• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

☆_Mutha-Foxin GangstaKirby_☆

Banned via Warnings
waiting for mars to hurry up with that **** blunt
i cannot promise tourneys that far in advanced you already know this :/ and everyone should ALWAYS bring setups, you make it sound harder than it really is -_-; and i think 3-4 days (my usual amount) is plenty of notice to ask for a day off or to ask mommy and daddy for a ride to the tourney

i wont lie i cant change it no matter what you have to say about it :/ but im sure other people capable of hosting wouldnt have any problems

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium

Only you would actually bring this up. Greedy ah.

Dang that uair has insane reach!
I said don't worry as in. You don't need to pay me for the MM. you are decent guy and just lost some stuff.

vazor

Smash Apprentice

gratz X

Local tourneys aren't where you should be MMing people =P
I always try against people in NM, and I try to give advice when I've got some, it helps to promote an active healthy scene, they aren't going to like playing against people who only want money/to win at all times.
Dekar respect +1
I think it's fine to MM if both parties agree to it, but yeah from my observation of new players last weekend, I agree that they don't really like playing w/ people that always seem to want money.
I also think that it's all well and good to always go all out on locals. It's even better if you stop mid-friendly to teach someone something. I asked relatively new player at the tourney whether he would like that. He said yes.

Thanks Flying J mine was sadly not that fun (car broke down), I hope you had fun. See you around maybe!

ggs at the tourney C!Z, PC, RockMix, GKirbz, and Sinz

I agree, I'd much rather come and pay 5$ for the venue and some friendlies, ranbats, training and coaching than pay 5$ to get stomped three times in a row with barely any comments. It's good to get stomped, but it's not fun. As one new smasher said, "why do I have to pay to get my *** handed to me?" He wasn't hardcore enough or dedicated enough to want to lose (which as the best of us know, is the best way to learn), but does that mean we don't want him here? I say nay, we want to include more people so we can have a bigger better scene.
Thank you to those that really try to help the scene get better.

Yaz you seem to be giving some advice (even if it is somewhat grudgingly?) among your shoutouts now? cool that should help a lot- reminds me of Kenny :)

lol Ano "maybe" you can carpool with Flying J XD

Sorry about not being able to join tourneys any more guys. But it seems like no one wants me to (no one wants to MM me in my game so I take it they don't want me to MM or enter tourneys w/ them in their game). I also realized I was kind of selfish about using the Wii- I really wanted to be in the tourney but I can't pay any more (unless people help me out - foosball mm anyone?) and I was hoping to get in somehow.

GKirbz I don't know if it was all flippant or joking or not, but even your brief advice was really helpful. I really think a "training area" would be awesome- dedicate one Wii to be coaching zone only- where someone can go to learn how to be better.

I'm not sure whether I'll be bringing my Wii to any future tournies, and if I do, whether it will be just for training or not. It's hard to know what will just make me an outcast and what will actually help make everyone get better and bring in more people.

DRyu, thanks for always being cool. If GEEX is going to be an awesome tourney for the smash scene it's going to be mostly thanks to you.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Yea not like I care or anything but top players need to understand that if there isn't people at your tournies then there isn't a pot, so yea it's a good idea to give advice and try and help people become better.....or else the scene dies.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Yea not like I care or anything but top players need to understand that if there isn't people at your tournies then there isn't a pot, so yea it's a good idea to give advice and try and help people become better.....or else the scene dies.
hey, I try :(

Banned via Warnings

I agree, I'd much rather come and pay 5$ for the venue and some friendlies, ranbats, training and coaching than pay 5$ to get stomped three times in a row with barely any comments. It's good to get stomped, but it's not fun. As one new smasher said, "why do I have to pay to get my *** handed to me?" He wasn't hardcore enough or dedicated enough to want to lose (which as the best of us know, is the best way to learn), but does that mean we don't want him here? I say nay, we want to include more people so we can have a bigger better scene.
Thank you to those that really try to help the scene get better.

Yaz you seem to be giving some advice (even if it is somewhat grudgingly?) among your shoutouts now? cool that should help a lot- reminds me of Kenny :)

lol Ano "maybe" you can carpool with Flying J XD

Sorry about not being able to join tourneys any more guys. But it seems like no one wants me to (no one wants to MM me in my game so I take it they don't want me to MM or enter tourneys w/ them in their game). I also realized I was kind of selfish about using the Wii- I really wanted to be in the tourney but I can't pay any more (unless people help me out - foosball mm anyone?) and I was hoping to get in somehow.

GKirbz I don't know if it was all flippant or joking or not, but even your brief advice was really helpful. I really think a "training area" would be awesome- dedicate one Wii to be coaching zone only- where someone can go to learn how to be better.

I'm not sure whether I'll be bringing my Wii to any future tournies, and if I do, whether it will be just for training or not. It's hard to know what will just make me an outcast and what will actually help make everyone get better and bring in more people.

DRyu, thanks for always being cool. If GEEX is going to be an awesome tourney for the smash scene it's going to be mostly thanks to you.
thing is vazor people come to tourneys for smash, and not fooseball... if it was a foosefest (LOL) then people would prolly mm you to get more skill. no one at smash fests mm's me in like tekken or sf... and im really sorry to hear that 5 bucks affects you so much but if i let one person play free everyone else will try to bring wiis and such in lieu of entry fee too ):

but the advice was what i would have done in some of those situations but they gameplay between you and whomever it was seemed alil slow so it was partially joking partially not...

the thing about a "training" specific wii is that thats basically a friendlies only wii, which we usually end up having anyways.... and tbh, the only/best way to get better imho is to play with best and take all the **** and such until you are the one ****** them instead

also when/where will the geex tourney be? POST LINKS !!!

one thing i seriously hate is when people have the "why pay to get *****" attitude :/ i take it as this, you arent paying to get ***** you are paying to get more experience and learn from your mistakes

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
one thing i seriously hate is when people have the "why pay to get *****" attitude :/ i take it as this, you arent paying to get ***** you are paying to get more experience and learn from your mistakes
mutha****ing gkirbz. I love ya bro.

r3d d09

Smash Master
thing is vazor people come to tourneys for smash, and not fooseball... if it was a foosefest (LOL) then people would prolly mm you to get more skill. no one at smash fests mm's me in like tekken or sf... and im really sorry to hear that 5 bucks affects you so much but if i let one person play free everyone else will try to bring wiis and such in lieu of entry fee too ):

but the advice was what i would have done in some of those situations but they gameplay between you and whomever it was seemed alil slow so it was partially joking partially not...

the thing about a "training" specific wii is that thats basically a friendlies only wii, which we usually end up having anyways.... and tbh, the only/best way to get better imho is to play with best and take all the **** and such until you are the one ****** them instead

also when/where will the geex tourney be? POST LINKS !!!

if you play someone that's not that good. give them advice ingame... like i was in the tourney.

I'd rather lose and help someone beat me, than me owning so hard that they wont come to the next tourney.

I would pay to be graped!

the thing is, i could bring more people. like the few i brought. but they don't play smash a lot. they play it when they want to, and to have fun. this is the casual player. as all of us are people that want to become the best we can.
i basically conceded in singles. i wasn't feeling good so i didn't go balls out.

i myself could bring in 10+ people into the smash scene. but as of now. they are all casual. or just love playing with people of their skill level...

i know a few people only play with the noobs to make themselves feel better. I'm not going to say names. but really? when i play with them. i'm not going to go balls out. this is the time that i take to try new things, go way out of my comfort zone to learn on what i need to work on and stuff that i've improved on.

this is also that i play high learning curve toons that i don't devote time into. when i go to smashfests. that's my only playing time. as others as well. i'm not saying it's just me and feel pity upon me. no.

just help others. i remember in CO when yaz and sinz sat aside and had sinz work on the grab release to dair/fair etc. why can't there be more of that?

Yaz talks to me about stuff he does and when i should expect for him to do it. it's okay to show your weak spots, by abusing them or using them to OUR advantage. it will make him better.

Are you comfortable enough to tell others your weak spots in the game? Observe your game and others for repetitive things and let them aware of it.

I'd like when i have the time, to record a set or two of people. and we seriously sit down in a group or something and talk about what they could have done better. and what they do nicely. Coming from a sports player. Film is amazing. it can impact the amount you improve tremendously.

/wall of text

the wall of text will continue a different day.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
I've known about geex since the first one in 08 they didn't do a smash tourney but I entered the cod4 and halo 3 tournies

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i cannot promise tourneys that far in advanced you already know this :/ and everyone should ALWAYS bring setups, you make it sound harder than it really is -_-; and i think 3-4 days (my usual amount) is plenty of notice to ask for a day off or to ask mommy and daddy for a ride to the tourney

i wont lie i cant change it no matter what you have to say about it :/ but im sure other people capable of hosting wouldnt have any problems
I think you missed the key points of my post. I pointed out you could keep it short notice, but designate it to certain points in the month so we can expect a tourney around that time.

Unless it's really a matter of planning it out depending you have a free weekend, in which case I apologize.

But I still think my idea should be incorporated in some way. By which we should designate a specific tourney to go on a specific Saturday of the month. So maybe not your tourney, which means we should probably get a second one going. I know this may be asking a bit much, but I honestly think this is for the best. By having two tournies like before, we stand a greater chance of a bigger turnout, better chances of smashers showing up to at least one a month, more practice for OoS, better advertisement, a lot of good things.

But really, it would be nice to have a tourney we KNOW is gonna happen at a certain time. Because, myself included, I know of a few people wher 3-4 days is NOT enough notice. I'm gonna be working Saturdays again, and I can't take that time off unless I get MORE THAN A WEEKS notice, and I know people like Serve are the same way. I'm motivated finally to attend these tournies, but I don't want a thing like my schedule to be in the way.

It was great when we had two tournies going, where we always knew one would be held on the first Saturday and the other a week or so later. It was flexible enough to get both new and old smashers to come, but close enough where all of us could get in enough practice.

So maybe getting a venue would be an excellent idea. We could hold it there once a month, keep the schedule the same, and advertise more and more to get more smashers. It fulfills so many different aspects, it's hard to see why it could be bad! It's a great idea!

At the very least, it would just be nice to have a tourney with a schedule, and not just randomly placed on different Saturdays. I didn't mind before because I always had Saturdays off, but with funds now gone and school taking up more time, I can see why people like a scheduled tourney every month. It's easier to rely on.

But we should make an official tourney thread. It kinda sucks I see new guys coming in asking where one is, and we have to tell them to come here.

DZLE

Smash Master
thanks. I've always wanted your DZLE body.

lets play some HoN, I will mid with panda ;)

ALSO

You should go balls out
Well thank you, my body is quite nice. Just ask X, he knows all about it.

Also, yes, HoN, text me up man. Mid with Panda? You must be a genius or a madman. Genius probably. I'm pro but Panda mid seems situational. a Quick 6 could garuntee some ganks though for sure...

And man I always go balls out

ALSO:
DZLE's spectacular BRAWL SMASHFEST is underway.
I'll get more details on when.

r3d d09

Smash Master

Also, yes, HoN, text me up man. Mid with Panda? You must be a genius or a madman. Genius probably. I'm pro but Panda mid seems situational. a Quick 6 could garuntee some ganks though for sure...

ALSO:
8018287981 are muh digits. and it's easy. depending on what character is mid. usually you don't even have to ult. just the flick to cannonball is enough, bottle up, then go on your way to ganking :D

tw1n

Smash Champion
LOl long time no talk to Utah! Aside from Sinz and X (who now lives in Cali tho...) I never talk to our little sister state! Lol but with all jokes aside how've you all been?!

Banned via Warnings
Lanky... i didnt miss a god**** thing i cannot plan more than 3-4 days in advanced PERIOD

ALSO:
i will be there

Are you saying I'm good or something?
you are the scrubbiest meta i have ever seen

LOl long time no talk to Utah! Aside from Sinz and X (who now lives in Cali tho...) I never talk to our little sister state! Lol but with all jokes aside how've you all been?!
good, you member of our older pms'ing sister state?

vazor

Smash Apprentice
I was being sincere. Sorry it probably didn't sound right after all that other jazz, I just wanted to be clear that I still want all of us to do everything we can to reach out using GEEX and make an OoS tourney that people drive to Utah for. :)
GEEX is going to (unless PC and DRyu change it) have the same setup as Evo or maybe R2 or whatever that last OoS tourney was that you guys went to.

DZLE is the new Gojira? I'll believe he's having a smashfest when I see it.

Lanky would you pay 5$ a month for a consistent venue? 10$?

Anyway yeah DRyu should have an awesome GEEX thread up soon but there will definitely be Smash this time.

-Serve-

Smash Cadet
Am I hearing some HoN talk right now?!
Dryu, quit playing LoL and get your A over to HoN. You'll love it man. :)

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
BTW, do you ever use snapshots for anything? And do you still play on the AiB ladder?

Edit: Also, what version of the Wii System Menu do you have? (I'm sure this doesn't matter, but just to be sure.)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
But I still think my idea should be incorporated in some way. By which we should designate a specific tourney to go on a specific Saturday of the month. So maybe not your tourney, which means we should probably get a second one going. I know this may be asking a bit much, but I honestly think this is for the best. By having two tournies like before, we stand a greater chance of a bigger turnout, better chances of smashers showing up to at least one a month, more practice for OoS, better advertisement, a lot of good things.

But really, it would be nice to have a tourney we KNOW is gonna happen at a certain time. Because, myself included, I know of a few people wher 3-4 days is NOT enough notice. I'm gonna be working Saturdays again, and I can't take that time off unless I get MORE THAN A WEEKS notice, and I know people like Serve are the same way. I'm motivated finally to attend these tournies, but I don't want a thing like my schedule to be in the way.
I already tried this speech a while ago. :/

Top Bottom