• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
Its not like Smash would be the first to ban a character
  • "Changing the way the way the game is played" is a bad excuse. It has never been the reason to ban anything.
  • Smash would be the first to ban a normal character as far as I know. Every example of a banned character is an unlockable boss character. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IEiSgkOUYU&feature=related How is MK compared to Gill (the focus of the vid is more on the supers and stun than the combos)?
  • Your unrelated analogies aren't helping.

I don't really care about MK. I just wanted to sneak in some 3S >_>

Btw, if you really want MK banned, you could easily ban MK at ToF, but anyone whose favorite char is MK might not show up anymore.

lengeta

Smash Ace
Competitive Pokemon bans a lot of characters actually. But it's also turn and stat based, so balancing is a different thing entirely from a fighter. I see the point you're getting at, but I don't think it hits home. Pokemon does have a lot of countering options, but it's example supports Meta's ban because the communities ban over-powered characters.

I'm way out of the loop now, but I'm still on the side of not banning Meta. We also never suffered from someone abusing him in Utah either though, so I'm biased anyway...

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
I am leaning more towards a ban, but that's just because I haven't figured out how to beat him yet. I think that a lot more needs to be done before banning him, if it's going to happen. I still remember when almost everyone thought he sucked because of lack of kill moves. LOL! I think we need several more months so we can see just how broken/non-broken this character is. Sure he is very good... NOW. If he is still dominating a little further down the road, then a ban might be the best possible choice.

harpuia190

Smash Ace
speaking of bans, i was unclear on some things regards what stages fall where, basically

Starter/Counter
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1

Counter/Banned
Green Greens
Mario Circuit
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld

sooo i wanna know where these stages fall into, i put this in the utah thread cause i figure both tournies have been pretty much samesies on this

personally i feel
Starter/Counter
Castle Siege C
Delfino S
Halberd S
Lylat Cruise S
Pokémon Stadium 1 C

Counter/Banned
Green Greens C
Mario Circuit B
Onett C
Port Town Aero Dive C
Skyworld C

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Port town aeor drive should not be a counter. Cars kill you at like 30% and they hit you even when you're on the platform.

Also, the first post in the tourney threads are always a good place to look for things like that >__>

harpuia190

Smash Ace
*sigh* man im getting slapped around with all this logic and facts, i need more sleep, resume your metadebates

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I've been saying it before, don't ban Meta Knight. He's not that hard to beat once you get used to facing them.

For the case on character banning, I've never played a fighting game where characters are banned for tournament play. Games like Street Fighter and Guilty Gear are different, their rules are based on which characters are available in the arcades.

Dmac==~

Smash Rookie
Banning in fighting games has always been weird, For some reason the US bans Gouki/Akuma in Street Fighter 2 Turbo, but Japan doesnt or has a soft ban on him.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Hey did DarkMusician come out to Utah? His new videos on his channel say Salt Lake friendlies......or does that not have anything to do with us?

slave1

Smash Lord
yeah banning a stage only leads to to a better balance, and not cheep infinates and or zero death walk offs. but if you ban a character you automatically drop competitive players. you force them to pick up another character. and MK just makes others have to play that much better.

___X___

Smash Lord
Hey did DarkMusician come out to Utah? His new videos on his channel say Salt Lake friendlies......or does that not have anything to do with us?
yeahh, i was wondering also..

who knows. maybe there is another smash scene in salt lake...??

haha

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I think when Xsyven said to have a "soft ban" on Meta Knight, he means to have all the of the regular, more skilled players all agree to not use him, but if some noob breaks the agreement not to use him (either because they don't know or don't care), then the opponent could also pick him, too. But this sort of thing works better for characters at the level of Akuma, etc.
If he didn't mean that, then MAYBE he meant to leave it up to the host...

And I'm not really neutral on this matter; I'm just tired of arguing with people about it.

Oh, and as for Pokémon: it has enough Pokémon that they can have a separate competitive category consisting of the ones banned from Standard play (i.e. the Uber tier). They actually have a bunch of different metagames (Standard, Uber, Under-Used, Petit...). Smash only has 35 selectable characters, and it's not turn based (and MANY, MANY other differences), so Pokémon can't be used as examples to justify anything in the Meta Knight case.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Stages were banned because it changed the game to be more about avoiding hasards and out live your opponent in that way.
No offense but I don't think you seem to understand the point of stage bans. Stage bans focus more on the elimination of broken tactics(stalling mostly) and randomness associated with each stage that gets banned rather than hazards that can affect the match. As a Brawl player you probably never really thought about stage bans for Melee but thats how it was in Melee. Brawl, however, introduced EXTREME game breaking obstacles on certain stages so maybe you interpreted those as being the main reasons for stage banning.

I agree it is more risky and it should be taken more seriously then a stage ban, but I keep hereing the arguement "banning is always bad" or "People will laugh at us if we ban a character" we do ban thing, and wouldn't be the first to ban a character. ?
Banning IS always bad. The community just has to decide if Metaknight is worse.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
You should all be worrying about ICs, not MK. >_>
ICs aren't that bad; don't get grabbed. ;)

Seriously though, their chain grabs are hard to pull off and the timing is different for each character. Plus, ICs are harder to use than Meta Knight.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
[1]"Changing the way the way the game is played" is a bad excuse. It has never been the reason to ban anything.
One major reason, not the only but one reason, to not have Brawl+ is because it changes the way the game is played. There are several more such as it puts wii's in danger that I dont think we should get into.
[2]Smash would be the first to ban a normal character as far as I know. Every example of a banned character is an unlockable boss character. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IEiSgkOUYU&feature=related How is MK compared to Gill (the focus of the vid is more on the supers and stun than the combos)?
Correct me if im wrong on this but in Halo, not quite a fighting game but is still very competitive, several things are banned such as rockets, and tanks in several different types of play. Now you can't quite ban a character seeing as there are only 2 (Master chief and the Arbitor, all though the only one you will see in the competitive field is Master chief as he is better) but the closest thing you can really do to banning a character in Halo would be banning a weapon.
[3]Your unrelated analogies aren't helping.
In any sort of debate you ask a question or give an example called a lead that shows another situation where somthing similar should have or did happen.

I don't really care about MK. I just wanted to sneak in some 3S >_>

Btw, if you really want MK banned, you could easily ban MK at ToF, but anyone whose favorite char is MK might not show up anymore.
I have already said before that I would like it to be a Utah rule set not a different rule set for each tourny and I also want it to be the communities choice, I am not the only one who thinks this several people who I have talked to in our little fun loving group have said the same so I don't see why I am the only one who seems to be deffending this side.

I think when Xsyven said to have a "soft ban" on Meta Knight, he means to have all the of the regular, more skilled players all agree to not use him, but if some noob breaks the agreement not to use him (either because they don't know or don't care), then the opponent could also pick him, too. But this sort of thing works better for characters at the level of Akuma, etc.
If he didn't mean that, then MAYBE he meant to leave it up to the host...
Like I said above I would like to go by a Utah rule set and not just make my own up for my tourny. I would be fine trying this
more skilled players all agree to not use him, but if some noob breaks the agreement not to use him (either because they don't know or don't care), then the opponent could also pick him, too.
but I think in the end it will come down to a vote between all of us, each saying: ban, keep, don't care, unsure and I am fine with doing that. However many people have said try a temp. ban so again I would be fine with trying somthing like for the month of dec. MK is banned then we see if we liked it or not.

And I'm not really neutral on this matter; I'm just tired of arguing with people about it.
I feel the same way about politics right now thank god it ends today. But it is something that we as a group should be talking about.

No offense but I don't think you seem to understand the point of stage bans. Stage bans focus more on the elimination of broken tactics(stalling mostly) and randomness associated with each stage that gets banned rather than hazards that can affect the match. As a Brawl player you probably never really thought about stage bans for Melee but thats how it was in Melee. Brawl, however, introduced EXTREME game breaking obstacles on certain stages so maybe you interpreted those as being the main reasons for stage banning.
None taken, but I don't think a stage such as WarioWare was banned for stalling, but more so for hasards and randomness. And Mario Bros. doesn't even have the same feel of randomness as WarioWare, yet it is banned I assume for item use and hasards. Except distant planet is still pickable and it has the same kind of items, just not as deadly. 75m, Flat Zone 2, Big Blue are all banned for hasards, I believe. Like you said Brawl has much crazier stages then melee but they were all banned because they changed the game into something we didn't want it to be, they made it less about who is the skilled player and more about the stage. MK can do the same everywhere I look its "how can ____ beat MK" or "How do you stop MK's ____" the game isn't about how skilled the player is but more so about what if they pick MK what can't I do then. Yet with all this talk as far as I have heard/seen noone has found something they can try to exploit.

Seeing as how Utah is a state where MK is not a predominant character, we should instead do the community a favor and continue to allow him to see how a scene that allows MK develops as opposed to those that do not. You shouldn't ban characters for not having weaknesses. You should ban characters for being unbeatable.
Thats a great point, but that has been happening all over, on the east coast and Texas MK is everywhere so you would think that someone would find something if he is in every match but they arn't. Im not saying we need to do this by the end of the week or anything and am totaly fine with keeping him until the end of the month or year, but I keep hearing people say wait, but not giving any sort of dead line if we can set a date and say if we still feel MK is OP by the ____ then we try a soft, temp., or even all out ban I am all for it.

Banning IS always bad. The community just has to decide if Metaknight is worse.
Banning isn't alway bad, like we said above stages and items are bad. But ya "The community just has to decide if Metaknight is worse."

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Haha it was a joke. I am getting the Z grabbing down though. I'm hoping they'll be tourney worthy by MA.
Z grabbing is tough. I can get some of them down, but I can't Z grab worth crap standing up at the Play and Trade.

minato you act as if bruces IC's were easy to beat
I was just kidding. I have played him and he's awesome with ICs. I'm just quoting his sig.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I was able to Z grab characters all the way across FD after like half an hour.. And the change in timing for different characters isn't that bad either. I can get the difference in timing after 2-3 attempts on them. My only problem is actually doing it in a real match. But I'm getting there.

wangston

Smash Lord
ICs=broken ban them
Snake=broken he can pull out a freaking box and spike you with it. Also in doubles you me a freaking box machine and have your partner use the boxes nonstop.
Captain Falcon=broken He has no proitriy and everyone in the game can just fair him right of the edge.

But in all seriousness in both places I've smashed in Louisville and here in sexy Utah Meta has not been a huge threat that he is in other tournaments. So I can see why people wouldn't want a ban or don't understand why he should be banned. However at the META game Meta knight is just too good. Look what has happened to Texas and a few of the east coast tournaments. Meta Knight is the most dominate character. If we did have a meta knight playing at the current meta game level everyone would think differently about banning him. Yaz step up your game and show us how broken meta knight is. Hell let's just have David pick up and master meta knight. Honest to goodness there is no reason for us to ban meta knight in our region Yaz is the only serious MK player and he hasn't reach that highest level of play, no offense to you Yaz. None of us have with out respected characters we still have a while to go. But once Yaz or anyone else for that matter gets to that level we're going to think other wise.

PS thanks alot kenny crump I just woke up and missed two of my classes. You and your stupid perfect character counters. If only I would have popped more balloons hahha.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
PS thanks alot kenny crump I just woke up and missed two of my classes. You and your stupid perfect character counters. If only I would have popped more balloons hahha.
hahahahahahahahaha. last night was so fun! I just need to perfect counter everyone in tourney (and pop all the balloons of course) and I will never lose.

harpuia190

Smash Ace
wangston, kenny, sorry i didnt come down, i found out that my pals are doing missionary week or something, so i couldnt come down, and i am sick so bleh

and we should ban ness guys, his Bthrow is OP i think it kills at 3% maybe even 2% and ness has a better grab than olimar

why dont we all go back to playing ivysuar

wangston

Smash Lord
How does one apply to be a smash director. . I've been in charge of the Louisville weekly tournament all summer and I still run it from here I'm just that good.

wangston

Smash Lord
Thanks crump. What the difference between the Broomers and the SBroomers. I only thought there was the sbr.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Fate, that long post of your was really hard to read... USE MORE COMMAS AND PERIODS!!

Oh, and wangston, The Back Room is for intelligent posters in general that are active and have shown that they can contribute to an intelligent conversation; the Smash Back Room is for people whom have contributed a lot to the game of Smash on SmashBoards and/or is well known to have a lot of knowledge on it and can discuss the game intelligently.

PS: Minato, that new avatar of yours looks much better than your previous one (the old one looked kind of weird).

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer

Oh, and wangston, The Back Room is for intelligent posters in general that are active and have shown that they can contribute to an intelligent conversation; the Smash Back Room is for people whom have contributed a lot to the game of Smash on SmashBoards and/or is well known to have a lot of knowledge on it and can discuss the game intelligently.
...how did I end up back there then? >_>

Also @ MK, if St. George ever visits, I'm bringing Kolbie232. His MK is gay as hell. If he plays any other character, I usually win. When he plays MK, I'm usually 2-stocked.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
...how did I end up back there then? >_>

Also @ MK, if St. George ever visits, I'm bringing Kolbie232. His MK is gay as hell. If he plays any other character, I usually win. When he plays MK, I'm usually 2-stocked.
Bad *** avatar btw..... And come up for MA this month or for ToF next month.

As for PC..........,,,,..................................,,.................................,...............................................,...........................,,..............................,,,.......,................,.............,..........,...........................,..............,..............................,.................................,...................................,.............................................,.............................,............,,...........,,..........................................................,.......................,......................,.............................................,.....................,,................,............,.............................,,,.

I hope that makes up for all I have missed in the past or in times to come.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
PS: Minato, that new avatar of yours looks much better than your previous one (the old one looked kind of weird).

That one was temporary. So is this one, probably...

After a long while, I'm actually looking forward to the next Smash tourney (MA9) for once. I kind of got bored of Brawl for a little while.

C!Z

Smash Lord
ICs=broken ban them
Snake=broken he can pull out a freaking box and spike you with it. Also in doubles you me a freaking box machine and have your partner use the boxes nonstop.
Captain Falcon=broken He has no proitriy and everyone in the game can just fair him right of the edge.

But in all seriousness in both places I've smashed in Louisville and here in sexy Utah Meta has not been a huge threat that he is in other tournaments. So I can see why people wouldn't want a ban or don't understand why he should be banned. However at the META game Meta knight is just too good. Look what has happened to Texas and a few of the east coast tournaments. Meta Knight is the most dominate character. If we did have a meta knight playing at the current meta game level everyone would think differently about banning him. Yaz step up your game and show us how broken meta knight is. Hell let's just have David pick up and master meta knight. Honest to goodness there is no reason for us to ban meta knight in our region Yaz is the only serious MK player and he hasn't reach that highest level of play, no offense to you Yaz. None of us have with out respected characters we still have a while to go. But once Yaz or anyone else for that matter gets to that level we're going to think other wise.

Banning a character that not everyone in the rest of the Smash community isn't banning is stupid. You're only limiting yourselves and not preparing for the rest of the world.

wangston

Smash Lord
Banning a character that not everyone in the rest of the Smash community isn't banning is stupid. You're only limiting yourselves and not preparing for the rest of the world.
Well I'm all for banning him when the SBR and the community bans him but there is no reason for us to do an early ban like New Mexico or Italy has done. So right now there is no reason for us to ban Meta Knight.

Sexy Yaz

Smash Apprentice
I'm holding back cause I don't want my main to be banned. That's gonna be my john every time I lose hahahaha. Word.

Top Bottom