• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Steezy22

Smash Cadet
Aw, man, there was a fest and I missed it? I need some practice against fellow humans!
Hey man, I am always down to Smash! Text me anytime. I also can host anytime. My house is set up well so if you know others that want to join. My number is 801 949 554eight

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I dont see how that could possibly be true. The best characters would just be characters you can can get items easier than the other characters. Add in the randomness, the insane kill power from items, one shot kills, insanely unpredictable reactions and spawns from items, the ridiculous frame data and range on item throws (which while we obviously dont know what it is specifically, you can tell its stupidly good, in fact, the frame data on item throws, specifically the banana which has the same frame data as any other non heavy item, is one of the main reasons Diddy was top 5 in Brawl), etc, I dont see ANY possible way that with the current ridiculousness of items how they can be even remotely considered balanced. If items were on, basically all anyone would need would be a character who is either fast or controls a lot of space so they can guarantee items, because whoever gets items wins in this game because they are just straight up way too strong. So basically, if items were allowed, you can guarantee Little Mac, Zelda, Link, and a few other are already completely non viable in competitive play. Then characters like Kirby, Pit, ZSS, Greninja, etc are ridiculously insane with how well they zone you out to control items. Items wouldnt do anything to help balance out competitive play, they'd lop side it and make specific characteristics extremely strong and basically invalidate multiple playstyles and strengths that characters have available to them. The items are purposefully made strong so that in casual play, anyone has a chance to win. They purposefully made items retardedly overpowered so that the really scrubby kid can get a win once and a while because he just so happened to get the Beedle or he got the X Bomb and it killed everyone at 60%, etc. Say you're in a 1 stock vs 1 stock situation and you get multiple combos on them, rack up 100% while constantly keeping stage pressure all game, and you've got them at a position where one hit confirm is all you need to get a kill, and they havent racked up any damage. Then one item spawns by your opponent and if it just so happens to be a Beedle or a Drill. Guess what? Now if he lands it, you just lost. All that work you did, not getting hit and gaining a big lead, gone, all because of one random item spawn. Items dont reward good play, they create opportunities for anyone to win regardless of the skill level, and I dont see how you can think that would be a good thing for competitive play.
But we don't have all the data. (In fact, that's what I'm being told over and over whenever I observe that the game is essentially idential to Brawl.) If we don't know all the facts about the combat engine, we also don't know all the facts about items. What if items were adjusted to spawn near slower/losing players? I recall reading a study someone did on Smash Balls. They found that they spawn near and hover longer near losing players.

Look, by and large, I agree with you. I have never supported items in competitive environments. I've just been watching lots of Smash 4 match videos, and the items just seem more "natural" than they ever have in the past. It's probably because I've given up hope already. I guess I better resurrect my Zero2D project. XD

Hatch Backward

Smash Apprentice
@ ZeroKarasu ZeroKarasu and anybody I guess

If you have to practice against a computer, go for lvl9 ganondorf. His jab knocks you back instead of being a multi hit bull****.

As long as you are still focusing on your own movement spacing tech skill etc instead of just focusing on winning it helps way more than a fox who just jab>jab>jab>jab>jab and pisses you off.

Pumpinz

Smash Journeyman
@ ZeroKarasu ZeroKarasu and anybody I guess

If you have to practice against a computer, go for lvl9 ganondorf. His jab knocks you back instead of being a multi hit bull****.

As long as you are still focusing on your own movement spacing tech skill etc instead of just focusing on winning it helps way more than a fox who just jab>jab>jab>jab>jab and pisses you off.
Get the 20XX Hack Pack. It makes it so the CPU will randomly DI and tech. You can also make the CPU hold shield so you can practice shield pressure.

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...alt-stages-costumes-p2-action-toggles.351221/

It changed my life and it will change yours. I guarantee it.

Skull Kid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chuggbert
3DS FC
0748-3351-1612
Eff... I miss too many events. It makes me sad. My schedule should hopefully clear up significantly in the near future. Then I'mma hit it hard on the scene. @ Tatami Tatami Yo! I remember you too, dude. @ Hatch Backward Hatch Backward That's quite the praise you're getting there. Haha. I'm all sorts or curious. We need to smash sometime soon.

Hatch Backward

Smash Apprentice
Get the 20XX Hack Pack.
I have 20XX actually, i kind of shied away from it after a bit. It seems like some things have different physics with them.
maybe i'm just crazy?

EDIT tested it out and yes, I am crazy. Just a different TV making me think different things.

@ Hatch Backward Hatch Backward That's quite the praise you're getting there. Haha. I'm all sorts or curious. We need to smash sometime soon.
I know right? I'm so happy haha. We definitely need to play. I don't remember playing you since the college thing or whatever it was months ago.

Last edited:

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Depends on how you define "plunder your virgin buttholes" I would imagine. That can go a lot of ways
Pretty sure it can literally only go one way. Level of enjoyment, however, is subjective.

plun·der
ˈpləndər/
verb
  1. 1.
    steal goods from (a place or person), typically using force and in a time of war or civil disorder.

noun
    1. 1.
      the violent and dishonest acquisition of property.

Hatch Backward

Smash Apprentice
everyone sucks except me
say that to me irl get smashed

so when SM4SH come out I'm going to host a series of tournaments where originally nothing is banned.
At the end of every tournament we can decide if something needs to be banned or not.
break the game for money the first few tourneys though.

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Is there anything like the 20xx training pack for PM?

I saw the one for melee but I'd like to have one for pm :(

Tatami

Smash Cadet
There isnt a training pack for PM but as far as im aware the level 9 bots DI and act like humans

Tatami

Smash Cadet
Someone have an extra copy of melee they want to sell (For cheaper then amazon) because I have been practicing on Dolphin for the past couple months and TV's are different I find it often hard to transition from each. I used to have two copies of melee and have no clue where they went. And an added bonus would be a CRT TV as well

Skull Kid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chuggbert
3DS FC
0748-3351-1612
D.I. and KSL will have tons of CRT's. KSL frequently has better prices, I hear. I've seen them for free sitting on driveways, too. Can't help you w/ Melee, though. :/

net1234

Smash Ace
Someone have an extra copy of melee they want to sell (For cheaper then amazon) because I have been practicing on Dolphin for the past couple months and TV's are different I find it often hard to transition from each. I used to have two copies of melee and have no clue where they went. And an added bonus would be a CRT TV as well
if u have a wii i know nqztv can get u a digital copy which runs the exact same as a disk. its 1.02 though :(

Tatami

Smash Cadet
if u have a wii i know nqztv can get u a digital copy which runs the exact same as a disk. its 1.02 though :(
Whats wrong with 1.02? Also CRTs are really cheap on KSL and I found Melee on their for 30 bucks

Last edited:

Tatami

Smash Cadet
no flame canceling
Im sure I can live without that, I could also just get used to TV's if i went to more smash events. There are so little in Utah though, and its kinda shady to ask my parents to drive me to random addresses I suppose there is the option of riding a bike or walking but theirs no way im leaving the house without being questioned about where i'm going

Last edited:

net1234

Smash Ace
Im sure I can live without that, I could also just get used to TV's if i went to more smash events. There are so little in Utah though, and its kinda shady to ask my parents to drive me to random addresses I suppose there is the option of riding a bike or walking but theirs no way im leaving the house without being questioned about where i'm going
they'll get over it, unless mars plunders ur virgin butthole

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
What if items were adjusted to spawn near slower/losing players?
So you want to reward players for being behind?
I've just been watching lots of Smash 4 match videos, and the items just seem more "natural" than they ever have in the past.
Thats because youre watching top competitive players using said items. Theyre better and smarter than players youre used to seeing with items on.
It's probably because I've given up hope already.
Lol

Last edited:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
you don't know how badly I want custom movesets to be a thing. Cmon smash community I know you tend to be really conservative but you can bend on this one thing!
For the 3ds it should be no problem since everyone should have their custom movesets saved in the 3ds

Top Bottom