• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UST 15 (Utah Melee Tournament - June)

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
Well, I do have quite the footage now, 5 minutes left for recording on an 8 GB card is a lot, plus I still have to get 3 other vids up from ToF 8. This might be a bit of work, but it'll definitely be up, and the giant mega block of friendlies is going to be last, because slicing vids can take longer than uploading them.

Your Bowser was doing some pretty nice work, I'd love to see him **** some peeps (but my Ness will run away from him XD).

Also, I rigged the mic wrong, so it didn't do a thing.

BTW, for anyone who is interested, I will be keeping the originals so a high quality combo/highlight vid for anyone is possible.
I can wait to see all of the videos. I have been wanting to make a combo for a while and this will give me a head start. Thanks for recording matches for us Nul. :D

☆_Mutha-Foxin GangstaKirby_☆

Banned via Warnings
waiting for mars to hurry up with that **** blunt
Well, I do have quite the footage now, 5 minutes left for recording on an 8 GB card is a lot, plus I still have to get 3 other vids up from ToF 8. This might be a bit of work, but it'll definitely be up, and the giant mega block of friendlies is going to be last, because slicing vids can take longer than uploading them.

Your Bowser was doing some pretty nice work, I'd love to see him **** some peeps (but my Ness will run away from him XD).

Also, I rigged the mic wrong, so it didn't do a thing.

BTW, for anyone who is interested, I will be keeping the originals so a high quality combo/highlight vid for anyone is possible.
epic friendlies lol

xD

X is the ultimate team mate, he's sooo good he beats everyone even his own teammate XDDDD

Gojira

Smash Lord
Serious Question!

How many here actualy ENJOY Super smash bros brawl? How many of you wake up tournament mornings excited to play Brawl? For those who fit the above description, how do you enjoy Brawl after 2-3 matches? The game is shallow and random with almost ZERO combo ability. How is that fun? Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe is sadly like Marvel vs Capcom 2: New age of heros compared to brawl.

So again...I ask...why?

DZLE

Smash Master
How many here actualy ENJOY Super smash bros brawl? How many of you wake up tournament mornings excited to play Brawl? For those who fit the above description, how do you enjoy Brawl after 2-3 matches? The game is shallow and random with almost ZERO combo ability. How is that fun? Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe is sadly like Marvel vs Capcom 2: New age of heros compared to brawl.

So again...I ask...why?
Gojira, I was driving down town and passed some Venue and one of the people playing there was "Gojira"
and on the board it just said "Gojira"
I was gonna take a pic.

But, this is my two cents.
Yes, I wake up excited to play Brawl with all my friends.
Excited to play brawl in tourney? Hell no. Although I would like to get to that point.
Brawl is just a really fun game to play with your friends. I want to keep getting better at it for sure.
But, I have stated it before and I think I will always say it. I love Melee more. Its like... Melee is a delicious Deli sandwich. Brawl is a sandwich you make at midnight from your home just cause your hungry and want something to fill your stomach.
Thats how it is for me anyway.

I will continue to (try and) get better at brawl, and hopefully I get somewhere with it.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Coming from someone who views all THREE Smash games as fun, challenging, and enjoyable on every level, I'm still having a hard time understand...WHY people are having this discussion still. I mean, I don't come up to you asking "Why do you like Melee? Unlike Smash 64, the balance is off, throws are horrible, and the simplicity factor...there is none! Smash 64 is better!"

We all have our definition of fun. I enjoy all three games, but on a different level. If you don't like the game, then shut up and don't ruin our fun, cause we won't stop enjoying the games. We like it, you don't have to play it, DEAL WITH IT!

~Glory to the Hypno-Toad

Gojira

Smash Lord
Coming from someone who views all THREE Smash games as fun, challenging, and enjoyable on every level, I'm still having a hard time understand...WHY people are having this discussion still. I mean, I don't come up to you asking "Why do you like Melee? Unlike Smash 64, the balance is off, throws are horrible, and the simplicity factor...there is none! Smash 64 is better!"

We all have our definition of fun. I enjoy all three games, but on a different level. If you don't like the game, then shut up and don't ruin our fun, cause we won't stop enjoying the games. We like it, you don't have to play it, DEAL WITH IT!

~Glory to the Hypno-Toad
It's obvious I dont like brawl. My opinion towards the crappy game is not what I am wanting to discuss. I just want to know why people still play this shallow game. Your attitude of "if you dont like the game deal with it" comes to me as negative. My question was simple, "Why do people still play the game "You could of easily said "Because I enjoy it"

Gojira

Smash Lord
Just like how this comes off as negative? He had all rights to say that when you're the one acting like this.
LOL acting like what? Yeah I said the game is crappy and shallow, those are my opinions. The people who like the game should like it for their own reasons and ignore the remarks I make about it and express their opinions rather then getting an attitude towards me.

P.S. Thanks for your opinion DZLE.

philbobjoe

Smash Journeyman

~Glory to the Hypno-Toad
Uhm... I like all three as well, but could you at least use true facts.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
We should all play StarCraft as it requires way more skill than all 3 smash games combined. Not everyone enjoys the game that requires the most skill, and not everyone is willing to put forth the effort it takes to attain that skill.

SC tourney next UST!!!

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I still like Brawl as a party game, but as for competitive Brawl, that's not for me. Brawl feels more like "the clash of the Nintendo all stars" due to more franchise representation (both character-wise and stage-wise), as well as certain new things made possible due to the new physics engine. But I like how Melee is faster paced with combos that aren't "auto-combos". Maybe that's why I like Brawl+ so much, as it includes the good parts of every game. Brawl+ still needs more modifications, though, as Melee is still a good amount deeper; but given time, people will eventually add more to it. And I like how they're actually trying to balance the game, something Smash has been lacking due to the absence of constant official game patches.

But, Zack, there was really no reason to bring up the subject that you did, nor through the way that you did it, other than to show troll-like behavior.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
I mean, I don't come up to you asking "Why do you like Melee?
Why not? You would probably know more about the game if you did. Don't be afraid to ask questions. It's a great way to learn.
Unlike Smash 64, the balance is off, throws are horrible, and the simplicity factor...there is none! Smash 64 is better!"
These are either wrong or I have no idea what you mean.

Date for UST 14 will be May 23

Dai-A

Smash Journeyman
Lol Actually brawl isnt as easy as it looks. Even though its easier to play out of all the smash games. You still have to have your own mindgames to hit your opponent since there is no combos. Plus you live forever and can still get gimped like crazy. It might be harder but its still possible, and with certain mindgames you actually can combo. Its just a lot harder.

inb4melee though <3

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
It's obvious I dont like brawl. My opinion towards the crappy game is not what I am wanting to discuss. I just want to know why people still play this shallow game. Your attitude of "if you dont like the game deal with it" comes to me as negative. My question was simple, "Why do people still play the game "You could of easily said "Because I enjoy it"
Huge rant ahead. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I gotta get this off my chest.

That's actually what I said. I enjoy the game. I enjoy all three games! But I said it in a negative fashion because the way you asked the question, in turn, felt it was imposed in a negative way.

I'm just sick of people who keep trying this. I play a game because it is fun. Not because it has depth, or has a s*** load of extra stuff more than another game, or special tricks you can achieve. I play it because it is fun. And the problem is that people like you impose this idea that a game is lesser than most just because of a certain aspect, when it is NOT! I'm all about letting people favor a game over others, but when they try to impose that a GREAT game isn't all that great to them, and then try to enforce this idea on everyone just because they don't like it is a huge douchebag move. I don't go up to everybody who thinks Link to the Past or Zelda 2 is the best game in the series when I think Ocarina is, and try to force my opinion down their throats. I let them think that because it's their opinion, and not mine.

I mean, this was one of the reasons why I hated Melee so much. Everybody was cramming their opinion of the game down my throat, and in turn, it made the game less appealing. It wasn't until everybody stopped doing that when I realized how much fun Melee could be, and now I play Melee at every tourney. Why? I found the appeal in it, just like I found the appeal in Smash 64, just like I found the appeal in Brawl.

So if you want me to answer in what you consider a non-negative way, then here's my answer. YES! I love Brawl! It's a fun game to play! I enjoy every second of playing it! And even if I was a part of the Melee scene before Brawl came out, I would still enjoy every f***ing second of it!

All I ask is to PLEASE not cram your ideals down our throat. Let us decide which game is better. I respect that you think Melee is a better game, I do! But it makes it less enjoyable when you do things like this...

I really don't want to argue this case any more than this. But it's tiring when people have been doing this since day 1. To me, Brawl is a fun game, and Melee is a fun game. And you can play the games or don't, it's your preferences. But it's stupid to try and ruin a game that we find fun anway.

I just had to get this off my chest. Gojira, you are an amazing Bowser, and you should keep honing your skills in Melee, cause that's what you're best at. Obviously you said you never play Brawl, and I'm not going to force you to, cause I know it's not the right thing to do. I hope you see why I had to say what I had to say, and maybe next time we see each other, we can do some Bowser matches, cause I would really like to man.

SC tourney next UST!!!
I second this.

Why not? You would probably know more about the game if you did. Don't be afraid to ask questions. It's a great way to learn.
I really meant that to mean I perfered Smash 64 over Melee, but I don't go around telling people why they should prefer it like I do.

Cause my preferences are Smash 64>Brawl>Melee (although the margins of > are really small, like .000001 cause I like them almost equally), due to my opinion that Smash 64 has the best balance between simplicity and advanced techniques. Then again, it could be nostalgia, that it was one of the first games I ever owned, that it set me into the worlds of Pokemon, Metroid, and Legend of Zelda. I dunno, but that's how I view my list.

Although, I never ask questions. I really should, seeing as how, apparently by your comments, I know very little about each game.

Uhm... I like all three as well, but could you at least use true facts.
These are either wrong or I have no idea what you mean.
I was typing fast so I wouldn't be late for work. I might of skimped on a few details. I meant that with such a low cast of charcters, the balance of the game seemed more great than Melee, but then again the amount of characters is low. Also, a greater emphasis (to me at least) on throws seemed more apparent in 64 than Melee. Then again, I could be wrong. I'm still new to Melee. And by simplicity, there were not as many advanced and simple techniques as there were in Melee. Spot-dodging, wavedashing, all that stuff is new in Melee, whereas really Smash 64 has just L-Canceling...(it may have more, I know that, but that's sort of the jist of it, really)

It's hard to come up with facts when I didn't have time, or didn't know too much about both games to come up, but I really haven't followed Smash too much until I joined the scene, and I'm still learning. I'll have to do what FTS says and ask questions (being raised as a know-it-all, questioning never comes into play, you just feel like you know everything...it's a curse)

I love everybody here, no homo!

Ugh, do I feel the strongest urge most of you will yell at me...well, no regrets. I don't regret anything I say. I stand up for what I say!

~Glory to the Hypno-Toad

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
Yup, throws are very important in Melee. Smash64 had throws for killing, while Melee has throws for combos. I remember several matchups being considered as "first grab wins." Examples would be Fox vs Marth, Sheik vs Sheik, and Marth vs CFalcon. It's first grab wins because both of the characters have potential combos of death that start with a grab. Every character has at least one Bread n Butter combo starting with one of their throws, even Ganon and Bowser.

Unfortunately, there's only a couple people here with the hardware and software to play Smash64. Smash64 is probably more balanced than Melee overall, but only characters in the tourney viable tiers should be considered for balance/variety.

Feel free to ask more experienced players about their game; they love it when you do that. That goes for everyone :)

Also, I'm going to make UST 14 be Melee 2v2, Melee 1v1, SF4. Seems like a perfect time for this.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I think that's what I was going for. Throws seemed more important to me in Smash 64 because of their killing potential, as opposed to Melee. But I do pull of combos that start out with throws with Mario and Ganon, so I see why they are deemed important. I guess my view of kills>combos made me spew out what you guys saw as nonsense. I shouldn't view things in that manner.

On the plus side, I DO have the hardware and software to play Smash 64!

Hmm, no Brawl? I guess that sounds awesome, what with C!Z coming in. I'll definetely go! I need Melee practice BAD!

Although, this gives me an idea. I think I may start doing tournies...with the full focus on Smash 64! We will have all three! Woot!

~Glory to the Hypno-Toad

DZLE

Smash Master
And DZLE and I'll host Brawl+ tournies... (Sorry, Minato, but that means I'm permanently stealing your Wii! :p) Only kidding, Mini-to.
This sounds like so much win.

Lets give it a month or so though.
(For planning on how/where, see how many people would actually come, and let the mods update a few important things in B+)

EDIT:
@FTS

Bravo, no brawl.

I am so excited for this.

I am actually going to come to this.

C!Z must see how good i have gotten at melee!
(good, not great.)

...probably

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Also, I'm going to make UST 14 be Melee 2v2, Melee 1v1, SF4. Seems like a perfect time for this.
Sounds like my kind of tourney.
Hopefully I feel like getting back into SF IV by May 23rd.

And DZLE and I'll host Brawl+ tournies... (Sorry, Minato, but that means I'm permanently stealing your Wii! :p) Only kidding, Mini-to.
Yeah, sure. But I'll still ignore that last part.

Banned via Warnings

So again...I ask...why?
i enjoy brawl, i wake up excited for it every mornin, pro since luanch date.

Im so wet over brawl still that u might say im a ****. o-o

IM GKIRBY AND I AM A SMASH ADDICT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tg3RPJzIPw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ymGrkRpDY

theres brawl too right? o-o

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman

So again...I ask...why?
Nope I hate Brawl.

In the morning I wake up, I yawn and look at the calendar. I see that something is written down for this day. I look closer and it says "Brawl tourney." I sigh heavily and get into the shower. My showers are extra log on tourney days because I sit their crying, letting the sound of the water drown out my sobs. I get dressed, pack up the Wii and grab some money. I call up my friends and tell them its that day again. None of them want to go, buts its like we have to.

On the way to the tourney I grip my controller, while in the feeble position, and say to myself,"Dont worry its only a couple of hours, you'll get through this. Be strong, be strong." Me and my friends get out of the car. We hug eachother and wish everyone luck and hope that we will make it out today. Then we enter the store.

No duh we enjoy Brawl! If we didnt none of us would be showing up. I just find the game fun. I cant really explain it better then that. :]

(I would do a Brawl+ tourney)

Gojira

Smash Lord
I apreciate everyones input on why they like brawl or not or even if you jsut like the game.

I would love to play smash 64. Its a classic.

Sounds like my kind of tourney.
Hopefully I feel like getting back into SF IV by May 23rd.
"Feel" like it? You ordered a stick so you better be getting back into you smelly brownie.

C!Z

Smash Lord
Hey a Melee only tourney :) Guess you guys won't get to see my Brawl skills haha. So I had an idea for MM's! 2v1's with the exception of some people teaming but I might still try most of em anyways. Errrrbody practice up that tech skill, you'll need it ;)

vazor

Smash Apprentice
Lookout C!Z is going to come and clean house. This tourney is going to be good. I may even play doubles.
Brawl+ will be in the side room. That's where PC was hiding all last tourney... :laugh:

Banned via Warnings
Nope I hate Brawl.

In the morning I wake up, I yawn and look at the calendar. I see that something is written down for this day. I look closer and it says "Brawl tourney." I sigh heavily and get into the shower. My showers are extra log on tourney days because I sit their crying, letting the sound of the water drown out my sobs. I get dressed, pack up the Wii and grab some money. I call up my friends and tell them its that day again. None of them want to go, buts its like we have to.

On the way to the tourney I grip my controller, while in the feeble position, and say to myself,"Dont worry its only a couple of hours, you'll get through this. Be strong, be strong." Me and my friends get out of the car. We hug eachother and wish everyone luck and hope that we will make it out today. Then we enter the store.

No duh we enjoy Brawl! If we didnt none of us would be showing up. I just find the game fun. I cant really explain it better then that. :]

(I would do a Brawl+ tourney)
LOL that was awesome, well said spudz! xD thats better than even my being wet over brawl :D

C!Z

Smash Lord
Oh so I haven't decided who I should team with... I like teams when the other person knows what they're doin so its gotta be someone decent =P Who doesn't have a partner yet?

Top Bottom