• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I got there at 3:45 and the line was pretty long but thought it would move faster than it did. Still pretty much the back of the line inside the store an hour and a half later I just called it. But I got to play 2 matches on the 3ds against comp. Took a game to get used to controls on a handheld but it felt much smoother than I thought it would be on the 3ds. Wasnt a big fan of smash run but I'm guessing this version will hold me down until the wii u version

Last edited:

Steezy22

Smash Cadet
Just got to say, MEGA MAN WAS AWESOME!!! Although our time was short I very much enjoyed it. Even if the mechanics aren't great in the end, I will still play for megaman.

Skull Kid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chuggbert
3DS FC
0748-3351-1612
Yo, @ Sproll Sproll , do you have to use a store 3DS or is it like a download play thing? I've got mine with me and might walk down if I can check it out without much pain.

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
You play with the store's 3ds. Some girl is by the end of the line INSIDE the store with 2 of them. If there isn't a line outside still (which I highly doubt) then you could probably play it and get out somewhat quickly

Skull Kid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chuggbert
3DS FC
0748-3351-1612
I'm pretty sure they said the roster will be the same between the two versions. I could be wrong. Too lazy to google it. Also too lazy to walk down there, I've decided. Will watch VGBC.

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice
Has it still not died down at all since 4:00?
I'm looking at about 45 min. wait. It's hard to tell though. I've been waiting for about 20 mins. Someone has nice zelda cosplay though.

Last edited:

OkamiFur

Smash Cadet
NNID
OkamiFur
I'm looking at about 45 min. wait. It's hard to tell though. I've been waiting for about 20 mins. Someone has nice zelda cosplay though.
That's really not bad. I'm likely going to head there in a bit. We'll have to hit each other up. I'm probably going to be the only person there in a button down, tie, and dress pants lol. It shouldn't be hard to find me.

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice
That's really not bad. I'm likely going to head there in a bit. We'll have to hit each other up. I'm probably going to be the only person there in a button down, tie, and dress pants lol. It shouldn't be hard to find me.
It's actually longer than I thought. I actually might not be able to play.

の 。の Felon

Smash Cadet
NNID
tjaketheman
Just got back from it. Those wanting to go later today or saturday don't bother the line will still be insane and they shut it off about on time regardless of line size. (There is only the one set up). As for mechanics, I couldn't try much because all the other players were all over me (and I kept trying to up-B with Y :( ). I was unable to dash dance but if it's like brawl that makes sense I couldn't get a chain grab with greninja, however I only got two grabs and it's free-for-all. Regarding the hate for it I think it's gonna be fun and I'll definitely play and enjoy it when it comes out.

Last edited:

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice
I think I might kill myself. They only had 27 wristbands so that you can back the next THEY RAN OUT OF WRISTBANDS RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! **** MEEEEEEEEEEE

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
I got there at 3:40, played at 7:40.....TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!! MEGA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :DDDDDDDDDDDD. That controller got me so messed up so I don't have any opinions or input. Except, I played villager on 3ds and he is a dumb character (so far). There is so much smash potential. I'm thinking of advertising the scene on saturdqy

Pumpinz

Smash Journeyman
RJ does. Don't really bother with it. You'll get overly opinionated statements that are usually way off base anyway. You'll usually get the best and most relevant stuff here, or on my Gamer's Abbey page
We need to a get a legit FB page up though. That's the first thing people hit when they look for the utah smash scene. Your gamer's abbey FB page is good but I don't think new people will be able to find it.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I'm pretty sure they said the roster will be the same between the two versions. I could be wrong. Too lazy to google it. Also too lazy to walk down there, I've decided. Will watch VGBC.
Yes it will be, just the Best Buy demos have different characters available. Yoshi is in tje 3DS beta but isnt in the WiiU beta for example.

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Yo Nintendo, I love you, but if you're gonna do something like this, maybe have more than one setup? More than one location per state? They've done this stuff before and it has been hours to wait each time. How hard would it be to get multiple setups in there and cut the waiting time by multiple orders of magnitude?

SoCal only had one location I heard. That best buy probably burned to the ground.

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice
Yo Nintendo, I love you, but if you're gonna do something like this, maybe have more than one setup? More than one location per state? They've done this stuff before and it has been hours to wait each time. How hard would it be to get multiple setups in there and cut the waiting time by multiple orders of magnitude?

SoCal only had one location I heard. That best buy probably burned to the ground.
Oh man if it was this bad in Utah than, I could only imagine how bad SoCal had it. I don't know what Nintendo was thinking though. Surely they know how popular the game is.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
so not to hijack everyone's train of thought about smash 4, but i talked with my friend who owns a game store. he's up to do a weekly at his store and they have an internet connection, so we may be able to set up a stream if we wanted to. are there any days of the week that work better for you guys? mondays and tuesdays are his least busy nights. other nights we'd have to share the place with magic, yu-gi-oh, or other tabletop players. also how long/from what time to what time would make it worthwhile for those of you outside of provo to make the trip? also, what about entry fees? what would be low enough that it wouldn't be too much of a barrier to entry, but high enough that it'll contribute enough to a prize pool? anyway, still in the beginning stages of setting these things up, but if you guys have any input on it, let me know. thanks!!

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I was shipping Devon before it was cool. So many smashers so tsun tsun and Devon just prodding for the dere.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
so not to hijack everyone's train of thought about smash 4, but i talked with my friend who owns a game store. he's up to do a weekly at his store and they have an internet connection, so we may be able to set up a stream if we wanted to. are there any days of the week that work better for you guys? mondays and tuesdays are his least busy nights. other nights we'd have to share the place with magic, yu-gi-oh, or other tabletop players. also how long/from what time to what time would make it worthwhile for those of you outside of provo to make the trip? also, what about entry fees? what would be low enough that it wouldn't be too much of a barrier to entry, but high enough that it'll contribute enough to a prize pool? anyway, still in the beginning stages of setting these things up, but if you guys have any input on it, let me know. thanks!!
Which store is it, if you don't mind me asking?

OkamiFur

Smash Cadet
NNID
OkamiFur
That sounds awesome to me. My only concern is about what time it would be held. I don't tend to get off work from Salt Lake until at least 6:00pm during the week.

I don't know what everyone here considers a good buy-in. I haven't played any tourneys yet myself.

If I can work it into my schedule, then you can count me in regardless.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
@ Tsuteto Tsuteto it was mentioned a while back, but it's game den by the new walmart and pizza pie cafe in provo (across the street from the $1 movie theater). if you want to take point on this with your experience, i'm down for that ;-).

Last edited:

Tuesday

Smash Ace
Yo that game den is the bomb for yugs go on Thursdays and find a 16 year old who looks 8 and punch him in the face for me and say it was me he'll know.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
Yo that game den is the bomb for yugs go on Thursdays and find a 16 year old who looks 8 and punch him in the face for me and say it was me he'll know.
haha, i'm actually tempted to do this. "this is for @Tuesday!" -> whomp -> run away -> ... -> in jail for assault on a minor :-p.

Top Bottom