• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Well... I've cleaned my apartment and packed my bags... now I got to wake up in 4 hours, take a shower, go through a cleaning inspection of my apartment, pack my bags in my car and drive 8 hours to sweet Southern California.

It was fun Utah! Couldn't have been more happy with my experience in this scene!

Just some shoutouts:
@ Death Arcana Death Arcana Thanks for getting me into the scene, thanks for all the help in Brawl, and thanks for all the funny troll posts
@ Tsuteto Tsuteto I hate you..... <3
@ Tomacawk Tomacawk even though you left I still gotta mention you. Thanks for showing me what high level Melee is like. Simply from playing friendlies with you I've learned so much.... and you're a pretty awesome guy to hang out with.
@Jekyll The Luigi to my Mario! Learned so much from you as well and now that I'm officially SoCal.... you suck NorCal scrub! Also... I will never forgive you for those miss fires in our MM at Salt Fest.
@ net1234 net1234 You're Marth is pretty sick dude.... I can see you being the next PewPewU once you start hitting puberty. <3 Also it was great playing and hanging with you!
@ Hatch Backward Hatch Backward Yo man... from the first time I played you to the last time I played you, you got like... 30x better! Keep at it man!
@Roguay your PM is legit... I finally started getting good with my mains so I can't really show you but ya... next time we meet I have to show you my toon link.
@Baky you were probably one of my favorite people to talk to at events... you're a really awesome guy and I'm definitely gonna miss you
@Remioli ... (that's pretty much all I have to say to you) <3

There's so many more people I want to shout out but I really really need to get some sleep right now so I'll continue this tomorrow

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I'm gonna go out on a limb here: Smash 4 is meant to be played with items. Yeah, yeah, I know every Smash was "meant" to be played with items, but I think this is why Sakurai refuses to relent on giving us more movement options. I've been watching more match footage. Anyone else notice that impact from items have been dialed way back? And there aren't nearly as many (if any) random explosions gummin' up the works. Capsules used to deal ridiculous knockback, but I've seen people hit by capsules, and they are not nearly as brutal.

I know competitive gamers (myself included) tend to dislike random elements. However, random is only bad when an extremely small sample determines victory. If each player is given a sufficiently large sample (explained by the weaker items), skill still wins the day. I know this still does not offset unfair events such as legendary Pokemon, but a proper item set could prevent timeouts like the one we saw at the invitational.

I suppose if I want to grant more credence to this hypothesis, I need to go gather video footage. I just wanna know what you guys think.

Last edited:

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice
You know what the developers should do? They should include an option to turn off multiple airdodges and they should just include L canceling in general. That way everyone is at least partially pleased. It won't happen though.

Edit: Oh and Bowzers looks significantly buffed.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Anyone else notice that impact from items have been dialed way back?
What? You do know there are like 3 instant kill items right lol? Beedle is an instant kill, Jill Drill is instant kill at low %, etc. Also, explosions from bob-oms/smart bombs/the new X bomb, etc all have more knockback than any other smash. Items are dialed UP for sure.

Steezy22

Smash Cadet
If there is any fests going on today I would love to come. I can also host one, my basement has plenty of space if people have set ups and would just need to bring there own chair.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
You should get ahold of Devon or Rocky, I think they were looking to Smash someplace.

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice
Just played smash 4. All I know is that zss can sweetspot the ledge with down b. Idk if that's known but it's news to me. I can't even remember if she can do that in brawl. I've never used a wii u pro controller in my life so I was trying to figure that out as well.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Nope she couldnt do it in Brawl, but Zero has done it before so it was known ;)

Bowser is hype.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
What? You do know there are like 3 instant kill items right lol? Beedle is an instant kill, Jill Drill is instant kill at low %, etc. Also, explosions from bob-oms/smart bombs/the new X bomb, etc all have more knockback than any other smash. Items are dialed UP for sure.
I know there are still hard-hitting items in the overall selection, but I was referring to the general vibe of the lower end items. Capsules are stupid OP in Melee. They are not so bad in Smash 4.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Except the broken items are INSANELY broken, like crazy. Just because some items that were OP in Melee were balanced doesnt make the game's overall item balance good, ESPECIALLY with how bad it actually is. Even my casual friends who played the game think the items are OP as all **** and far more imbalanced than any other smash after playing for just 2 minutes lmao.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Just played smash 4. All I know is that zss can sweetspot the ledge with down b. Idk if that's known but it's news to me. I can't even remember if she can do that in brawl. I've never used a wii u pro controller in my life so I was trying to figure that out as well.
She can do it in Brawl too.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Except the broken items are INSANELY broken, like crazy. Just because some items that were OP in Melee were balanced doesnt make the game's overall item balance good, ESPECIALLY with how bad it actually is. Even my casual friends who played the game think the items are OP as all **** and far more imbalanced than any other smash after playing for just 2 minutes lmao.
I'm not arguing in favor of items, necessarily. I'm just considering the possibility that the item balance might (unfortunately) be BETTER than the non-item rule set. I was just curious as to what people thought.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
;_; I really needed to hear that right now. Thank you so much for the compliment. I'm sad you have to leave but it was great while you were here!
Yo this is real talk. When I first played you at the lock-in you were booty but you got good uber fast. Keep it up and you'll be topping soon.

Rockmix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rockmix
Hatch you have gotten better since the first time I played you. Just keep practicing your tech and movement that's important to get those down first. Also look for patterns in matches

Hatch Backward

Smash Apprentice
Yo this is real talk. When I first played you at the lock-in you were booty but you got good uber fast. Keep it up and you'll be topping soon.
<3 so much

Hatch you have gotten better since the first time I played you. Just keep practicing your tech and movement that's important to get those down first. Also look for patterns in matches
All these people I idolize so much telling me such nice things. Alright! I will continue down this path with renewed vigor! Thank you for the advice and for helping me through a moment of self doubt.

Last edited:

ZeroKarasu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroKarasu
3DS FC
3351-4458-3302
Hatch, thank you for teaching me the ropes and whatnots. I've been working on my spacing~

Last edited:

-Mars-

Smash Hero
All these young guys coming into the scene.

Can't wait to plunder all of your virgin buttholes

Steezy22

Smash Cadet
I don't know everyone's names but thanks for coming over and smashing! I'm always down to host so lets do it again.

ZeroKarasu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroKarasu
3DS FC
3351-4458-3302
Aw, man, there was a fest and I missed it? I need some practice against fellow humans!

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I'm not arguing in favor of items, necessarily. I'm just considering the possibility that the item balance might (unfortunately) be BETTER than the non-item rule set. I was just curious as to what people thought.
I dont see how that could possibly be true. The best characters would just be characters you can can get items easier than the other characters. Add in the randomness, the insane kill power from items, one shot kills, insanely unpredictable reactions and spawns from items, the ridiculous frame data and range on item throws (which while we obviously dont know what it is specifically, you can tell its stupidly good, in fact, the frame data on item throws, specifically the banana which has the same frame data as any other non heavy item, is one of the main reasons Diddy was top 5 in Brawl), etc, I dont see ANY possible way that with the current ridiculousness of items how they can be even remotely considered balanced. If items were on, basically all anyone would need would be a character who is either fast or controls a lot of space so they can guarantee items, because whoever gets items wins in this game because they are just straight up way too strong. So basically, if items were allowed, you can guarantee Little Mac, Zelda, Link, and a few other are already completely non viable in competitive play. Then characters like Kirby, Pit, ZSS, Greninja, etc are ridiculously insane with how well they zone you out to control items. Items wouldnt do anything to help balance out competitive play, they'd lop side it and make specific characteristics extremely strong and basically invalidate multiple playstyles and strengths that characters have available to them. The items are purposefully made strong so that in casual play, anyone has a chance to win. They purposefully made items retardedly overpowered so that the really scrubby kid can get a win once and a while because he just so happened to get the Beedle or he got the X Bomb and it killed everyone at 60%, etc. Say you're in a 1 stock vs 1 stock situation and you get multiple combos on them, rack up 100% while constantly keeping stage pressure all game, and you've got them at a position where one hit confirm is all you need to get a kill, and they havent racked up any damage. Then one item spawns by your opponent and if it just so happens to be a Beedle or a Drill. Guess what? Now if he lands it, you just lost. All that work you did, not getting hit and gaining a big lead, gone, all because of one random item spawn. Items dont reward good play, they create opportunities for anyone to win regardless of the skill level, and I dont see how you can think that would be a good thing for competitive play.

Last edited:

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Yo.... Tatami has only made 8 posts and so far they're the best posts here

Also... I just found out that Super Arcade, the venue for SSS if you didn't know, is only 30 minutes away from me... so much hyyype
Gonna get that SoCal experience, get super good, and I'm a come out to next year's Salt Fest and yal gonna wish I never left.

Last edited:

Tatami

Smash Cadet
I wish I knew more of you. The only people I really remember that I've met irl are Skull Kid, rhat one person who hosted that tournament at Kafeblahnos (Death Arcana mayyyyyybe?) and that one Luigi player.

Today happens to be my birthday.

I LEAVE YOU WITH THIS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ckQpLAsX3s

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Well Best Buy was awesome, shoutouts to the Random button for giving me ****ing Lucario like 3 times and literally making the only loses I had be with him lmao.

Steezy22

Smash Cadet
I need more practice against Spacies, anybody that's wants to Smash later today let me know!

Last edited:
Top Bottom