• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice
I dont get why people get so pissy over time outs. Its a good strategy when the timer is low and you have a lead, one of the best in fact, so why get so mad when people, in a competitive game, use the best option?
Cuz stalling iz gay and ppl who do dis is scrub.

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like @ socandrewcer socandrewcer timing out friendlies.
They should hang out lol.

I dont get why people get so pissy over time outs. Its a good strategy when the timer is low and you have a lead, one of the best in fact, so why get so mad when people, in a competitive game, use the best option?
I never give crap to people who do it in tournament. I didn't give crap to Andrew for it at all, I laughed and said good game. But that was against a kid who he's clearly better than, a kid who flew there to have fun, and the match doesn't matter, with people watching who he could get hyped for the game. It's like taking a knee in madden. Dominant strategy? Yes. Lame? Absolutely.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
@ Tsuteto Tsuteto you wouldn't be poaching. it was intended to be under the purview of gamer's abbey anyway like we talked about before salt fest. i don't want unnecessary fragmentation in the community and it would be good to have a centralized place for people to look up all things related to the utah smash scene. i just wanted to get things going this summer so we can be somewhat stable and legit by the time new students come in for the fall semester, and for the interest that might come for the new smash release. once you get to know rob (owner of game den) and you get some time on your hands, we can switch the reigns over to you and make it gamer's abbey official ^_^.

@ OkamiFur OkamiFur i think saturday is yu-gi-oh night, so we could do it on saturday, but we'd have to share the space with yu-gi-oh players.

@ Z'zgashi Z'zgashi why wait for the timer to be low? wobble 'til timeout or luigi ladder ftw! scrub rules are for the weak ;-)

ok, so here's the deal. i'll set up with my friend rob to have game den available to us next tuesday (17th) at 5pm. if enough people show up and want to do tourney, i'll prepare for that as well. we can start tourney play later on in the night to give more people a chance to show up. we'll go with $5 for the entry fee. i'll make food to make it worthwhile for beginners since at least you get a meal out of it (food given to those who bring setups first though). we'll mess around with the variables throughout summer (day of the week, time, entry fee, etc), and since it'll be weekly, it'll give us plenty of time to course-correct before fall. let's make this successful, everyone!

if you're going, let me know, so i can guage how much food to make. if you can't go this upcoming week, but can other weeks, let me know so i can guage interest. if you can't make it in the foreseeable future, let me know, so we can change things if needed. thanks!!

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Stalling is frustrating because it is the antithesis of combat. The game is all about fighting, so winning by running away just feels wrong. Obviously, this has no meaning in a competitive setting. The victory conditions are set, and it is your job to do everything in your power to meet those conditions before your opponent does. If we really wanted to put an end to stalling, we'd just remove the timer entirely. YOU FIGHT UNTIL IT IS OVER.

ZeroKarasu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroKarasu
3DS FC
3351-4458-3302
I'm hoping for a fest tonight, guys. I can/probably will bring a setup.

I might need a ride. Maybe, but just maybe.

Skull Kid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chuggbert
3DS FC
0748-3351-1612
@ N nqztv I'll almost certainly be there.

edit: But don't stress about food on my account. I can bring a setup, too.

more edit: I will certainly be late. In a few months, my schedule should let up some. But I'm not free 'til about 7 most weekdays. :/

Also, what games do you plan to do?

ALSO! Hey Brawl players, would someone be so kind as to point me where to start with that game? I have no idea. It seems like "pick a char and go to their forum," But IDK, mang... I'm not sure who I wanna pick up. Maybe what are some general things I can practice w/ any char?

Last edited:

Jekyll

Smash Ace
@ N nqztv
ALSO! Hey Brawl players, would someone be so kind as to point me where to start with that game? I have no idea. It seems like "pick a char and go to their forum," But IDK, mang... I'm not sure who I wanna pick up. Maybe what are some general things I can practice w/ any char?
Utah needs a good Toon Link. :troll:

...but you should probably play Olimar

OkamiFur

Smash Cadet
NNID
OkamiFur
@ N nqztv how late are we going to be able to be there on Tuesday nights? I don't tend to leave work until at least 6:00.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Guys.... I made two posts on the latest news thingy and I've been getting likes non-stop.... I'm sooo popular now!!!

OkamiFur

Smash Cadet
NNID
OkamiFur
I just got back home to Draper not too long ago, but I'm still down for some smash tonight. I just don't know where to go.

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
I wonder why new people don't stick around the scene.

Last edited:

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
@ Tsuteto Tsuteto you wouldn't be poaching. it was intended to be under the purview of gamer's abbey anyway like we talked about before salt fest. i don't want unnecessary fragmentation in the community and it would be good to have a centralized place for people to look up all things related to the utah smash scene. i just wanted to get things going this summer so we can be somewhat stable and legit by the time new students come in for the fall semester, and for the interest that might come for the new smash release. once you get to know rob (owner of game den) and you get some time on your hands, we can switch the reigns over to you and make it gamer's abbey official ^_^.

@ OkamiFur OkamiFur i think saturday is yu-gi-oh night, so we could do it on saturday, but we'd have to share the space with yu-gi-oh players.

@ Z'zgashi Z'zgashi why wait for the timer to be low? wobble 'til timeout or luigi ladder ftw! scrub rules are for the weak ;-)

ok, so here's the deal. i'll set up with my friend rob to have game den available to us next tuesday (17th) at 5pm. if enough people show up and want to do tourney, i'll prepare for that as well. we can start tourney play later on in the night to give more people a chance to show up. we'll go with $5 for the entry fee. i'll make food to make it worthwhile for beginners since at least you get a meal out of it (food given to those who bring setups first though). we'll mess around with the variables throughout summer (day of the week, time, entry fee, etc), and since it'll be weekly, it'll give us plenty of time to course-correct before fall. let's make this successful, everyone!

if you're going, let me know, so i can guage how much food to make. if you can't go this upcoming week, but can other weeks, let me know so i can guage interest. if you can't make it in the foreseeable future, let me know, so we can change things if needed. thanks!!
I can't make Tuesday nights sorry.

OkamiFur

Smash Cadet
NNID
OkamiFur
?

You people ****in suck at hosting fests
I quit this gay *** scene
lolz are you trying to offer to host at your place? xD
I would happily host it over here at my house, but I've only met one of you guys in person so far... so I'm sorry if I don't feel super comfortable with having a gathering over here for my first fest with everyone :/

Tomacawk

Smash Master
LMAO thank god im out of this cluster **** hahaha. nice forums *******
miss you guys <3. illinois owns utah so hard on weather and culture and air/environment quality
yall got the hot chicks on ultra lock though no denying that

i'm going to the big house 4 in october, it's gunna be my first true national, if i don't suck it up and drown in pools i'd love your support on livestream (i know this is al ong way away but i'm really excited)

----
if anybody cares about my actual life, i've been foraging hardcore here. building an encyclopedia of edible plants/mushrooms in my brain and i'm having so much fun gathering wild food. maybe someday i'll be able to show some of you in person, it's astonishing how abundant food is everywhere, even in our own lawns
got my garden going too. and i got a fresh haircut. life's great in general but still unemployed as balls

Tsuteto

火事で死ね

Sounds good. Set the initial one up and I'll make it a point to come on by. I'll probably show up around 6 or so, but I'll come by nonetheless XD

Tatami

Smash Cadet
I wonder why new people don't stick around the scene.
I'm relatively new to the Smash Scene in Utah. I have only been to one tournament, the one at Kaffieneios (don't remember how to spell it) and I spectated part of the one at Comic Con. I believe in the months after that tournament I have greatly improved. The main issue for me sticking around is my age, after all i'm only 14 and cannot get around place to place without being questioned by parents. However I have created a small community between me and my friends, we hosted a tournament at school for Melee with 14 participants, and my friend hosted one at his house with 9 people. I want to be a part but cannot be, so for now netplay is my greatest option.

Last edited:

Tatami

Smash Cadet
accidently created another post and atm cannot figure out how to delete it

Last edited:

Tuesday

Smash Ace
Newage smash problems. Back in my day it was trying to convince my parents to let me and my friends travel across the country.

Now you have to convince your parents to let you travel across the country to play video games with grown men.

net1234

Smash Ace
I'm relatively new to the Smash Scene in Utah. I have only been to one tournament, the one at Kaffieneios (don't remember how to spell it) and I spectated part of the one at Comic Con. I believe in the months after that tournament I have greatly improved. The main issue for me sticking around is my age, after all i'm only 14 and cannot get around place to place without being questioned by parents. However I have created a small community between me and my friends, we hosted a tournament at school for Melee with 14 participants, and my friend hosted one at his house with 9 people. I want to be a part but cannot be, so for now netplay is my greatest option.
invite me out man ill mm all u guys

Tuesday

Smash Ace
"No, mom. This one's a kid like me. He just wants to come over to play some video games.

...and gamble."

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Omg Wii Fit Trainer's Jab 3 ground's people like DK's Headbutt, what the heeeeellllllllllllll

And Marth's tippers are even MORE godlike, he got a slightly charged fsmash on a Pikachu at like 45% and almost killed him from the opposite side of Battlefield.

Last edited:

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Omg Wii Fit Trainer's Jab 3 ground's people like DK's Headbutt, what the heeeeellllllllllllll

And Marth's tippers are even MORE godlike, he got a slightly charged fsmash on a Pikachu at like 45% and almost killed him from the opposite side of Battlefield.
The jab thing with the Wii fit trainer seems crazy. I wonder who the hell thought about that... lol

I wonder what other weird things they put in this game.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Im too tired to merge

I'll do it when I wake up.

Also @ -Mars- -Mars- there's really no need to say mean things about other individuals. Who gives a **** if he's overweight or wears a scarf.

Top Bottom