• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Erion

Smash Cadet
'Sup guys...
Maybe you guys already heard about me, I'm the guy who just came from Brazil...
Now I'm living in Harrisville and I couldn't go to the tournaments because they were too far away or I just didn't have time.

Well... that's it, I just wanted to introduce myself! ;)

See ya!

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Probably out eating some dirt or something.
I look forward to smashing you with my improved Yoshi skills!:laugh: ;) (nah I need more practice before I'm that good.)

Allright well just asking a hypothetical question, would any of you guys be willing to come to a tournament in Evanston, Wyoming? Evanston is in the corner of the state and only about 10 minutes away from the Utah border and I could potentially get the back room in Wal-Mart reserved because my dad is the store manager. We would probably have enough TVs but, need some copies of the game. Again though this is just a hypothetical scenario. Oh and we would probably have refreshmants free to you like soda, potato chips, cupcakes and stuff like that.

lengeta

Smash Ace
lol, for a second I was all like "Evingston isn't even close to the boarder," then I saw it was Evanston.

Anyway, it's only about an hour-and-a-half from Salt Lake City, and 3-1/2 to 4 hours from Idaho Falls (you'd be coming down through Ogden, then heading East.). I'd totally be down for it, could carpool in my van. Let us know if it happens.

BC, I think Gojira wanted you to come because it's in Roy, quite a bit closer to you guys than Sandy.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
The driving difference isn't the reason why Zack wanted you to come to the next biweekly.

Takalth

Smash Ace
Erion, I just checked Google maps, and it looks like you should only be a few miles away from Gojira. Besides giving you somebody nearby to smash with, you two could probably work something out for tournament transportation.

As for a Wyoming tournament, what kind of attendance would we be seeing. Will it be entirely a matter of who Utah and Idaho send, or do you have a few Wyoming smashers (as well as possibly some from other states)?

laozy

Smash Journeyman
ultimate showdown

okay, i just canceled our date for usud. i was wondering if we should even hold such a big tournament and donate to oc3 instead. we should at least wait and see. i would rather play 100 bucks to go and play with a lot more professionals including some from japan, than to pay 50 bucks and see a few. this is just my idea....and its a daymn good one :laugh:

Gojira

Smash Lord
okay, i just canceled our date for usud. i was wondering if we should even hold such a big tournament and donate to oc3 instead. we should at least wait and see. i would rather play 100 bucks to go and play with a lot more professionals including some from japan, than to pay 50 bucks and see a few. this is just my idea....and its a daymn good one :laugh:
Great. Now wether we do host a big tourney here or donate to OC3 then carppol there is an iono question.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I say just put everything from the biweekly pots into OC3 donations.

I'm sure no one is going to miss the awesome 12 dollar prize for winning first....might as well put it to something more useful like helping OC3.

Takalth

Smash Ace
So when people talk about donatinc to OC3, does that mean helping pay for gas money and hotels, paying a fee to enter Utah into the tournament, or something else?

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Donating to OC3 means donating to the funds that the OC3 staff will use to help pay for the venue, food, transportation, and getting the Japanese players to California.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
RagingAsian said:
I say just put everything from the biweekly pots into OC3 donations.
Well, if all of the money from the pot go to OC3 funds, then they'll be less reason for me to attend than there already are, since I'm not going to OC3. Also, there will be other people that are not going to OC3, so tha'll prety much be telling them "you must donate to this cause if you want to enter the tournament". This will attract less people.
Anyway, there's is only one more scheduled "biweekly" anyway...

laozy

Smash Journeyman
since there is no usud anytime soon, we are able to hold more biweeklies. or even triweeklies, or even everyweeklies. putting all the prize money in a jar and donating to oc3 isn't a bad idea. we should give the 3rd place a high-five, 2nd place a hug, and first place winner 2 high-fives, a kiss , a hug and a date with junpei...how can anyone resist.
i think the oc3 donations can go toward rental-car, gas, and hotel. the left over money we should give to oc3 staff or we could just keep it.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Well that WOULD give me incentive to not let anyone but Phil win first :laugh: but if people would stop coming then why not just hold a donations tournament on the side at each biweekly/triweekly or something like that.

Gojira

Smash Lord
OC3 donations

we dont have to donate the whole pot of every biweekly. I say that we should dontate 10% of every pot to OC3.

-also-

US2 is not going to happen with all pros know an OC3 may happen and will not attend US2. So the second week of april is going to be a 10 dollar tourney or something

lengeta

Smash Ace
I think we sould all just give up on life. Meh, as long as we have tournies going once per month everything will be great from my perspective. I don't think I'll be making OC3.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
What you could do it take 2nd and 3rd place prizes and put those up for OC3 but still give first its prize on the $2 entry fee ones and on any ones with a higher entry fee you could just take a small amount from the pot.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
OK.....we won't be taking any noticeable amount out of the pot for OC3. If you really want to donate that bad, it's very easy to just do it yourself.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
We won't be donating anything directly to OC3 from the prize pot. Donating should not be mandatory without a concensus. There is obviously no concensus.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Most people probably won't care too much about donating seeing as how most people probably won't be going to OC3.

laozy

Smash Journeyman
please vote now

i think that utah should have a vote whether or not to donate to oc3.

1... donate all of biweeklies prize pool to oc3 (1st gets a date with junpei)
2...1st place gets 50% of prize pool and donate the rest.(come on , it's only a few dollars)
3...take out 25% of prize pool for donations and 75% of the rest have our standard 60/30/10 payout
4...be greedy and dont donate, and be happy with the little amount you have won.

pm me for you votes......i am dang serious about this :)

please note that donations will be going toward utah smashers.
that means we will spend the donations on a rental car, gas, and hotel.
we could also give oc3 some money so we have a better chance of seeing japanese players....THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO PLAY WITH REAL PROFESSIONALS.

Takalth

Smash Ace
I guess the way I see it, the only votes that should matter are those from the people near the top in Utah. Otherwise, it's like 1 rich guy and 3 poor people having a vote on whether the richest person there should give each of the others lots of money.

laozy

Smash Journeyman
it doesn't matter...you are still part of the Utah smash community and SHOULD vote on whatever YOU think is fair.
I want everyone to vote, that includes chao and rafa who isn't on smashboards.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I vote for #4.
Chao's going to vote for #4 for sure, as the money is low enough without taking money out. The reason he didn't go to Anime Banzai was because there were no money payout.
Rafa-Son will not likely go unless I go to a tourny, so he'll side with me.
Soto is in the same situation as Rafa. If I don't go OR Chao doesn't go, then he won't go (both of us has to go for him to go), so he'll side with Chao and me.
Also, none of us are going to OC3.

So I'll speak for all of them, and say that it's four votes for number 4 (although there shouldn't even be a vote, really...partially for the reason that Takalth stated).

laozy

Smash Journeyman
it seems to me that you play smash mainly for money. does $12 richer make you that much happy. if thats the case, then so be it.
we are doing to votes to see how Utah smashers feel about donating. one voice cant speak for the whole community.

probably the main reason people don't want to donate is the fact that they get nothing in return.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I don't play just for money, but just to at least want something in return, as to not waste time (I can already Smash with good players for free...so why travel farther to lose money...). If I play just for money, I wouldn't have come to Anime Banzai (which didn't waste my time, BTW, as I had other reasons to be there). Out of my group, Chao is probably the one that cares most about the money...but that's not the point.
How about if you win, you can donate as much of your winnings as you want? :-\

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
The problem with a vote on smash boards is that like half of the people that play never look on the boards so if you have a vote you should try to have one during a tourney or something so more of Utah is in on the vote

laozy

Smash Journeyman
yea i know that. my post is to let people know about it to spread the word. of course im going to tell people at tourneys.

C!Z

Smash Lord
Where is OC3 ? lol As far as my take on the voting thingamajig it would suck to win and say you got nothing for it even if it was for a trip. Personally I think the entry fee is too small even though I don't win. I don't see how you can't come up with at least 5 bucks every other week? That's .36 cents a day you broke a$$' anyways.... I'm still vetoing Saturdays haha

Junpappy

Smash Lord
OC3 will be somewhere in Socal, but they haven't chosen where yet.

I'm actually in favor of raising the entry fees, even though that's most likely money I'll never see again.

Takalth

Smash Ace
I'd like to see a mix for entry fees. I like the $2 tournaments because (1) I never win and (2) they're better for recruiting.

On the other hand, I like to see Idaho come down, and it would be really cool if we could get Arizona again, so I'd like to see a share of higher dollar tournaments, since we are about to finish the original biweekly schedule.

The other thing I would like to see would be round robin pools with a single elimination bracket for the top people. Last time we tried pools, everybody said it took too long, but that's because, we took the top 16, and I think we put them into a double elim (though I don't quite remember, because I wasn't one of the top 16). That was also a tournament where we had a crew battle, which contributed to the length.

If we put fewer people into a single elimination bracket, though, it won't take too much longer than the way we have been doing it, and those extra games will go to people who normally get eliminated quickly. One of the main reasons I often skipped the more expensive tournaments was because I typically got to play 2-3 rounds (which is hardly worth $5 plus gas money), so the only reason I bothered coming was to try to get friendlies in.

Anyway, that's my suggestion for the tournament setup that will replace the biweeklies. We could even discuss it with Idaho and Arizona to make sure our expensive tournaments line up with the weekends that they can come down.

Top Bottom