• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

lengeta

Smash Ace
Yeah, I've been at work all day, sent you (Cdbobo) off a PM just a bit ago...

We'll be arriving late, around 3:00, but I'll have a van-load, a TV, and Cube/Smash, so don't start singles 'till we get there! And curse these 'power rankings,' they're making me insecure. I take it that either FtS or Gojira have contacted the administrators about creating the ranking thead, but if not let's get on in.

Gojira

Smash Lord
*Mwahahaha... feel the might of BYU*
So its me +2 for sure, +another 1 maybe, and there's someone who is interested. However, Lengeta's van will be full if that maybe turns out to be a yes, I think, if it seats 6 ppl... so I'm not going to invite that last guy I suppose. Almost all the people I'm bringing with are smash noobs, though... try not to completely destroy them guys ;). Yeah so I PM'ed Lengeta about the room thing, hopefully he can magistically summon another seat. Although, now that I think of it, if theres a driver, passenger, 2 seater, 3 seater, thats totally 7... if it's 3 and 3 it's 8. So I suppose I can go ahead and invite him, can't I... ^.^ Sweetness. Lol... I look forward to being royally PWNED by you guys... I saw your vids from last year, and if you haven't improved ima beat ya. But in the quite likely event that you have...... It's fun being owned :D
What vids form last year?

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I'll be heading up as well. Depends on the whether for the vehicle I will take, but I'll be up there ^^

I may be arriving around 2-3ish. I have to stop by somewhere along the way for "business matters" first... if a manager gets in.

Jeyt

Smash Apprentice
It's fun being owned :D
At least you positive about it. hehe. Just kidding. I get owned too.

And dealing with those matches against hugs...
First- I dropped Falco, so don't get your hopes up on that.
Second- I was HORRIBLE with falco. Really. I sucked.
Third- Thought this has less relevance... That was my first month as a competitive player.

See you there... ;)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Dude, HugS is like 8th seed right now. He is untouchable.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I beat HugS. It was an awesome dream.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Yay for first bi-weekly being complete! Words here on the main board: It was fun overall. Not planned too well in form of who needs to fight who, but the fact that it was "free reign" was nice.

@ Jeyt: Thanks for the advice. I may get a "little" more into smash... but right now I can't do too much with it. School, extra curricular activities, and DDR/GH/whatever-other-rhythm-gaming are a higher priority for me ^^

Takalth

Smash Ace
No school Monday, and I'm craving Smash since I wasn't able to make the first bi-weekly. Would anybody be interested in a small fest?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Just wondering if Gojira will ever upload those vids.

laozy

Smash Journeyman
oos to idaho

okay...idaho is having a tournament on the 20th this saturday. i might go but i would like it if some utahns would join me. its only a 3 hr drive and i can probably pick people up on the way. first we need a reliable car and a little contribution to gas which isn't that much. its time to repay idaho for all the tournaments they have came to.

Gojira

Smash Lord
okay...idaho is having a tournament on the 20th this saturday. i might go but i would like it if some utahns would join me. its only a 3 hr drive and i can probably pick people up on the way. first we need a reliable car and a little contribution to gas which isn't that much. its time to repay idaho for all the tournaments they have came to.
I can go if they are ok with me coming

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
As we said earlier or at least i said im fine with anyone going to a tournament at my house i will not however be able to house anyone but everyone is welcome to come to this.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
See the IF tourney thread for more housing possibilities. ^_^

lengeta

Smash Ace
For the time being, looks like lengeta(that's me)'s van is the pool. Details are still really sketchy, so jump into that tournie's thread (link), or PM me if you're wanting a rid up. No heater, and about $5-10 for gas, and we might be leaving Friday night rather than early Saturday if we can land some housing.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... I'm torn :|. I really love tournaments, mainly cuz it's hour upon hour of smashing :D, but the whole 3 hour thing...... hmmmm... Let's see if I can put it into perspective. It would basically be like me driving to Des Moines back when I lived in Iowa... and that wasn't really that bad.
*thinks*.
Fine! I'll do it! Want me to see if I can bring some friends? There are still (an additional) 2 people who may be interested... what with the 3 hour drive though, I doubt they'll want to come. But, hey, maybe.. I'll go ahead and invite them. Sound good, lengeta? PM me or somethin w/ how much extra room you're going to have, and if that will reduce the gas cost or w/e.
Oh, and, what was the link to that Idaho tourney page? Gotta lookup entry fees/whatnot.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Psh-- you'll go to Idaho, but you won't even visit YOUR OWN STATE!

...even though Idaho has a bigger smash scene than So. Utah.

And now that I think of it... that's a very sad thing.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
Well with the amount of tourneys we have beenh to it like they owe us and to those that made it to this does this mean that we are cool now and yamer and i can come to future tournaments in utah including utah biweeklies?

Gojira

Smash Lord
Well with the amount of tourneys we have beenh to it like they owe us and to those that made it to this does this mean that we are cool now and yamer and i can come to future tournaments in utah including utah biweeklies?
Mike and you are welcome, things seem to be ok. Howeve be careful what you say to local utah smashers. Speaking of which, are you guys able to come to next weekends NU league followed by the lol next utah biweekly.....

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Yay for more people to fight! And thus, more things to experience!

FTS knows what I'll do if people start throwing **** up in the air though. Honestly, save the lame-*** insults or whatever for national tournaments. Personally they shouldn't happen at all, but if you're going to use them, THAT is the time. Not at a friendly environment.

Sucks I can't go to this bi-weekly though. I'll be in SLC for Thespian Conference XD

Maybe the next one though... depends. February 3rd is a DDR tourney, and I plan on going to that moreso, so I'm not sure how willing my parents are to letting me drive up another week after if it's up within Sandy... again...

Takalth

Smash Ace
Psh-- you'll go to Idaho, but you won't even visit YOUR OWN STATE!

...even though Idaho has a bigger smash scene than So. Utah.

And now that I think of it... that's a very sad thing.
The Neumont league showed quite a few smashers who are interested in competitive play but have never heard of Smashboards. I was pleased at how many seemed interested in coming to tournaments and other events. If Southern Utah is the same at all, you might be able to create a decent community down there. Host a tournament, put fliers up everywhere that fliers are legal, and I wouldn't be surprised if you got a dozen people or even more.
Even if you only got a couple people, it's still people to smash with or to share the cost of carpooling to Northern Utah or AZ. I've always really enjoyed having Idaho come down, and I think it would be really cool to have a Southern Utah group coming up as well.

Anyway, I'm just suggesting what I will do if I end up moving somewhere that lacks a Smashboards group.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Let's host a tournament of only crew battles: groups of four. No singles. No doubles unless time permits. Then I'd be motivated to travel once again. As it stands right now, it's much harder to travel as a married smasher. I'm not skilled enough to be traveling as often as I used to. Host a crew battle tournament, and I'll see about visiting Utah once again. :D

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
I'm totally up for that Buzz. That was my only disappointment at the ID tourney, that we didnt have a crew battle. Doubles are fun too, so I like how you want to have them if time permits :). Yay for crew battles... should we here in UT (since there are tons and tons and tons of us ;)) have like 2 crews of 4 then?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Let's host a tournament of only crew battles: groups of four. No singles. No doubles unless time permits. Then I'd be motivated to travel once again. As it stands right now, it's much harder to travel as a married smasher. I'm not skilled enough to be traveling as often as I used to. Host a crew battle tournament, and I'll see about visiting Utah once again. :D
O.o I like that idea! But if we do that, then the entry has to be at least $10 per person ($40 per crew), or the prize payout will be very small (considering there'll only be about 4-6 crews, and the winnings is split among the team members).
Lets say 6 teams at $10 per person. That'll be $240 in the pot. If it's 60/30/10%, then first'll get $144 ($36 per team member), second with $72 ($18/person), and third with $24 ($6/person). That's decent...I guess...
And with only about 6 teams, round robin will be perfect...
I'll talk to my crew members to see if they like this idea...and maybe we'll even try to put the thing together. :chuckle:

Takalth

Smash Ace
No reason not to have other events at the crew battles tournament. As far as I know, Utah hasn't done a full tournament of crews (though the last week of the Neumont league will do that). Just schedule a few more hours for the tournament and add other events in, as well.

In fact, that would give you more crews. Some of us (me included) are really not good enough for people to want us on their crew, but if we were there anyway, we might join just for fun (though maybe not for $10).

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
hmm, so like crew battle friendlies? That's a good idea, cuz then even those of us who arent all that great still get to experience a crew battle and have some fun :)

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I understand the logic behind having higher entry fees, but I'm with Takalth on this. I don't think I could afford a $10 entry for a crew battle. I'd rather just have it more for fun as to include more people. Also, this would allow much more team spirit since everyone depends on friends rather than strictly their own abilities. I love seeing people cheering for other people. Heck, I like cheering myself! This would better unite the smash community, and we'd have more fun in the process. Thoughts?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Well, one of the main reasons that I wanted a higher entry is so if you guys come down from Idaho, you can use the winnings to help pay your gas money (because chances are, if Yamer, BC, and Buzz are in the same crew, you'll definitely get into the top 3...even more so if there's only 6 teams).
Also, if it's more of a friendly crew battle situation (and not an actual organized event), then there'll probably be less people/crew that'll come. That would make you guys from Idaho even less likely to come...right (would you guys bother to come for Crew FRIENDLIES with only like 2 other teams present)?

Top Bottom