• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
As someone who only plays Brawl and has tried PM, Id rather just play Melee. I cant wait hopefully a year or so when PM finally dies out and everyone forgets about it.

Snap.

Smash Apprentice
whoever needs a ride down to kafeneio's from the salt-lake-area on saturday, just lemme know here or at 435-640-one221
go away everett

As someone who only plays Brawl and has tried PM, Id rather just play Melee. I cant wait hopefully a year or so when PM finally dies out and everyone forgets about it.
what a negative attitude you guys all have, it's a video game

Last edited:

net1234

Smash Ace
I dont wanna play any game that Tomacawk loses toa hhigh schooler in

But in all seriousness I think pm is fun but not especially viable. Pm is a party game

@ Death Arcana Death Arcana final plays pm like I play pm, for ****s and money

@ Meleeruler Meleeruler you can woop in melee. Watch more taj lol

Last edited:

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Its pretty unnecessary IMO.
Project M has expanded the competitive Smash community tremendously.

**** PM and everything it stands for, if you want Melee, play Melee.
Why are you so angry? I find it so ironic that Brawl players are taking jabs at PM and expect their game to not be verbally torn apart. The people splitting the community are the haters.

But in all seriousness I think pm is fun but not especially viable. Pm is a party game
You're among many players right now trying to justify their losses by invalidating the game.

I for one agree with many of the negative sentiments toward PM but at the same time I've really enjoyed playing it. Its a great game competitively but isn't nearly as fleshed out as Brawl or Melee and I feel thats part of the reason people hate it.

But by comparison, even though its much easier to play mechanically (than Melee) its a very overwhelming game because of the number of viable matchups. And compared to Brawl, the metagame is going to take much much longer than few months to flesh out.

This is coming from a guy who is quitting PM for Melee.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Brawl's meta game was not "fleshed out" in a couple months. Brawl is far deeper than people realize and saying otherwise is dumb.

Am I the only one sick of the hate that seems to circulate from game to game depending on the week? Every game has it's reasons to like it and reasons why people might choose another version as their favorite. I was against pm before giving it a chance for many of the same reasons as people have stated, but after putting a bit of time into the game it is probably my favorite version to play currently. I personally think it's amazing how much work and dedication they've put into a game to make something that so many people love and enjoy. No smash game is going to please everyone.

net1234

Smash Ace
Project M has expanded the competitive Smash community tremendously.

Why are you so angry? I find it so ironic that Brawl players are taking jabs at PM and expect their game to not be verbally torn apart. The people splitting the community are the haters.

You're among many players right now trying to justify their losses by invalidating the game.

I for one agree with many of the negative sentiments toward PM but at the same time I've really enjoyed playing it. Its a great game competitively but isn't nearly as fleshed out as Brawl or Melee and I feel thats part of the reason people hate it.

But by comparison, even though its much easier to play mechanically (than Melee) its a very overwhelming game because of the number of viable matchups. And compared to Brawl, the metagame is going to take much much longer than few months to flesh out.

This is coming from a guy who is quitting PM for Melee.
so far i've only lost in pm to people who would beat me in melee, playing fox falco and sheik (and sinz's lucas who has been in the scene for years ) Not many people in our scene exploit pm characters the way they could be exploited so at a local level these issues dont become as prominent so i guess we have no reason to *****. i personally dislike the game simply because its slower and i dislike the character diversity and gimmicks that come along with it. i should not be able to beat people with my samus that ive rarely ever played simply because of her gimmicks. also @Taj278 is viewing our thread right now so all hail to the mew2king

tl:dr, i shudnt complain, i dont like pm cuz its not my thing, @ Baky Baky is pretty much right

Last edited:

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
I do agree that PM is a bridge between Melee and Brawl. As Brawl is my main game, I have started to understand some of the tech that is in Melee that didn't make much sense / didn't concern me. There are things that I do not understand why they changed from Brawl (what is the reasoning behind only 1 air dodge, sliding off a ledge when I crouch, or not grabbing a ledge when I slide against it just because my back is to it, and even sometimes when I am facing it?) I also agree that there are some balancing issues, and some characters have gimmicks that seem to make the game too simple.

Playing it everyday at school has brought me to this conclusion: yes, I feel it is more balanced overall than Brawl. Yes, it is fun to play with friends. No, I do not foresee myself playing it competitively. Will I continue to hold tournaments for it? Yes. Will it cause me to want to start playing Melee? Probably not. In the end, to me it is an enjoyable game, but due to a large dislike of basic mechanics that they changed from Brawl (ones that I felt were improvements from Melee), it will simply stay as a friendlies game to me.

Last edited:

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
on a more important note
who can help colorado with housing???
salt lake area would be best
Tane?
RJ?
Pumpkins?

Last edited:

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Brawl's meta game was not "fleshed out" in a couple months. Brawl is far deeper than people realize and saying otherwise is dumb.
I wasn't making that statement to offend or incite anger. I was making it because its true. I was there, I was in these forums and was a competitive Brawl player at launch. Played in my first (100+ person) tournament a week later in ATL and several thereafter in numerous states. I saw the posts about Snake being OP and unbeatable and within weeks we started seeing posts about needing to ban MK. With the exception of a few contributions by a few players (like Salem or ESAM) the game was pretty much well understood very quickly and is pretty much played the same way. I'm not speaking about nuances in specific matchups or shifts in the tier list, I'm talking about how the game is generally played.

Of course I make these statements about Brawl relative to Melee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpLNJP58ixI M2K vs Reflex(wario) in 08'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-sFjPNVeZs M2K vs Ally(wario) in 10'

Now for melee (both Marth vs Falco):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FycI-BCmpuY Ken vs PC Chris 06'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0G72xhoOXQ M2K vs DaShizWiz 08'

EDIT: (Notice I picked finals matches between top professionals of the time)

In the Brawl matches, its pretty much the same stuff. Playing the spacing game and basic mind games using the same moves the same way despite 2 years of metagame "development". So no, saying otherwise isn't "dumb".

In the Melee matches, despite ALREADY having 5 years of meta development, in just 2 additional years if you compare these videos, you'd think Ken and PC were noobs compared to Shiz and M2K. (Of course these players have different styles but the differences in tech skill is huge as a result of the developing meta).

Like I said, I'm not trying to insult anyone or incite an argument. Brawl is a great game. I don't think its the best as competitive game but despite not being designed for it, its still really enjoyable for the people who like that defensive style of play. I personally loved it when I played it competitively. I still reminisce of all the good times I had with the game. It was especially enjoyable since I got to play it when it was most hype and I got to play with people like Reflex, Desu, Mookierah and some other great guys in the Atlantic South.

Regardless, why insult me? Having the metagame fleshed out so quickly isn't necessarily a bad thing, you just perceived it that way.

Last edited:

Baky

Smash Journeyman
i personally dislike the game simply because its slower and i dislike the character diversity and gimmicks that come along with it. i should not be able to beat people with my samus that ive rarely ever played simply because of her gimmicks.
Not even going to lie net but this is how I feel about the game. Not to say that melee didn't have its fair share of gimmicks back in the day but we've figured them all out and gotten used to them. I don't think many people have it in them to figure it out again with 30+ more characters this time.

Pumpk1nz

Smash Apprentice
on a more important note
who can help colorado with housing???
salt lake area would be best
Tane?
RJ?
Pumpkins?
I could house some people on my couch/floor if they want I suppose. I work Friday night, but as soon as I'm off they're welcome to come over and smash/crash.

Edit: And on the PM Topic that everyone is arguing about. I feel as though PM could potentially be a good game, but as for now it's full of gimmicks that nobody feels like learning how to deal w/ because 1. Melee is such a great game, and 2. Smash 4 is about to come out and we are gonna have plenty of gimmicks to learn how to deal w/ as soon as that happens. So nobody really wants to commit to PM. If PM had a finished product back in like 2009-2010, I think it could have been extremely successful.

Last edited:

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
nice man ill let them know if you're cool with it

Baky
why would you pick a 08 brawl vid to compare thats like picking a melee vid from 03-04 era
better to pick a '10 vid to a '12 that had a good change in metagame

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
The sodium levels are just too damn high. Just accept PM is bad and move on.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
nice man ill let them know if you're cool with it
Baky
why would you pick a 08 brawl vid to compare thats like picking a melee vid from 03-04 era
better to pick a '10 vid to a '12 that had a good change in metagame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFfF8Y_FpZE Here is a 2011 vid of MK vs Wario if someone wants to watch. I feel that after 2010, Wario lost a lot of his prominence.

I wanted to post earlier Melee vids but they are really hard to find. :/

Btw, Brawl players- not to say that there hasn't been some interesting things happening in the Brawl scene over the years.

Salem vs M2K was hype as hype as **** at Apex 2013 and it definitely caught the smash community by surprise.

I See

Smash Apprentice
You piece of crap melee or pm only players think you're so good. tech skill with no fundamentals. thats why the brawl only players poop on you. I bet if we dropped brawl and begun playing melee or pm for like 3 months, we'd move you off your pedestal; cause its a scrub fest out there. Exceptions to Net and Pc cause they're homies. but the rest of you are scrubs with no basic knowledge. you just master combos and spam. sorry, im just sick of seeing posts implying that brawl is a basic game

ZerosUT

Smash Cadet
I think it's hilarious to sit here and listen to people argue over two completely different games. You kids are basically comparing Call of Duty to Scrabble.
inb4 "BUT THEY'RE BOTH SMASH SO THEY SHOULD BE IDENTICAL!!!!?!?!?!?!"
Yeah, go **** yourself.

Edit: Continuing rant - Just because someone prefers a different style of game than you doesn't mean ****. Each game has it's own reasons to play it. But really I don't understand this whole trying to convince someone that your game is better than theirs. Nobody gives a **** about your negative opinions. Nobody.

Cut this **** out, we're supposed to be a community. Jesus.

Last edited:

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
its easy man all you have to do is mash your face on the controller
stuff happens

@ Pumpk1nz Pumpk1nz
ill get back to you on the colorado car

Last edited:

Tuesday

Smash Ace
This is what happens when people take 3 different games and pretend they should be 1 community.

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
Smash64 tho.

I really like every smash game and "mod." Brawl is a good smash game, you just focus on different things than you did in melee. Melee is an amazing game that keeps getting better as people continue to push it forward getting closer and closer to 20XX. Smash 64 is a fun game about never dropping a combo and playing Pikachu, but it's still a way to test your skills in smash; just like brawl it's not the same skill as melee, but it's mostly all still there - you've still got tech chases, mind games, teching, l-canceling, spacing, and captain falcon.
What I'm saying is that every smash game is similar. No matter what game you play your skill will transfer over, at least in part. I think the healthy attitude is to respect each game for what it can teach about yourself as a player and what skills it encourages you to develop.

I like PM because I like learning new match ups. The game is exciting and I see people do things I've never seen before all the time. I'm forced to adapt and learn. Hating on the game for having different characters is really only understandable from the point of view from your ego. Getting beaten is supposed to be fun.

M2K too good at influencing discussion. None of you guys even brought up his main point; how PMBR handles nerfs. w/e

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
well, now that we're done--pleeease let us be done--with trying to convince people that what they like is stupid and what we like is totally like the best thing ever, here are the videos of the finals from tuesday's game den weekly. i'll upload the rest of the recorded games later. if you still feel the need to rant, go to the original reddit thread or your favorite echo chamber :-p.

QraQ

Smash Ace
What's up Utah!?
Idaho coming down this weekend and we were looking for some classic Utah Smash hospitality with some housing! It will be only five of us this time so you don't have to worry about multiple caravans.

Also, will we finally do this crew battle?

Edit: What's with all this PM party game talk about gimmicks? lulz I don't know if we're getting the word gimmick mixed up with "new diverse tech skill options" but I have many more gimmicks to reveal.
@ net1234 net1234 My Zelda TP game has evolved =DDD

Last edited:

Snap.

Smash Apprentice
What's up Utah!?
Idaho coming down this weekend and we were looking for some classic Utah Smash hospitality with some housing! It will be only five of us this time so you don't have to worry about multiple caravans.

Also, will we finally do this crew battle?

Edit: What's with all this PM party game talk about gimmicks? lulz I don't know if we're getting the word gimmick mixed up with "new diverse tech skill options" but I have many more gimmicks to reveal.
@ net1234 net1234 My Zelda TP game has evolved =DDD
$5 money match ike ditto to help you pay for gas
yolo

Top Bottom