• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Despite all these "retirements", you will all purchase and play Brawl, right?

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Of course!!
Any other takers for the smash fest today (!) ?

Edit: so, let me get this straight Phil; no more weekend tourneys for you, but if we ever do a fest during the week, you'll probably come?
Oh and I'm here at work so if you want to talk to me just get on gmail. my address is just my name separated by a . so if you know my name, you can talk to me :).

edit6: you guys are lazy I say, lazy!! post something here so I can happily read it. Lol (literally) :)

Gojira

Smash Lord
i have good news and bad news for all my loyal fans.

its sad to say... but my last melee tournament is on oct 6 and its not a utah tournament. i've decided to keep working fri-sun and have the rest of the days off. the main reason being SNOWBOARDING and bunch of other stuff. but more bad news, i don't think i can make it to any brawl tournaments. i'm starting school again this spring and i plan on keeping this job. so yea, i'm pretty busy.

Well, it's been really fun playing with EVERYONE. Utah is really cool, ummm well kinda when there's no drama. we just got to learn to be friends rather than rivals and i promise you, we will get a lot better. make sure you guys kick butt in brawl and call me if you want to play on weekdays. i dont have shout outs because there is soo much to say. my only regret is not having another chance to play st. george, colorado and idaho and not having another chance to redeem myself for not winning tournaments. everyone i played is too cool.

i cant think of any good news right now because it is a sad for me to say this...

i'm retiring from smash....maybe forever......
Im sorry phil I dont see thsi happening. Mainly with how good your getting.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
Phil man thats to bad that your out. You are probably my favorite Utah smasher but i guess we'll have to chill next time im in Utah and just have fun doing other things.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Hi, I'm new here and it's my first post (obviously). I really need to go to these tournaments before Brawl is released. Hey FoxTheStampede? I heard that you occasionally go to play n trade on Thursday, did you go this week?

laozy

Smash Journeyman
actually, i want to play as much smash as i can now before oct 6 but after that, smash is going down hill. haha my retirement proposal was kinda out of nowhere. but anyways im down for some smashfest during the weekdays but only until winter hits. and when winter and spring comes, i'll be freakin busy. so its an early retirement plan. the only way my plan will fail is utah not getting enough snow or my workplace burns down. and if it fails, i'll most likely comeback to smash.

and its good to hear utah is getting a lot of new smashers. by the way, welcome to the boards minato. hey i was there last thursday and there was a lot of people.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
If that's the case, I have to stop by Home Depot to pick up a couple of things and then find out where you work.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I didn't do so well as I had hoped there. It's the first time I had to play Smash standing up (and I felt sick that day too), so it wasn't the best experience.

YazYaz

Smash Apprentice
does anyone have tips on how to get rid of tournaments nerves?? i always play like crap at tourneys and lose to people that suck cause i get nervous. any solutions..

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Get excited
Listen to songs that are relaxing
Run a bit to break down that built up energy

Just a few things I can think of off the top of my head. Just have to find what is best for you ^^

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Experience is the best way to get rid of the nervousness. Just go to more tournaments and try to become comfortable in the environment.

tjrook

Smash Cadet
does anyone have tips on how to get rid of tournaments nerves?? i always play like crap at tourneys and lose to people that suck cause i get nervous. any solutions..
I've had the advantage of going to tons of chess tournaments previously, so I dont get those nerves like you do any more. Like RagingAsian said, you really need experience. I have found, however, that listening to soothing music, or taking a quick walk around (both suggestions by Tsuteto) has help me a lot when I got those nerves that you get.

Another way you could relax is to play some friendly between matches. I know that this helps you relax and could help you on your game plan for the next match.

Hope this helps! :grin:

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I think at first, it's just about confidence. You don't know how well you'll do at the first tournament, but after you find your place, and you know what to expect, in the end you realize you're just playing a game.

I don't think the tournament intensity ever goes away though. Close matches are a *****.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Wait. Life in general (living) is great, or Life^tm is great? I agree either way, but it'd be nice to know what you mean exactly :) :).

Slave1: :(. still, 2:00 will leave ample time for smashing :D.

tjrook: You play chess!? in tournaments !? Dude. You and me... this is war!!

Yaz: just like they say; experience. In tournaments here (like the one on the 15th you're missing~!~) knowing the people helps too.

:lol:whoo!:lol:

tjrook

Smash Cadet
tjrook: You play chess!? in tournaments !? Dude. You and me... this is war!!
Oh my gosh! I love chess! gah... I haven't seriously played a game of chess in quite a while, I'm kinda rusty right now... but we have to play!

Man, I love finding people who have such similar interests as I do... :grin:

As per the pre-tourney jitters: Meet people. Talk to people. You'll be less nervous when you're more comfortable. Thats why Vegas doesn't freak me out anymore, and I don't expect anyone to pull a knife on me just for a simple WOP.

As per Chess: I know how the pieces move! Can I be a part of this moment too plz?!?!?

PEPA!

Smash Cadet
are there any more smashers we might lose? i mean im in school now and working but i still find time to go to the tourney's...ima miss you phil. he was the one that actually got me and my brothers into the tourney scene and intro'd us to smashboards and i knew him since high school (G-house!) i hope we dont lose anymore cause who am i supposed to play if everybody is gone?

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
play some friendly between matches
No, you may not play friendlies during tournament unless it is late enough for extra TVs.

Minato, I was not at the PNT that time. I don't play in FFA or random tournaments.

Go to more tournaments to get rid of nervousness. There will be some situations / matchups where you will still be nervous no matter what, tho (rare).

I've been asking about Gideon for a while too. Haven't heard anything.

C!Z

Smash Lord
So Phil is a flake(puto haha). If there's anybody else who wants to play and doesn't intend on flakin this week let me know cuz I feel like playin.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
The tournament needs to run as fast as possible. Friendlies may not be played when a tournament match could be played instead. This has always been the rule.

If another TV would fit into the space I would rather have it be used for the same purpose as all of the other TVs, unless it is unusable for tournament matches (it would also have a lower space priority than the TVs that are usable).

tjrook

Smash Cadet
The tournament needs to run as fast as possible. Friendlies may not be played when a tournament match could be played instead. This has always been the rule.

If another TV would fit into the space I would rather have it be used for the same purpose as all of the other TVs, unless it is unusable for tournament matches (it would also have a lower space priority than the TVs that are usable).
Alright... :( I'll be fine... I hope... :dizzy:

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Well, if you really want to play that bad, I always have a 5-inch portable LCD screen that you can play on. But every time I bring it in the past (for friendly-only purposes), no one uses it...

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Well, if you really want to play that bad, I always have a 5-inch portable LCD screen that you can play on. But every time I bring it in the past (for friendly-only purposes), no one uses it...
I WOULD use it if I could get Phil to constantly hold up the screen :laugh: (OC3 joke)

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
There's nothing more annoying than trying to keep the tournament moving while there are people friendlying on the TV's.

Before and after the tournament though is a friendly haven. You should easily be able to get your fix.

Don't worry rook! To stave off boredom we can discuss the finer aspects of Jigglypuff, why she hasn't been released yet even though its what everyone's been waiting for, and maybe we can even have what I like to call a "mind match" where I hop into your head for a ethereal game of smash and abuse you there! :)

Or we can hit up PC on his LCD. That works too, I guess...

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Only HUGE tournaments have sections designated for friendly matches only. At FC, they rent TVs for the tournament and use any TVs that anyone brings for friendly matches. :)

Junpappy

Smash Lord
GRAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!

Everyone boycott Brawl!!!!

I can't accept a game in which Ike(what a ***) becomes a playable character, and Lyn gets demoted to assist trophy rank.

Casture

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that does kinda suck. Lyn was one I really wanted in Brawl, but don't cry, maybe they'll throw in Jafaar. Though, I think he might be too godly for this game. Trade Sheik for Jafaar.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Whoa, as in aladdin, jafaar? That would be pretty cool.
tjrook, they're right, don't worry about it; you'll end up playing more friendly's than you can imagine :).

Top Bottom