the sword. Its pretty crazy

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
I just see that as different versions of marth's melee grab. That range doesn't make sense but people live with it

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I dont know, I was messing around with shulk and i've found at least 3 moves that hit in places they really shouldnt. For example his upsmash has side hitboxes where his sword doesnt even reach. His side smash has hitboxes extending just past the glow coming off the energy part of the sword. Its pretty crazy
Melee Ganondorf's down-air essentially engulfs his whole body. I haven't seen anything in Smash 4 that stood out as outrageously different (as far as past design is concerned). Soon, we'll all be familiar with them, and it won't seem that big a deal.

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Too many hitboxes that don't match the animation. Getting hit by jabs a full characters length away from the animation is stupid.
THANK YOU!!! I personally like it, but I swear it's like one team made the designs and animations, and one team made hitboxes for balance and they didn't always get along, and never compromised.

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
THANK YOU!!! I personally like it, but I swear it's like one team made the designs and animations, and one team made hitboxes for balance and they didn't always get along, and never compromised.
I swear isnt there a bunch of moves like this in all smash games? Mewtwo in PM (maybe melee also?) up smash hits from the sides and everytime I come from the side to punish my friend doing this I just get pulled in

Gojirakaiju

Smash Rookie
sorry for being salty i dont usually *****, you saw me at my worst

i wasnt having the best day and i felt like i had to play really campy and dumb, besides i was on tilt from something that happened earlier the salt was just from matchup inexperience

/johns but we still cool
I have evolved beyond the point of Johns so to speak. You are cool and I tried to give you MU advice and you made a switch to CF for some odd reason. I am not good at Melee anymore, but to see one of the players that have stepped up to a great player have such an attitude it saddened me.

But I accept your apology. Next time lets run a full set and it wont be long before you the better player ****s me up.

Top Bottom