• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

lengeta

Smash Ace
I'm home. Jeyt took the full brackets and results from me, but it went something like this for singles:

1-PC
2-Chao
3-Phil
4-FtS
5-Junpei
5- Gojira

Fun tourny. I thought the singles brackets were HORRIBLE though, played Chao (2nd) then immediatly Phil (3rd), and it looked like a lot of the less seasoned players were up against one another as well. We need an official way to seed them. The tournament maker program has a good one already built in IMO; if you use the advance skill seeding, and can just place everyone where they are on our rankings list and it will seed accordingly and make very nice brackets. I definatly think we should be doing it that way. I 4-way tied for 9th, but I think I should be ranking in around the 7th & 5th 4-way tie.

FFA for teams was a good idea though. It's hard to mix it up with someone your not used to playing with though, so I might be dropping out of teams unless one of my crew is there. We'll see though, it's definatly worth the $2 even if we get pwnt.

I'm wondering how you guys are planning the entire ranking system too. I won Takalth, and lost to Chao and Phil, and according to the rankings that's how it should have worked out, so I shouldn't be moving too much. At the same time I took 9th, so I should probably be moving down (maybe not, I might be that low from missing many, many tournies lately), but I don't know what you other hosts are planning. How are the 2-0 and 2-1 matches going to play into the rankings? And how is playing lower/higher ranked players going to alter our 'points' or what-have-you as well? I just want to get our ranking thread up ASAP for no apparent reason.

I have one more idea too, and want you other hosts' opinions. We could create an account, for example the account name would be "Utah Smash" and have a password all the host know, then use that account to create the power ranking and tournament threads, that way any one of us can go in and edit things when they need to be. Good idea? Bad? I definatly still want to get my website up, but I just don't have time...

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
There were only 13 people in the bracket, so there wasn't much separating possible. Playing Phil so early was the result of Phil losing earlier in the bracket than expected. Blame Junpei :p We focused on the highest level players for seeding it, then some location based seeding. Also, I do know how to seed and where all the ranks go ;)

Power rankings will be based on a committee. Points are just to make it easier. I'd say let Gojira run the thread for it, since he's been doing all of the work so far setting it up, and it was his idea, etc.

lengeta

Smash Ace
Ew, re-reading what I said... I sound really whiney. I'm trying to be helpful, not annoying and *****y, sorry. I was under the impression that for power rankings things were getting switched to some sort of point system for some reason, probably because you guys started keeping track of the wins/losses. If everything is just sticking to a committee then seeding doesn't really matter anyway, probably better that way since I wouldn't normaly get to play Phil or Chao otherwise, lol.

So FtS beat Phil at Play n' Trade... but how did you guys do overall?

Gojira

Smash Lord
Ew, re-reading what I said... I sound really whiney. I'm trying to be helpful, not annoying and *****y, sorry. I was under the impression that for power rankings things were getting switched to some sort of point system for some reason, probably because you guys started keeping track of the wins/losses. If everything is just sticking to a committee then seeding doesn't really matter anyway, probably better that way since I wouldn't normaly get to play Phil or Chao otherwise, lol.

This tourney was seeded as best as possible considering how good the top 10 are getting and who was there

lengeta

Smash Ace
This tourney was seeded as best as possible considering how good the top 10 are getting and who was there
Yeah, it's way hard to seed for everyone. I'm just butt-hurt, that's all, especally since I played pretty good against both Laozy and Chao... and still lost. As far as ranking goes though, I think 1st and 2nd definatly belong to PC and Chao, but 3rd is tricky. FtS, Laozy, and Rafa are all so frikkin' close. FtS has been below them both at the last three (minus Rafa at today's), but I don't think they've shown enough to just put them higher than him. After that it gets extremely back and forth. Cdbobo, Jeyt, Gojira, Raging Asain, and me really really close too. There's also Gideon, Clentes, and Tsuteto right there as well, but I've been missing out lately and don't know everyone's skill as well.

Here's what I think:
1 - PC
2 - Chao
3-5 - Laozy/Rafa/FtS
6-9 - Jeyt/Gojira/Rage/CdBobo

I hit 7th and 9th at the last two, so maybe I make #10, but it's too close and I don't feel confident that I've earned that spot just yet. Next bi your all going down though, and 6th will be mine for keeps forever. Untill I go up even higher, I mean.

::EDIT:

JEYT!!!
Last time I saw my powerstrip it was around your neck! Tell me it's still there, and keep a hold of it so I can grab it next time I see ya.

laozy

Smash Journeyman
i got knocked to the losers bracket by a guy that is pretty good. i came back, beat him and fought nate in the finals. i needed 2 wins, and i only beat him once. all were close matches. this time we recruited a fair amount of people that seemed interested.

Gojira

Smash Lord
Yeah, it's way hard to seed for everyone. I'm just butt-hurt, that's all, especally since I played pretty good against both Laozy and Chao... and still lost. As far as ranking goes though, I think 1st and 2nd definatly belong to PC and Chao, but 3rd is tricky. FtS, Laozy, and Rafa are all so frikkin' close. FtS has been below them both at the last three (minus Rafa at today's), but I don't think they've shown enough to just put them higher than him. After that it gets extremely back and forth. Cdbobo, Jeyt, Gojira, Raging Asain, and me really really close too. There's also Gideon, Clentes, and Tsuteto right there as well, but I've been missing out lately and don't know everyone's skill as well.

Here's what I think:
1 - PC
2 - Chao
3-5 - Laozy/Rafa/FtS
6-9 - Jeyt/Gojira/Rage/CdBobo

I hit 7th and 9th at the last two, so maybe I make #10, but it's too close and I don't feel confident that I've earned that spot just yet. Next bi your all going down though, and 6th will be mine for keeps forever. Untill I go up even higher, I mean.

::EDIT:

JEYT!!!
Last time I saw my powerstrip it was around your neck! Tell me it's still there, and keep a hold of it so I can grab it next time I see ya.
From the event of this tourney here is the top ten.

PC
FTS
Rafa
Laozy
Gojira
Chao
Jeyt
Raging asian
CDBoBo
Layne

Next tourney will be seeded to have me play chao, if chao beats me and I dont come back to play him again in losers or finals, he will move up in my place.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Chao is a cursed man. If you play him in the winners bracket, you will play him in the losers bracket. >_<

laozy

Smash Journeyman
Starting from ust7 and up (not including neumount) and mainly during the biweeklies, here is my vote on the power ranking. and this time i put a lot of thought into it.
pc
chao
fts
rafa
laozy
gojira
jeyt
lengeta
ragingasian
cdbobo

if i do really good at the next biweekly, that should put me under chao. come on, i tore it up the last 2 biweeklies. if RA plays like he did at biweekly2 he should be above jeyt.

Takalth

Smash Ace
From the event of this tourney here is the top ten.

PC
FTS
Rafa
Laozy
Gojira
Chao
Jeyt
Raging asian
CDBoBo
Layne

Next tourney will be seeded to have me play chao, if chao beats me and I dont come back to play him again in losers or finals, he will move up in my place.

Putting Chao that low simply because he hasn't been to as many tournaments will just mean that one of the good players will get knocked into losers earlier than necessary. Hasn't he taken 2nd at every tournament he's been to?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
First tournament that Chao went to, he got 2nd, beating both Rafa-Son and FTS to do so.
Second tournament, he got 3rd, beating Rafa-son again, but losing to FTS in losers' finals.
Third tournament, he got 2nd, beating Rafa-Son and FTS (and maybe Laozy/Phil...can't remember).
Fourth tournament (this previous one), he got 2nd, beating FTS and Phil.

I don't think he should be that low in the rankings. He has one of the most consistent high placings in Utah, that should say something.

Here's what I think it should be...
1: Perfect Chaos
2: Rafa-Son & FoxTheStampede (this is WAY to close for me to differentiate)
4: Chao
5: Laozy
6: Gojira
7: Jeyt
8: RagingAsian

I'm not too familar with people after that, so I'm just stopping here.

laozy

Smash Journeyman
Dang it Phil, I guess I'll have to actually beat you next time, so you don't put me at the bottom of the RA/Leng/Jeyt/me pile ;)
the only reason i put you under them is because you've just started coming to the tournaments and no doubt you're doing good. if you managed to beat layne, jeyt, junpei or any of the high players at the next biweekly, without any hesitation you'll be up there. and if you beat me, you deserve my spot :) not you junpei because you smell

Gojira

Smash Lord
First tournament that Chao went to, he got 2nd, beating both Rafa-Son and FTS to do so.
Second tournament, he got 3rd, beating Rafa-son again, but losing to FTS in losers' finals.
Third tournament, he got 2nd, beating Rafa-Son and FTS (and maybe Laozy/Phil...can't remember).
Fourth tournament (this previous one), he got 2nd, beating FTS and Phil.

I don't think he should be that low in the rankings. He has one of the most consistent high placings in Utah, that should say something.

Here's what I think it should be...
1: Perfect Chaos
2: Rafa-Son & FoxTheStampede (this is WAY to close for me to differentiate)
4: Chao
5: Laozy
6: Gojira
7: Jeyt
8: RagingAsian

I'm not too familar with people after that, so I'm just stopping here.
I may have not been placing as well as chao, but chao has to beat me in tourney before he can actualy move that high. Wich is why we will meet in the next tourney. Rafa and FTS are RIGHT next to eachother on the rankings, but are basically even. this list will be the correct list if chao beats me at the next biweekly.

Jeyt

Smash Apprentice
Layne, I had no idea whose that was. I was gonna say something on the boards. BUT why didn't you just say it was yours, and yes I still have it. I'll bring it to next biweekly.

Wow, I kinda feel warm and fuzzy inside. Everyone is putting me in 7th place. Considering who is above me, I'm flattered. hehe. Not really, but you get the idea.

Takalth

Smash Ace
I may have not been placing as well as chao, but chao has to beat me in tourney before he can actualy move that high.
If you have to beat somebody to be above them, then Chao would be below me as well. I've been to more tournaments than he has, and he's never beaten me in a tournament (he won every friendly against me, but those don't count for power rankings).
So, unless you want to rank Chao around 12 or 13, I really don't think he should have to actually beat somebody to be above them if he has placed higher in every tournament.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I was just about to attack that same sentence, Takalth. Gojira, it's really illogical to say that Chao cannot move higher simply because he has not played you in tournament yet. Since you two have not competed against each other yet, tournament placings are the only thing you have to go off of. Power rankings aren't about moving higher or lower because "you earned it". It's about being between the two people closest to your skill level. So, while Chao may not have 'earned' his position by playing against you, his performance deems him worthy of that very slot.

lengeta

Smash Ace
To justify Gojira, I believe Chao hasn't made it to very many tournaments. I still believe he belongs in top four without a doubt though. And yeah, you can't be required to beat certain people to move up, even if your doing round-robbins. I beat Jeyt at the last RR, but he still whomped me overall. It would be interesting to have 'challenge battles' or something though, like playing the person above you in several matches to try and overtake them on the rankings. I wonder if we want a more concrete list, or a list that's easier to climb and fall.

laozy

Smash Journeyman
thats a very good idea layne. by having a series of sets between one another, we can determine where that person should be seeded. i think it'll create a more concrete/accurate power ranking. from that list, power ranking should be updated with every biweekly.

Gojira

Smash Lord
If you have to beat somebody to be above them, then Chao would be below me as well. I've been to more tournaments than he has, and he's never beaten me in a tournament (he won every friendly against me, but those don't count for power rankings).
So, unless you want to rank Chao around 12 or 13, I really don't think he should have to actually beat somebody to be above them if he has placed higher in every tournament.
Power rankings are how well you PLACE and WHO you beat. Chao has met that pretty well so far, he only has me left to be 5th best.

Chao needs to beat me because I have been placing top 5 for a while (minus this tourney) and it would only make sense if he beat me before moving above me because we have never met in tourney and when we meet It will be a good and close set, I know it will. Chao has proven himself so far by beating many of the ebst and he is rising on the rankings fast, but he has yet to beat all of the top me. Laozy has beaten me many times in tourney thus he moved above me. If chao beats me in the next biweekly he will go above me playing and simple.

I will post the Power rankings thread soon. Chaos posistion is solid and he is highly improving as he moves up the ranks.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
the only reason i put you under them is because you've just started coming to the tournaments and no doubt you're doing good. if you managed to beat layne, jeyt, junpei or any of the high players at the next biweekly, without any hesitation you'll be up there. and if you beat me, you deserve my spot :) not you junpei because you smell
Lol come on Phil! I know you let me win at the last biweekly but if it happens again you can't use that excuse for a while.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
everybody ban rainbow cruise against junpei. he cheats worst than the time perfect chaos counter picked onett against me. :)
When someone says to not do something, and it's probably wise to do so, I'm tempted....

Junpappy

Smash Lord
everybody ban rainbow cruise against junpei. he cheats worst than the time perfect chaos counter picked onett against me. :)
....what are you doing!!!?

Oh well. I'll just learn to play on Mute City and then problem solved.

Takalth

Smash Ace
If anybody's interested, I got an Action Replay yesterday. I haven't found my way into the place where you can analyze hitboxes or analyze frame by frame (though I did manage to make the game freeze when I tried to play giga-bowser against master hand and a wireframe). Anyway, I'll bring it to the next bi-weekly if I can make it.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
You should bring that action replay and use it during tournament play. Only use it on Fox and Sheik though :laugh:

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
St. George is having a tournament this weekend.

Just in case any of you are stupid enough to travel down here, just thought I'd stop by.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Yeah, I noticed. ><

It was more of a "Hopefully, someone might be in St. George this weekend for some reason" post.

lengeta

Smash Ace
I just thought I'd bump this thread to mention there's a possiblity of us carpooling to a couple EVO tournaments. The first is in LA in June. It's right after Comic-con, an even I may be attending with Snafu Dave, so I don't know how this one will boil down. Getting to the EVO Vegas finals though, that's going a very good bet, I'll probably take my van down to that one, so we'll probably have room for 7 people total. I'll keep everyone posted on how thinks look with me heading to either.

** edit: URL fixed **

Top Bottom