• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

lengeta

Smash Ace
The difference, FtS, is usually only about an hour-n-a-half for the trip up and back. But I've already gone about rallying my crew together at my place and I don't want to just ditch out. My crew are losers that love Smash, yet cannot go to a tourny that's a short drive away for some reason. It was hard enough to get a few of them to the tourny I hosted (and none came to me second one T.T). I think paying money to play is what throws them off, especally since they don't really care about winning, but just want to have fun playing.

If I ever find a place to host a future tournament, I might try running a free one just to see what kind of turnout it would get and how people would react to it. I know we'd probably lose PC, Rafa, and Chao, but who wants to give them money anyway? (lol, jk)

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
Well, I was referring to friendlies anyway, since you would be starting your smashfest around the same time the tournament would be almost over anyway. I'm stuck at my house because of the tournament and I want to get the rare chance to play you.

Takalth

Smash Ace
I'm stuck at my house because of the tournament and I want to get the rare chance to play you.
You could ride over with me, and I could just take you back home when I finished. Of course, that means that I'd have to stay until the tournament was over and everyone left (instead of the much earlier event of me being eliminated) but that'd be OK, as long as it wasn't too late.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
I'm only stuck at my house because the tournament is hosted at my house. A ride wouldn't have been so hard, but the tournament is pretty hard to get around.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
The first post really needs to be updated...but since it's so close to the next tourny, might as well wait until after. But if you have the time, then go for it! :)

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Hey PC, still amazed at how annoying your shiek was.And also, I must ask because it is killing me at this rate...
what type of deck do u run

lengeta

Smash Ace
Wow, that's a really beautiful thread opener. I'm glad the Utah community rocks, we're totally taking the nation with Brawl.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Well guys it turns out that my brother is rather averse to going to a tournament. He's uncertain as to how we stack up, and adding on top of that an entrance fee, he would just as soon stick to friendlies. With that in mind.... lengeta, you can expect two more smashers at your place the 16th :).

lengeta

Smash Ace
Cdbobo, your still probably better off heading the the tournament. There will be a lot more people there, and you'll still get plenty of friendlies, plus you can see just how good the competition is by watching some of the tournament matches. Usually only the beginning of teh tournament is when there's no friendlies going on, after that matches often have to wait on other matches. Here, some of my crew has already jumped ship, but there will still be a couple of us here playing, but again, the tourament will have a much better turnout.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
If I bring 2 other people besides myself though, the turnout of your place will be better :D. We'll be over, controllers in hand, at about 5:30.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Well, me and my brothers had a lot of fun, Lengeta :). Hopefully we didn't stay too long or anything.... >.<. I must say I thought you were very good. You were nigh impossible to hit on the ground and your mastery of wavedashing, short hopping, etc. was superb. I wish we would've dueled. How good were the other guys that were there? We were a little bummed because all three of us always played, so it was like you were replacing our oldest brother (who is the worst out of the 4) so I mean it was still cool, but we didn't get to do duos or team battles or even play against new people (just new person) at the same time. Hopefully I can convice my bros to go to the next tourney--the march 31-april 1 one, most likely-- Xsyvens SUST sounds cool and it would be awesome if I could increase the attendance by 3, but it's, sooo far away [what is it, 3 hours, at least?] and considering they didn't even want to go to sandy ^o), it's highly doubtful. So.. yeah, most likely big arse, unless there's another smashfest? Considering it would most likely not be on the same day as a tourney, the turnout would be much better.
^.^ I have 6 controllers and 3 cubes ^.^. Hmm. I DO have a butt-ton (that's Bobo for a lot) of stuff. I should so see if I can host it at my Mom's. If I brought my tv from my apt over there... we would have a 20 inch TV, 28 inch TV, and an 80x50 or so inch projector, 3 cubes, 3 ssb:m's, and 6 man-trollers.... If you guys byoc it would be some serious smashfesting. In Pleasant Grove, so most likely you guys could make it. Before you get all excited, the chances of Mom saying yes are about 10%. Maybe if I continue to wtf pwn my finals I can pull the good kid card and increase the chances to more like 25%. It would be awesome o.O.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
The March 30 tournament most likely won't be the next Utah tournament. We aren't going to go over 3 months without a tournament.

Every good player who has come to Utah has mentioned that we would be good if only we would get together more and gain more experience. I know there are more Utah smashers who never play outside of tournaments than Utah smashers who actually practice. Enix Moogle suggested that we start doing biweeklies to get better. What does everyone think about doing a series of biweeklies until at least Ultimate Destiny 2? What would be a good entry for these? $2? $0? We need to be ready for any state crew battles ;)

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
First post updated

Don't forget to check out the planned OOS tournaments ;) and the map at the bottom. I know there are more than 8 Utah smashers >_>

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
An OoS to Arizona, huh? >>

You knoooow... if you don't want to travel 9 hours in one day, you could always stop in St. Geoooorrrrge...

It'd only add 1 hour to your trip if you did. 3 hours to St. George, then 7 hours to Mesa.

And if you DO come to St. George, we could have SUST1 while all y'all are here... so if you guys suck in AZ, you can at least own St. George.

Plus, St. George rocks....

STOP HERE, DAMMIT.

Thanks, FTS.

lengeta

Smash Ace
Cdbobo, if anything you guys didn't stay long enough. The power did go out though, and it was out for about 2 hours. Thanks for the compliments, you guys were good too, I hate Shiek comboing my Falco and a good Ganondorf, the two are uncommon in my parts. Me and my little brother (the other Shiek that was alright) are the only good players that were there though, the other two guys just play for fun, and the third had never played before. The rest of my crew (really good Luigi player among them) couldn't make it, other plans.

FtS, I want to make way more events than I do, but school pushes my work schedual to the weekends and I end up with no free time. At least you guys all play later than the tournament goes, and I just happened to miss the last one due to HORRIBLE traffic and some other guys heading here, but I'll try and make more, even if it's late. Also, it sounds like only Gojira's heading to the AZ tourny, and via plane, but if you guys get a carpool together let me know, I'd like to TRY and make it (doubtful I could though).

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Considering school is done this thursday (!!!) I want to do some serious smashing during the break. I practice when I can... but it's usually against computers.. who I occasionally lose to. Not because they're better than me, but because I get bored and before I know it I'm loosely holding my controller and I don't even care anymore-- hence the losing. I practice with my "crew" whenever I can and when they're up for it... the ""'s denote that they are my brothers so it's not really a crew, just 4 brothers of semi-like mindedness of varying skill levels.

But... yes. Smashing. Should occur. Soon. =).

laozy

Smash Journeyman
biweekly sounds good dude. i'm guessing it would be hosted at FTS' house unless you guys wants to trade off...first nate, then me, then gin and so on. i probably wont be smashing until the week before school starts. $0-2 buy-in is a good deal.

as for the oos tourney to az i probably wont be going cuz its a long drive and i have no money. it's going to be a waste my time cuz imma lose quick.

Jeyt

Smash Apprentice
I'm up for anything, as such if there happen to be any other people that stay up late (I mean 10pm-4amish), we could always play then. Yes I know it's a long shot but, hey, you never know. *grumble*stupidnightshift*grumble*

Biweeklies would be a great idea. But the next question is, which day do we choose? And at what times do these things start?

Also, be helpful and put yourself on FTS' map.
http://www.frappr.com/utahsmashers

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
I'm on the map as "fodell"-- I didn't know how to change the name from my sign in or whatever, or even if I can... Oh well.
Another pertinent question is, Where? :). I guess we already know the why. Considering it's during winter break, I don't see a problem with staying up insanely late... O.o still, surely you don't have to work every day, Jeyt?

Also, I had a list of smashers in Utah I know. I might have dreamed it though. It was like at a website and I was going to copy + paste it and it had like 20 names... maybe it was a dream. Dang. I guess there ARE the people on the facebook group.... and I know a couple people.. I suppose I could compile my dream list and that would work. Maybe it was a prophecy. Lol. Anyway... Today is the last day of college, WOOT! so.. we should get on this biweekly smashing ASAP. I'll be blistering my hands practicing up with my "crew"(3 brothers) and I'll let you know if holding a smashfest at my house comes through or not. Chances are not. None to Slim chances... but more likely none.

Seriously though. Blisters.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
I'm thinking we could bounce around the location geographically for the biweeklies (to possibly attract new smashers?). Like rotate between Orem/Provo, Sandy, and Roy or something. As long as there aren't too many locations and we have it planned out pretty far into the future it would work fine.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
^ You forgot St. George. :(

I really need to start a scene down here. SCREW YOU GUYS. xD

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
I don't think he forgot... going down to St. George every other week would be terribly expensive. I can totally understand headin' down there for a tourney, but for just a biweekly... I dunno.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Cdbobo, I was joking.

But it's only like, 60 bucks to get here and back... >>

This is why you don't see me at tournaments up there. I've only been to one.

I might go up there sometime after Christmas. I'll make sure to let you guys know.

Jeyt

Smash Apprentice
Considering it's during winter break, I don't see a problem with staying up insanely late... O.o still, surely you don't have to work every day, Jeyt?
Sadly, I work about 5 days a week, so me being up this late is almost a certainty. Also, my sis took back her cube *tear, massive tear*, so we'd have to use whoevers' that is up for it. Sorry.

And Xsyven, why not start one down there. Be the founder or some such thing.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Jeyt-- the me and the only other smasher down here, (legend has it there's anoter one somewhere,) were going to go around putting up fliers at the local high schools and college saying:

"Think you're good at Super Smash Bros.? Well... you're not. Fight us, MM's and Friendlies available. *insert phone number here*"

If they MM'd us, ****-- that'd make me so happy.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I like how you flat out declare: "you're not". :laugh: It's so true particularly regarding anyone who has never been to a tournament. ^_^

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
We need more people for the trip to the AZ tourney. Otherwise nobody else gets to go. If money is the problem I can help out with that. We really need a car to go in and more drivers. We have 3-4 people who have said they want to go. Just need a good sized car and another driver or two.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
And if you feel tired, you can always take a break in St. George.

Remember that. *shakes*

Jeyt

Smash Apprentice
You might actually want to spell out Money Match. Unless you think people already know what it means. Just a thought. That and you better hope you can back up that "you're not". If not, won't that be embarrassing.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I'm sure he has nothing to worry about. I have had countless times where I'll meet someone who smashes, and I immediately ask them, "Have you ever been to a tournament?" They usually respond, "No. That doesn't matter." I have invariably destroyed such opponents. Even just going to one tournament teaches you so much about competitive smash. Those who have never been to a tournament just lack that wisdom necessary to win.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Hmm. I've never been to a tourney, but I think I actually could hold my own... what with playing with my brothers often, and various smashfests, with people who know what they are doing. I dunno though.
Basically what I'm saying is that I think I could turn your invariably destroy into a almost always destroy :)

Gojira

Smash Lord
other host please

I have hosted the last two tourneys at FTS's and its getting old. I want to get to another tourney because I am eager for more tournies. If I have to ill host yet another one at FTS's wich i am leaning to do. BUT I would like nother person to host before me.......so.....someone Holla.....

yakko789

Smash Apprentice
Hey I live in Salt Lake. I only know 6 smashers in my area and we have little tournaments. I need to find more though.

Top Bottom