• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I also agree with the not so high entry fees. I think we should just do like a 5 dollar crew battle tourney with a 5 dollar doubles tourney afterwards.

lengeta

Smash Ace
I'd love to get a 4-man crew from my peepz, but with the four I'd bring would be tough because of their sceduals. If this does ever phase in I'll try and get one to come though. Falco, Luigi, Marth, and Shiek... that's some good diversity right thar.

Takalth

Smash Ace
I think 10 is fine if their are no singles or doubles its about the same as if you had to pay for both of them anyway.
It's the same price, but you spend less time playing. I wouldn't even bother going to a crew-battle-only tournament, and I wouldn't join for 10 bucks, but if I was already there for another event, I might spend a few dollars and just join with whoever for fun.

At 10 dollars, I doubt you'd get more than 4 crews in a high attendance tournament, which means that third place would lose money for joining, second place would go just above even, and only first place would actually come out making a decent amount.

At 5 dollars, I would predict 5-7 crews (assuming a high-attendance tournament). Having done the math, at 6 crews spending 5 dollars per person, each member of the 1st place team would make $1 less than 4 crews at $10 after their entry fee was taken into account. Second place would come out much better, and third place, though still at a loss, wouldn't be at a very large one.

The fact is, crew battle tournaments just aren't very profitable, since you have to split the money so may ways. Let's set a price high enough to lure Idaho to come, but low enough to not to drive any Utah people away. Even with an entry fee, it will mostly be just for fun, unless somebody figures out a way to get about 50 people to one of our tournaments.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I didn't mean to imply that I wanted to do crew battles in friendlies only. I just want a relatively low entry ($5 sounds good) so that more people enter and it'd be more fun. And like Takalth said, it'd probably be better packaged with another event. However, since crew battles operate in a singles-like fashion, I'd say remove singles and just keep doubles.

By the way, I think my place would be good considering all the open space I have. It's not quite FTS-calibur, but I think it'd be ideal for a crew battle tournament considering I don't have much clutter anywhere. I'll look into hosting one later this year when there isn't so much snow. We realize Idaho cannot generate the same population of smashers like Utah can, but perhaps I can entice you all to return by adding food to the Brown Lodge deal. ;)

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
i would imagine you would know this nate. Is link not a character you can use in low tier tournaments now cuz he's not on the lists of playable characters.

Takalth

Smash Ace
Here's a thought. We could do an oddball tournament. First event: crew battle, second event: Low-tier. I don't think Utah has done a low-tier at all (at least since I joined.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I would freakin' **** in a low-tier tournament.

Takalth

Smash Ace
Low tier wouldn't attract people any more than the crew battle would.
It wouldn't attract more people, but it would attract different people. FTS, for example, won't be attracted by a low tier, but I would. On the other hand, a crew battle isn't that apealing to me, but FTS would probably go. Hold both events, and you might get us both there. Many people who came to one would be willing to sign up for the other, since they would already be present.

Personally, I think a low-tier would be awesome for variety. I could use Kirby without consigning myself to an instant-lose, and instead of fighting hordes of Foxes, Samuses, and Sheiks (with the occasional C. Falcon or Doc) I would get to fight characters I rarely get to challenge.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
It wouldn't attract more people, but it would attract different people. FTS, for example, won't be attracted by a low tier, but I would. On the other hand, a crew battle isn't that apealing to me, but FTS would probably go. Hold both events, and you might get us both there. Many people who came to one would be willing to sign up for the other, since they would already be present.

Personally, I think a low-tier would be awesome for variety. I could use Kirby without consigning myself to an instant-lose, and instead of fighting hordes of Foxes, Samuses, and Sheiks (with the occasional C. Falcon or Doc) I would get to fight characters I rarely get to challenge.
While I'm actually in favor of a low tier event, when one of the main hosts is completely indifferent towards it, it would be hard to work it in, especially considering that we have a series of biweeklies that will last until USUD2.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Oo so after school today I had my friend come over and play smash w/ me. He's actually quite good O.o. killed me at 0% a couple times, when i was more or less trying, actually... dumb kirby. Thats the thing though, he mains kirby.... I'll see if I can't get him involved here on smashboards, and to the biweeklies :)

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
So, I might becoming up on the 2nd-4th. If so, we must smash.

I'm pretty sure it's an off week for bi-weeklies, but that doesn't mean we can't just have a friendly smashtastic event somewhere, no?

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Truly. I'm all up for a smashfest on that day.. that would make it, what, 4 saturdays in a row? Sweetness :D. May as well call em weeklies ^.^.

Takalth

Smash Ace
So, I might becoming up on the 2nd-4th. If so, we must smash.

I'm pretty sure it's an off week for bi-weeklies, but that doesn't mean we can't just have a friendly smashtastic event somewhere, no?
That Friday will be week 3 of the Neumont League. The official games are crew battles between high schools, but more time is spent playing friendlies than anything. While it isn't an open smashfest, they wouldn't mind if I brought a couple people along who weren't part of one of the high school teams.

The league lasts from 5 P.M. to 9 P.M, but I'd be open to smash afterward or on Saturday. I can't host a major fest, but I can have a few people over, just in case we aren't able to do a larger event, then.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
"Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know about an upcoming tournament this week. It's at the new Play n' Trade location in Orem. I'll get you some more specifics later, but it starts at 6:00 pm on Thursday. Oh, and the first place winner of the last Play n' Trade tournament in SLC will be there, so I hear."
I'm in a smash group on facebook and the leader or w/e sent me this. I replied and asked where the Play n' Trade place was; is anyone interested in going to this? I am :p. but maybe you guys know more about it... is it somewhat like the anime convention or something?

lengeta

Smash Ace
****, I work during the Play n' Trade tourny. It's right next the FYE, ToysR'Us, Bajio Grill, on University Parkway.

Xsyven, I work until 4:30pm on Friday, but after that and all day Saturday I should be free. Don't know if I'm scedualed for that Sunday yet. If noting's going down we should definatly Smash. My place is small, but free for plays.

Going back up into the thread now... I think it's weird getting a group together and not doing a standard 1v1 tourny, but meh. Both a crew and low-teir would be fun to try, see how good my shoddy Roy can do.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
"Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know about an upcoming tournament this week. It's at the new Play n' Trade location in Orem. I'll get you some more specifics later, but it starts at 6:00 pm on Thursday. Oh, and the first place winner of the last Play n' Trade tournament in SLC will be there, so I hear."
I'm in a smash group on facebook and the leader or w/e sent me this. I replied and asked where the Play n' Trade place was; is anyone interested in going to this? I am :p. but maybe you guys know more about it... is it somewhat like the anime convention or something?
I was actually planning on going to that one but I thought it was in Draper. Anyways most of the players from the last tournament were scrubs anyways so there won't be a whole lot of competition.

laozy

Smash Journeyman
well i'm against having a low tier tourney simply because i dont have anyone to use. but if thats what you guys want...go for it. i think we should have the standard 2v2 and 1v1 so i beat pc....i'm serious

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Okay, updated info (just talked to the store owner):
6:00 this Thursday, Jan. 25th
Free(!) to enter
Prizes: 1rst: $25 in store credit
2nd: $15 in store credit
3rd: $10 in store credit
Also, Free pizza and possibly soda or cookies
Rules:
All matches will be on final destination, with no items
1vs1
Double elimination
Only one stock (to speed things up, he has 60 or so people signed up so far; signing up discussed below)
Final round will be Three (3) stock
All characters unlocked, of course

Signing up: Only way I know of is, call 801.655.2242, and tell him your name and phone #; the phone # thing is pry optional, he just wants an idea of how many people are going to be there, so he can get pizza accordingly.
Nate I already told him you might come, so you're on the list; also said I'd bring 3 or 4 friends, but that's not you guys, it's from BYU (prolly those two that were at the tourney and two [or more, really] other friends)

So.. yeah! Come guys, it's going to be awesome!!

Takalth

Smash Ace
Anybody who goes should recruit for the bi-weekly and/or try to get people onto Smashboards. Just have a short conversation with everyone you play:

"Do you go to tournaments very often?"
"No."
"Do you want to come to one on Saturday?"

With 60 people signed up, we at least ought to be able to get a couple.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
Anybody who goes should recruit for the bi-weekly and/or try to get people onto Smashboards. Just have a short conversation with everyone you play:

"Do you go to tournaments very often?"
"No."
"Do you want to come to one on Saturday?"

With 60 people signed up, we at least ought to be able to get a couple.
But of course! New recruits are worth more than $25 anyway XD

lengeta

Smash Ace
Bah... of all the days to work...

It IS right by my place though, so I'll see if I can pop in for a half hour on my break. Good luck beatin' and recruitin' to everyone attending.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
*throws hands in the air*

Why am I always not available for the free stuff...

And I still want to beat my record of eight sodas after the first tourney.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Congrats on your win Phil! And thanks for showing up KC. Not you FtS, you knocked me and my twin out :). Naw, I'm glad you came, it was cool. So I think I got 3 people who will definitely be checking out these boards, and another who might. Also, two of my friends may be interested (two additional friends :)) So... yeah.
I need to practice more against fox and falco... those were my losses. That kid from SLC... he just wasn't that good, I just kept running into his attacks, and then my loss to FtS was justified, o' course. Got him to what, 48%? :). which, If I was awesome at chain grabbing, would = a dead fox O.o But, anyway.
The one stock thing was kind of dumb. But if you think about it, bumping it up to even as much as 2 stock would have doubled the length of the tourney, from 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours... So all in all i think it was a good decision. FD with no items, and 1vs1... not bad :). I'll keep lookin at playntrade and try and let you guys know of any upcoming tourneys.

KC, Laozy, and FtS; did you guys recruit anyone...?

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
Other than being completely unprepared for the turnout they got, despite having a reasonably accurate pre-registration count, the tournament was very well-run. They had other options to keep the duration down with that many people. Better than limiting it to 1 stock, best of 1. Only using 4 of their 6+ TVs didn't help at all. A 65+ person tournament should be expected to run several hours at the very least anyway. 1.5 hours isn't enough no matter how you try to fix it.

Who's with me in boycotting ALL GameCrazy's, in both tournaments and sales? Play n Trade is infinitely better. Just look at their ruleset and compare it to both anime conventions and their Wii tournament :p Decent tournament? Or all of Utah's worst tournaments ever?

I didn't get to recruit very many people. Most weren't very happy about never even touching me before losing....

laozy

Smash Journeyman
i talked to 3 people and they seem interested....most people however were mad at me for beating them. so idontknow. the tournament was fun. i'll probably go to the biweekly for the first half then i have to leave around 4:30.
Yeah BOYCOTT GAMECRAZY!!!!!!

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
You should record some matches with Xsyven so i can see him play cuz I've never seen him play
I've only gone to two tournaments, and friendlied once with Nate and Zach. So I'm not that great yet. I'm the only other Fox main. >>

I'll record a video tomorrow, and post it in hurr. Get ready to fall asleep. :p

lengeta

Smash Ace
I've always hated Game Crazy anyway, you can't expect ignorent people to host a deicent tourny. I loved Trade n' Play though, they even had wiimotes in thus making it infinitely better than my place of employment. I'll probably try making future tournaments of theirs even if it isn't Smash.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
i talked to 3 people and they seem interested....most people however were mad at me for beating them. so idontknow. the tournament was fun. i'll probably go to the biweekly for the first half then i have to leave around 4:30.
Yeah BOYCOTT GAMECRAZY!!!!!!
Why are you leaving at 4:30? The tournament is at 6:00 and it's less than a half hour's drive from Jeyt's house.

Top Bottom