• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I'm not trying to be a pessimist here but why would you want to do top 16 after round robins in a single elimination? Most of the time we don't even get that many people so it would practically be like doing a rr tournament as well as a regular tournament. If you really wanted to do rr pooling into an elimination bracket, it should be top 8 double elimination after the round robin.

Takalth

Smash Ace
You didn't read my post, RA. I said that the last time, the PROBLEM was doing 16 people after round robin.

And FTS, why does single elim suck if it's only a few people? Basically, if you're even in the single elimination, you are already near the top. However it's set up, though, I would like to see a way to get those of us who aren't as good into more matches without making the tournament take too long. The most fun tournament I've been to by far was when we only had 11 people so we just did one big round robin.

SideEffect001

Smash Lord
Hey Jeyt it was fun playing u today....sorry about all the three-four stockings xD. I wish I would have hada controller with the rubber still on it....i hated using that....Foxthestampede....are u the best in Utah?

lengeta

Smash Ace
Yeah, single elimination ruins everything. You can still get a little screwed in a double, but with single you have to get seeded luckily to place if your not #1. If we actually ran the tournament really strict, called out who's playing who and on what TV, a 20 person double elimination would only take a couple hours. Plus it would be done in rounds, meaning who ever wins the winners bracket doesn't have to wait forever to play in the final.

So, we're still doing a bi-weekly this upcoming weekend right? And is anything going on the week after where US2 was suppose to be? I have Fri/Sat/Sun (Mar30, 31, & Apr1) off.

Also, the Play 'n Trade here in Orem is running another Smash tourny April 21st, just so's ya'll have a heads up.

Takalth

Smash Ace
I don't think people are quite getting what I'm suggesting. Full example: 16 people show up. Divide into two pools and play. Top two from each pool do a 4 person single elimin (I guess you could do double if you wanted). but if you're in the single elimination part, you can't do worse than 4th place.

Why is that better? Because everybody gets a decent number of games in. The only reason I even brought up the time issue was because that was the complaint against last time we used round robin to seed a bracket, so I was hoping to alleviate it.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
If we got enough people then we would do pools. We almost never get enough people to do pools. What should I do with the people who complain about RR being too many matches and getting tired? There is plenty of time to play friendlies with whoever you want before and after the tournament. Why not get more matches then?

Gojira

Smash Lord
Yeah, single elimination ruins everything. You can still get a little screwed in a double, but with single you have to get seeded luckily to place if your not #1. If we actually ran the tournament really strict, called out who's playing who and on what TV, a 20 person double elimination would only take a couple hours. Plus it would be done in rounds, meaning who ever wins the winners bracket doesn't have to wait forever to play in the final.

So, we're still doing a bi-weekly this upcoming weekend right? And is anything going on the week after where US2 was suppose to be? I have Fri/Sat/Sun (Mar30, 31, & Apr1) off.

Also, the Play 'n Trade here in Orem is running another Smash tourny April 21st, just so's ya'll have a heads up.
There will be a 5 dollar tourney hosted by me at FTS's if enouhg people want to do it and if FTS is ok with it

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Ok I must have misread your post then. It seemed like you meant to implicate an undivided round robin seeding into an elimination bracket. If we get enough people though, I would be in favor of doing smaller round robins seeding into a double elimination bracket, although (obviously) it's ultimately up to FtS.

Takalth

Smash Ace
There are a couple problems with the "just do friendlies" approach. First: you have to wait for the tournament to be over, and second, most people try to only do friendlies with those of equal or greater skill. I can always get as many friendlies as I want with people who are close to my level, but the really good players usually only want to play against each other (Gojira being the only exception that I've seen).

Besides, I tend to ask a lot of people to play friendlies, but newcomers seldom do. The guys from wyoming hung out for about an hour with free TV's and free people, until I offered to do some matches against them.

Besides, what's wrong with having a small number of pools when you have fewer people. The example I gave above (which is based on common attendance at biweeklies) wouldn't put people in as many matches as our full RR's do, but it saves people from paying for two games, then waiting around for a couple hours before they can do any more.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
I don't know if its that the "good people" only want to play with each other but they might just be smashed out after a tournament or they did worse than they thought they would and don't want to play for a bit. As for the RR thing i think you should try to keep tourneys as short as you can because not everyone who goes to the tournaments can stay for to long or really just don't want to.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
There are a couple problems with the "just do friendlies" approach. First: you have to wait for the tournament to be over, and second, most people try to only do friendlies with those of equal or greater skill. I can always get as many friendlies as I want with people who are close to my level, but the really good players usually only want to play against each other (Gojira being the only exception that I've seen).

Besides, I tend to ask a lot of people to play friendlies, but newcomers seldom do. The guys from wyoming hung out for about an hour with free TV's and free people, until I offered to do some matches against them.

Besides, what's wrong with having a small number of pools when you have fewer people. The example I gave above (which is based on common attendance at biweeklies) wouldn't put people in as many matches as our full RR's do, but it saves people from paying for two games, then waiting around for a couple hours before they can do any more.
I cant be positive about other people, but if you ask us to play you most people aren't going to refuse.

lengeta

Smash Ace
Yeah, I tend to start watching other people play rather than ask around for friendlies, but if anyone asks me for friendlies I'll say "yes" unless I'm watching the finals or another close/good match.

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Probably out eating some dirt or something.
You know I think Takalth has a point, that was my first tourney and I was pretty bored when Lange and I were both out so I was glad to get some friendlies in because I came to play.

I think that a RR would be great because we all get to play more people and it makes it more interesting then waiting around with nothing to do. I like Takalth's whole RR>Single idea because that gives us games and it also lets us play other people that we don't know very well, then we still get a championship. Double elimination works for that too just, might take longer. Oh and if there's enough TVs then it won't be too long either. I'm sure I could bring a TV if we did that.

Takalth

Smash Ace
I'm sure I could bring a TV if we did that.
Bring a TV anyway if you can. Usually we have space for another, and at worst, it would allow more friendlies. I'm hoping to get my own TV soon specifically for that purpose if I can find one cheap enough.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Me and two other smashers from So. Utah will be up there during the 30th and 31st.

Because of this great significance, there WILL be a tournament. We can all bring Wiis if you need more systems.

I really want to do the standard double-elimination. Devin and I have improved a ton since our first tournament that we went to (UST9), and we want to see how well we do this time. The third guy isn't the most experienced, but we want him to get better. What better way to do so by exposing him to the tournament scene?

Aaaanyway, I'll see you all there in two weeks! Expect to kill me a tad slower this time around!

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
US2 without all the OOS will be at my house that weekend (but called Utah Smash Champ 2). Of course, there will be a bigger entry than $2, but not the $50. Anyone want it to be multi-day? Anyone want any special tournaments like low tier? ...crews XD ? ;) Btw, it would also be close enough to be Gojira's birthday tournament! ^_^

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Probably out eating some dirt or something.
US2 without all the OOS will be at my house that weekend (but called Utah Smash Champ 2). Of course, there will be a bigger entry than $2, but not the $50. Anyone want it to be multi-day? Anyone want any special tournaments like low tier? ...crews XD ? ;) Btw, it would also be close enough to be Gojira's birthday tournament! ^_^

Ok and that would be on the 31st is that right? Or sometime in April?
Anyways I'm sure I can bring a TV and Lange may be able to as well. Since I'm talking about TVs at the moment I might as well give you a funny fact, my grandma has a TV made before remotes were even invented that gives a picture as good as my 51" Flatscreen!

I'm all for the low tier competition (I main a low tier:chuckle: ) ANyways I hope to see a lot of you at the next biweekly.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Dude... I'd love a low tier tournament just once. Then again, I work on those days, so I can't come. :(

Gojira

Smash Lord
utah champ 2 rules er at least entry and bracket style

Double
5 per teamate
will be double elimination
Prize-60, 30, 10

low tier tourney
3 dollars
will be double elim
prize-1st-70, 2nd-30

Singles
5 per player
will be RR pools seeded into double elim
prize-1s-60 2nd-30 3rd-10

These events are to take place abd all of them will happen. lunch will be schedueled in between low tier and singles

And there is the tourney. Low tier doubles will take place if enough people are willing to do it.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
And that's all going to be on the 31st? Sounds amazing! Definately doing teams with Devin, where we will NOT be defeated by Samuses. Not sure if I'm going to do the low tier though... still haven't picked my low-tier main.

Being new to tournaments still though, I'm confused as to how RR pools seeded into double elimination works out. How many RR pools are there going to be in the first place-- and is it only those that get first place in the pools that get seeded into a double elimination bracket?

BattleChrist said:
I never end up going to the tournaments you do Xsyven.

Some time ill get to play you.
Don't worry about it. It'll be my third tournament, and I suck.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
So.. if I brought some rather green people to this tourney.. that'd be fine still, right? I dunno if there was some hidden rule that people who have never been to a tourney before can't come or something cuz this one is special.
On a side note, im 19! Birthday today....
Oh. Xsyven I can't wait to play/meet you, it'll be fun (mainly b/c I think you like smash almost, almost as much as I O.o) You'll pry kick my trash and I'll get incentive to visit you in st. george or something.
Anyway... I'm really excited about this weeks tourney, so, if you "cant make it", make it! Do whatever you have to....
And another aside: Falco is cheap!! But so fun to play..... I've played him like 5 times and just from watching chao//lengeta I can own with him. Seriously, I took two scrubs at the same time, with team attack OFF. Falco is just.. cheap.
Umm. yeah. Gnight guys.. it's way too late.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Lol if you lost to Layne's Falco just wait until you play mine :laugh: .

I'll bring my cube/tv to this one, only because I promised to bring it to the now canceled Ultimate Showdown.

C!Z

Smash Lord
So this tourney that everyone is talking about is gonna be on the 31st? Cuz Gojira posted all the info but not the tourney date... So Smash this Saturday and next Saturday? That'd be nice cuz I can't make this Saturdays but I'll be able to make the one on the 31st if that's when it's being held....

laozy

Smash Journeyman
who's up for a smashfest. its spring break and I've just been picking my nose. i'll play whenever. PM me if you want to hookup.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
RA I don't understand where "you lost to laynes falco" comes from. If you're talking to me, which I think you are, ive actually never lost to his falco. Granted, I should have, but this was like... the first tourney I went to, whenever that was. More evidence to maybe you werent talking to me is that I'm fairly certain that I have played your falco. In Idaho. 'Twasn't a tourney match, of course, but I think we did. So.. yeah. I'm confused and such.
Phil, I would totally play you... but you're like half an hour away and my twin brother is using my car b/c he has to drive to work. So.. yeah, no dice there. You could always come here :D

C!Z

Smash Lord
Sweet. I'll be able to make that which will be fun. Oh $h!t I just remembered that I was suppose to Samus Ditto you Phil... Oh well I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer to claim the Samus Champ Title! :chuckle:

Takalth

Smash Ace
Darn it, Laozy, why did you have to have spring break on my busiest week.

One of these days, I'll defeat your Samus.

C!Z

Smash Lord
You know what we need?! A STD FEST!!!! It'll never happen with all you little kids still living with your parents and what not but that $h!t would be fun as H3LL!! D@mn I feel like playin some Smash right bout meow!

Top Bottom